• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im not sure what the deal was with the close up on the bad guy at the end, was that suppose to be epic?
Really not the best trailer.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
You would expect them to pick a mission or encounter that would really try to sell us on the open world and how it could work with Halo gameplay. I'm really not convinced its a good direction.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It looks like Halo, but graphically it is disappointing. I'm thinking back to the Rage 2 trailer, and that was more impressive graphically even though the game didn't turn out that great. A bigger disappointment is there was no sizzle reel trailer. That small slice of gameplay should have been supplemented with a 2-3 minute trailer that gives you a better idea of the story and environments you will be going to using in-game assets.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Crowbcat incoming. Definitely not the best way to show off the world's most powerful console and that Brute meme will live with Xbox and Halo forever.

Oct 27, 2017
All I ever wanted the franchise to do was make gam
Very much has a kind of painted look to it. But it only really shows up in some instances. Others, it just looks really really flat like things are missing shadows or other kinds of details.

I really get the impression they are going for a botw kind of clean look and it's just not working.
Maybe? I dunno. When I posted that, I was just kinda taken aback. I figured Halo Wars was just trying to be stylized, but now that seems to be the direction they want to go in? What was wrong with the Halo 1-3 art style that they want to change it so much? I personally don't care about detail, everything is so boxy, flat and lifeless... It was fine by me in Halo Wars at least, because I understood it as them trying to make the game visually more informative as a strategy game.
I've been out of the Halo loop (ha) since 4, what happened to the enemies that were in 4? They not in this?

Not that I'd miss them they weren't fun to fight at all on higher difficulties.
Also this. And where's that whole Cortana story? Has it been quietly dropped? Should mention I never finished 5, so not sure if even the banished were mentioned in that (but I think not).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7eSniIE.png

We really Gaf now.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
This whole ordeal makes me wish the discourse on games (and other mediums) was a bit more mature, that way games could be shown off earlier without people panicking due to a misunderstanding of how they're made.

Working on and hyping a game up for five years while showing very little of it only serves to make or break you and more often than not it's the latter.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay is awesome... This is the Halo we know

Additional skills are cool... Grappling hook, climb, shield etc...

Oct 25, 2017
It looks so strange. Everything is very bright indicating that there should be a lot of light lighting the scene. But there aren't any shadows to back that up. Which would indicate that the sky is extremely overcast to prevent shadows, but if you look at the sky theres almost no clouds.
the lighting is a mess just like in Halo 5 Which had the same issues.
looks all fucked up

Honestly I know I'm being hard on it though. Graphics aren't the end-all for me if the gameplay is there, and I do like a clean looking game. I just think they need to get their lighting sorted out because some of this looks pretty goddamn rough.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a Halo since Halo 2, but I was expecting to have my jaw dropped by a next-gen Halo. I just felt...kind of uninspired by it? I mean the open level Halo gameplay is fun and I'm sure running around with a friend in this would be good times, but it didn't feel substantially different from what I remember of Halo 2. The grappling hook looked cool and I'm always a sucker for those, but it looked more like just another toy to mix up your kills with instead of opening up new types of gameplay. I'm sort of comparing that in my head to the new Crash Bandicoot, which felt like classic Crash, but had things like the rail sliding which added a new dimension to the gameplay.

Aesthetically, being 60fps and cross-platform obviously hampers what they can do, but it was just the basic art direction and level design that felt drab. Lighting has some issues. No "wow" moments for me. Made the game feel more dated than it should. Honestly it just looked like a current gen game to me, and certainly not an Xbox system seller for people that aren't already Halo superfans. I was a fan of Halo back when it was a Mac exclusive title, and before that I loved the Marathon games. Had a lot of fun with the first two Halos. But it seems to me like the IP could just use a break at this point until there's something really compelling to bring it back with.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing, I'm not a graphics whore. But, when you hype your shit up for so long and start with a initial teaser that appears to be totally next-gen, you can't just then show up with a standard, current gen showcase. Even worse, is the gameplay was just...boring.

In no way did they demonstrate how an open-world Halo was beneficial to the series, how it changed anything. What they showed could have been a random level in any previous Halo games since its not like Halo is known for incredibly cramped corridors, its arenas have always been large spaces that allow for vehicles. So, how is OPEN-WORLD Halo any different? Where's the hook (besides the one of Chief's arm)?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is some subtle detail there, the AR read out when he pans across the sky like it's dirty or fogs up.

detaildrk42.jpg

The game just looks off, incomplete or something. It's clean etc. but just something missing, like an update pack post release that gives things more life or maybe not. I don't think an improvement kills clarity but maybe I have no idea.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Congrats to 343. They killed Halo three times in a row.

I'm honestly surprised why MS letting them make more Halo games at this point. The franchise is dead.

they burned me every single time and somehow i will play Infinite, but i'm hurt. they need to over delivery in gameplay and multiplayer or MS should just hire Bungie and apologize. 343 just ain't fit, they need something new w/o the peer pressure of Xbox's biggest IP.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The graphics aren't my concern for the demo. It's the sheer lack of polish, and the clearly very, very unpolished level design.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
When Killzone Shadowfall reveal trailer looks better than next gen Halo Infinite, something is wrong.

I think it's just being rushed for launch.

Wabba

Apr 12, 2018
Strange that they make a totaly new engine that the have build from the ground up to take advantage of the new hardware, but there is almost no difference from Halo 5. Why did the have a marketing of the engine in 2018 when it is basicly the same.

Realy cant get into the story of this one either. To early to tell so I have to see where they take it from here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely because it's a new console launch, they also didn't do a particularly good job with the gameplay aspect, I wanted to see more grapple hook, and there's even a trailer with some shock grenade that looked sweet that they didn't show off here.
I also think it might be due to us living in a new age of marketing. We're all used to seeing 'everything' at E3, but now we're getting a drip feed through these direct style presentations. I'm sure Halo is the biggest thing MS has this year and they probably want to hold some stuff back for a later show. I'd bet we definitely see more Halo stuff whenever we get the console price.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In no way did they demonstrate how an open-world Halo was beneficial to the series, how it changed anything. What they showed could have been a random level in any previous Halo games since its not like Halo is known for incredibly cramped corridors, its arenas have always been large spaces that allow for vehicles. So, how is OPEN-WORLD Halo any different? Where's the hook (besides the one of Chief's arm)?

Yeah, wasn't a lot to it that makes you think wow, this new Halo is great. Gun play was the high point but as you said, it's bog standard for Halo.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
Q0Pw81F.png

Who thought this was a good idea to release as a marketing image??? This shit looks like a free to play MMORPG lmao

Hype deflated.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Has 343i lost all the credit? Damn, the hype of these days... The "can't wait to show what we have" "E3 was ours" lol...

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is some subtle detail there, the AR read out when he pans across the sky like it's dirty or fogs up.

detaildrk42.jpg

The game just looks off, incomplete or something. It's clean etc. but just something missing, like an update pack post release that gives things more life or maybe not. I don't think an improvement kills clarity but maybe I have no idea.
its the lighting.

its almost seems like they wanted to get RTX working by the time this trailer released but didn't. Look at the mountain and the hills in the back; just looks so flat.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Strange that they make a totaly new engine that the have build from the ground up to take advantage of the new hardware, but there is almost no difference from Halo 5. Why did the have a marketing of the engine in 2018 when it is basicly the same.

Realy cant get into the story of this one either. To early to tell so I have to see where they take it from here.

Engine is good for implementing content fast apparently so it's not just graphics.