• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at these pics and maybe the people who thought that One S/X will hold back the game were right? This does not look 'built from the ground up' for Series X, at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visually the game is straight up embarrassing as a next gen flagship. In many ways it looks like a game that wouldn't look out of place 5 or 10 years ago.

I can't comment on how good of a game it is substantively, and I hope it is good.. But that sure didn't *look* good. Flat lighting, everything bland, overly simple textures... Just bad. Bad.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
EdoXOZ-XsAERQQh.png

😂

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I imagine the people who argued that sprint should be in the game from a realism perspective are furious at the addition of Chief grappling his 3000 pound self through the air to a grunt.

If realism is the hill people want to die on, there's a lot more about a 3000 pound guy in a suit moving around that's unrealistic about Halo, than just a grappling hook, lol.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's fair, but like I said, this holiday they're going to be using Halo to show off the most powerful games console in existence, and quite frankly it's not going to do it justice in the slightest.
I did want them to blow me away with some more pizazz and flair than Microsoft gave us, but at the end of the day, it's also open world, and I'm sure there are some tremendously beautiful vistas and environments that we haven't seen in this crazy short demo.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Love the interaction between Chief and the pilot. Loved how he was mad when they crashed he hit his head and black out even and then wakes up and sees Chief still standing and not having a scratch haha

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That looks like some great Halo gameplay to me. Chiefs look is perfect.

I didnt like 4 or 5 but Im pretty excited to play what Im seeing.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
No, I'm not "telling you that it can't even match the graphical quality of something like a Horizon: Zero Dawn". Because that's not the comparison I was responding to. I was, specifically, responding to a claim that this was somehow on the level of Halo 4 on the Xbox 360, which seemed a patently absurd comparison to me.

If you want to tell me Horizon looks better, that I won't argue.

Well fair. Lets say it didn't look as good as games released 5 years ago on 10x less powerful hardware.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks better, personally. No joke. I've played a lot of Destiny and nothing in the environments is anything to write home about. There's a reason Bungie use Guardians against a skybox backdrop in most of their promotional screenshots. The worldspaces have never been that impressive with respect to textures, decals, decorators, density, physics, etc.
Is this satire? Bungies environmental design is some of the best in class, especially in the FPS department. I am beyond hyped for HI, even after this showing but I can't deny there are areas of this gameplay reveal that did not look great.

Whether its because they are targetting 4k/60 or the new engine is rough around the edges (or both?) I don't know, but I think its difficult to deny its there.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Another thing to consider. Halo 4 launched on one platform (X360), Halo 5 launched on one platform (Xbox One). This game will launch on Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X likely Xbox Series S and PC. It has to be competent on all of these platforms on day one. I know the last few months have been spent trying to convince us that games scale by themselves and that games shipping across four or five platforms at launch will just be a matter of lowering imaginary sliders but it takes a shit ton of work and optimization that previously wasn't necessary.

There are work in progress games and there are work in progress games that are shipping on five platforms while being the most ambitious game in in their franchise with gamplay mechanics and graphical features that need to hold up across single player and both small scale and large scale multiplayer.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with what they showed today. It just needs work, the foundations for a great looking game are there it just doesn't come together at the moment because at this stage of game development games usually don't.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
From now on, every time someone says that current gen won't hold back games or FPS over graphics I will point to Halo Infinite.

Look how the massacred it. LOOK.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
So the thruster pack movement from Halo 5 is completely gone? That's a shame if so.

Also what happened to Cortana and the Guardians? Where's Blue team? Are they still going to tell that story or do they want people to just forget about it with Infinite? I have so many questions 🤔

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did want them to blow me away with some more pizazz and flair than Microsoft gave us, but at the end of the day, it's also open world, and I'm sure there are some tremendously beautiful vistas and environments that we haven't seen in this crazy short demo.

Man I hope so, because there is nothing on this I'd want anywhere near a Series X ad in November.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
not surprised the game looks the way it does, all the people leaving the project was already a big flashing warning sign

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at these pics and maybe the people who thought that One S/X will hold back the game were right? This does not look 'built from the ground up' for Series X, at all.
Absolutely agree with this. Clearly anyone that says the Xbox One isn't holding back, and scaling has always happend...blah blah blah.. is seriously confused.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Halo looked like the best thing ever last year but some seemed to think so. Now they finally showed gameplay and it kinda matched with what I thought it would look like.

In many of the What to expect from next gen graphics Era threads Halo Infinite was hailed by a number of members as the by far best looking upcoming game. They kept sharing the cutscene of the pilot waking up Masterchief inside the spaceship. Already there I wondered what I was missing that looked better than anything else. The footage from today in the much more open environment looked even worse and less polished than that footage.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
We need a developer deep dive on the engine and what's going on in and around the gameplay of this demo.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit - saw it on twitter but those brutes are basically modeled after Killface from Frisky Dingo.

latest
itHJgM0.png

I take it all back. That's very good inspiration, 343.

syncover

Nov 14, 2017
USA
Visually very disappointing, especially after their last two 'in engine' trailers. It looks like an MCC remaster running on X1X. I liked the little bit of gameplay saw but I won't buy a several hundred dollar machine to play it.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
For me my disappointment comes from the fact that we waited so long for anything and it's a demo that felt like something out of E3 2012 in terms of presentation (opening cutscene, fairly standard gameplay with no sense of what's new). I'm ok if it doesn't LOOK that amazing if the gameplay was poppin', but there was no poppin' here. Just a sizzle. (i'm hungry)
If you didn't think the game was "Poppin" you need to get your eyes checked ASAP... There was pop in everywhere.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This game has been in development for 5 years, of course it wasn't built from the ground up for Series X.