• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for posting that - I totally missed this interview! And props to Staten. The things he described seem to be paying HUGE dividends. I am already seeing clips of people loading up a Razerback with five or 6 Marines to take into battle, and I love that type of stuff.

This is 100% the stuff that has been completely missing from Halo4/Halo5.
That sense of being in the midst of a big intergalactic battle with humans fighting covenants and flood fighting everyone.

Based on the footage I've seen/heard it seems like they've really found a way to bring this feeling back.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else still kinda surprised at how well received the campaign has been during these previews?

Like it is genuinely heartwarming that this game seems to have that "Halo is back" energy.

Yes.

Based on the year delay + the early December launch + a lack of any sort of footage until this point" + 343i being at the helm...
I was really expecting a Cyberpunk situation where the game launched broken and buggy and maybe missed the mark completely in some way or another.

To see people not only enjoy it but gush over it in a similar manner that people gushed over the first Halo is a complete surprise.

I just hope it keeps that same energy over the course of the whole game.

Mar 29, 2018
im not talking about combat. I'm talking about most of the stuff from this video.
I guess you could say cool story moments instead.

Okay, story-wise, yeah I could see that. I'd still say:
1. They seem to be quite specifically not showing any dense story content right now and are focused on showing adventure and combat gameplay showcases. What this means, I don't know. Maybe there are big story reveals/surprises immediately which they really want to keep under wraps. Or maybe...

2. Maybe Halo Infinite is just not about these kinds of moments in the same way. Like MGSV versus older MGS games - maybe it's more focused on the world's systems and sandbox than big hyped up set pieces and story moments.

I'm personally happy either way as none of that stuff grabbed me too much in Halo to begin with. I was always all about the sandbox gameplay.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Have anybody, from previews, seen the full map yet? Is the map on the preview half the map; a small portion of it or is that the full map plus some internal additional environments like caves, bases, etc?

I don't expect it to be Odyssey size. When they say it is their larger game world, and compared it to H4 or H5, it doesn't say much to me since those games are sectioned in different events and environments.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Have anybody, from previews, seen the full map yet? Is the map on the preview half the map; a small portion of it or is that the full map plus some internal additional environments like caves, bases, etc?

I don't expect it to be Odyssey size. When they say it is their larger game world, and compared it to H4 or H5, it doesn't say much to me since those games are sectioned in different events and environments.

It is not a fully open world game. Each level is it's own contained environment (Though still fairly large), with its own collectables and bases to find and take over. Think more like the original Crysis than your normal Far Cry game.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Resetera friends here are my 5 videos covering the campaign of Halo Infinite, the first for have a preview for the first, second, third and fourth missions of the game, the five one has 15 minutes of exploration on Zeta Halo, enjoy!:

https://youtu.be/D2CxcA4U35c 15 MINUTES OF ZETA HALO EXPLORATION

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the footage is showing off some really naff particle animations as if they're at a slower framerate? Hope that's addressed.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the footage is showing off some really naff particle animations as if they're at a slower framerate? Hope that's addressed.
I think that was pointed out in the DF video was well. Hopefully those little technical things get ironed out in a day one patch or soon after.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think that was pointed out in the DF video was well. Hopefully those little technical things get ironed out in a day one patch or soon after.
I'm not so sure they'll be addressed. The low frame rate animations were present in the technical flights - it's almost like they're intentional? Very odd

Weapon reload animations are similarly janky

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure they'll be addressed. The low frame rate animations were present in the technical flights - it's almost like they're intentional? Very odd

Yea it's really weird. I notice it on the ball flame animations the most

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017

I've been told it's a known bug that should get addressed at some point. Don't know if that extends to the effects stuff though.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
zU8Gnd1m.jpg

Just kidding Halo 4 fans. Its all good.
No one ever gives halo 4 multiplayer it's due lol. Their big team battles were wild.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This game is genius, reminds me a lot of BOTW, I bet it was a huge inspiration in terms of open world building

Not really a good comparison from what I've played in the first 4 missions and it really doesn't seem like much of an inspiration at all tbh. BotW is all about exploring the world and finding every bit of it yourself with tons of emergent gameplay mechanics integral to the core progression and systems working with each other. None of that is really in Halo Infinite. You unlock Icons on a Map by freeing the FOBs and outside of that really all there is are a few audio diaries and few easter eggs here and there, at least in the first area that's part of the preview. It has very little to do with how BotW works and a lot more with some of the more basic Ubisoft open worlds.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Not really a good comparison from what I've played in the first 4 missions and it really doesn't seem like much of an inspiration at all tbh. BotW is all about exploring the world and finding every bit of it yourself with tons of emergent gameplay mechanics and systems working with each other. None of that is really in Halo Infinite. You unlock Icons on a Map by freeing the FOBs and outside of that really all there is are a few audio diaries and few easter eggs here and there, at least in the first area that's part of the preview. It has very little to do with how BotW works and a lot more with some of the more basic Ubisoft open worlds.

But there's grassy fields so its basically BOTW you see.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love they give alot of freedom doing weird stuff in the world with the grappleshot. Alot of it isnt intended. But they dont seem to care

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I love they give alot of freedom doing weird stuff in the world with the grappleshot. Alot of it isnt intended. But they dont seem to care
Yea the grapple shot and repulsor add so much to the sandbox. In regards to the BOTW talk, the amount of freedom the player has in the Halo Infinite sandbox and all the silly things you can do with the physics is what reminds me of BOTW.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Not really a good comparison from what I've played in the first 4 missions and it really doesn't seem like much of an inspiration at all tbh. BotW is all about exploring the world and finding every bit of it yourself with tons of emergent gameplay mechanics integral to the core progression and systems working with each other. None of that is really in Halo Infinite. You unlock Icons on a Map by freeing the FOBs and outside of that really all there is are a few audio diaries and few easter eggs here and there, at least in the first area that's part of the preview. It has very little to do with how BotW works and a lot more with some of the more basic Ubisoft open worlds.
Sad face but thanks

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Grappling hook Grappleshot , just didn't work because of the shield.
They used the grapple to stun the enemy, it is showing how you can use it creatively. You can also grab weapons and items with it, and latch on to vehicles.

The item that causes a raised fist and "does nothing" is the Repulser. You need something for it to repulse for it to have an effect.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cross post from the OT, just in case some didn:t see.

Lots of these will help in SP.