• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
So they want us to believe it was just a very unfortunate coincidence that happened with this specific nameplate out of all the nameplates they've created?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "bonobo is the toolset, its placeholder text" excuse is almost literally perfect for a malicious actor to offer plausible deniability. Just saying.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
It was a name for an internal tool which was fixed super fast along with the apologies.
Why we're still talking about this?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It was a name for an internal tool which was fixed super fast along with the apologies.
You really don't see why releasing an item specifically to commemorate juneteenth called "monkey" and then excusing it with an excuse that should have resulted in other documented instances of this problem happening prior but somehow didn't maybe warrants a bit more thorough investigation and further action?

Really?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing concerns around racism over multiple posts
You really don't see why releasing an item specifically to commemorate juneteenth called "monkey" and then excusing it with an excuse that should have resulted in other documented instances of this problem happening prior but somehow didn't maybe warrants a bit more thorough investigation and further action?

Really?

That has nothing to do with the issue at hand of how a nameplate shared the same name, for Juneteenth nonetheless.
I get it, it was VERY unfortunate but it wasn't a name they deliberately choose to publish.
It was inherited from a template generated by an internal tool named like that (following Bungie naming convention too) and was fixed superfast even without the need to release a patch for it + they acknowledged this unfortunate event and timing and apologized on all social media.

Why the need to still burn them down now?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I get it, it was VERY unfortunate but it wasn't a name they deliberately choose to publish.
It was inherited from a template generated by an internal tool named like that (following Bungie naming convention too) and was fixed superfast even without the need to release a patch for it + they acknowledged this unfortunate event and timing and apologized on all social media.

Please, with no other instances of this happening with that name and on that date? With something to celebrate that date? You can't possibly believe that.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018

Inherited as in the word is a prefix and the string was empty?

Hmmm.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care about it you can just not post about it. Trying to dismiss people's concerns around racism is super shitty though, especially with baseless claims about how it happened.

Feb 16, 2022

They explicitly did not say this.

All this does is prove that the toolset exists, which was never in question. Besides, a report by Kotaku said the tool was largely used in Halo 5, not Infinite.

All they've said is that the toolset with the same name exists. They didn't say the toolset caused the error. They didn't even say the toolset has anything to do with the naming AT ALL.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
If you don't care about it you can just not post about it. Trying to dismiss people's concerns around racism is super shitty though, especially with baseless claims about how it happened.
I'm sorry, diminishing the hurting feeling on seeing that on THAT day was never my intention. Racism is actually shitty on every level.
I've only tried to clear the most probable perspective around this: an unfortunate accident and not 343 being racist.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, diminishing the hurting feeling on seeing that on THAT day was never my intention. Racism is actually shitty on every level.
I've only tried to clear the most probable perspective around this: an unfortunate accident and not 343 being racist.
And you didn't think to check if it had been raised before in a near 700 post thread?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I find it very hard to believe that this is the most probable scenario when even 343 themselves did not claim such a thing in their response on Twitter.

Sounds like this to me?

Read it very carefully. The response says "the tool exists and it is named Bonobo". At no point does it propose any workflow or sequence of events that could lead to the name of the tool being applied to an asset.

They don't mention any default names, existing templates, nothing.

Feb 16, 2022
Sounds like this to me?

While the original name refers to an internal toolset, it was not intended to be applied to this content
All this says is that the toolset exists. Not how it relates to the naming. It's like saying "Mike Hunt is an employee here, but we did not intend to name this NPC Mike Hunt". The first part of the sentence has nothing to do with the latter part, it's just a useless statement saying "Yeah this also has the same name". Their choice of words is very deliberate here. It implies one explanation without stating it, which gives them plausible deniability.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
obviously every program names their files in the name of the program. that's why all my word files are simply called "word.docx" and my photoshop exports are all called "photoshop.psd".

/s

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Inherited as in the word is a prefix and the string was empty?

Hmmm.

Uhh the name of the tool should have no bearing on this unless it's a prefix of some sort. Any evidence of this or is that a "best intention" conjecture?

This proves the Bonobo tool exists. It proposes absolutely no mechanism through which the name of the tool was applied to an asset.

So I will ask again: Can you prove the name was pre-set or inherited from an existing template within the tool?

They explicitly did not say this.

All this does is prove that the toolset exists, which was never in question. Besides, a report by Kotaku said the tool was largely used in Halo 5, not Infinite.

All they've said is that the toolset with the same name exists. They didn't say the toolset caused the error. They didn't even say the toolset has anything to do with the naming AT ALL.

And you didn't think to check if it had been raised before in a near 700 post thread?

I find it very hard to believe that this is the most probable scenario when even 343 themselves did not claim such a thing in their response on Twitter.

Read it very carefully. The response says "the tool exists and it is named Bonobo". At no point does it propose any workflow or sequence of events that could lead to the name of the tool being applied to an asset.

They don't mention any default names, existing templates, nothing.

All this says is that the toolset exists. Not how it relates to the naming. It's like saying "Mike Hunt is an employee here, but we did not intend to name this NPC Mike Hunt". The first part of the sentence has nothing to do with the latter part, it's just a useless statement saying "Yeah this also has the same name". Their choice of words is very deliberate here. It implies one explanation without stating it, which gives them plausible deniability.

obviously every program names their files in the name of the program. that's why all my word files are simply called "word.docx" and my photoshop exports are all called "photoshop.psd".

/s
According to Mint Blitz "saving tags within that program is very finicky" (and that tool is up and running since Bungie era) so , yeah, the "Bonobo" tag used as a default when nothing is put in it (or something's not entered correctly) is a real possibility.

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of what's happened at all + 343i could have been even more clear with their response, but it's very probable this was an actual accident and that's all.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
According to Mint Blitz "saving tags within that program is very finicky" (and that tool is up and running since Bungie era) so , yeah, the "Bonobo" tag used as a default when nothing is put in it (or something's not entered correctly) is a real possibility.
Saying "saving is finnicky" means literally nothing specific and, again, if Bonobo is the default name for items created in the program why not come out and just fucking say that? (And provide visual proof while they're at it, it really isn't that hard)

Them dancing around the issue like this makes it much more suspicious if anything. It sounds like they're covering for someone.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Saying "saving is finnicky" means literally nothing specific and, again, if Bonobo is the default name for items created in the program why not come out and just fucking say that? (And provide visual proof while they're at it, it really isn't that hard)

Them dancing around the issue like this makes it much more suspicious if anything. It sounds like they're covering for someone.

Highly coincidental that this is the item in which this first came up too.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
No one is saying the entire 343 staff is racist. It only takes one or two racist assholes to sneak something like this into play, with the knowledge that if it gets spotted they can just say "it's the name of the toolset, my bad".

It's sly underhanded covert dog whistle shit that racist love doing.

There are racists everywhere. There are absolutely racists in gaming, both consumers and in the industry.

The explanation given by 343 is really non-specific, and reeks of brushing it under the rug instead of being transparent and accountable. Frankly, it's not good enough.

If this was truly and accident it really shouldn't be hard to show how it happened. Otherwise, someone should have been fired.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of what's happened at all + 343i could have been even more clear with their response, but it's very probable this was an actual accident and that's all.

An accident that happens for the first time in celebration of Juneteenth. Uh-huh.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

you basically entered the thread trying to shutdown the discussion, diminish the seriousness of it by telling its a honest mistake.

btw. why do i have to care about a person's lame excuses, whose whole twitter account looks like a advertisement board for 343/halo

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of garbage program would just default to the program name when you forget to enter in a tag? Like imagine if you were on a Java IDE and forgot to name a class so it just named all the classes to Java rather than giving you an error message to enter a fucking name.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly a racist internal joke that slipped through, bad look. The excuses posted here are nonsensical from a technical perspective and very far fetched either way.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of garbage program would just default to the program name when you forget to enter in a tag? Like imagine if you were on a Java IDE and forgot to name a class so it just named all the classes to Java rather than giving you an error message to enter a fucking name.
Exactly. No suffix on the default name? Yeah, right.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
44923-m.jpg

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
There's no "smoking gun" proof, but that's the most probable scenario considering how that thing works.
If people are confirming that the tool exists, with that name, with screenshots, then at least one of these people could provide proof that it inserts the name of the tool by default into everything. No one's done that.