• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely sucks in the immediate, but if the title needs the extra time, then it needs the extra time.

Launch is going to be rough for Series X, though.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
I want MS to offer me just as good 1st party games as Sony, and making the hard calls like this is actually big progress towards that. Very happy with the decision, should hopefully let 343 have some breathing room to focus and polish

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this will have a huge hit to the Series S/X launch given how sparse the PS5's lineup will likely be as well, this was the only game for either company that really stuck out as a killer exclusive app likely to be available day 1.
But that's exactly why losing it hurts so much more. Halo being the one standout title in the next gen launch line up gave Microsoft an edge over Sony to win people's attention - and that was obviously very important for MS since Sony is entering the next gen race with great momentum. Now they've lost that edge.

At the end of day, having an underwhelming Halo wouldn't have helped their position either, though. That much became clear when the reception to Halo last month was underwhelming to put it politely. Sucks, but it is what it is. Nothing they can do or could have done about it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious on what 2021 could mean, it could either be March or December

That's what I'm wondering.

If they can't get it out in the spring, I have a feeling they're just going to take the extra time and release it next holiday.

A summer release for a game on the scale of Infinite would seem weird.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
As much as I loved Halo 5's multi, I don't think 343 should make Halo anymore... this is 3 out of 4 troubled launches from them. (Arguably 4 of 4).

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Like really I have trouble getting out of bed sometimes, I can't imagine coordinating and launching a console or even a game in this shit ass year. It feels bad.

Seems strange they would do this less than a month after they announced it for launch. Feels like they failed a gut check before the showcase event on if they should delay but that just made it feel worse now in august.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm not against Halo Infinite from being delayed at all. I completely understand why they had to delay it given the circumstances. But woof, Microsoft is gonna have a much harder time selling the Series X now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Delaying Halo if its the necessary move is not the bad thing. Whats seemingly bad is that they, as of now, have so little for launch/launch window. The ideal was that their hardware ventures would complement GamePass, but with what they have shown re: Series X/S launch thus far its starting to seem like there isn't a lot of synergy between the two things. If GamePass is your top dog (and for MS it seems that way) then delays like this aren't that huge of a deal, people will sub and get the game when its ready. But you are also launching TWO new pieces of gaming hardware this fall and it doesn't seem like there is much incentive for people to buy it. Hell as of now I'm wondering if there is a lot of incentive for even existing Xbox owners to upgrade at launch if they have a One X.

Maybe they're holding back a couple of launch titles to reveal this month, but as of now things look dire for the hardware side of Xbox.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
i wonder if they should have done this before the gameplay reveal event
What's crazy is that either they:

1. Knew a delay would be needed, but decided to premiere it in July claiming a fall launch anyways
2. Really thought that it was in good enough shape to show
3. Knew it was rough, but thought they could pull it together in time

All three options paint a different picture of incompetence or bad decision making.

Maybe Sony bought timed exclusive for Halo on PS5 too ;)

Brutal.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Wow. I can't believe they did it. I understand why, with COVID, and they should take all the time they need, but wow I am still surprised.

My guess is Holiday 2021. Just give it another year while you're at it.

Oh well, gives me more time for next-gen consoles and the backlog later this holiday.
Yeah, I feel like you have to give it all the time it needs and it will make sense to hit for the holiday hype cycle.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect this to release in Spring so XSX is probably gonna have to survive a whole year without a AAA exclusive 😬

Oct 25, 2017
All things considered, sounds like the game would've been really bad had it luanched with Xbox Series X. Delaying the #1 launch game to the next year is no small thing.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Good.
It needed to happen, I didn't think it would, and they pulled the trigger and did it.
GOOD.
As for the Series X|S launch? Shrug. It's not like the entire industry isn't trying to deal with this.
I'm good.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Well, guess there's no reason to buy a Series X at launch for me now. If they only delayed it because of the graphics whining, then fuck me. The MP was about the only thing I was looking forward to in this god forsaken year.

Just saying 2021 sure doesn't give me any optimism in it releasing before next fall either, oof.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great move for gamers.

insane and terrible move for Microsoft. It will be touch against ps5

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
Think it's really smart for PS5 to launch with a super conservative 5-8 hour game with collectibles in same engine as PS4 Spider-Man.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is the plan then? This seems like a fairly large issue for the series X. I know their end game is gamepass but this isn't good for their console front.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This is an excellent decision that I did not see coming, Halo Infinite would have been the system selling title for the Series X. I'm really surprised Microsoft have given them this extra time, but pleasently surprised for sure.

When in 2021 do we think it will be delayed until? I actually can see it being delayed a full year to November 2021. But more likely I think they've been given another 5-6 months at most.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wait wat. Hopefully it is more of a looker next year then. Wonder what the Series X will launch with now.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Be too busy playing Cyberpunk and Yakuza to play it anyway, wonder if they'll have a beta for the multiplayer around launch

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
They have to kill the Xbox One version at this point. It won't be a healthy platform in 2021 and is completely unnecessary now. Cut the losses and focus entirely on Series X and S.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
This must have been one incredibly difficult call to make for XGS and Phil (Honestly, the right one). This just sucks all around for everyone, hope for the best.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely felt this would be the case when the two creative leads at 343 walked away last year.

The writing was on the wall, and the demo shown at the Games Showcase was the nail in the coffin.

Sucks but, hopefully this means they can polish the game up and make it into the system/subscription seller it needs to be.