• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Saw the upgrades tab there in the map menu. I'm intrigued.

Klortch

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It really does look like a slightly enhanced current gen game. Also, the music of Halo is so epic and nostalgic--I can't understand why it wasn't featured more prominently to build anticipation. It didn't even start until like the 3:45 mark.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Complaints about the "flat" art are bizarre to me when so many people on this forum shit on 343's overdesigned art for Halo 4/5 (which for the record I don't care for). I know some people don't even like Bungie's redesigns of some Covenant enemies for Reach because they're overdesigned. So now when 343 clearly goes back to the well of simpler Halo 3 art, they think it's too flat? Halo fans are like Zelda fans at this point.

The assault rifle in Halo 3 doesn't look like it was 3D printed the way this one does.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
I definitely wasnt impressed with the graphics, but hopefully we see better gameplay the closer to release.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I definitely see the roots and the reason why I love Destiny. But the main gripe I have (despite of course it not looking crazy graphically) is the oomph and impact of the guns.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

unknown.png

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of us were concerned that there was no MP and people responded by saying there wasnt enough time-but now that the show is over that clearly isn't true considering the majority of it was nothing but CGI trailers and even Halo itself had 3 cut scenes during its reveal. I think its obvious MP just isn't ready to be shown off. Especially considering what they showed off for this campaign thus far. Idk, originally it just felt lackluster but now that the show is over its starting to become concerning. 5 years and 2 years of teasers and this is what we got?

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty disappointing and set the mood for the conference.
The game sounds great on paper but that demo was very lackluster

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Bingo.

The person playing seemed to purposely shy away from headshots for some reason, which meant it took longer to kill a lot of the enemies. It was weird.
Yeah as i age, I really hate watch people play shooters. Makes me antsy seeing them doing things "wrong" in my eyes. Only game genre that does that to me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looked very cool, I liked it all, but graphically it was disappointing. Might be the crappy Youtube quality I guess but I kept thinking "When will they show the XSX version?"

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Complaints about the "flat" art are bizarre to me when so many people on this forum shit on 343's overdesigned art for Halo 4/5 (which for the record I don't care for). I know some people don't even like Bungie's redesigns of some Covenant enemies for Reach because they're overdesigned. So now when 343 clearly goes back to the well of simpler Halo 3 art, they think it's too flat? Halo fans are like Zelda fans at this point.
The early Halo games are light on medium-scale detail, but put a lot of emphasis on fine surface detailing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed on the music, it's catchy. The rest? Not so much. Definitely not the art style but to each his own.
Fair enough, but the gameplay shines when you crank it to Heroic or higher and just start trying things.

The important things to understand about Halo is that it's anything but a linear by-the-numbers shooter. Halo's whole thing is sandbox gameplay, which means you're tossed into an environment with all kinds of weapons, vehicles, and geography. You can fool around with any number of carefully planned, seat-of-your-pants, or downright wacky approaches to combat, and get a different result every time.

If that's not your bag, that's cool, but a big reason the older Halos have enduring appeal is that Bungie's classic formula provides endless opportunities for inventive fun.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never played any Halo until, like, last week, the art style here looks a lot more appealing than what I've seen in the MCC on PC.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of us were concerned that there was no MP and people responded by saying there wasnt enough time-but now that the show is over that clearly isn't true considering the majority of it was nothing but CGI trailers and even Halo itself had 3 cut scenes during its reveal. I think its obvious MP just isn't ready to be shown off. Especially considering what they showed off for this campaign thus far. Idk, originally it just felt lackluster but now that the show is over its starting to become concerning. 5 years and 2 years of teasers and this is what we got?
I mean they had to squeeze in Destiny 2 and PSO 2. Those games are barely out of alpha state need to get the marketing running on them

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see more gameplay before I judge it but I like that they've gone with a more openish world like ODST. I just hope they realise what made ODST great was that there were also traditional levels that were peppered throughout the campaign too.

I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like ADS has been removed, the implementation of it in H5 was actually really well done and looked cool visually.

Graphics are good but not mind blowing, it's not nearly as bad as some people on here are making it out to be anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about them adding in ray tracing after the game has launched though, I get that they're trying to get this game done for the launch of the console but at the same time they shouldn't be looking to rush this out the door unfinished. This franchise already went through that with the MCC and it wasn't a good look.

The 4K footage looks way better but I'm still not digging the "flat" art style.

R39lHpH.png

Much prefer the gritty 360-era Reach graphics.

The gameplay looked good though.
Yeah the weapons look like they've come straight off a factory line and have never been used. I didn't mind the new pistol design but I hope they also have a more traditional magnum in there too.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was just waiting for Chief sprint in this lol. Kinda disappointed that the mobility stuff remains, but I can't say I'm surprised. Sigh.

As for the rest, the Brutes being back is cool, and it looks like they'll have a unique damage model as well (the player shot them in the leg and then stumbled, shooting them in the head knocks off their helmets ala-Reach). Dunno how I feel about the new weapons - the Commando being a mid-range automatic is neat, as it's something that Halo hasn't really had before (though Halo 5's AR was slightly encroaching on that space lol), though on the multiplayer side I worry a bit. Autos are traditionally easy weapons to use, so if we have a gun with decent range as well as being easy to use optimally, I feel like it could be rather dull as far as its place in the sandbox and what comes of it. The Brute weapons look cool, my favorite being the Mauler hand cannon thing. Not sure how I feel about the burst Carbine, though.

The open world stuff is a pretty good fit for Halo, I think. We'll have to see how it's handled but it's a natural place for the series to go given it's history. I just hope it's not too checklist-y and whatnot, and actually leaves room for the player to organically find and discover things on their own.

I think visually it's pretty good looking, honestly. I was underwhelmed when watching it on stream, but the 4k YouTube footage looks pretty nice - a lot of fine texture detail and things in the distance got kind of lost with the stream bitrate. The main blemish I'm ot I ing pertains to shadow resolution, which isn't the best, but overall I think it looks good. Maybe doesn't scream "next-gen," but it was never going to with the game still being developed for base Xbox One.

Overall, I think what they showed looked pretty alright, but I'm concerned with the multiplayer Side of things. We know how the advanced mobility stuff affects Halo at this point, and I don't see how they're going to miraculously sidestep the issues that have been known for years.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really impressed by this from a gameplay perspective. I don't care about graphics not being a showcase, I'm probably playing this on Xbox One anyway. I think the art style helps offset its lack of powerhouse graphical ability. I'm not a huge fan of the AR look but that's small in the grand scheme of things.

343 seems to have finally nailed the atmosphere of an alien world that we've missed since Halo CE. The map looks open which 4 and 5 sorely lacked and that grappling hook has a ton of potential. I love hearing Atriox mentioned as well.

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
well i dont have to be worried about if i can run it on my mid range rig from 2015, so ill give it a shot as soon as its on pc gamepass

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
First of all, it's great that this game is running at 4K native at 60fps.

Kind of underwhelming for Xbox's flagship franchise on such a powerful console.

EDIT: I didn't know this was cross gen. But still I think it looks underwhelming for current Gen.

They haven't said it's running at Native 4k. The waypoint article says "Up to 4k"... take that as you will.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for 343
It's feels like Halo is one of those games that just can't win and fans are never satisfied with...

They should do a new IP next
That said i'm excited to play Infinite.

Really? seems like it depends more on the developer

halo 1 -- satisfied
halo 2 -- satisfied
halo 3 -- satisfied
halo odst -- satisfied
halo reach -- call it 5050
halo 4 -- unsatisfied
halo 5 -- unsatisfied
halo 6 -- tbd

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018

I think the complaint is that there is so little detail. Chief looks detailed as hell.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-gen isn't an excuse imo. We have a lot of current gen games that look better, even ones that hit 60 fps. Gears 5 is a great example, it looks amazing.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New trailer with exclusive footage and gameplay moments not shown in the campaign demo.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I love Halo, but this demo was kind of dull. There just wasn't a wow factor for me. I hope its great but ill just temper my expectations.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I cannot believe how underwhelming this looked. Not even the graphics, it's like, everything. Gameplay is bland and stale, starting with an overly long and boring cutscene that does its characters no favors. Plus nonsensical writing in that CG trailer they never should have transitioned into live gameplay with a gulf in fidelity that massive.

"Liquid crystal cannot rise on its own. Titanium alloy cannot prevail in the face of extinction. Armor cannot hope."

???

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
5yXBfeF.png

Tell me the difference between these two pics.

One is a 360 game the other isn't.
And I prefer Halo 3 artstyle wise, it had textures, Halo infinite gives the appearance of single colored objects.

Also the trailer was just a cutscene and then an A to B walk to a tower. and nothing interesting happened in between except for some fights. but none of the set pieces looks interesting, I didn't see cool forerunner structures with tons of mystery. It was just a fight here, then a fight there, elevator to top and, corny cutscene and cut.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Really disappointed but I'm still really looking forward to playing it even if it's just a slightly better Halo 5 with open world and current gen visuals. Wide FOV on PC should make a big of difference to the speed and feel of combat.

The bad showing at least brought down my crazy levels of hype and will make the wait much easier.