• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guilty of doing this, but he's not wrong at all. Gamers are fucking crybabies that have no clue what goes on behind the scenes.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I need to print this tweet storm out and post it on my desk wall. lovely. i love it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's a solid thread. They're right, the "devs should just do X" thing is fairly lazy.

I work in a technical field and believe me when I say that changes to the product, especially midstream, are *never* as easy as the client thinks they are. With gamers having a toxicity problem, I definitely get where they're coming from.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Few things:
  • He's right.
  • He's done more extensive, foundational work for the Halo PC modding community, gratis, than almost anyone you can name... and gets little credit or credibility within the wider Halo community for it.
  • He knows what he's talking about from both sides of the fence intimately. He's seen this mess from the outside before he was ever on the inside. More than most, he's earned a degree of license to shoot straight with the obnoxious fandom set without gamers falling over and clutching their ankles over it. He didn't get into this business by tightening a tie and kissing you on the forehead. Relax!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Part of the problem is a lot of modern games are built from the ground up to be simple and quick to patch. So dota 2 ships patches every day and fixes small issues immediately.

So that's what you're competing with when your modern PC port of a different old PC port based on an old Xbox game ships slightly buggy and people are expecting stuff to be fixed within days. In reality it's obviously much harder than that and if you fix the shields not showing up on elites the game might just crash or introduce ten other bugs.

Or what is probably most directly behind this for context is the Reach audio which sounds like you're playing over the phone in a cave for months with no fix in sight. They're being transparent and talking about the process but again your competitors (other games) don't generally have these issues (or course some do) and people aren't used to this sort of thing in 2020.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in his position should really run feedback like that through a filter. Obviously people have no idea what they're talking about, but you can take their general complaint and think of a way to address it using what you are actually capable of.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Glad people speak out against this

it's been too longthat consumers can be absolute little shits. Devs are people too, not perfect machines

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
What about the opposite where "I don't get why dev did thing?" Like in Halo 5, the Spartan Abilities actually hinder and limit movement if you compare it to other titles. Why?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
What about splitscreen in Halo 5? Are we ignorant little shites for asking about that too?

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Page 5 and we still got people coming in here to soapbox their problems with Halo instead of addressing anything that's being discussed in the OP.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the opposite where "I don't get why dev did thing?" Like in Halo 5, the Spartan Abilities actually hinder and limit movement if you compare it to other titles. Why?
I'm hoping the intent isn't "never criticize anything a dev does ever" but more "don't act like doing something is easy and insult us by calling us lazy."

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tweets in the OP are pretty whiny and immature IMO

Listen up KIDDOS! When you get into the REAL WORLD, you have to deal with these things called PROJECT MANAGERS. Ever heard of em? Probably not. There's also design docs. It's like what you do with your crayons but FOR REAL. You think you have a good idea? lol, think again, you're stupid because you didn' t even create a test plan.

His condescending tone describing every corporate job ever, including mine, ain't gonna make me stop asking why game developers do or don't do certain things.

For example, I still don't know why DICE decided to totally fuck up BFV's TTK, TWICE. I guess I'm not allowed to say that until I write a "don't fuck up the TTK" design document

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the shit posts here, "If Reach audio isn't fixed why are they releasing CEA?!"

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
You don't have to be an auto mechanic to know when you've been sold a lemon, and most consumers don't actually care about the reasons why the car ended up being a lemon.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
it's ok to have issues with something you paid retail for. You don't have to be a dick about it though.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
f5c.gif

followed the instructions, it just summoned a kandarian demon. still no battery ffs

This is nightmare fuel. What phone is that??

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Didn't we recently have a thread in which someone said "Microsoft had easily achieved backwards compatibility in One"?

Well, that.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I mean, I agree with this in principle, but there are times where it can be a valid criticism. For example, there's no good reason why many AAA-budget games don't have more accessibility options.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Listen up KIDDOS! When you get into the REAL WORLD, you have to deal with these things called PROJECT MANAGERS. Ever heard of em? Probably not. There's also design docs. It's like what you do with your crayons but FOR REAL. You think you have a good idea? lol, think again, you're stupid because you didn' t even create a test plan.

His condescending tone describing every corporate job ever, including mine, ain't gonna make me stop asking why game developers do or don't do certain things.

For example, I still don't know why DICE decided to totally fuck up BFV's TTK, TWICE. I guess I'm not allowed to say that until I write a "don't fuck up the TTK" design document
By quick googling (I don't play nor follow the game), they actually have explained the changes. There's community managers talking to the players in Reddit and in official forums. Check those out. They aren't going to call you personally.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Certainly a good thing YOUR tone wasn't condescending or it may have just proved his point even more and made you look foolish.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
"I don't get why/how" is one of the most obnoxious things. It's stupid as far as back seating someone else's profession, and it's just as dumb when people act mega fucking dense like it is so difficult for them to grasp what people like about a thing.

That and "is it just me" people are the fucking worst.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Also, hearing this come from software developers is always a little weird considering how that field is notorious for complaining and shitting on others work. I feel like software developers are constantly ranting about different programming styles, libraries, etc.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
This person has obviously cracked, but it is absolutely possible to come out with statements as vague as 'Why didn't they do X'.

It's no different to calling out crap gameplay systems in reviews.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna link to this every time someone critizes DMC5's level design or V's mechanics, or people ask for a dedicated dodge button.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So thats why Nintendo didn't put cloud saves in all their games and some fighters don't feature rollback code. Enlightening.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This person speaks no lies. It was one of the most frustrating things about game development. Sometimes internally too from management or non-development people.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Garbage in is garbage out.

Fix your shit. IDGAF about the excuses when you're not an indie.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By quick googling (I don't play nor follow the game), they actually have explained the changes. There's community managers talking to the players in Reddit and in official forums. Check those out. They aren't going to call you personally.

I didn't give enough context for my point. I do play bfv and I do follow it closely. I have read every patch notes post, community broadcast, etc. The explanations they have given are self-contradictory, unsubstantiated, and ultimately bad. Many people who actually play and follow the game have given extensive and substantive critiques of dice's "explanations". Jackfrags for example had a very good video about why the explanation for the most recent TTK changes made no sense.

I have engaged with the community managers and some devs on the reddit. In general, feedback is politely accepted and fed into a black box which produces baffling changes to the game that nobody wanted and nobody likes (auto spotting, direction arrows on hud, etc etc).

The fact that they completely reverted the first TTK change and near completely reverted the most recent one is a decent argument against the "sit down, let the professionals handle this" tone of the tweets in the OP.

Last edited:

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
What about those of us who are also software developers? Do we get a license to complain then?
No.

Given you work in the field you can convey your criticism without starting with "I don't get why", given that working in said field, gives you at least a vague understanding of why someone does x.

Nothing about the tweet is against criticism, but against a specifically worded one, a pet peeve.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This has happened several times in the past. Telling people on the internet to stop yelling at you doesn't do anything.

Halo's sheer colossal popularity in the late 2000's attracted a lot of people to the fan base that have no conception of empathy; people who have no idea how to put themselves in the shoes of the developers or anyone else for that matter. Dealing with this sociopathic mindset from forum trolls that constantly attack your work without any kind of analysis or self reflection can take a toll. 343 gets more undeserved whinging than possibly any other studio.
Nah, that's just not true.

Dunno why we try and measure how toxic a particular franchise's community is. The Halo community is incredibly small compared to something like the League of Legends community, or most popular modern online game communities for that matter.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late posting, but I get what he is saying. There are things that you, as an avid player can see and inquire about, without being a complete jerk about it. Often times I think the criticism comes of harsher than intended because of general ignorance of what goes into a game. There are some things that just slip through the cracks (sometimes intentional) that criticism is warranted and can be used to get a change to the product. This is old, but one of the issues of the beginning of the HD Era was font sizes being too darn small. Something like that i can see being criticized, and rightfully so.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people need to understand the complexity, priorities, time, design and oversight in game development better before venting and don't uee harsh words,don't badger, don't be hateful but I don't think there is much wrong with just ideally chatting, why didn't they do this and that, I hope they do this, could be better as long as it's polite general chat. It's no doubt frustrating, draining and sometimes soul destroying reading comments from people who don't know what their talking about but people are just that, they don't know the complexity etc. and are perhaps not able to convey or trying their best to get their view across in great detail, it's general simple chat that shouldn't be taking to heart that is hopefully as polite and tame as possible even if it's lacking in technical know how.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
How are they not wrong? What are they actually saying? My company doesn't prioritise a quality product? Great to know.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
User Banned (5 Days) - Justifying Harassment and Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I want quality products, not corporate excuses. Couldn't care less. It just exposes the company's view on putting out good products.

I'm sick of this feel sorry for my company BS. Learn from your failures and get better, the way it's supposed to be. Quality should be going up, not warping back in time.

I'm not supporting attacking devs, but calling out shoddy products should never go away.