• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
youre weird. and not because you seem to be defending one of the most inept game devs to ever exist. other reasons.
When did i even defend the developer tho? You said it's not full co-op, just online. They said it's both on and offline co-op, progress carries over to single player and other things. What else is needed for "Full" co-op? That's what i found curious.

DrSopa

Oct 27, 2017
floating mountains?

MLWesUj.jpg

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I.. dont think thats what it says?

If you party up and player A is on mission 7 and has mission 3s skull but player B is on mission 3 and doesnt have the skull, it will place the missing collectibles on the map for Player B to get and set progress to mission 3 for everyone as it is the "lowest common denominator" type of determining where to start.

And any collectibles any player earns in a session is saved to their own local profile. Which they can carry on solo or whatever
Hmmm, yeah re-reading it it seems like some things don't care if another player had it and other things (missions) only get marked as complete if all players had it as completed. Still not seeing anything for being able to join a Co-Op session that's already in progress.

YaoGuia

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
The tethered co-op thing is disappointing, the last game I can remember doing that is Mercenaries 2 in 2008, and I remember everyone hating it, which is why every co-op open world game did full world or nothing afterwards.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I know network play is way more important both short and long-term, but I can't believe Infinite is still missing split-screen in stated plans considering how they responded to backlash after Halo 5. Not seeing any mention of split-screen (coop or traditional MP) in these communications makes this all feel extra messy. I understand why an open-world game makes that much harder to execute on, but I'm not the one who developed an open-world game design after adamantly promising it would support split-screen.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
7 months after release and only just now adding in online campaign co-op.

And split screen still isn't even in.

Lmfao. How is 343 still operating after all these years.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I really love the direction they're taking with 'No Spartan Left Behind'. So few games do this and it can be frustrating, especially when you don't even know if it does or not. For all the hate Crackdown 3 gets, it actually did this as well and was a better game for it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with this. While I wish that it launched in a better spot, obviously, I don't think that another year of 343 development without community involvement would have turned out like we wanted. Another year of Staten leading the charge is always good, but I think the feedback they've gotten will make it a better game

It's more of a customer interest / perception thing that I'm talking about here. I think it's a real possibility that 343 can completely turn around Halo Infinite and make it into a complete product over the next year or so and it's not going to matter because it's too late and consumers have moved on.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
while it kind of makes sense for Halo, I despise coop tethers

it completely ruined State of Decay 2's MP

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to be completely honest: pretty damn disappointed that we had to wait over 6 months post launch for just 4-player co-op with Chief clones.

Was expecting something at least on the level of Halo 3 with cosmetically unique playable characters. Co-op of the main campaign in this scenario is obviously non-canon, so why not let people play as their multiplayer Spartan 4?

My hope for the delay in this feature was that they were actually crafting a separate co-op story line that takes place on the Zeta Halo map from the main campaign, but nope.

Sigh.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of this sounds amazing. I'm still going through SP on my own, but will replay earlier missions with mates.

+1 Tether. I hate it when people on your team want to trigger events without you.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
while it kind of makes sense for Halo, I despise coop tethers

it completely ruined State of Decay 2's MP
The one thing I've been hoping for re: Halo Infinite co-op is the ability for my buddies and I to adopt different combat niches as we please and approach each combat zone with them in mind.

By that I mean... our dedicated sniper player should be able to take to the hills above, clearing out long-rangers and helping the rest of the squad with recon and problem enemies, while our heavy weapons and close-combat players drive right through the gates with a platoon of marines in tow, taking objectives and clearing a lane for our vehicle player to roll on in or swoop on through to clear out heavies and groups.

It sounds like, with the kind of range they're describing, we should be able to do that relatively comfortably - but that remains to be seen.
I'm going to be completely honest: pretty damn disappointed that we had to wait over 6 months post launch for just 4-player co-op with Chief clones.

Was expecting something at least on the level of Halo 3 with cosmetically unique playable characters. Co-op of the main campaign in this scenario is obviously non-canon, so why not let people play as their multiplayer Spartan 4?

My hope for the delay in this feature was that they were actually crafting a separate co-op story line that takes place on the Zeta Halo map from the main campaign, but nope.

Sigh.
I feel this. I wasn't expecting something like co-op specific content or campaign additions immediately, but it IS the kind of thing I'm hoping for down the line. At the very least I think it'd be a solid move for them to implement armor customization in campaign (solo and co op) in the near future. At least to let us stand out from one another and imagine ourselves as other Spartans - but I guess that'll depend on how things like cutscenes are handled.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If it's all players being tethered to the fireteam leader, having less than 250 meters might end up feeling tight for some environments (not a ton, though, which is good). It could also end up feeling weird/disorienting if that fireteam leader moves unexpectedly relative to you and you get flagged to return to the AoO. I'll have to get a feel for it in gameplay to have a solid opinion, though.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I feel this. I wasn't expecting something like co-op specific content or campaign additions immediately, but it IS the kind of thing I'm hoping for down the line. At the very least I think it'd be a solid move for them to implement armor customization in campaign (solo and co op) in the near future. At least to let us stand out from one another and imagine ourselves as other Spartans - but I guess that'll depend on how things like cutscenes are handled.

The cutscene thing is a non-issue as long as they keep player 1/the host as Chief.

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised they went through with it. Seemed like the core game design totally neglected co-op. You can definitely see where there were compromises, but appreciate them putting more thought into the mode than expected. Still should have delayed the entire game to Fall 2022 when they had the chance though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised they went through with it. Seemed like the core game design totally neglected co-op. You can definitely see where there were compromises, but appreciate them putting more thought into the mode than expected. Still should have delayed the entire game to Fall 2022 when they had the chance though.

There are (thankfully) plenty of signs the game was built with 4-player coop in mind from the start, from the four working weapon/vehicle stations at FoBs to some of the lines-of-sight on interior levels. I get why it would be such a challenge to do it right, though.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, when you think about it, co-op in this game really is a major design challenge. Before the game launched when they said co-op was taking longer, it was disappointing, but after playing the campaign, I get it.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
"Halo is always more fun with friends"

Too bad they actually don't feel that way for players with high MMRs trying to play social with their friends.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I've been hoping for re: Halo Infinite co-op is the ability for my buddies and I to adopt different combat niches as we please and approach each combat zone with them in mind.

By that I mean... our dedicated sniper player should be able to take to the hills above, clearing out long-rangers and helping the rest of the squad with recon and problem enemies, while our heavy weapons and close-combat players drive right through the gates with a platoon of marines in tow, taking objectives and clearing a lane for our vehicle player to roll on in or swoop on through to clear out heavies and groups.

It sounds like, with the kind of range they're describing, we should be able to do that relatively comfortably - but that remains to be seen.

yeah I haven't played the campaign yet so I don't know how to judge how big the play area usually is

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I really hope there is no input lag BS like with co-op in MCC.

Guess we'll see, but wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Anyone know if Halo 5 used async lockstep for AI? Warzone Firefight always played smooth, so maybe?

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Finally, the game got boring for me to finish on my own, hopefully coop makes it more fun and i can actually beat it now.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Sigh.
This base campaign was only ever about Chief, The Weapon and The Pilot and how it was down to them. Given 343i's love for making everything in lore, bringing in MP Spartans for co-op would mean Chief isn't actually alone on the ring and occasionally finding soldiers.

I would expect whatever The Endless is when it releases to include Spartan IVs showing up to give Chief a hand and with that expansion bringing in MP Spartans for co-op and hopefully some other PvE game modes that utilizes the MP Spartans.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
did 343 address the whole bonobo thing orrrr
Multiple big names from the team, including Bonnie Ross herself, apologized, and multiple people explained what happened on the development side. We can believe them or not, but at this point we are past that IMO.

Anyways, this sounds awesome! I've been really looking forward to this. Couldn't help but feel during my playthrough how much more fun it could be with friends. HYPE!

YaoGuia

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Also, isn't this game supposed to have a BR coming? How they gonna do that when their netcode requires 300 metre tethers between players?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Still bummed that you cannot use your own spartan in the campaign. Would have been a neat little feature for sure.

Looking forward to playing the game cooperatively though and happy that it has progression for BOTH players. I hate it when games don't do that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hmmm, yeah re-reading it it seems like some things don't care if another player had it and other things (missions) only get marked as complete if all players had it as completed. Still not seeing anything for being able to join a Co-Op session that's already in progress.
I dont think you will be. They outline that you make a fireteam, itll summarize what mission youll start at and then you select start co op. Someone joining in a session in progress at the endgame while they havent played mission 2 yet would probably break things.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to play some legendary coop with friends! Best halo game gets better.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Does co-op only count if it's split screen?

Also how many games do split screen these days? You act like it's some universal staple of co-op.
It should be :( I miss it so much. I hate how it got chloroformed within the space of a few years. Yeah, before anyone says, I know precisely why, it was a tonne of extra work for a comparatively smaller user base, but man playing online over voice will never compare to couch co-op for me, ever.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple big names from the team, including Bonnie Ross herself, apologized, and multiple people explained what happened on the development side. We can believe them or not, but at this point we are past that IMO.
You make it seem like we got a bunch of apologies (exactly 2 "big name" apologies) and sufficient explanations already lol.

We did not. It's not enough.

Oct 26, 2017
There are (thankfully) plenty of signs the game was built with 4-player coop in mind from the start, from the four working weapon/vehicle stations at FoBs to some of the lines-of-sight on interior levels. I get why it would be such a challenge to do it right, though.
Oh that's true, I had forgotten about that. Seems it took a back seat to their open world design, cinematics design, and other features that were probably rushed to completion after the decision to delay co-op was made.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while but I'm excited to play it. Halo Infinite has been a messy launch but I've genuinely had fun playing it when I have... I've jsut had no reason to play it for about 4-5 months. Happy I have a reason to play again soon, I hope. Some of the stuff like cross play, good progression system, sounds really good and well thought out.

Also my nephew is turning 11 this summer and I kinda think Halo is a great game to play co-op with him. I dunno, alien violence and stuff, seems pretty tame.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while but I'm excited to play it. Halo Infinite has been a messy launch but I've genuinely had fun playing it when I have... I've jsut had no reason to play it for about 4-5 months. Happy I have a reason to play again soon, I hope.

Also my nephew is turning 11 this summer and I kinda think Halo is a great game to play co-op with him. I dunno, alien violence and stuff, seems pretty tame.
11? And you're worried about Halo?

I was watching Friday the 13th as a toddler and look how wonderful I turned out — I'm an Avenger Member.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
You make it seem like we got a bunch of apologies (exactly 2 "big name" apologies) and sufficient explanations already lol.

We did not. It's not enough.
I don't know, kind of tired of internet culture of "it's never enough" type of thinking. You got apologies from Bonnie Ross, Joe Staten and a number of the devs, as well as multiple explanations as to how/why it happened. Like I said, you can believe them or not, that's on you. But there's not much more they can do apart from what they did: offer sincere apologies, do their best to explain themselves/ensure it doesn't happen again, and fix the issue as soon as possible.

Move on.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
No word on if this gives xp for the battle pass? I didn't see any mention in any of the interview snippets.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, kind of tired of internet culture of "it's never enough" type of thinking. You got apologies from Bonnie Ross, Joe Staten and a number of the devs, as well as multiple explanations as to how/why it happened. Like I said, you can believe them or not, that's on you. But there's not much more they can do apart from what they did: offer sincere apologies, do their best to explain themselves/ensure it doesn't happen again, and fix the issue as soon as possible.

Move on.
Move on? lol

That's real corny to say after we still have not received an actual explanation and heard what's being done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It's simple, really, but I guess we're supposed to just "move on" because racism is unimportant. That's some luxury you've been afforded to not be bothered by it.

How about you move on from being bothered by people who care about this?