• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody saying "right decision but OOF THE SERIES X LAUNCH WOW"

No, a sub-par Halo game is catastrophic for launch and for the franchise.

They should do whatever they have to do.

The thing is, even if it was sub-par, it would of sold gangbusters. The IP alone would given it enough sales to make it worth it.

But Xbox loses a major reason to get the new console off the bat. Curious, are there are other major (AAA type of major) games that are Xbox exclusive that is coming out this year?

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Going to be a lot more interest in Microsoft's August Xbox show beyond just the price now (if it is revealed...)

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Maybe this means RT will be there Day 1 instead of a patch. It definitely hurts their launch but they're not necessarily playing the same game as Sony since they have GamePass, Series S, exclusives straddling generations, etc. so it's not the end of the world. But it's kinda close.

Why launch the box the same month as Sony if they're not playing the same game? Just delay it out of holiday and carve out your own niche in spring of 2021.

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Banned (1 Week) - Platform Warring
Best move big M$ did so far on one hand, since the game looked like a horrible showcase for next gen selling system. On other hand who's gonna buy the system now?! With no Halo on release date, they might as well postpone the system launch as well. No great launch game = no system sellers. Sony is gonna kill it out of the pole postion OMG! No Forza, Gears or Halo games at launch is gonna be a catastrophe for Microsoft.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of annoyed with Schreier here. Microsoft has touted Infinite's development pipeline as trying to actively combat crunch. Why dog pile on a studio that's trying to do right by their employees... I'm sure it just needs more time and they can't get that without massive amounts of OT.

Do you think this is them trying to do right by their employees?

No, the far more likely thing to happen here is that this will results in many additional months of intense work for them.

Oct 31, 2017
Sucks but TLOU was delayed how long? Its always better to wait it out than to rush an unfinished product.
Im happy to wait. Getting the XSX day one to play my backlog on my C9 anyway ;)

3 months (February's initial date to May, I don't really think the delay to June due to logistics is the kind of thing we're talking about). Don't think it's an apt comparison; PS4 wasn't lacking in games last year as the library was huge. It had a few delays early gen (Driveclub and then The Order's delay from 2014 to early 2015). I think what makes this unique is it was the defining killer app of the Series X launch. I don't know what MS has planned for launch as well, but that's a pretty huge deal. It'd be similar to Sony not just delaying Driveclub, but also Killzone, so you have Knack and Resogun. The latter is great, but the launch no longer would have the pop of a huge upcoming racing game and a flagship FPS (putting aside the quality in which it launched).

Dunno how this will affect the Series X launch since current gen consoles did great without a, "EVERYONE STOP AND PLAY THIS GAME," game.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Hope the game turns out OK but i have this feeling that we could potentially be looking at another Crackdown 3 situation.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit

And Microsoft can't delay the xsx due to ps5 launching.

The next gen lineups will be really weak

Sony's seems pretty tight and the first year seems stacked.
Miles Morales, Ratchet, Deathloop, Demon's Souls, Horizon, The Pathless etc. They aren't even done announcing 1st year games.

I said it in another thread, Microsoft aren't ready for the next generation software wise. Their pipelines for the next year or so just aren't there.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Good on them. Hopefully they find some other good starting line up

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's the right call, if it releases in a not-so-good state, it'll be a lot harder to recover from that. Delaying it to make sure it's a solid product at launch is the best choice, even if it hurts the Series X launch.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I hope this does not lead to more delays for other games even for sony. I know personally at my work we had a few big projects and because of corona we were unable to make any new hires/interview and the project completion has been impacted as a result. Luckily for us the customers at the same time had cash flow problems and post-poned/delayed payments so it worked out for us so far but with set release dates for games/consoles you don't have that luxury.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos MS, and lots of it. Near impossible decision but at least they are showing respect to the Halo fanbase rather than rushing it out for launch.

With regards to 343, you just need better developers working on such a tentpole. Time and time again they've shown they just aren't good enough...

ps3ud0 8)

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
In these trying times

1Q3UStL.gif
It's... it's just so fitting.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I'm kind of annoyed with Schreier here. Microsoft has touted Infinite's development pipeline as trying to actively combat crunch. Why dog pile on a studio that's trying to do right by their employees... I'm sure it just needs more time and they can't get that without massive amounts of OT.
Sir, delays only means more crunch. Delays means that they couldn't finish the game even with crunch already happening. It was a good call from MS, but don't expect that devs will be fine.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I will say, it's amazing there isn't one person in here that is like "oh no, how could they do this? I really wanted to play this!"

Just crazy that it's unanimous that no one thought this game had any business being released in the state they showed it.

If 343/MS sees this post, I hope that at least gives them some comfort with this announcement, haha.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Good, it clearly wasn't ready. The last thing they needed was to launch with another Halo game in a totally shambolic state like they did with MCC.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
sad but good

Normally a launch title with this weight would launch no matter the state it's in. So maybe this can be a sign of the industry getting a lil' more mature maybe.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

Jason does right by the community on reporting the mismanagements of all studios equal. not like they are going to scream when Jason posts his article. ND and Rockstar survived and launched their games with massive success.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Best move big M$ did so far on one hand, since the game looked like a horrible showcase for next gen selling system. On other hand who's gonna buy the system now?! With no Halo on release date, they might as well postpone the system launch as well. No great launch game = no system sellers. Sony is gonna kill it out of the pole postion OMG! No Forza, Gears or Halo games at launch is gonna be a catastrophe for Microsoft.
I think M$ is banable term at the moment, might want to edit that.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable with the impact of Covid on such a large scale project but it's still surprising. Still better than releasing it in poor shape. Get it polished up!

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how big an effect COVID truly had on the delay? I mean, it obviously had some, but maybe the game had been in trouble for a long time? After all, didn't the creative director leave last year?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it clearly has issues beyond graphics. Graphics can be touched on after launch. They have other big issues

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the right move. Game certainly needed to be next gen-ified from the showing. It was red flags since they made the statement about how Halo Infinite was going to be a ever evolving game which usually means this game is launching bare bones and we'll finish it after. Plus it gets it out of that jumble of games all launching around the same few weeks with Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed, most likely Call of Duty, the Destiny expansion etc.

Really surprised MS managed to not have stuff like Forza 8 or Halo ready for launch though with how long they have been since the last release.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Sony's seems pretty tight and the first year seems stacked.
Miles Morales, Ratchet, Deathloop, Demon's Souls, Horizon, The Pathless etc. They aren't even done announcing 1st year games.

I said it in another thread, Microsoft aren't ready for the next generation software wise. Their pipelines for the next year or so just aren't there.
Okay? Is Halo Infinite still not launching within the first year? I did not see that in the 343's statement. You don't think Halo Infinite will release until December 2021?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Microsoft will do something to take the sting out of this announcement. I'm curious what it'll be.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Goes to show they value the franchise and the platform it represents more than the launch of a single box, and considering how Xbox as a business works now, this is totally the right move IMO.

The thing is, even if it was sub-par, it would of sold gangbusters. The IP alone would given it enough sales to make it worth it.

But Xbox loses a major reason to get the new console off the bat. Curious, are there are other major (AAA type of major) games that are Xbox exclusive that is coming out this year?

On the short term, that's probably true.

But they made it clear that short term isn't what they were going for with this game, and a bad launch could have completely messed that up as well as devalue the ecosystem they're trying to push.

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I can't imagine the higher ups have to be happy with 343i. They were built from the ground-up to be the new stewards of the Halo franchise but it has not been handled well at all. What a shame.

Hope they take their time and do Infinite/Halo right.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best considering how RTX wasn't even supposed to be implemented until after launch.

This kills the already slim launch lineup though

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Ah fuck me. Well, I guess this seals the deal on the PS5 for me this year. I guess I'll pick up the Series X when Infinite get released.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
I'm shocked but also positively surprised by this move. I don't think the MS from 2 or 3 years before would allow something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is pretty bad for Xbox but I think only short term. As long as the game is good and worth the wait. A rocky console launch clearly isn't an insurmountable problem for them at this point.