• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man the only thing this reminds me of is that the gae was supposed to be out this week and we have only like 15 minutes worth of footage and not even a screenshot of the multi-player...

Microsoft has to do something about 343 after infinite drops, very soon

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"We actually have these t-shirts, I didn't wear it today, which is Craig's face. I love that the team embraced that, it was just so funny. Yeah. I think Craig will be around for many, many decades in the Halo lore. You'll find his pictures all over the place. Yeah. Probably in games somewhere," Spencer says, laughing.
I don't think I have the stomach for this. 🤮

Ghostbound

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So this is cringey, but recreating a bunch of meme gifs with your game is funny and cool. Got it. Let me just jot that down in my notebook.

i guess these reactions here are just proof that the meme was never in good fun like some here tried to imply. I guess it was always just a way of making fun of the devs after all. I'm so sorry that 343 is taking ownership of your dumb harassment tool.

True. Some of these posters are so transparent.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Why is this so cringe to you all? You realize the people making this game are also people! They just had their game shit on and delayed to who knows when, I'm sure morale was pretty low. Let them have their fun and make light of a bad situation. The devs aren't responsible for the awful decision making at the top.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
I see what they're trying to do here but This seems like punishment tbh almost like, you embarrassed us so you gotta wear this shirt to remind you of your failure

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys....being a console warrior is serious business! Gotta keep putting down the other team and elevating yours up!!! Cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Yeah thats pretty cringey.

I get it that turning a negative thing of your game looking bad into a funny thing can be a wise approach but you have to know when to stop before its getting embarrasing.

Wearing tshirts is just dumb.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I reckon somewhere would be nice since your opinion that my comparison is invalid is pretty pointless without any arguments of your own.

Like I'm genuinely curious why you think one company embracing a meme is great while another one doing it internally is suddenly cringy instead. I just think it's a good thing to embrace the stuff and thus the criticism than trying to sweep it under the rug, and it's by far not the first time a dev team embraced a meme, criticism or in this time, both.
They initially embraced the memes (born from criticism) and that was all fine, people here actually commended them for that and for listening, but now they keep stretching the whole thing, same with the actual Xbox fridge and it feels just kind of desperate, we all moved on from that but Xbox insists on embracing the memes even more as if saying "we were never mad that these became a thing! See? See?".
I won't elaborate further because some mod might think I'm pulling some kind of console wars bullshit which I despise (and anyone can check my posts if they want, I don't hide them), but if after that you still think your comparison is valid, then I don't think there's convincing you otherwise. And as I said, I hate engaging too much into these worthless topics.

I get it that turning a negative thing of your game looking bad into a funny thing can be a wise approach but you have to know when to stop before its getting embarrassing.
Basically this.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty cringe trying too make that Craig into some comic thing so that people would forget how the reveal went.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

I get it that turning a negative thing of your game looking bad into a funny thing can be a wise approach but you have to know when to stop before its getting embarrasing.

Embarrassing to who? They're not selling the shirts. They didn't even post a picture of them. Phil mentioned this in an interview specifically in response to being asked about the meme's impact.

Sad, since this was such a great interview and people are latching onto the most inconsequential part of it.

It's pretty cringe trying too make that Craig into some comic thing so that people would forget how the reveal went.

If you'd actually watch the interview, Spencer talks a lot about the mistake of revealing Infinite when they did. It's not about making people forget.

Some of you really just want the devs to feel hurt, huh? I'm sure they were already aware of every compromise we saw during the game's reveal. But the artists aren't the ones that decide when a trailer or game ships.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Incarnate
wqsh17h35o621.jpg

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
They initially embraced the memes (born from criticism) and that was all fine, people here actually commended them for that and for listening, but now they keep stretching the whole thing, same with the actual Xbox fridge and it feels just kind of desperate, we all moved on from that but Xbox insists on embracing the memes even more as if saying "we were never mad that these became a thing! See? See?".
I won't elaborate further because some mod might think I'm pulling some kind of console wars bullshit (and anyone can check my posts if they want, I don't hide them), but if after that you still think your comparison is valid, then I don't think there's convincing you otherwise. And as I said, I hate engaging too much into these worthless topics.
As far as Craig, if it was Microsoft posting these on their own social media and actually promoting it then I'd agree however this was from an interview that was only brought up because a question was specifically asked about Craig. They weren't throwing it in front of people's faces and who knows how long ago these shirts were actually made by the internal dev team.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i don't know if it's cringe, but that meme symbolized a reaction so horrible they delayed a game, lost another director, and eventually could lead to some bad news for the studio as a whole.

as an employee might be a way to say fuck you to management though

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be an Easter egg tucked away into a corner of a campaign map that's difficult to reach and that your stomach will also settle after seeing it.
I mean the comment about us having to endure decades of Phil saying "Hey remember Craig? Remember how we were were totally positive about that and made it our own? Wasn't that so funny? Don't you love our PR team? Don't you think we're totally gamers just like you? Remember that guys? Memes, right?"

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if everyone they take off the project gets a free t-shirt.

Pretty light hearted thing. It's not like they have pictures with everyone wearing the shirts as a publicity thing, that would be cringe.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I mean the comment about us having to endure decades of Phil saying "Hey remember Craig? Remember how we were were totally positive about that and made it our own? Wasn't that so funny? Don't you love our PR team? Don't you think we're totally gamers just like you? Remember that guys? Memes, right?"
The horror.

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
*looks at thread

Yo, what even is cringe anymore?

Anyway, this could boost the morale over at 343i. Embrace the failure, learn from it, than reminisce on where you were and how far you've potentially gotten.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

It wasn't 'negative' because the game looked bad. It was negative because it spurred an intensely toxic wave of trolling, fanboyism and attacks on the devs.
You know this. Yet it's 'embarrassing' because they've taken the sting out of it and made it into a powerless in-house joke.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Era: 'OMG game studios treat their employees like cogs in a machine!'

Also Era: ' OMG, why are these people having fun?! Get back to being cogs in a machine!'

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Its actually made Halo even more popular which wasn't the meme intended effect. This rubbed people the wrong way.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly, I think it's refreshing to hear that a corporate exec is self-aware enough to spin shortcomings into something humorously self deprecating.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Any other studio would take the time to revamp the brute model with the delay, but nope, these guys took the time to make a shirt out of it to wear to work.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Just cringing for anything these days, huh? I wonder how some of y'all make it through a day. Can't be productive when you're physically reeling and flinching every 30 seconds.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda "eh, whatever, maybe a bit much a bit after the fact (although time is...a thing at the moment)", but considering how it has folks working themselves into a shoot that they can't use it any more, I'm for it.

065.gif

At the very least, it's no more or less dafter than the "let's have our character recreate this famous reference" gifs

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's not different from what we do using memes as avatars.

Honestly, it could be the path to take the franchise. Less regal and sumptuous and more relaxed and fun. It could revitalize the franchise for younger audiences who doesn't care about it rn.

Oct 27, 2017
I won't elaborate further because some mod might think I'm pulling some kind of console wars bullshit which I despise (and anyone can check my posts if they want, I don't hide them), but if after that you still think your comparison is valid, then I don't think there's convincing you otherwise. And as I said, I hate engaging too much into these worthless topics.

Basically this.
No I don't think they're doing this for marketing purposes. The fridge thing is marketing but I don't think it is possible for anyone to be upset that the XSX is a conventional box. So there's not much of an insult to embrace or whatever. It was at worst a light joke.

Wearing a Craig shirt does not sound like the type of thing a marketing department deploys as part of some branding strategy. It's probably just a few employees having a chuckle. I feel like they're only likely to make a joke like that around the office if they believe the final product will look a lot better, probably best to wait and hear from someone at 343 before assuming the worst though.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised about the negative Nancy posts itt

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Haha the game is in development hell

Game missed it's launch and they keep "celebrating" the meme months after giving no update on the game that was supposed to be out for launch, cool. So funny

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era posters are acting like kids who hate when they're parents are into the things they like

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Haha the game is in development hell

Game missed it's launch and they keep "celebrating" the meme months after giving no update on the game that was supposed to be out for launch, cool. So funny

Yeah, if I was staff I sure as hell would want to be wearing a shirt of a meme jab that helped kill the game's launch and send it into extended crunch time. Demotivating as fuck.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Any other studio would take the time to revamp the brute model with the delay, but nope, these guys took the time to make a shirt out of it to wear to work.

Do... do you think the developers who made the model put time aside to make a t-shirt? You know 343 has a merchandise department right?