• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
A creative director leaving a year and a half from launch? Woah.
I get leaving like 4 months max before because by then its mostly bug fixing and less content adjustment that needs proper creative direction, but this far out a ton of stuff can change, and at the same time this should be the critical phase of the project. Hopefully they can still pull it off though.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I work in advertising and not game development, so the comparison might not be apples-to-apples here, but...

Last time a Creative Director departed, it spelled bad news internally.

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining.
Without context, this is hardly newsworthy. What are we to do with this information?

Right now, the whole thing stinks of click bait.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Am I misreading that article or does it sound like they offered him a different role and he decided to leave ?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Copied from the duplicate thread:

It's not a safe assumption that it's a sign of issues. Turnover happens every single week at large companies. Admittedly it's less common with Directors, but even so the change could be for any number of reasons.

While it's neat to appreciate the individuals working on games, I wouldn't be able to draw anything meaningful from this information.

Gonna follow you and also gonna copy this from the duplicate thread :D

The Creative Director first getting assigned a new role and then leaving the company a few weeks later, with one of the executive producers assuming a bigger role in the development is absolutely a sign that things are not going as planned. This could be negligible or even beneficial in the long run, but the Director of a game he already worked on for close to four years doesn't just lose his position and then leave the company if development goes smoothly.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Longo, an industry veteran who also served as creative director for Halo 5, had moved to a different role a few weeks ago, according to two people familiar with goings-on at 343. This week, he left the company entirely.
This's interesting...
So it's safe to assume that the core gameplay/structure is finished and all the remaining time to launch will be spent on tweaks and making sure the experience is as pretty and flawless as it's possible.
Could be, but could also mean the studio is going full on crunch mode for the next 15 months rebuilding the campaign and fixing as much as they can. The fact he changed position (if you're a creative director that must mean a downgrade which means he was probably forced) makes me feel MS wasn't happy with the product and wanted an immediate change.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I mean, Infinite is going to have a TON of tools at its disposable to be a mega hit that Halo 5 did not have.

- Day 1 Game Pass for Xbox One, Scarlett, and PC already means millions of people having access without buying it right off the bat
- Play Anywhere functionality
- twitch / Mixer streaming is everything now. Tons of high profile PC streamers like summit, shroud, Doc, Ninja, etc. will be playing the PC version giving it insane exposure at launch
- Much longer development time to get things right
- Brand new, next-gen engine

For this game to bomb, 343 would have to fuck up on historical proportions.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Tim the best.. He was responsible for introducing squad/co-op to Halo 5s campaign and It seems many Halo fans didn't like that but I thought it was great though... Hope we see more of the game at XO19.

May 18, 2018
Longo, an industry veteran who also served as creative director for Halo 5, had moved to a different role a few weeks ago, according to two people familiar with goings-on at 343. This week, he left the company entirely.

So it seems like he got moved, didn't like his new role so he left.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
This, combined with the fact that we saw basically nothing of the game at E3, points to some troubled development on this project for sure. Things are clearly not in a great place.
It doesn't really mean much of anything, the game is still very far off, and we saw an in game in engine cutscene.

There is nothing that points to the game CLEARLY not being in a good place.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I mean, Infinite is going to have a TON of tools at its disposable to be a mega hit that Halo 5 did not have.

- Day 1 Game Pass for Xbox One, Scarlett, and PC already means millions of people having access without buying it right off the bat
- twitch / Mixer streaming is everything now. Tons of high profile PC streamers like summit, shroud, Doc, Ninja, etc. will be playing the PC version giving it insane exposure at launch

Its not really about the game bombing, the game will do fine whatever happens.

Its about the game being a true wow moment for Xbox.

Oct 17, 2018

It's 343, they just have to do what they normally do for them to fuck up.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Its not really about the game bombing, the game will do fine whatever happens.

Its about the game being a true wow moment for Xbox.

Yeah, I don't think it will bomb either. That's practically impossible, and I'm sure the game will look stunning on Scarlett and PC so they will have their wow moment but the gameplay still needs to be good, especially the MP where they need to retain their playerbase.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The sky is falling
Bawooahwaaoowaaoowaaa
Huuumannsss something something something
Waowaowaowah waowah

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The concern trolling is fun
Some of you are getting really defensive in here. This could mean nothing, but in general changing the creative director a year before release isn't a good sign. People said the same thing with Anthem and nobody accused them of doing it just for concern trolling.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019

This won't help if the game turns out to be bad.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Some of you are getting really defensive in here. This could mean nothing, but in general changing the creative director a year before release isn't a good sign. People said the same thing with Anthem and nobody accused them of doing it just for concern trolling.

No.

People are not being defensive about concern trolling when that's blatantly what's happening.

Turnovers happen. Even at this level.

Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the biggest game of 2020 and it's CD left over a year before the game is due to be out. Sky's not falling there. How strange.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the role of the creative director exactly ? Does he work on the story of the game too ?

Creative Directors are responsible for the vision of the game and making sure that the design teams meet that vision. Neil Druckmann and Miyamoto are two iconic creative directors responsible for beloved series.

Edit: fixed a typo because apparently that's the focus of this post.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am more interested to see if Infinite gets a beta of sorts soon. Halo 5 had a beta in January of the year they released, and 343 has made it clear they want actual betas for their games and not just demos. So it would make sense if we had a beta in the next 6 or so months.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
No.

People are not being defensive about concern trolling when that's blatantly what's happening.

Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the biggest game of 2020 and it's CD left over a year before the game is due to be out. Sky's not falling there. How strange.
I was literally about to post this. And Anthem had a well documented troubled development as noted by no less than Kotaku which we have zero reason to believe that here. So yes when someone says this is Anthem yes it comes across as concern trolling period.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I see we're already at the pearl clutching and sky is falling phase. Especially with people namedropping anthem, as if the creative lead on Anthem was the problem with the game, not that the project was mismanaged for years and the actual game came together in 6 months.

Never change Era

I mean, that tends to happen when the Captain of your ship leaves.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So it's safe to assume that the core gameplay/structure is finished and all the remaining time to launch will be spent on tweaks and making sure the experience is as pretty and flawless as it's possible.
Possible, they said they want to avoid crunch on this game.
This, combined with the fact that we saw basically nothing of the game at E3, points to some troubled development on this project for sure. Things are clearly not in a great place.
I was concerned when they did not show the campaign at this E3. Aside from that cutscene.
Post Halo 2 they have never shown gameplay more than a year before launch

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
This's interesting...

Could be, but could also mean the studio is going full on crunch mode for the next 15 months rebuilding the campaign and fixing as much as they can. The fact he changed position (if you're a creative director that must mean a downgrade which means he was probably forced) makes me feel MS wasn't happy with the product and wanted an immediate change.
Best plausible theory tbh.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the game is still an ambitious re-invisioning of the franchise, and not something too safe or too iterative.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Turnover doesn't work like that when the article indicates he was removed from his position a mere year and not left for personal reasons.

As for CY2077 there was some concern, not at the same level but that's probably because one studio made the witcher 3 and the 2 amazing dlc before CY2077 while the other made Halo 4 and 5 which both didn't have the best received campaigns to say the least.