• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really pleased at how how even Jeff Gerstmann has reacted to his time with the first four hours of the story; He's appropriately jaded enough that even a lot of adequate-to-good games don't really do it for him, so his excitement ends up being more infectious than most.

Something I've seen come up often enough to be confused by it in community reactions is the assertion that because something hasn't been explicitly shown in trailers, it won't be in the game. Like, I understand keeping expectations in line, but I also see some of those same people using it to posture the criticism that the game must only have one biome/environment type.
The comments regarding biomes come directly from 343.

They stated that it will all be based on the PNW and sub biomes with stuff like banished and forerunner bases and war torn areas being cited as examples.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so now I'm kinda expecting playable arbiter level of Surprises lol.

I'm starting to doubt my decision to preorder the game physical as well less and less. It seems like it should arrive Tuesday noon for me if everything works out. Any hour earlier means I'm less likely to be spoiled

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

They stated that it will all be based on the PNW and sub biomes with stuff like banished and forerunner bases and war torn areas being cited as examples.

I keep hearing people say this, but they never provide a link to the actual quotr, and the quote is always slightly different. Do you happen to know where they said this?

We have also seen things, such as in tge Campaign overview trailer that seem to contradict what you just said. For example, the open-world biome that looks more like falling, with tree without leaves, dying grass etc. They could be calling that a sub-Biome, but that could also mean we will see multiple different variations of the open-world area.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing people say this, but they never provide a link to the actual quotr, and the quote is always slightly different. Do you happen to know where they said this?

We have also seen things, such as in tge Campaign overview trailer that seem to contradict what you just said. For example, the open-world biome that looks more like falling, with tree without leaves, dying grass etc. They could be calling that a sub-Biome, but that could also mean we will see multiple different variations of the open-world area.
I'm pretty sure it's from one of their update waypoint videos/post that they did. I remember someone linking it a long time ago. They said that rain/thunder and different biomes might be something that comes post launch down the road but that it won't be there at launch.

I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of biomes than what's been shown, but hey I'd love to be surprised. I feel like if there were other biomes, that's something they would have showed off in the trailers.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
It's a good game. This shouldn't be controversial, the discussion about this game is insanely jaundiced. I wish it was added to MCC.

It has good gameplay, but a really bad story, really poor level design and terrible pacing. Its not a good campaign

I'm pretty sure it's from one of their update waypoint videos/post that they did. I remember someone linking it a long time ago. They said that rain/thunder and different biomes might be something that comes post launch down the road but that it won't be there at launch.

I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of biomes than what's been shown, but hey I'd love to be surprised. I feel like if there were other biomes, that's something they would have showed off in the trailers.

Ya, I would not go into this expecting "oh look, now im on sand" or "oh look, everythings white now." Its going to have a consistent design not meant to imitate a zoo. If anything, new biomes will come with dlc expansions for campaign.

I also find peoples focus on this pretty annoying and using past games as examples are not great. Those levels were great cause they were well designed, not because its now white or brown. Hell, CE makes you run through a level backwards, its good cause the level still is good, even when backwards.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I'm talking about people insisting that being rooted in a geographic region means it's literally just the one environment style. In the sense that swampy/rocky/desert/snowy areas are impossible. I've legitimately never seen someone actually follow-up with a matching quote that supported the idea that we're only going to see the one environment type. Maybe this is just some of my college days bleeding through, but looking up "Pacific Northwest Biomes" definitely nets you more than what's shown in trailers.

I'm not saying that's impossible or that a quote doesn't exist, but even when pressed, I haven't seen it shared.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I got spoiled of some stuff and I have to say the Campaign DOES have a lot more depth to it than what we've seen. What we've seen are the same 2-3 mission clips edited differently.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so now I'm kinda expecting playable arbiter level of Surprises lol.
Don't. Don't have expectations of huge surprises. I have no inside knowledge, and I don't know if there are any surprises, but huge expecations, speculation based on hope and crazy levels of hype just kills any games final experience.

343: "We're modiling the games outdoor environments on the Pacific North West."
Previews: "Here is the first 4 levels..."
Fans: "SNOW LEVEL WASN'T SHOW BUT MAYBE???"
Game: "Pacific North West stuff"
Fans: "FFS."

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
As more and more speculation and impressions are coming forward. I bid my farewell from Halo threads until the I've played the game a bit myself in fear of spoilers and such. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Regardless based on gameplay alone, I have a feeling we are in for a classic.

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrbXe-CMaE
It was a long interview in which they answer fan questions and they are very clear in what they are saying on the biome and all other areas and things you can see. The relevant part starts at 13:22

funnily, this video from March, answers soooooo many of the questions in this thread :P

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It was a long interview in which they answer fan questions and they are very clear in what they are saying on the biome and all other areas and things you can see. The relevant part starts at 13:22

funnily, this video from March, answers soooooo many of the questions in this thread :P
It sounds like there's a lot of variety even within the PNW biome which is good. Plus indoor locations and caves.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
That trailer really failed to spark any interest, which I found surprising. As a Halo newcomer, I've heard quite a bit about the campaign that sounds very intriguing, and none of which was demonstrated in the trailer. Gun-toting space marine making stoic one-liners while angry aliens growl menacingly just didn't do it for me - feels out of touch with the current zeitgeist, to say the least.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
That trailer really failed to spark any interest, which I found surprising. As a Halo newcomer, I've heard quite a bit about the campaign that sounds very intriguing, and none of which was demonstrated in the trailer. Gun-toting space marine making stoic one-liners while angry aliens growl menacingly just didn't do it for me - feels out of touch with the current zeitgeist, to say the least.

Yeah the campaign overview did a better job, but they keep lot in dark lot of thing look like.

What we saw in the trailer is first 4 missions of the game

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Is there any good source or YT video that explains "The story so far" in the series that serves as a catch up to the events leading up to this game?

For those who would rather have text, this site has good recaps of all the games. Start with the Original Trilogy and Reclaimer Saga game recaps. Beyond that you can go into the spinoff games or even deeper into books/comics etc.

previouslyonhalo.com

PREVIOUSLY ON HALO

Catch up on the complete story of Halo. PREVIOUSLY ON HALO is a summary and guide to every game, book, comic — and more!

Based on this tweet from a sound designer, it sounds seems like there could be snow in one of the sub-biomes mentioned there.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to look for that lore video. I didn't play wars 2, so not familiar with them.

And they are different from the splinter in 4, I assume.
Found it - Scottoest linked it on page 9.

The video is pretty dense but that seems to be because a LOT goes on in the year+ between H5 and infinite.

youtu.be

Between the Games: From Halo 5 to Infinite | Halo Infinite Primer

First: Yes, the game is less than a month away, I recorded this audio a while ago and decided I'd rather get this out than wait several days until I can re-r...

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
The Series S is perfectly acceptable in my son's room where he can play all of his next gen games on his "small" 40" TV. In the other rooms we have the Series X where we can fully appreciate the increased resolution and features.
Funny. I have a Series X hooked up to my "small" 4K tv and my Series S hooked up to my 1080P projector. I don't game much on it but I have been using it for Halo.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got spoiled of some stuff and I have to say the Campaign DOES have a lot more depth to it than what we've seen. What we've seen are the same 2-3 mission clips edited differently.
I've always had the vibe that what they've shown us so far is a Great Plateau-equivalent (best example I can think of and I can totally be wrong on this). I always like it when very little is shown in terms of story so we can experience it fresh for ourselves.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

Thanks for this!

I'm sure people have been doing a good job of getting the general sentiment across, but I've been seeing some mixed messages. Not at leats, I can post the actual quotes and refer people to the video.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That's disappointing, and honestly quite surprising. In-fact, I can't even remember the last open-world or even semi-open world game I played that didn't have at least some of the described level of diversity in its world or locations.

It's more surprising given the campaign is essentially being sold standalone, hence the expectation in content/diversity arguably greater.

I expect them to be in the expansions/continuation of the game we'll probably get.

Halo hasn't been huge to me since the first 4 games, but I'm looking forward to trying this one. They should hit up Playground Games on "Seasons/Locations", haha.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021

that doesn't say theres only one biome though, it says PNW is just the main one among other sub-biomes like high-altitude (probably snow), wetlands, swamplands, and deadlands.

there was also the tweet posted by another user from someone who worked on the audio pretty much confirming snowy areas to be in the game

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The Series S is perfectly acceptable in my son's room where he can play all of his next gen games on his "small" 40" TV. In the other rooms we have the Series X where we can fully appreciate the increased resolution and features.

I grew up with a 13" tube television in my bedroom, that had a built-in VCR. Fuckin' kids these days lol.

*shakes fist at cloud*

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

My son has PS5 and uses my series x when his with me and his desperate for his own series s.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Where'd you find this stuff? If you don't mind me asking

Got a couple solid scoops (just telling me the same that I told you), plus there are some videos out there that aren´t edited with full missions (including cutscenes and dialogue) that reveal some very interesting stuff. I've also seen the entire intro cutscene, and it´s awesome.

From what I've seen, read and been told, I really feel the campaign is going to be stellar.

This Halo game feels right in SO MANY ways... it is not perfect (for instance technically it´s a bit inconsistent – at times it has some of the best looking shots I've seen in a long time, at times it looks average – though never bad, the MP progression has to improve... these will be things reviewers will definitely punish, but I think the lights outweight the shadows by a LONG shot).

GET READY SPARTANS!

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020
that doesn't say theres only one biome though, it says PNW is just the main one among other sub-biomes like high-altitude (probably snow), wetlands, swamplands, and deadlands.

there was also the tweet posted by another user from someone who worked on the audio pretty much confirming snowy areas to be in the game

Nearing a second completion of the campaign, I really really wish I could speak and lay this matter to rest as the fake rumours are getting out of hand (I've seen some outrageous "leaks" in the twitterverse, to the level that I half expect Bart Simpson as a boss in a hidden cave) but alas, MS will send ODST troopers in my house if I do that! I would like to write a very clear post on the matter and click "post reply" the second the embargo is over on Monday :D
In the meantime, I can only repeat to watch the video with the official answers of the creators, they pretty much answered back in March most of the questions in this thread.

I grew up with a 13" tube television in my bedroom, that had a built-in VCR. Fuckin' kids these days lol.

*shakes fist at cloud*
ah those were the days. I had to beg for a few hours of gaming (weekends only) on the C64 on our living room tv. And the first tv i got in my bedroom was a 13" black and white tv from my grandmother and my father hooked up my Sega Mega Drive on it. we only hooked it to the main TV for special occasions or 2-3 hours on sunday. played so many games in black & white until i raised pocket money of two years to get the cheapest coloured 14" tv :P

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

*shakes fist at cloud*
No kidding. I grew up with a black and white TV with an analog TV tuner that I could just barely get a strong enough signal to watch Saturday night WWE (WWF at the same). To say my kids are spoiled with tech would be an understatement.

My son has PS5 and uses my series x when his with me and his desperate for his own series s.
It's funny, my son used to complain that all of his friends have their "own" consoles in their rooms and that it's not fair that he would have to share them with us, despite me buying every console day one and letting them use them whenever they want. I even bought a second Xbox just so he and his brother could play at the same time, leaving me the odd one out often. But now he has the XSS in his room and he complains when I'm using the basement because the TV is better... but then he mutes the audio and watches YouTube while playing. It's such a waste on him...

Oh well, we started playing Halo Infinite multiplayer together and it reminded me why I went to all of this trouble in the first place.

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
Jez Corden has played the full game and said that Escharum, the main antagonist, is one of the best characters in all of halo. I'm happy that this isn't another Didact situation.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Escharum: main antagonist? What about Harbinger or Cortana? This will be a long week.

Methinks whoever "Harbinger" is, they're going to end up being an ongoing antagonist past this first... chapter?... of Infinite's story.

Cortana it's hard to say. Likely depends on how much they tried to pretend Halo 5 never happened without literally doing so.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to be sad when we kill Atriox. Won't be this campaign but by the end of this 10 year plan he's probably gone for the next big group.

But just bring back the Spirit of Fire crew when we do. A FPS take on what could be Halo Wars 3 but with the Chief would be insane on the Series X.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for posting this. I had never seen it before and had only seen people repeating some quote about there being only one biome.

This makes sense and should alleviate people's "concerns"

There's variety within the biome in a way that makes sense with the story and setting.

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
Escharum: main antagonist? What about Harbinger or Cortana? This will be a long week.
youtu.be

Xbox 20th | Halo Infinite Campaign Preview | Phil Spencer Talks Xbox Game Pass - The Xbox Two 194

Get 20% OFF @manscaped + Free Shipping with promo code XB2 at MANSCAPED.com! #ad #manscapedpodThe Xbox Two Podcast is back and this week Rand & Jez will be t...
He says this at 2:21:40.
If you wanna really know about the Harbinger.
The final mission is about her although she is introduced halfway through the game. But what I saw in those leaks implies she is somewhat of a sequel bait.

As for cortana. It is my speculation that she and the Harbinger might be working together.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm not reading that and quoting nearly spoiled me, but how much has leaked? Full story?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not into stoic marine man obliterating snarling aliens in bombastic ways, this is probably not the game for you.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I do wish people would stop fixating on what the game 'might reveal'. I know it's tricky, but we just have to wait, and obsession over biomes etc is just gonna, ironically, miss the wood for the trees I think. Maybe it's all 'PNW' (AS THEY HAVE SAID), but that DOESN'T mean it can't work. Maybe it doesn't work. Let's just see, and not flip out over one aspect of the whole. These things are designed as wholes, with hundreds of choices all building that whole, and fans approaching it with a checklist of 'i expect this' miss the point at least half the time.

For those who would rather have text, this site has good recaps of all the games. Start with the Original Trilogy and Reclaimer Saga game recaps. Beyond that you can go into the spinoff games or even deeper into books/comics etc.

previouslyonhalo.com

PREVIOUSLY ON HALO

Catch up on the complete story of Halo. PREVIOUSLY ON HALO is a summary and guide to every game, book, comic — and more!

Based on this tweet from a sound designer, it sounds seems like there could be snow in one of the sub-biomes mentioned there.

It could be MP. It could be foley. It could be campaign. Speculation, fine, but the yearning for what isn't (possibly) there when we haven't even played it is... counter-productive.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish people would stop fixating on what the game 'might reveal'. I know it's tricky, but we just have to wait, and obsession over biomes etc is just gonna, ironically, miss the wood for the trees I think. Maybe it's all 'PNW' (AS THEY HAVE SAID), but that DOESN'T mean it can't work. Maybe it doesn't work. Let's just see, and not flip out over one aspect of the whole. These things are designed as wholes, with hundreds of choices all building that whole, and fans approaching it with a checklist of 'i expect this' miss the point at least half the time.

It could be MP. It could be foley. It could be campaign. Speculation, fine, but the yearning for what isn't (possibly) there when we haven't even played it is... counter-productive.

I agree with you, it could work, but I'm gonna approach this with mild concern. The game looks great, but it IS clear it went through development challenges and I would not be surprised to hear they cut areas. But as you said, it could still work in a reworked fashionprovided there's plwnty of visual variety. So far, I think we've seen too much PNW woodsy outdoors and too many samey metallic indoor areas, it feels a bit like BOTW with only one biome, and a similar issue with the "shrines" all looking the same.

That doesn't mean the game wouldn't be great with these issues, but it's my one point of concern so far. Hope its unfounded!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I agree with you, it could work, but I'm gonna approach this with mild concern. The game looks great, but it IS clear it went through development challenges and I would not be surprised to hear they cut areas. But as you said, it could still work in a reworked fashionprovided there's plwnty of visual variety. So far, I think we've seen too much PNW woodsy outdoors and too many samey metallic indoor areas, it feels a bit like BOTW with only one biome, and a similar issue with the "shrines" all looking the same.

That doesn't mean the game wouldn't be great with these issues, but it's my one point of concern so far. Hope its unfounded!

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work, or to not work. All I am saying is to have a proper, measured appreciation is to meet the thing halfway: what does it offer, what does it do with that offering, and how does that chime with what I like generally, and, yes, what I like in Halo. Like, at the end of it, if someone says 'I needed a snow level, damnit', fine. As long as the thing was considered with due attention to what it is, and why a snow level (or w/e) was needed, other than 'cos Halo 1 had one'.

This applies to everything, really, but it's curious and novel to me to apply it to games, especially when hype and cynicism flood our spaces.