• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
The "infinite" part may be a clue.
Halo Infinite appears primed to get its big debut at E3 2019, but it may be a very different kind of game. Comments from Kiki Wolfkill, the head of Halo trans-media at 343, has added more reason to believe that the studio is imagining this as an ongoing game or live service.

"We have to be able to change content quickly," Wolfkill said at Fortune's Brainstorm Design conference. "We can't afford to wait three years every time we drop a new product and have it be a black box because the games kids are playing are changing every week."

The reference to a three-year development cycle as outdated, paired with the title of Halo Infinite itself, would seem to suggest that Microsoft and 343 are planning this entry as an ongoing game of some sort. That would also make sense alongside her reference of games that kids are playing currently. It sounds like a reference to games like Fortnite, which issues regular challenge updates and new equipment between its large seasonal updates.

Wolfkill also referenced "having a set of rules that people can engage with and buy into for years to come."
More at link
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...ice-structu/1100-6465482/?ftag=GSS-05-10aab8e

Jan 2, 2018
I have zero issues with that,as long as there is a robust,well made camapign and not some Destiny/Division campaign.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
As long as the game is good, I don't care. AC: Origins / Odyssey are "GaaS" and those are fantastic experiences.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Not surprised, my first thought when I saw that trailer was that Infinite will effectively replace Waypoint and be a hub for all future Halo content.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just keep the content flowing and make sure Forge is goddamn amazing and all will be good.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
As did every halo since Halo 2...just more formal now.
we will prolly see more campaign stuff like they did with Halo 4.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This was immediatelly obvious when we learned it's called Infinite.

My heart kind of dropped then, I actually liked 4 & 5 and hoped for more "classic" Halo entries.

And I disagree 5 was GaaS, you could definitely treat it as if it wasn't, anyway.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean, wasn't it obvious? It's called Infinite for exactly that reason.

It's also going to be a looter shooter with carrot on the stick endgame progression.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
343's ongoing commitment to fixing and maintaining the Master Chief Collection kind of implied this.

I watched a recent interview with Bonnie Ross, and she was saying all the right things about the campaign and multiplayer being of equal importance to the Halo series. So as a campaign die-hard I'm less worried than I might have been that players like me will be served as Halo evolves to find its place in a shooter landscape that looks dramatically different than it did even as recently as Halo 5's debut.

Between Halo 5 directly addressing many of the issues with Halo 4, and 343 pouring so much care into the MCC, I'm much more excited than concerned that big changes are on the horizon for one of my all time favorite franchises.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This was immediatelly obvious when we learned it's called Infinite.

My heart kind of dropped then, I actually liked 4 & 5 and hoped for more "classic" Halo entries.
Halo 5 was more-or-less a GaaS too.

Games as a Service is a really broad concept (I'd argue it dates back to The Sims) and I don't think it precludes having a "classic" Halo. Like, I don't think the game's gonna turn into Destiny all of a sudden.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Hope that doesn't mean they'll release it with barely any content at launch and promise "it'll be good" in the future

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expect most of MS' first party output to be some sort of GaaS in the future due to the nature of gamepass - it's the perfect model for them.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
343 doesn't have a great track record with campaigns.
At least Halo 5 somewhat corrected Halo 4's ultra-linear structure. Lots more open areas, branching paths, and sandbox elements in that one, even if the story left something to be desired. Plus the weapon variety and balance were stellar. Series-best, even.

My takeaway from the contrast between 4 and 5 is that 343 is interested in correcting mistakes and revisiting unpopular design choices rather than doubling down. You can't say the same about every studio. So at worst I'm cautiously optimistic about Infinite.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this is a shock to anybody.
Not real shock anyway.

Closer to release I'm sure certain individuals will be shocked by the "relevalation"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would be massively surprised if it didn't? They had massive success with a GaaS model in Halo 5. I couldn't see any world where a new Halo wasn't supported by new content over time. It just makes sense.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
"could"

As long as the GaaSiness doesn't get in the way of Infinite having a decent campaign and a freaking Split Screen Co-Op Campaign mode they're free to do whatever with it ...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the monetization scheme isn't bad, I don't mind. Halo needs to change if it's going to keep up with other modern games.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I had and still have 0 doubts about that. Seeing how Halo 5 and now MCC were treated, this is definitely something that they will do. Especially after we've got to know that that they made more money with Halo 5's DLC plan than with any other traditional Halo DLC. Hope that Halo: Infinite won't have a barebones launch like Halo 5 did and I most certainly hope that they don't do "Remix" maps anymore, because they were pretty much all bad.

Just wondering what their monetization model will look like, because they said that they won't have Lootboxes, so I think they will just offer individual items or preset boxes, where you know what you will get.

"could"

As long as the GaaSiness doesn't get in the way of Infinite having a decent campaign and a freaking Split Screen Co-Op Campaign mode they're free to do whatever with it ...

Was confirmed multiple times already. Not only for Halo: Infinite, but they mentioned how all (mainline) Halo games will have split-screen going forward.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Well that was to be expected given the "infinite" in the title.
GaaS in games is usually something that makes me a bit more cautious of games (just look at recent AAA GaaS games as reference, and no, a game that has DLC isn't necessarily GaaS), however the first trailer looked pretty good and I am very interested in seeing it with gameplay next.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what you want but i just want a superb single player and classic multiplayer. If you want to go down the destiny route, then spin that into a separate mode, Halo audience is big enough to support both forms of multiplayer.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Not could. Will.

Halo 5 was already GaaS. And personally, I think it's one of the few good ones at that (though significantly undermined by the dearth of content it had at launch).

Last edited:

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019