• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Im disappointed in people trying to judge this game based on unflattering screencaps from YT that you can use to make literally every game look bad. Its very superficial behaviour of the people that partake in that.

Fact of the matter is, the games artstyle is quite incredible. The visuals are very clean, perfectly readable and support an open-ended gameplay loop, which is EXACTLY what Halo needs. The visuals are also gonna look very pleasing on a proper screen without video compression.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well uh.. if nothing else, looks like it should run just fine on my X. Still not in any hurry to pre-order Series X.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
It's Halo, but I can't get excited. Dunno what to say... I hoped to be more "WOW" after the video.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This doesn't look rough to you? Not terrible, but its very clearly being held back by the current gen. There was heaps of clear pop-in too.

ss_18c29f48ea5c118a6cb5287b25bdee6c88fce65b.jpg

The gameplay looked good, but this looks like a game made for Xbox One, running at a higher resolution.

65455170-b3e3-4374-86b6-5b3fd48474fa.jpg

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The lighting, textures, gun models, enemy models, gun effects look inconsistent and strange. The coloration looks all over the place. Why the actual fuck do you spend so much time on an engine to present your game like this? I don't fucking understand 343. Everything seems off. I don't know how to put it except that everything is off. What the hell is going on over there. I had such high hopes for this game but it looks... off

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to 343. They killed Halo three times in a row.

I'm honestly surprised why MS letting them make more Halo games at this point. The franchise is dead.

Jan 2, 2018
I am so disappointed I almost feel like crying lol...I have been waiting so,SO LONG for Infinite and its just not what I wanted,and I think I had my expectations in check fully knowing its a cross-gen game.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
To give players who need the sensation of sprinting something to chew on, I guess? As it looks in this demo, all it's useful for is lowering your weapon and taking away the ability to shoot and move at a high speed at the same time. Why not just boost the base movement speed? 343 completely bewilders me with their design choices.

The worst part is both the base movement speed and the sprinting were so SLOW.

I wouldn't have even minded sprint, like, I was prepared to accept it, but it just looks so SLOW. How the fuck does this make anyone feel like a super soldier? He looks like he's just really struggling to really huff and puff his way to the warthog.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The bizarre part is Halo 4 was STUNNING. Like, Halo 4 on One X in the MCC looks as good as a lot of FPS titles released today.

Oct 29, 2017
Im disappointed in people trying to judge this game based on unflattering screencaps from YT that you can use to make literally every game look bad. Its very superficial behaviour of the people that partake in that.

Fact of the matter is, the games artstyle is quite incredible. The visuals are very clean, perfectly readable and support an open-ended gameplay loop, which is EXACTLY what Halo needs. The visuals are also gonna look very pleasing on a proper screen without video compression.

I'm okay with the visuals being clean and more akin to Halo CE, however I am really concerned that Halo Infinite is one giant forge map. I cannot explain those massive vertical columns, the poor AI, and some of clunky animations and scripted issues otherwise.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Graphics look mediocre and gameplay looks stiff. Not sure why people are defending this. Halo 5 looked amazing, this does not.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I guess my expectations were way too high with this one then again I haven't played Halo since 4. I was really hoping that this was going to be the real showpiece for next gen. The graphics left a lot to be desired. I personally would've preferred better graphics in a lower res with 60fps vs the 4k but that's just me. I was hoping to see really great environmental design with a lot of flora and other stuff. Those giant vertical columns is such a strange design choice. Textures looked rough. I was really hoping for the animations and AI to get better but the enemy AI looks like it hasn't really changed at all.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm getting flashbacks from when people called Halo 3 ugly and cartoony back in the day.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah after getting another closer look at the footage, this doesn't look next gen. I do like that they're going for a cleaner less cluttered style overall but their presentation does not look up to par with even today's standards, much less tomorrow's xbox.

I can appreciate the environmental distance, resolution and amount of objects, but the quality of the lighting does not look like an improvement over halo 5 and that came out in 2015. Is that pop-in i'm seeing all over the place? And where have all the shadows gone? I have to wonder if this is the XSX version or the X1 version they're showing
I still do appreciate the overall cleaner presentation but like...this is XSX my dudes what is going on
At times the lighting looks shitty forge levels of bad and this is their premier campaign reveal to the world

And I can hardly believe all they've got for their first reveal is"hey check out the Chief shooting some grunts in this bland environment." This is really how they reveal their first gameplay? Just shooting a couple grunts and brutes followed by a cutscene of vague threatening dialogue? That's all they got?

It's all in this IGN article that came out right after the presentation. None of it sounds promising to me, sadly. https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-2-wont-be-happening-says-343-industries
"343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free raytracing update sometime after launch"
then it sounds like I should confirm that I won't be playing campaign until "sometime after launch," I'm not getting an XSX for nothin
Silly me thinking Halo was going to be a "buy our new XSX console" title.

Q0Pw81F.png

Disappointing visually. There is news of ray tracing support though in a patch after the game launches that can maybe address some of these issues.

you gotta be shitting me
someone actually chose this as a promotional shot on a store page
It looks like a promotional render for Halo 3
I feel like I'm getting punked here

dom8OGS.gif

screen grab from the demo
UKAHZJj.png

Cross posting from the other thread. Dang.

His face is how I feel inside
I am considering making this face my avatar

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll offer my perspective again, without trying to sound like a broken record.

What you have described is the entire issue really. It looks nice and clean, with 4k/60 performance. The Halo CE style is something I appreciate.

But it didn't look like what I'd expect from a next gen Halo game. You're right that it's built for this gen, and upgraded. But for me, that's the problem.
I wanted to see 343i come out and wow us with stuff that could only be done next gen. Ray tracing, crazy effects etc.

I'll wait until it's in my hands, but at this point - I firmly believe that Destiny 2 with the next gen patch is going to look great at 4k/60 too. But like Halo, it's built for current gen. I want to see a true next gen FPS.

Ultimately I think Halo looks like fun. I am interested in playing it. But it's not selling me on buying a Series X. That said, I am looking forward to seeing Ray tracing added to Halo,
And that is the thing, this isn't a next gen halo...it was never planned to be...its microsofts last game for the One really, just like last of us 2/GoT is for PS4. It's just that this is going to run and be optimised for Series X as well.

I think every one knows that deep down, at least I hope they do...? :/

Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty disappointed in this especially after all of the hype for this particular presentation. Graphically it's meh to me no matter how I look at it, and gameplay wise it looks decent. I dunno, my hype has been deflated exponentially.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
You can give me tlou 2/ ghost / Spider-Man / god of war / forza horizon 4/ rdr 2 / control at 4k60fps and it would be much more impressive

They would still look like last gen games, which they all are. Cross-gen is a genuine boat-anchor and shit will not have any wow-factor. It's like people forgot how many complaints there were about cross-gen at the start of the PS4 gen.

MS is going all-in on Gamepass and cross-gen as their play. Sony's clear view on defined generations is the standard approach. I suspect the Sony approach is going to appeal to more of the enthusiast crowd, but not making predictions on how this shakes out.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not thrilled with the visuals but you do realize 90% of that Halo 3 image is background art and not actual geometry, right? I'm sure 343 could make the same thing it just would be a 30 fps linear map like the other games.
Just take any shot from halo 3 and I can bet your ass it looks better than Halo Infinite

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I am so disappointed I almost feel like crying lol...I have been waiting so,SO LONG for Infinite and its just not what I wanted,and I think I had my expectations in check fully knowing its a cross-gen game.

I'm sure it doesn't help that it's crossgen, but I don't think it's what the game's problem is. It really, really looks like engine troubles. And since this is another game that had its engine in dev alongside the game, which is always a dangerous thing, I presume this is exactly what's happening.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I said "whoa"....but not in the good way. That was not what I expected at all. It looked like an early gen game from the CURRENT gen. It didn't help that they showed the Become stuff before that. That's what I expected.

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
Is this thing crossgen? If it is maybe that explains the poor visuals. They really should've pushed this game to the console's full potential or at least close. This seems like a Xbox One game in all honesty.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
They need to speed up that grappling hook. I can just imagine third person view with chief sputtering along when he hooks something.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny runs like molasses on consoles. It's not a apt comparison.
If that Beyond Light trailer is running at 4k 60 on series X and Infinite is running at 4k 60 on series X, I would be embarassed for 343. Not to mention Destiny is a mmo'ish game, with instances and tons of other players running around doing shit in massive environments.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The art style isn't as good as 3, but it's a heck of a lot better than 4 and 5.

The gun play just doesn't quite feel like it delivers the oomph it needs though, and I flat out still don't trust 343 with a weapons sandbox - they have a long track record of horrible judgement there.

I'm still not super convinced the open world is a good fit for Halo, but I guess we'll see. There's a lot of worrying pop in though, it really leapt out in places.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
What made the encounters so notable in Halo wasn't just the designs, it was the fact that he AI felt a lot more intelligent than pretty much any other shooter. Enemies had clear ranks and would bark orders to lower ranked enemies. Lower ranked enemies would run in fear if you killed the elites. etc. Plus the elites just looked cool.

Predator inspired samurai aliens with laser swords. I definitely think that they looked their best in reach.
1200px-Elite_Comparisons2.jpg
they did look their best in reach - I also prefer the reach shield effects to what we saw here in Halo Infnite.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Going from this to the Destiny Stasis trailer back to this is really telling. 343 just doesn't have the magic Bungie does, and they will never live up their predecessor.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think that aside from the bland graphics that are literally just 'MAKE EVERYTHING SHARPER'... the next worst thing has to be the 'open world' shown so far.

Sure they made a big effort trying to wow us with vistas, but previous Halo games had those already.

The area shown in the gameplay didn't seem or feel any larger than previous areas we've already played through in previous games.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I expected more from the Grapple Shot too. It was used in kind of weird situations outside of grabbing and throwing the plasma coil at the turret. Definitely not the "oooh!" moment like grabbing dual SMGs was for Halo 2.

Their attempt to make Halo look accessible to beginners again, and Halo Infinite being the new jumping off point for that, makes it look less fun than the gameplay mechanics otherwise suggest. Someone else mentioned an overcorrection here, and that's kind of how I feel.

Gameplay-wise, I don't really like the idea of the bulldog replacing the shotgun, either. The Shotgun has had one of the best sound designs of any weapon in a video game and the bulldog just wasn't it.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not a fan of how 'clean' everything looks. A lot of the alien models also carry over a lot of their design from 4 which I didn't really enjoy. 2 and 3 had some really distinct designs for the Covenant that really popped and felt timeless. Here they look a lot more subdued, I guess? I could never really put my finger on what it was exactly but everytime I look at the way Grunts and Elites looked in 4 onwards (and Reach to a lesser extent) it was clear to me they weren't nearly as distinct as in previous games. And that's such a shame because Halo's enemys are right up there with Doom in terms of how memorable and fun they are to fight.

Guns are also pretty boring on a visual level. A lot of the human weapons blend together too much in terms of visuals. Same with some of the Banished weapons shown here today, I would love if 343 made more weapons as distinct as the Needler, Plasma Rifle, Carbine one day. That plasma weapon that has a three shot burst is much too similar to the plasma repeater from 4 iirc. And was that the Mauler? Why does it look so boring? It looks like it could be mistaken for a human weapon tbh.

Disappointed the grappling hook is some point A to point B stuff instead of something like Titanfall 2 where you could change up your momentum in fun ways. I know they're two different series with two different objectives but grappling hooks in games tend to be pretty homogenized across the board. Wish they did something more interesting with it. It's cool that you can throw those explosive barrels and tether to enemies at least.