• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
EdoXOZ-XsAERQQh.png

Damn two ONs on this meme ruined it for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite looks fine, it's got me interested on how they will "open world" Halo. It's great that they're aiming for 60fps and the image quality looks crisp. But it doesn't quite have the detailed fidelity of some of the games that the PS5 presentation showed (like Horizon II). It would've been nice if they were to show off things like fast travel to see if XVA really showcases their load performance, unless that title screen to the pelican cutscene was realtime.
I've said it earlier, but my issue is that they didn't really show off what an "open world" Halo entails other than that you're in a large area. The trailer seemed TINY glimpses of potential and then Halo 1-3 looking gameplay with occasional grappling

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm a little disappointed at the lack of visual flair, like it almost seems like they've gone for a deliberately stripped back/uncluttered style, which is probably what you want for a title with such a big focus on MP, but certainly not a system seller.

Having said that, I really need to see the MP/Forge/Co-Op suite before I make any final judgement - not to mention I have GP so it's getting booted up and played regardless.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In many of the What to expect from next gen graphics Era threads Halo Infinite was hailed by a number of members as the by far best looking upcoming game. They kept sharing the cutscene of the pilot waking up Masterchief inside the spaceship. Already there I wondered what I was missing that looked better than anything else. The footage from today in the much more open environment looked even worse and less polished than that footage.
If anything the cutscene shown at the beginning of this demo absolutely matched the quality of that cinematic they showed off last year.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EdoLpfFXgAIAeRr

You sure about that?

This is a game that has almost certainly gone through development hell.

The lead left half way through. It looks incredibly rough just 4 months from release. They are adding core graphical components like RT lighting post launch.
I just noticed the low quality assets in the background. Whew, yeah that ain't great. Still I don't think the environment looks too bad during actual gameplay, outside of the pop-in that definitely needs to be worked on.

I certainly think development must have been rough, perhaps on the engine side of things. That's my only explanation for the game looking as it does. I still don't think it looks bad, but it's a far cry from what was shown in 2018 and I wonder what the hell happened. I suspect the engine isn't as particularly well suited for high-poly/texture assets as it was intended to be. Which seems like a prety bad issue for an open-world game where smooth LOD transitions are a pretty big necessity.

Oct 26, 2017
Man its tough to be a game dev
Yeah all the roasting aside I'm super excited to get my hands on the game, I think they did the best they could to balance old and new. Definitely not perfect, but I do think once more info comes out peoples' minds will change for the better.

343i really has one of the hardest jobs in the industry, and we should appreciate they're doing so much to try and be faithful to as many fans as possible while pushing forward.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least I thought this would at least not have massive pop-in, and yet....

It looks like an early current gen game.

Feb 8, 2018
I remain skeptical that the final product is going to look this bad. Maybe skeptical isn't the right word. I remain hopeful that the final product isn't going to look this bad. If "4k/60, cross-gen" is what this means, they should have altered something about those parameters. There is going to be plenty of 4k-ish, this gen; they should have opted for that over how poor the textures and shadows look.

My wording also wasn't the best sorry about that everyone. Of course there is nothing wrong with 60fps as a priority.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I went back and watched the SlipSpace engine demonstration that seemingly had some Infinite gameplay at the end. What the hell happened to that?

Everything else aside these memes coming out are killing me lmao and I'm really digging the open map design the more I re-watch the gameplay.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
I'm a little disappointed at the lack of visual flair, like it almost seems like they've gone for a deliberately stripped back/uncluttered style, which is probably what you want for a title with such a big focus on MP, but certainly not a system seller.

Having said that, I really need to see the MP/Forge/Co-Op suite before I make any final judgement - not to mention I have GP so it's getting booted up and played regardless.
Imagine if they showed the MP as well and announced a beta which started today.... this wouldn't be an issue.

Where is the beta???

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna ask again, are pre-orders open for this or not yet?

Also, rewatching it, I think the only thing that's gonna annoy me is that screen edges effect when your shields recharge.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I CANNOT believe that they keep hammering on how this is built from the ground up for series X and this is a Halo that hasn't been possible before and this is what we get, truly a let disappointing.

Crankafoo

Dec 3, 2018
Canada
I mean, it looks "fine". Definitely shows it had to be developed for the OG Xbox One still. Played some MCC Reach on PC recently, and I definitely much preferred how it looks compared to this. Just a bit bland in terms of art direction, definitely aping for nostalgia with Halo CE imo.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I've watched this demo a few times now and it looks fantastic (aside from some pop-in) in motion! These screenshots definitely look like they tell a different story, but during the action the visual style makes everything super easy to read.

I was warm on this demo 480p, then I was cold from those screenshots, now I'm hot after watching at 1080p. Gonna re-watch at 4K when I get home and let the beauty wash over me.

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
Like some people in here already mentioned, this feels like a hard overcorrection from 4s & 5s visual style - no edgewear on guns and weird shader choices in general, 343s trademark visual clutter on the hud (e.g. hexagons on shield recharge), mixed audio design and uninteresting encounters.
No matter what you say, I think the Banished design in general is unappealing and ugly from a visual standpoint and I wouldnt miss it if it was completely redesigned.

Jun 10, 2018
For the most part the gameplay looks fine. I hope they don't just go nuts and add too many weapons just for the sake of it. I need to see at least one utility weapon, be it the Magnum or the Battle Rifle. Sadly, they didn't show that. But also, I felt the visuals were a bit underwhelming. I was hoping to be wowed, but wasn't. Doesn't seem to be a big step up from Halo 5. I also wish they would have detailed whether the game supports a performance mode at 120fps.

Most of all, I was hoping they'd at least give some details about the Multiplayer. Like a small trailer and a Beta date. But they said they would share more on the MP in the coming months... the game comes out in four months. There isn't a whole lot of time to show the MP, release a Beta, then fix things before the game launches. Halo 5 had 11 months from Beta to launch, this game will have what? Maybe 1 or 2 months between Beta and launch. At that point it's basically a Demo.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah I think that's important. Personally I think in motion the game looks good.

I was immediately a little underwhelmed with the overall fidelity, but I agree that my first impression of the game in motion was that it looked nice and clean.

Like, the shot of the Shrek brute that everyone is going to spend the next 10 years meme-ing about was literally pulled from a frame that you can't even really see in motion.

Still, I'll be interested to see if 343 or Microsoft have anything to say about the reaction to the visual fidelity. There's some weird contrasts to it - for example, Chief himself looks great. The texture mapping looks great on him. There was also a couple of brief shots of in-game cutscenes at the end, that similarly looked great. On the flipside, I almost thought Hyperius looked unfinished as a model, and there was some momentary pop-in and stuff in the gameplay.

Almost makes me wonder if the game is still more WIP in that realize.

And most importantly, as seems to be getting drowned out here, the gameplay looked great. The grapple looks like it'll be fun to use in combat, and the brutes were literally throwing grunts at you, haha.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it looks built from the ground up for one x
That's my point. The game was made for Xbox One and is getting ported to Series X. Same deal with BOTW which was made for Wii U and was ported to Switch.

Btw, this tells me 343 was behind development if they can't get Ray tracing for the Series X version at launch.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Some observations, first from the demo then from the trailer:

• There's a "1" next to the grappling hook in the UI. That's probably referencing how many uses of it you have before a cooldown. A screen in the pause menu says "Upgrades" so you might be able to upgrade the number of uses before needing the cooldown.
  • There's something weird going on with culling. High grass near the Chief gets culled before it's off screen and pops back in after it's back on screen. Lower grass doesn't seem to suffer from this. You can see this when the Chief looks up at the Phantom in the very beginning.
  • The map screen has a button to "View Mission" so you can probably have multiple missions going at a time.
  • There's also a tab on the pause menu for a Database.
  • Missions seem to have individual difficulties. When hovering over the icons on the map, you can see the icon for Normal difficulty.
  • The missions also seem to have point values of some sort, possibly XP. The Gun Batteries are worth 0320.
  • There's some type of spine structure on the right of the map screen. It kinda looks like the transport system on High Charity from Halo 2.
  • I wonder if upgrading the Grapple Shot is how you open up new areas. There looked like huge chasms all around the "island" (the game calls it an island) that you land on.
  • The player places a waypoint on the gun battery they end up attacking.
  • There's grass pop-in right next to the player when driving the Warthog. The draw distance for it is almost nil.
  • The warthog takes a suicide Grunt with two plasma grenades right to the face without being damages.
  • There's more information for some weapons before you pick them up. This might be for the first time you come across one. The Pulse Carbine, for instance, has "Assault Rifle | Plasma | Burst" written below it. The VK78 Commando has "Tactical Rifle | Kinetic | Auto." Probably Class | Projectile | Type.
  • The player seems to shoot a helmet-less Brute in the head without killing him. This might be a demo-only thing to show him charging.
  • The Drop Wall icon takes the place of the Grappling Shot one, but then when the Drop Wall is used, the Grapple Shot comes back. I wonder if the Grappling Shot is permanent but the Drop Wall is a consumable.
  • The Spike grenades return.
  • The Ravager's extra information is "Launcher | Plasma | Burst"
  • The cooldown for the Grapple Shot is very short.
  • A piece of debris on the left side of the screen is floating at 4:26
  • Ever so briefly, you can see the Pelican the player crashed in when the elevator starts. It's on the left side of the screen
  • At 5:37 the player appears to send out a scan. The mission objectives are brought back on screen and explosives are highlighted through the terrain.
  • The CQS48 Bulldog is "Shotgun | Kinetic | Spread"
  • The Needler is "SMG | Kinetic | Auto"
  • The Plasma Pistol is "Pistol | Plasma | Charge"
  • During the montage at the end, Chief is in what appears to be the Pelican from the beginning. He's looking at a hologram of the Pelican and a bunch of tags around it that all say "UNSC Infinity." Then all those tags change to "Deceased."
  • The Brute Chieftain says that the Halo is under their control and "soon the Auditorium as well." I'm unaware of anything currently in the universe with that name and a quick Google search doesn't turn up anything so it's probably new.
  • He also mentions the Harbinger. "The Harbinger and the Banished share the same goal." I believe the Harbinger is new and 343 devs were cagey when asked about them/it. Could be what the Banished call Cortana, but the Chieftain said the Banished and the Harbinger both "fight to honor the will of Atriox" which is not something you'd think Cortana would do after the end of Halo 5. She claimed the Mantle, i.e. a type of responsibility for protecting life in the galaxy. The Banished are like the opposite of that.
From the campaign trailer:
  1. At 0:45 the player throws some type of new equipment. It electrocutes and incapacitates the enemies.
  2. At 0:55 there's a Marine in the passenger seat and manning the gun of the Warthog the Chief is driving. There's a sneaky cut in there from a shot of the Warthog driving towards the camera to it driving away. The Marines are only in the first shot.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite is going to be the Andromeda of this series, isn't it?
In that it could kill the franchise ?

Potentially.

HALO isn't nearly as strong as it used to be and I think most people would admit a large part of the hype surrounding the new title is nostalgia x new console launch. A really weak entry could do serious damage to what is left of the brand.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm not sure what people were expecting. The game has been in development for 5 years, so how were they ever going to be targeting next gen consoles? MS came out long ago that this was a cross gen game, so any expectations that this was going to be a graphical powerhouse were not wise. The game heading back towards its CE roots, along with 4K/60 open world gameplay is intriguing enough for me.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't imagine PS5 really will either, unless I'm missing something.
More and more im starting to wonder, why put
Out new consoles this year if the launch games arent going to be impressive? Why not wait a year and come out with Substantial games that actually and truly show off the hardware in meaningful ways. I mean, i could probably get another year out of my one x and ps4 pro

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
People also don't seem to understand there is a visual cost to: 4k60FPS, Open World, and supporting split screen play.

Yeah. I mean, I understand people being upset how it looks vs the slipstream trailer from 2 years ago, and yes, the official screen grabs look pretty bad for an end-of-life X1 game, but maybe, as others have said, it's what had to be done to keep it compatible with the original X1.

Personally, I think the visuals look great on the 4K/60fps video. No, not as amazing as the Slipstream trailer, or as incredible as the Rachet & Clank trailer looked, but not "AA" or "indie game" level either.

I feel for 343i. It's always hard when you work on something for years and most of the response when you finally show it off are how it looks like trash.

I'm here for gameplay and split-screen co-op. If they have that and the game is fun, I'm in. Plus, with Game Pass, it's a no-brainer to at least try it.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Is this satire? Bungies environmental design is some of the best in class, especially in the FPS department. I am beyond hyped for HI, even after this showing but I can't deny there are areas of this gameplay reveal that did not look great.

Whether its because they are targetting 4k/60 or the new engine is rough around the edges (or both?) I don't know, but I think its difficult to deny its there.

I disagree. I watched the trailer again in 4K60 and in my opinion the environmental design is just as good as anything I've seen in Destiny excluding skyboxes. Comparing this footage to, say, the EDZ right now, and eh, it looks better to me. That's not even counting the knowledge that I can pick up enemy weapons, vehicles, play split screen co-op, drive multiple characters around in said vehicles, including in the air, grab/interact with objects in the environments affected by physics, etc. all running at twice the FPS on Xbox One as Destiny is. To be fair, I thought the same was true for Halo 5 as well, even though the story was awful (but not quite as bad as Destiny).