• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care about how it looks right now, because as soon as I saw the open world I was out.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from these reveals of Guardians. Is it an open world game? Or is it the same Halo level structure but with a map?

Feb 8, 2018
Yeah, a lot of this looks pretty bad. I don't know if it's because they have a lot of work still to do and things like shadows and proper textures are straight up missing, or if this is some kind of art style they're going for... but they have a way to go to bring this up to the standard I would expect from a first party game of this size.

Personally i played many 30fps titles of various genres in my life that i'm ok with how they run and feel but it's interesting to see a dev focus on 60fps in a 1st party AAA title. What you see are basically the cut backs of 4K/60fps, cross-gen and the fact that'll come out early in the lifecycle.

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Game looks fantastic imo.

That 4K60 video looks great. I really don't understand the hate. Game looks gorgeous and incredibly fluid. Look at all the enemies animations and all the dynamic shit exploding. Don't understand how it can be judged by a picture. The game is going to feel great and look fantastic in motion.

Yeah, I just watched it in 4K60 and I think it looks really nice as well.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is likely a story reason but does anyone else hate the columnar forerunner things littering the "natural" landscape?

ss_18c29f48ea5c118a6cb5287b25bdee6c88fce65b.jpg

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
RT will probably be minor, the lighting and materials need to be completed overhauled, pop in needs to be fixed, a lot of textures need redone and they need to implement more facial animations in game.
Well depends on how this runs on last gen machines. If Xbox One X can run the game like we see in the demo then there would be quite a bit of leftover GPU power to do some major RT implementation, though that seems like an unrealistic expectation.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great imo

the gameplay looks really smooth and fun!

love the look and music

Nagging over screenshots?
60fps open world Halo - THIS is the point. Screenshot are not fun to play. Ask Nintendo

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
At least we know the game isn't all bullshit like the Halo 2 demo. Yeah it's not as hype as Smoke and Mirrors. But it's all believable.

To be fair, I wasn't all that impressed with the visuals of Halo 5 when it came out.

Last time I was impressed was Halo 4. Man did it look great on Xbox360 for the time.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The answer is pretty simple though, it's the version they have (probably) running in a better state.

The game was in development first on Xbox One, it's fair to assume it's the version they have more polished. They have still a lot of time to polish the Series X optimizations, console development is not just plug and play.
Guess I can buy that. But wow, lots of work to do in 4 months to launch your next gen killer app in that case.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the art decisions are not my preference here, it gives the game a lower detailed look. A good example is how opaque the alpha effects are, and lacking detail as well.

Check out this difference between the shields on the elite. The Halo Infinite shield effect is completely opaque; it also looks like it has no small detail reads in the shield effect itself.
shielduojmc.png

Here is the shield effect in Reach on the Elite. It has a varied level of opacity based upon damage type and has this tiling detail all across the shield effect. It also sticks to the outside edge of the model on full frontal views, so you can still see quite a lot. It has a lot of negative space. It just looks... more detailed.
shield24dj2q.png

Playing Halo Reach on the MCC, I always thought it aged well.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game seems really fun, but I was expecting so much more graphics wise. Maybe RDR2 spoiled me, but shouldn't that game technically be able to reach 4k at 60fps on xbox series x?

Texture quality was so much worse than the earlier trailers. Some seemed to even lack proper textures. A lot of pop-in and grass popping out of view (too aggressive occlusion culling?). Directional light (sunlight) had cascades /stairstepping. It just felt so flat and like it was missing a lot of effects. Just doesn't feel right knowing what 343 did with halo 4 and 5. I also felt like there were barely any reflections present in the game. Even on the weapons.

Like I said the game looks fun to play, but this sadly just didn't do it for me.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
after watching the 4k/60fps trailer a couple times I seriously wanna get my hands on this game it looks damn fun, I can totally forgive the visuals if they're going for a BOTW style "you can go anywhere" type of game.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: ^Hey!

But why? It makes absolutely no sense to play on last gen hardware during your next gen showcase.

We know at E3 they sometimes show games on high end PC's instead of the console. Doing the opposite especially at this event makes no sense at all. As much as we want to believe it.

Aaron Greenberg said everything we've seen today was strictly created from home. Could have something to do with it, but that's just pulling a rabbit out of my hat.

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
Welp, just read that this game will be some sort of "live service" and a "platform for the future" according to some news in IGN. This is a no for me.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
is this game also 60fps on original xbox one console. I think they prioritized performance over graphics.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks a bit better. I do hope we get to go to a little more varied locations and its not just on this one biome of the Halo ring

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Looks great imo

the gameplay looks really smooth and fun!

love the look and music

Nagging over screenshots?
60fps open world Halo - THIS is the point. Screenshot are not fun to play. Ask Nintendo

The pop-in is more egregious than any screenshot. Embarrassing for a flagship reveal

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm getting the same feeling from this as I do of other games that have had development troubles. With the news of a couple leads leaving 343 in the middle of development, it might explain some stuff here. At the end of the day, if the open world/wide linear world is designed well and is really fun, thats all that matters to me personally. Wish they would've showed much more of that off.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
this is an epic thread.

Q0Pw81F.png

Disappointing visually. There is news of ray tracing support though in a patch after the game launches that can maybe address some of these issues.

when I focus on one individual element I think "that's not so bad" but when you look at the whole picture its so bad. its like a reverse magic eye poster

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the game that's going to be front and centre to advertise the most powerful games console ever made. Might be an issue there...

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Most disappointing thing for me was the enemy AI. They seem stupid as fuck. They just stood there and shot instead of evading or running like they did in previous Halo games.

Also disappointed about the open world structure. At least there's no XP and level ups and shit.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The gameplay looks like classic Halo, which is a good thing.

4k/60fps is great, but otherwise, the graphics are underwhelming for a late-generation 8 game. There was noticeable pop-in at one point.

I'm looking forward to the DF analysis.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I think that aside from the bland graphics that are literally just 'MAKE EVERYTHING SHARPER'... the next worst thing has to be the 'open world' shown so far.

Sure they made a big effort trying to wow us with vistas, but previous Halo games had those already.

The area shown in the gameplay didn't seem or feel any larger than previous areas we've already played through in previous games.

Spot on.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Haha, so, good joke 343i. Cobbling together a gameplay demo from fake assets that you put together in a week. Now show us the real gameplay...right? Right?

I'm gonna go to my cry corner now and reflect on all the mistakes I've made in my life.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I think the gameplay looks incredibly fun, the graphics are ok at best. I do like how melees actually connect with the enemies now.

Honestly just wanna see MP, campaigns are one and done for me.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really do like that artstyle, but it really doesn't look good in screenshots.
How do people feel about it going open world? I'm not really much of a Halo fan, but I really hate how open world is just becoming the go to for level design now, with even most linear games having at least 1 big open world like section.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get people who want sprint removed. Like, I get the impact it can have on multiplayer, and that's a separate conversation, but, are we really supposed to be able to believe that Master Chief is a super soldier who... never runs?

Like, what?

I'll give you a lengthy reply later, but sprint changes leve design for the worse. In halo 2-3, if you died you couldn't run across the map bacI to where you were to finish the fight, it also means leaves must be bigger.

I have 44 days playtime in halo 5 team slayer so i know what I'm talking about.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Or the demo was ready to be shown to an audience that understands context. There is a reason why we usually don't see actual gameplay demos from games that are almost half a year or more out from release unless they are mood setting vertical slices polished to a degree that the final game will never achieve.
A few threads down I just saw the Ghost of Tsushima downgrade thread and yeah... exactly this.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bottom one is literally 4x the number of pixels...

Guys, this is 4K/60 Halo with the biggest levels ever. And it's still 60fps. Why are we still arguing graphics. It's clear they're prioritizing great feeling gameplay over visual flair...

See I'd be all for that if it was showcases. Where are the massive numbers of enemies? Large scale? Where is me in a pelican flying wherever I want, landing wherever I want, real time. There are open world games that are more impressive than this last gen.

I hope they just showed a very tiny snippet but man it is rough.

Oct 25, 2017
The part I can't wrap my head around is the pop-in. How on earth is that happening on the Series X? The new 343 engine must be a hot mess.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I got a feeling the open world is going to be a mistake. Like bruvs, we just wanted levels like CE and Halo 3.

My biggest worry is that the game being 7x larger means we won't get as many unique missions and we'll have to clear camps and AA guns like the ones in the demo a couple times. I really dislike repetetiveness in open world games and will always prefer linear games for their carefully crafted and unique misions.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm wondering if this will have DLSS 2.0 on PC, because I know I'm gonna wanna turn on ray-tracing and my 2060 isn't the beefiest card.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I mean hopefully they come out and make a statement about why the game doesn't look as good visually as people expected

There was just no "wow" to it at all

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
There is likely a story reason but does anyone else hate the columnar forerunner things littering the "natural" landscape?

ss_18c29f48ea5c118a6cb5287b25bdee6c88fce65b.jpg

I would assume these are showing how the underlying structure of the Halo rings are built. Maybe the terrain got all jacked up because of the Halo's destruction and revealed these structures. Halo rings are not "natural" in any sense and so I think that is the explanation for these sort of machne-looking formations.

That being said, there are real natural rock structures shaped like hexagons like that in real life. They been feature in many many games.