• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they detailed the reasoning behind the omission of split-screen? If so, could you please link the article?

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo 5: Guardians - Your Team is your Weapon

Today marks the first in a series of developer blogs that we’ll be publishing here on Waypoint. These blogs will feature contributions from members of the Halo 5: Guardians Development Team and will cover a wide variety of different topics. Similar to The Sprint, our goal is to provide more...

This isn't even relevant to this discussion though.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is he literally says "Learn to formulate constructive criticism" and there are people acting like he said you're not allowed to criticize.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldnt a solution to this be for developers/publishers to release a full list of known issues, bugs and problems before releasing the game. Then consumers could make a informed choice to buy the game or not knowing the existing issues?
Then any "criticism" from players can be handled by pointing to the list and saying you knew this before you bought the game.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt a solution to this be for developers/publishers to release a full list of known issues, bugs and problems before releasing the game. Then consumers could make a informed choice to buy the game or not knowing the existing issues?
Then any "criticism" from players can be handled by pointing to the list and saying you knew this before you bought the game.
That won't happen because it will hurt sales. Many of the issues are known beforehand (see Star Wars Fallen Order dev comments), they just choose to launch the games with them, often upon publisher pressure.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343i have been doing that with the MCC PC release so it doesn't make a difference. Even then some bugs are never noticeable until long after post launch.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Then you get into the fact that "problem" can be subjective and you'll get "I don't get why <Nintendo> didn't do <voice acting for Link in Zelda?"> which obviously isn't gonna be in those kinds of notes because it's not an issue to the devs/most people.

Which before anyone jumps to conclusions about that, it's fine to want it. It's more about how people choose to voice that opinion, how well they keep their expectations in check, and how they cope with the respnse.

Last edited:

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Halo 5: Guardians - Your Team is your Weapon

Today marks the first in a series of developer blogs that we’ll be publishing here on Waypoint. These blogs will feature contributions from members of the Halo 5: Guardians Development Team and will cover a wide variety of different topics. Similar to The Sprint, our goal is to provide more...

This isn't even relevant to this discussion though.

Well, I think it's a good thing if developers are transparent about certain decisions because it can make their stance more understandable and, in return, they can get better feedback from the community.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think the important message isn't "don't criticise games", but to frame your criticisms based on your experience as a player rather than seem to pretend to expertise you don't have

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The funny thing is he literally says "Learn to formulate constructive criticism" and there are people acting like he said you're not allowed to criticize.
I think the important message isn't "don't criticise games", but to frame your criticisms based on your experience as a player rather than seem to pretend to expertise you don't have
Well you see it shouldn't matter how I voice my discontent. It just matters that I do it, and that I make sure everyone knows just how dissatisfied I am with my toy so the people who made it will change it to exactly what I desire. This is what we do as Gamers™, of course. To attack one is to attack us all!

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Wow not something I'd do so publicly. Good luck and Godspeed.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

That would usually be like several hundred / few thousand known issues per game. Would you buy a game that has about 3,500 open bugs?

Would you buy any software product knowing the amount of issues they have in their issues database?

EDIT: Just to give a very simple example: Firefox.

The address bar, the download window and the bookmarks and history panel in Firefox, combined, currently have 1,415 open issues. Just those 3 parts of the browser. Now imagine how much there is in total, and how much there would be in a very large video game, something massive and open world like World of Warcraft or Assassin's Creed or something similar.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That would usually be like several hundred / few thousand known issues per game. Would you buy a game that has about 3,500 open bugs?

Would you buy any software product knowing the amount of issues they have in their issues database?

EDIT: Just to give a very simple example: Firefox.

The address bar, the download window and the bookmarks and history panel in Firefox, combined, currently have 1,415 open issues. Just those 3 parts of the browser. Now imagine how much there is in total, and how much there would be in a very large video game, something massive and open world like World of Warcraft or Assassin's Creed or something similar.

As a software engineer and a customer I would love to see the backlog items / features for bugs that are bothering me and their positions on backlogs.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
He literally says it... in the middle of things like :
Also, we probably didn't do the thing because it was a bad idea to begin with and they should feel bad.
But yeah, if someone choose to ignore everything that pretty much contradict such statement, formulate constructive criticism is effectively his message.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I don't like how in modern AAA development everything needs to be part of a design doc and approved by committee.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I don't like how in modern AAA development everything needs to be part of a design doc and approved by committee.
It's not specific to games, it's a necessity of large scale software development in general. You need to keep track of what code is being changed and why, because if the shit hits the fan you need to track what everyone was doing to identify the fault., and that the fault only existed because the design ultimately failed, not because two different projects ended up conflicting in the same codebase.

It's essentially a means to prevent the Too Many Cooks problem, and to make sure the people who are assigned to that task are actually staying on that task and aren't creeping undocumented changes in to your incredibly large and complex codebase.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Notwithstanding Edward's post above, there's room for a studio to allow a dev to go and develop some functionality / feature when they've met their designated goals (a good studio won't be overloading devs so they will have time to do such things as well). They'll still have to present their idea / functionality & ultimately have it signed off, but they'll be open to ideas and work done like this.

I don't know how many are open to stuff like this, but I have to imagine Valve is very much like this. This sort of thing can be accomplished even with some hierarchy.