• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Haven't seen anyone comment on the real-time day-night cycle, but it looks really nice. Compare the beginning of the trailer like 2 minutes in to later at ~6:25 and you can see how much the sun has moved in that time.
That's actually a fair point and something that I'm just now coming across watching again. Hmmm. This might explain some things with the lighting. If the world simulation really dynamic, then some of the compromises make sense.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume these are showing how the underlying structure of the Halo rings are built. Maybe the terrain got all jacked up because of the Halo's destruction and revealed these structures. Halo rings are not "natural" in any sense and so I think that is the explanation for these sort of machne-looking formations.

That being said, there are real natural rock structures shaped like hexagons like that in real life. They been feature in many many games.

mKoLCHX.png

Better example. Just looks strange and weird. I understand the lore reasons for it but man I do not like the look.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
LfK88cU.png

People are hyprocrits. Everybody pretends they only care about performance and graphics don't matter. But suddenly everybody is crying if the games turn out like this

And then if you read the thread there are a ton of people saying that the framerate is most important for playability, but they still want games to look good. This looks disproportionate. I could buy if this was xbox one x gameplay, but this is supposed to be the xbox series x's killer app. Xbox one wasn't supposed to hold back xbox series x games...and it looks like that.

I'm not asking for photo realism. I'm asking for it to not look that bad.

Also, a LOT of people there said better graphics at 1080p60 > 4K, which was also not a poll option.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Very very odd demo to show after all this hype and swelling of interest it has been getting, its first initial preview was beautiful. Wonder why they went with such a safe, lackluster demo....

If you'd have framed it similarly to how the first initial teaser was and having the gameplay be taken in that space, with roaming critters and creatures in dense forest out to more traditional style Halo worlds and up to reveal big vistas (which they did) climaxing on a different type of biome in the mountains that shifts to space, that would be really interesting, show how "new" it is and point out its expansive nature.

But its all marketing stuff, so things get screwed up all the time in that transition.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Been rewatching the demo but now with adjusted expectations and it's growing on me a lot. Other than some unremarkable design choices it looks good, should be a really fun Halo game to play if they pull off the open world design well.

I think we have been spoiled by designers and artists focusing on immersion, insane detail, and flair while this seems to be tapping into classic old school halo vibes with a super clean and smooth arcade like aesthetic and whatever open world gameplay is going to bring to the table

Maybe this is 343 playing to their strengths hopefully? If they cant reasonably handcraft mind blowing visual showcases at least they can make a fun open world shooter?

At the very least it looks like it plays well enough though not pushing many bohndaries. I doubt the classic halo audience is gonna watch this and not be excited unless they are tired of playing Halo by now

I think thats the biggest trap here. This game looks like just more Halo but now prettier and open world

Hopefully they have more surprises than that

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
More and more im starting to wonder, why put
Out new consoles this year if the launch games arent going to be impressive? Why not wait a year and come out with Substantial games that actually and truly show off the hardware in meaningful ways. I mean, i could probably get another year out of my one x and ps4 pro

Right? Especially because of the One X and Pro. They're the generational stepping stone. I kind of hope what we see is One X becoming the lowest common denominator for Xbox and the original One going away, if MS really wants to keep the XBox games ecosystem competitive.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Antagonizing other members
LfK88cU.png

People are hyprocrits. Everybody pretends they only care about performance and graphics don't matter. But suddenly everybody is crying if the games turn out like this
It's called concern trolling.

Studios like Rockstar and Naughty Dog have set and will continue to set completely unreasonable standards at the cost of actual human suffering to create the games they do, and people will begin to expect all games to hit those marks.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
So this is using single shot/long take cinematic sequences? interesting. But not sure they succeeded there fully. Guess it is hard to stage that way, if it is sequences of two characters facing the same direction all cool, but as soon as it is a typical conversation the camera has to start swirling around too much for my taste and draws attentation to this being the gimmick.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We are going into a new generation so of course graphics whoring is at its peak. Gameplay looks solid and fun, and graphically its got a clean visual language and runs at 60. I love it. Could they improve it, sure. But the hyperbole in here is cringe

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Its so fucking petty. But I just to ask a technical person at 343 why the grass is drawing in so close to player on a modern 12TF machine.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the demo doesn't sell the open world aspects well at all, which is my main problem. Also I need to see what the multiplayer is like. They need to show off WAY more of this game, shit comes out in a few months.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Damn, the demo had me super excited. I'm very excited and will buy a series X just for Halo I think. I spent TONS AND TONS OF HOURS back in the day on halo 3.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It really does look good in motion, especially considering it's 4K60 and open-world. But considering the hype and the expectation that it would be a huge first party showcase for the new hardware, hard to deny that it was underwhelming.

Oct 25, 2017
This. Exactly. Something about the Lighting and visual fidelity just looks... off.

This is how it looked 2018 (look at that lighting and Level of Detail!):

halo-infinite-ltkqg.jpg

This is how I imagined the look:

halo-infinite-toys-brutes-leak.jpg

This is how it looks 2020 (after nearly 5 years of development):

m0oFc5i.jpg

Yeah those early in-engine trailers set the expectations pretty high for microsoft's new generation console and now the result feels like roughly halo 4ish level at higher resolution and I'm a little caught off guard to say the least

nothing outside the cutscenes looks next gen and the earlier teasers were not indicative at all
Definitely not representative of the actual game, hardly even looks like the same game except during cutscenes

This could easily pass for a game released 5 or 6 years ago (or longer?!) with an "X enhanced" patch. In fact that feels more believable than this being a launch title for XSX.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None. But I hope you can see why people would be more excited about 30 fps, 20 hour linear games - if the end result of 4k/60 open Halo is what we received today.

A 30fps game will eventually look bad by comparison. But it will always have choppy motion/bad feeling of gameplay

A 60fps game will look worse quickee by comparision.
It will however ALWAYS be smooth and feel good to play

60fps is ALWAYS better - i dont play screenshots

this is my philosophy. Nintendo usually does this and gamecube games such as metroid prime still play great at 60 (but look dated)... try replaying uncharted 1 on ps3? It feels horrible at sub 30fps and STILL looks bad today

30fps games age HORRIBLY

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 only runs at 60fps on PC currently and has vastly smaller play spaces.

I'm not sure 'open world' or bigger play spaces is really an excuse in 2020. Not after the top tier open world games we've seen recently - e.g RDR2, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

Fact is, open world or not - the game needs to look hot. And the fact that we're even discussing whether it compares to Destiny 2 (current gen game) is crazy.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
We all want Halo to look good.

The reality of the situation though is that it could look like absolute dog shit, but if the Multiplayer is solid, no one is going to care lol.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
mKoLCHX.png

Better example. Just looks strange and weird. I understand the lore reasons for it but man I do not like the look.
It looks so strange. Everything is very bright indicating that there should be a lot of light lighting the scene. But there aren't any shadows to back that up. Which would indicate that the sky is extremely overcast to prevent shadows, but if you look at the sky theres almost no clouds.
the lighting is a mess just like in Halo 5 Which had the same issues.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well said. This thread proves that as soon as a game isnt as shiny as they want, they are ready to dismiss everything else about it. People on this forum like to think of themselves as "nuanced gamers", but they are really not. I cant believe how vicious people are in this thread, its embarrassing. They deserve the "E3 bullshot demo" they usually get, because thats what they want in the end.

Sure if you ignore literally everyone who has actively talked about it by reducing it down to a poll with no nuance so you can make your opponents arguments black and white. Sure. Totally.

Let's ignore resolution. Let's ignore how bad this game looks. People said we'd like good looking games at 60fps. We don't need 4K if it makes the games look bad. We want games that look good at 60fps. We don't need photorealism. We don't need hyper realistic. 60fps is the first thing we want for playability, but having to compromise so that at moments your game looks like really low end current gen on a next generation console...that's pretty bad. But nah throw out all that nuance. Because doing that makes you smart. For sure.

If you'd read the thread and the responses to that dumbass post in this thread there's already people explaining that.

But sure you're so superior and have seen the hypocrisy of gamers. Jesus Christ.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure 'open world' or bigger play spaces is really an excuse in 2020. Not after the top tier open world games we've seen recently - e.g RDR2, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

Fact is, open world or not - the game needs to look hot. And the fact that we're even discussing whether it compares to Destiny 2 (current gen game) is crazy.
Ah interesting games to bring up. All 30fps, and with significantly less verticality than a Halo game.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Which current console is running open world Halo at 4K/60fps? With the biggest maps ever seen in Halo? Which one exactly? The hardware differences ARE evident in that neither the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro could run what we're seeing here at 4K/60fps...
How does battlefield 5 play on XBX? I can imagine it's close to 4K and 60FPS with wide open areas, 64 players and destructible environments.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
60fp
LfK88cU.png

60fps is preferable but it's not the be-all, end-all. TLOU2 looks leagues better and does way more to push gameplay at 30fps than the TLOU does at 60fps, for example.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It looks so strange. Everything is very bright indicating that there should be a lot of light lighting the scene. But there aren't any shadows to back that up. Which would indicate that the sky is extremely overcast to prevent shadows, but if you look at the sky theres almost no clouds.
the lighting is a mess just like in Halo 5 Which had the same issues.
/
I was thinking the same thing...man..why does it look so flat? These sort of issues cant possibly be due to them targeting 4K/60 right? That just seems like a bug or oversight.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the way the game looks but come on. The sleaziest developers in the industry is way too harsh.
They released a broken ass game with MCC at launch and I ended up buying the Xbox one for that shit. Then there was the marketing for Halo 5. And now this. I have every fucking right to be pissed of with them.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
The flighting section doesn't sound promising to me. I get the issues with the pandemic changing plans; but this alludes to a WIP multiplayer experience to me

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Infinite - Campaign Evolved

Today, I’m thrilled to share the world premiere of Halo Infinite Campaign gameplay with fans around the world. This is the most technically advanced Halo game ever created, paired with the most powerful console on the planet, allowing us to create the most vivid and immersive way to experience...

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
This is such a stupid fucking comparison.

1. The stuff that the player can actually interact with would fit in a tiny space in Halo Infinite's world.
2. 1080p/30fps in combination with #1.
3. The game actually fucking sucked and killed the Killzone franchise...

Killzone as a franchise is dead because it always sucked and was just a desperate attempt at a 'Halo killer' from Sony (even the name is fucking terrible).

It is a 7 year old game and it looks better than this. Miles better. Seven years old. And it was a launch game so its not some late gen optimisation; it's pretty much directly comparable. Who cares if this is in 4K when the 1080p game looks better, resolution has no effect on gameplay so if the visuals are worse, the visuals are worse.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Gameplay looks decent, but you can definitely tell it's a cross-gen game from the visuals.

Well, we were all worried about the campaign and the gameplay a couple of hours ago. I am taking it for what I knew it to be. A cross-gen game. IF they can knock out the campaign with a compelling story, and if the multiplayer is fun, then it is mission accomplished for me.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, expected more from the graphics but gameplay looks nice and I like the addition of the grappling hook.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So, looks like the world is pretty fragmented. I guess it's sectioned off for story reasons? Like parts of the world can only be reached if you trigger events and the likes.

DvCy0R2.png

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We are going into a new generation so of course graphics whoring is at its peak. Gameplay looks solid and fun, and graphically its got a clean visual language and runs at 60. I love it. Could they improve it, sure. But the hyperbole in here is cringe

It would seem development resources are firmly rooted in different priorities. Its not an ugly game just lacking in detail and artistry

Perhaps their focus is the open world, the physics, and whatever other features are bing put in.

Outside the environments the effects and sound design seem solid. Its a very clean game. Maybe too clean? Feels like playing in a freshly cleaned bathroom.