• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That's okay. Games aren't made by a single person. I'm sure it will still turn out well.

No but the top like 5 people are responsible for acceptance for work, and basically the vision of the game.

you could have all the talent in the world but if you don't have someone who can't take that talent, smash it together with a clear vision and do it in a timely manner your project will stumble

FFXIV is the greatest example of that.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
If you say you like Reach I'm gonna slap you.

i like reach's campaign a fair bit but i don't like the multiplayer all that much, especially the prevalence of ugly gray forge levels in matchmaking and the weird bloom. armor lock is fun in single player but stupid in MP. 3 is probably my ideal for online multiplayer

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Basically just plop me down somewhere in that wide open world they showed in that E3 2018 trailer with that fidelity and a decent game play loop and let me explore. I'll have a good time.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Wait, what?

I thought the general (correct) consensus was that it was largely trash. Pretty, vacuous, trash with bad fan fiction pandering and hollow combat encounters.
No, it was reviewed widely as being one of the best halo story's in a game. I know it's cool to say it's corny but to all the critics, having the story focused on the duo that defined FPS gaming was a big deal. No matter how many times you consider it "melodramatic" everyone else found it cinematic. They finally put effort into showing the differences in the two, Cortana being the machine who's more human than her human partner that acts more like a machine. Like the last convo chief has with lasky at the end of halo 4 was fucking beautiful. I can't fathom of how macho of dude you have to be to have the entire premise of that game come off to you as corny. The writing was so damn good, Cortana especially. And lol at all the stop making Cortana the center of halo, what did you guys think halo 3 was about lol? Majority of it was saving Cortana.

Now back to the facts, it was shitted on by the gaming community for its multiplayer. For some reason on neogaf (well they hate everything MS so not the best example) and here halo 4's campaign gets a bad wrap but in the halo community everyone loves it (now, it was reaaaaaaaaaaaaally Hated on during launch but the halo community does that with every launch halo game so...) so its really just some game forums. You guys can watch a review or something, people act like you threw a baby when you say halo 4 was critically well received lol like where making it up or something. Halo 4 was like the end game of halo, not in the sense of it being a conclusion ofc, more so because it took well established characters and relationships and put them through the wringer. That's kind of the vernal jist of halo 4. And for Christ sake YES I'm aware of the run here press a button there missions and the mp, but believe it or not the story was still good.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Shit really?

I sound like a dick but my hype is back
It's definitely right up near the top of my list. OG Titanfall might beat it out just because it was so different and fun. Nothing matches it for custom game options, impeccable player movement mechanics, and excellent precision gunplay unless you go back to Counter Strike on PC.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Cortana melodrama has been a heavy part of the franchise since Halo 2 at least. You could easily argue it's present in Halo CE as well. 343 just added actual character development to the mix in Halo 4. The series has been described as a space opera ad nauseum since its debut, so complaining about melodrama comes off as a bit bizarre.
Thank fuck someone understands. I hear all this space opera shit and I'm like yo, that is LITERALLY what halo is. With a touch of lovevraft horror sprinkled throughout. Sure it may not be everyone's cup of tea but that what halo is no if ands or buts about it. Halo 4 was just the first halo to not move the story along entirely through corny one liners, people actually talked like people. And somehow that's more melodramatic than the previous games?? Halo 2 was half a damn Shakespeare book because of the covenant and arbiter and NOW halo is being melodramatic???? 🤦🏾‍♂️. Like dislike halo 4 as much as you want, each their own. But calling it out on things that halo has always been about is just stupid.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
This is what I can't comprehend with hate bandwagons. Again, I am not making this up. I had the steel book version of this game, I remember watching all the reviews before it's launch. Hate the game, say the story sucks fine that's your opinion. But the general critic consensus was that the main saving grace of halo 4 was the story. You think it got good reviews because of it multiplayer?? Or what, you think spartan ops pushed it to get numerous 9/10's 😂😂😂😂. Just YouTube it buddy it's fun trip down memory lane tbh.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A tad concerning. I know about a game that had a (creative) director leave 2-3 times and every single time someone else with a new vision took their spot and basically rebooted the game. It's a mess. It's still not released despite having been shown multiple times at E3 lol

I hope this project is a bit more stable

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
A tad concerning. I know about a game that had a (creative) director leave 2-3 times and every single time someone else with a new vision took their spot and basically rebooted the game. It's a mess. It's still not released despite having been shown multiple times at E3 lol

I hope this project is a bit more stable

Is it cyberpunk?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Tim Longo was the guy that forced that 4 players at all times in the campaign cause that worked so well for republic commando...

As far as I'm concerned, this can only be positive.
He also was the creative director of a HALO game where you play as Master Chief for 30% of the game. Master Chief.....the most iconic character in the Xbox Brand.

Yes. I actually assumed they had a new creative lead after they announced certain hires over a year ago...and maybe they did. There's always been creative differences within 343. The studio was started with a lot of people that didn't like the Classic Halo formula. Now they're going back to their roots a bit.

Again the only weird part about this is that he technically held the title of campaign lead so long and is leaving now. If this were announced a year ago, think most Halo fans would've been good with it. No offense to Tim but I don't think he was the right fit for this franchise. Just wished he was replaced sooner. Or maybe he was and it just wasn't official. We don't know right now.

Also the biggest difference between this and Anthem is that Halo isn't a new franchise. There's a template. There is a lot to fall back on. A lot of things they know did and didn't work in the past. If anything, this is similar to the Naughty Dog and UC4 situation.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Longo was responsible for some of the worst halo games we've got. Also major cheerleader for a lot of terrible design decisions. I'm sure he's very talented but he's not meant for Halo.

Wish him the best in the future.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Equating an on-rails shooter to Halo is not accurate at all, in my opinion.

I liked the more intimate story of H4. It was a nice change after saving the galaxy.

As a set up for a new arc it was terrible, if it had been the last we saw of Cortana that might've been it's one saving grace.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like reach's campaign a fair bit but i don't like the multiplayer all that much, especially the prevalence of ugly gray forge levels in matchmaking and the weird bloom. armor lock is fun in single player but stupid in MP. 3 is probably my ideal for online multiplayer
Ok...you're one of the good critics.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
The sheer amount of damage control in this thread makes my head hurt. Development on Halo 2, Cyberpunk, and Uncharted 4 has zero to do with anything happening on Halo Infinite, and pointless, unsourced statements are a waste of time.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
The sheer amount of damage control in this thread makes my head hurt. Development on Halo 2, Cyberpunk, and Uncharted 4 has zero to do with anything happening on Halo Infinite, and pointless, unsourced statements are a waste of time.
Exactly so how about we not overreact and wait and see how it pans out?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They finally put effort into showing the differences in the two, Cortana being the machine who's more human than her human partner that acts more like a machine.

I'mma stop your right there.

Aside from the fact many find Halo 4's campaign horribly underwhelming, badly designed and a poor starting point for this new series of Halo titles, the differences between Chief & Cortana have already been shown before and to much better effect.

Halo 1 achieved that and stomps Halo 4 into the dirt in it's hokey characterisation of the two protagonists.

Had Cortana remained dead, at least Halo 4 would be remembered fondly as her final farewell, but they couldn't even do that.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It was obviously Microsoft's decision to release him from his role as creative director. I don't think his departure will change the vision of the game.
We will have to wait and see if it's for the better or worse (though we will really never know).

Neil Druckmann and "Miyamota" (he is called Miyamoto) in one sentence. What a time to be alive.
DfxCky8VQAA-5G1.jpg

Like man, no offense Klobrille but that's a childish post.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough Stinkles lack of appearance here means one of two things. This is a big deal and he doesn't want to comment or it's not a big deal and he knows that if he tries to calm down the masses here it will be seen as a PR move to save face and won't be believed. Amazing how there is never a good answer.

I assume the latter but it's funny how he can't win no matter what.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I can't comprehend with hate bandwagons. Again, I am not making this up. I had the steel book version of this game, I remember watching all the reviews before it's launch. Hate the game, say the story sucks fine that's your opinion. But the general critic consensus was that the main saving grace of halo 4 was the story. You think it got good reviews because of it multiplayer?? Or what, you think spartan ops pushed it to get numerous 9/10's 😂😂😂😂. Just YouTube it buddy it's fun trip down memory lane tbh.
man i care not one whit about Halo reviews from publications, being a former hardcore Halo player. Regardless of the whole 3.8 out of 4.0 ratings mechanic that damages game media credibility with large flagship projects for companies. I just recall that it was impossible to get all of my friends together for any kind of coop playthrough because they all just beat the game and reboxed it, unless they played with the MP for a little while and THEN reboxed it. My friend group wasn't unique, because I heard stories like that everywhere. Did games media journalists like Halo4? Did they say "all in all, considering everything, the campaign isn't bad, it isn't horrible, it may even be a saving grace"? Maybe, I didn't hear or read or pay much attention to what they were paid to say, but I did notice that I wasn't playing and re-playing Halo4 for years after getting it, and the MP populations were anemic compared to previous games.

"hate bandwagons" ...revisionist history or what?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough Stinkles lack of appearance here means one of two things. This is a big deal and he doesn't want to comment or it's not a big deal and he knows that if he tries to calm down the masses here it will be seen as a PR move to save face and won't be believed. Amazing how there is never a good answer.

I assume the latter but it's funny how he can't win no matter what.
Why does he need to comment on his companies internal dealings? Its not the buisness of anyone here how or why someone left or whether or not its affecting development, and depending on the situation, kind of disrespectful. Nobody here is owed any explanation.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Tim Longo was responsible for some of the worst halo games we've got. Also major cheerleader for a lot of terrible design decisions. I'm sure he's very talented but he's not meant for Halo.

Wish him the best in the future.
Yeah, could have basically closed the thread at this. He did great work on Republic Commando and the Tomb Raider reboot, but fumbled Halo 5's campaign spectacularly. I'm surprised he wasn't shuffled around ages ago.

Promote Tom French from multiplayer director to creative director 343i. That man has his finger on the pulse, and I trust him and Sparth both to do a spectacular job more than anyone else.

Last edited:

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Can't say I've really enjoyed Halo 4/5 campaigns so maybe a change of direction will be a good thing.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it will not not effect the game and gets it back to what made Halo Halo.
The bar can't get much lower than 4 and 5.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still love Halo 4 and despite being obviously flawed I enjoyed 5.

I doubt very much that one person being moved around and leaving, nor the insincere 'concern' of a few commenters is going to have any impact on me enjoying Infinite. Nor should it bother anybody else who was looking forward to it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Halo:Anthem

I'm done giving 343i the benefit of the doubt.

Anthem situation doesn't compare. Halo Infinite could turn out any way at this point but not the same things. Anthem didn't even know what it wanted to be when it grew up. Halo has an identity, core gameplay and a game engine tailored to it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
huh. I was under the impression he wasn't the lead for Infinite, though i knew he was still there. What I'd previously heard is that the guy who was mentioned here, Chris Lees, has been the lead since the start.

Also Halo 5 was good. Tim worked on Republic Commando so it's pretty clear why they got him, given the squad focus of the game. Not all of that panned out but it was serviceable, and the rest of the gameplay was some of my fav since 1.

I can't say how this might affect the game, but it's not as if we know a particularly large amount about its structure at this point. We shall see.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The only thing that concerns me is the Creative Director is gone before we've even seen any gameplay, like at all. We know as much about Infinite as we do about Metroid Prime 4....Let that sink in for a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think this game will be fine. 343i has gotten a lot of talent over the last few years. They've got their base engine and core gameplay mechanics down.