• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017

I'm very cool with Charge and ADS gone, but Thrusters were one of the better additions. If Sprint is here to stay, and maps need to be stretched to compensate for it, then our lateral movement kind of needed something extra to it as well to better balance things. Without it, we're still moving slow laterally, but now with stretched space between cover due to Sprint.

Things are definitely a step in the right direction gameplay-wise though.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Maybe they designed its visual information look around the sub 720p it will be on base xbox one. Either way, it looks bad. Worse than Reach.

Which would be very strange. Microsoft has guaranteed that the games being on Xbox One would not hit the design and performance on the Series X at all.

Someone must be mistaken in this conversation.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
I think the artstyle and "gamey" visual ques ruin it far more than raw graphical power. Though speaking of graphics, i dunno the hell people expect if they want the game run at 4k/60fps.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I'm not in love with the art style, but if I had to guess they're going for a look that helps define characters and objects. Flip between Halo 1 and Halo 1 Anniversary and you'll see that one pops (the original - albeit the art was likely due to technical constraints) and just makes for a more enjoyable experience. Not an excuse, but more of a possible reason.

Not really a critic I fall to, but Dunkey does an OK job highlighting this with Halo.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks very smooth and fluid and the gameplay is Halo.

Am I fooling myself to think this is going to be 4k/60 on the Xbox One X?

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Someone explain to me how MC's hook works? Doesn't his armour weight like 1000lbs? Shouldn't the hook pull enemies towards him?????!?

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There's truth to this but I'm not sure if a more open world Halo is a good thing or not. Obviously it'll take time to see if it works out however the mission structure wasn't my issue with 343's games. While I also love how colorful the game is again along with the return to more simplified designs, there's something off about what they showed today. Something just didn't click with this footage.

It feels like there's a level of presentation that missing. Some combination of lighting, effects, feedback, and animations. The grapple looks lethargic, feedback when shooting doesn't look too great, and something about the weapon animations are off to me. Something about the footage strikes me as strangely low impact.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that it looks so flat because it's made for RTX but it's not there yet? Kinda like how Halo 2 was built for Pstencil but it didn't make it in.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
What the hell happened to this game? Issues in development? As it doesn't look like MS's flagship title.

Graphics are poor, flat and world is lifeless. Gameplay looks dated.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a nitpick but part of me was hoping they'd bring the classic warthog back. Will never know why 343 felt the need to change the design of the suspension and the engine sound.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
What the hell happened?? I've been at work all day and haven't been able to watch the gameplay video. Reading through this thread is depressing. I wanted Halo to return to its graphic and gameplay state of the art glory. Doesn't sound like that is going to happen ):

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
There's a lot of hyperbole on this thread, game looks fantastic for a fast paced open game, though if you were expecting a graphical powerhouse despite the fact it's a cross gen title, that's on you. But I liked what I saw, though still going with a PS5 on launch.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I get that people are so fixated on the visuals, but man the gameplay is looking amazing. They've really listened to the criticism people had about Halo 4/5.
Honestly the visuals looking so uneven in spots (some screenshots, particularly human character models/ pelican interior shots look great!) has me hope they'll be able to get the worse looking visuals up to par with the better looking stuff by launch.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue for me is the lighting. It does the game absolutely no favours. Bring on the raytracing update.

So, so many objects and models that should have been casting shadows that just... weren't. So strange.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Finally got to sit down with the 4K 60FPS version. I'm honestly very hyped. Warthog looked awesome and I especially wanted to vault over some green hills. Loved seeing the main threats focused on were Covenant and not Promethean. I thought the weapons looked cool and fun, but I do think they're playing it a bit safe. It felt like classic Halo though, which is something I don't feel like I've seen or played since Reach. I'm super on board. I'm ready for launch with Series X!

OP
OP
cartoon_soldier
Oct 27, 2017
The World
4979d3.gif

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
There is a snippet or two of new gameplay here. I don't remember seeing the energy sword in the reveal

This looks pretty damn fun. I just wish they showed what it means to be an open world Halo game. This reveal looked like a standard Halo encounter. It looked really fun to play but this is pretty poor showing of the games structure.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Huh I'm surprised by the visuals. One of the biggest MS IPs, reveal for the next gen console ... And it looks just like a normal shooter from the last 5 years. Ok I might be spoiled by high-end PC gaming, but I expected more.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
yeah... it doesn't look great

but hey, it's not like I'm paying to play this since it's coming to Game Pass. it will be a fun little co-op adventure for the campaign and then hopefully the multiplayer should be exciting as well.

Infinite is going to be the Andromeda of this series, isn't it?

even among all the memes and shit talking of the game in this thread, this is by far the worst shade thrown so far

why do you gotta do em like that?

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Bummed out. This is gamepass curiosity download territory for me. Next gen system seller it ain't. Where are the textures? Everything looks plastic. Like a diarama.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get that people are so fixated on the visuals, but man the gameplay is looking amazing. They've really listened to the criticism people had about Halo 4/5.
Honestly the visuals looking so uneven in spots (some screenshots, particularly human character models/ pelican interior shots look great!) has me hope they'll be able to get the worse looking visuals up to par with the better looking stuff by launch.
Definitely seems like instead of making a great looking game and trying to make it run well and stabalize they made a great running game and are adding graphics and tweaking as they go. There is no way it looks like that at launch imo. It's definitely unfinished.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Unless their RT is GI, then I do not think that is why.

I think theres a really good chance that Global Illumination will be what they will go for, and I think it would be the right call, too. One thing that I thought to myself while watching the gameplay is that their new art-style would benefit alot from ray-traced GI.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This looks fucking awful. Is this running at 120fps? This is the only explanation for the visuals. In some ways, it looks worse than Halo 5. The art direction is also bad - game looks cartoony. The gameplay mechanics look quite slick though.

Rinaccle

Dec 20, 2018
What the hell happened to this game? Issues in development? As it doesn't look like MS's flagship title.

Graphics are poor, flat and world is lifeless. Gameplay looks dated.

This. Exactly. Something about the Lighting and visual fidelity just looks... off.

This is how it looked 2018 (look at that lighting and Level of Detail!):

halo-infinite-ltkqg.jpg

This is how I imagined the look:

halo-infinite-toys-brutes-leak.jpg

This is how it looks 2020 (after nearly 5 years of development):

m0oFc5i.jpg

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Really disappointed this is cross gen. It looks like an upscaled current gen game. I want a graphical showcase, not this.
was this running on series X ? I thought it was running on X , even for a current gen game it doesn't look that impressive after playing games like TLOU2 and RDR2

Oct 31, 2017
I saw this on meme on Twitter 😂

EdobQDnWsAAEO-X

At least folks are having fun with it. I feel bad for 343, this isn't the kind of reception that a flagship game should be getting.