• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
But is it the perfect model for consumers? Which should be your concerns as stakeholder unless your a shareholder?
Why wouldn't you want a continuous stream of content for your favourite games?

And price wise, yes gamepass is perfect for consumers. A monthly fee, for a pretty great library of games, sounds good to me.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GaaS can mean quite a lot of things. And Halo has been GaaS for ages now.

Smh @ people, not understanding what the term means. It does not need to involve micro transactions whatsoever.

YUP.

I mean, I know what GaaS means, been gaming for 2 decades now. Like I said, it initially turned me off when I saw it because Halo has never been pitched as a GaaS product in the past. Games nowadays seem to be going that route in order to make a profit and I don't knock it, I just didn't like the sound of it initially as it could be used as an excuse to milk us gamers. That's all.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't think we'll ever get a full fledged solid campaign in Halo again. GaaS just never seems to focus on a great narrative story like...ever...It's sad really. Nostalgia is one helluva drug..

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it kind of seems like the direction Microsoft has been going in for a while with their recent projects? It's how they make the most money off something like Game Pass.

Jun 26, 2018
source.gif

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I am so displeased with this news i'm gonna wait for Halo Finite instead.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't you want a continuous stream of content for your favourite games?

And price wise, yes gamepass is perfect for consumers. A monthly fee, for a pretty great library of games, sounds good to me.

Not could. Will.

Halo 5 was already GaaS. And personally, I think it's one of the few good ones at that (though significantly undermined by the dearth of content it had at launch).
Like quote I mention above there incentives to release the game in what they think is the minimal acceptable state and release content in small regular basis to keep people subbed. Quality of the product become less in important when subs are involved. Games that can't be monetize become less viable to make. So no it doesn't so as good as you make it out to be.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a Halo campaign experience.
4 and 5 were the worst ever.
Hopefully we get it this time.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Water is wet.

Sea of Thieves is GaaS, Forza Horizon 4 is GaaS, State of Decay 2 is GaaS, Gears of War 4 is GaaS, Halo 5 is GaaS, Forza Motorsport 7 is GaaS.

Heck, you could even say MCC is GaaS.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you don't know what the fuck GaaS actually means.

Paradox Games model is expansion pack after expansion and their games are 100% GaaS. You don't get to redefine the term.
Redefining the term is exactly what people who claim that traditional expansions are GaaS are doing.

Morrowind, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, etc are not GaaS. A game having post-launch support and/or paid expansions packs isn't enough to make it a GaaS. The primary focus has to be on the "service". The above mentioned games have the focus on the game and the content that comes later is more game, not a "service". GaaS games are almost always online games as well.

Trying to associate traditional expansion content with GaaS is just an attempt to normalize GaaS and downplay the exploitative nature of GaaS.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure hope all Xbox games don't adopt that ideology but it won't surprise me if they did.

Doesn't inspire confidence in the campaign either.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Like quote I mention above there incentives to release the game in what they think is the minimal acceptable state and release content in small regular basis to keep people subbed. Quality of the product become less in important when subs are involved. Games that can't be monetize become less viable to make. So no it doesn't so as good as you make it out to be.
I agree that too much of Halo 5's DLC was them simply playing catch-up, and bringing it to a favourable state. But they still added ~15 maps, and by the time Halo 5's content stream was ended, there were ~32 maps (with round ~20 being originals). Admittedly some of these were remixes, but the amount of content Halo 5 has today dwarfs the vast majority of shooters over this past decade. And you can access it all for a single retail purchase + XBL.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: console wars
I'm shocked at this news. Shocked I tell you.

This was inevitable, once Microsoft first party games started selling less and less.

For the most part, Sony's first party stuff sells like hot cakes, so they don't have to do this shit.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope their support plan is better than what they did with Halo 5 where all they did was fill in the anemic multiplayer with poor implementations of missing game types and awful maps, and add cosmetics to their loot boxes.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet They would take note from Destiny or even *gasp* Anthem. Development Timeline perfectly match as well. Only time will tell if it's what Halo fans want. Not what MS fans want for the good of game pass or Xbox division well being

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I am against first-party launch games taking the GaaS route especially if its the flagship franchise of the console. Keep it simple people especially at the beginning. The last thing the next Xbox needs is to have its launch period dominated by news on how the latest iteration of its flagship franchise, Halo, does not have enough content or has tons of bugs.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Having not played a halo game since Reach id like to know if GaaS for halo would just be a continuation of the stuff they did with 5 with microtransactions?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I take this to mean more that they can evolve what they did with Halo 5

More multiplayer evolution as the game ages
More Modes and features on regular update schedules

Halo 5 launched without firefight for example and then warzone firefight was announced and basically became one of the biggest modes Halo has ever had

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I'm alright with it if they do it well... but they won't have a great track record of GaaS without those games being extremely light on initial content. Also anytime they have chased trends they've ended up with mud on their face (lootboxes / warzone via Halo 5 / Gears 4 most recently). I just don't trust them enough to do this. Their new studios need to learn how walk before they can run; create compelling, acclaimed, admired games that stick first. Then they should experiment with the formula.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaas
Redefining the term is exactly what people who claim that traditional expansions are GaaS are doing.

Morrowind, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, etc are not GaaS. A game having post-launch support and/or paid expansions packs isn't enough to make it a GaaS. The primary focus has to be on the "service". The above mentioned games have the focus on the game and the content that comes later is more game, not a "service". GaaS games are almost always online games as well.

Trying to associate traditional expansion content with GaaS is just an attempt to normalize GaaS and downplay the exploitative nature of GaaS.

ask MatPiscatella every game you listed there is defined as GaaS by the industry. The very definition of GaaS is haveing post-launch support and/or paid expansions.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
As long as I don't have to pay a subscription and can buy the game outright I'm all in for this hell future we have created.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
So crushingly disappointing as Halo 5 was then. I expect nothing and I'm still let down.

I don't blame you. Luckily, I purchased an xbox one and Halo 5 after the game had been out a while, and the controversy towards the campaign was already well-known. So I went in with low expectations. But the marketing for the campaign and stuff like that almost seemed criminal in how misleading it was. At least with Halo 3 and its epic marketing, I don't think it ever really went into the realm of straight out lies.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I agree that too much of Halo 5's DLC was them simply playing catch-up, and bringing it to a favourable state. But they still added ~15 maps, and by the time Halo 5's content stream was ended, there were ~32 maps (with round ~20 being originals). Admittedly some of these were remixes, but the amount of content Halo 5 has today dwarfs the vast majority of shooters over this past decade. And you can access it all for a single retail purchase + XBL.
If the game release with BTB from the start I'd used Halo 5 as a template for how to release "Gaas" type games.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaas

ask MatPiscatella every game you listed there is defined as GaaS by the industry. The very definition of GaaS is haveing post-launch support and/or paid expansions.
Its incorrectly defined in that case then.

The very definition of GaaS is having an ongoing service, support and service only have a small overlap in the Venn Diagram. Pre-planned singleplayer expansion content and bugfixes/QoL improvement patches don't quality as an ongoing service.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The very definition of GaaS is having an ongoing service, support and service only have a small overlap in the Venn Diagram. Pre-planned singleplayer expansion content and bugfixes/QoL improvement patches don't quality as an ongoing service.
DLC is GaaS. Again you may not like the definition that the actual industry has set but that's on you. It's ok to like GaaS even. Some of my favorite games this gen are GaaS

Bloodborne
Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
MLB the Show
Spider-Man
MGSV

This whole notion of GaaS as evil is stupid tbh

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

You're incorrectly and narrowly redefining the term. It isn't what you think.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DLC is GaaS. Again you may not like the definition that the actual industry has set but that's on you. It's ok to like GaaS even. Some of my favorite games this gen are GaaS

Bloodborne
Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
MLB the Show
Spider-Man
MGSV

This whole notion of GaaS as evil is stupid tbh
I'm not familiar with Bloodborne, MLB, or MGSV so I can't comment on them but HZD, BotW, and Spider-Man aren't GaaS. Like I said, pre-planned expansion content doesn't make a service.

Now GaaS isn't explicitly evil as a format, it does easily lend itself to exploitative practices as one of the key means of maximizing and maintaining revenue from GaaS is to keep players playing as long as possible and to siphon as much money from individual players as possible (monopolizing time and wallets).

Sometimes GaaS can be less egregious, especially when the initial game is F2P. Sometimes it can be blatantly exploitative especially when the game itself cost money, they sell season passes, and they sell microtransactions *cough*CODBO4*cough*.