• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I hope to live in a world one day where developers are able to freely call out toxic fandoms of the games they work on, call them shit heads, and not be reprimanded because consumers feel like they are entitled dipshits who can shit on devs all day and devs just have to the bigger person in the situation.

I hope to live in a world where people are intelligent enough to realizing you are free to call out anyone you want, but they are also free to respond to you as well.

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
Its give an take, you can't reasonably expect people to just pay you money and not critique the product they have just bought or you're expecting them to buy. That said you should be able to expect that they are going to hand out those critiques with a measure of decency.

Also the whole you don't know how its made or what we do so don't question it unless you do is fucking dumb.

People question decisions in movies everywhere all the time and have no clue how to make a movie or what goes into it, same with books and television.

Look at a recent example with Sonic the hedgehog, almost no one who complained about his original design had any clue what went into designing him but they knew that is was wrong and that it needed to be changed so they voiced it and by listening the movie made bank where it most certianly would have bombed had they just ignored the critisims.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
"Noone likes a backsear driver who more than likely has never touched a steering wheel."

That's a damn good quote.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about you, fraking, developers aren't as secretive so you don't lead people with no clue how game dev works into thinking things are easy or straightforward.

There's a language-barrier here and sometimes developers are as bad as gamers at miscommunicating about it.

There's a pretty big catch-22 here. The technical, management, and scheduling skillsets needed to develop a game are considerable, and being large creative projects with massive innovative technical components, there are few "one size fits all" answers about game development.

Whenever gamers do pick up understanding of some part of the process, they tend to apply it out of context to other games, or misunderstand the implications of it, of ask why all games don't do it that way, or whatever.

We can tell as much as we want about the process publicly (there are tons of gdc talks freely online!) but you're going to need the years of skill and experience to really translate them! Without it, you're just going to say the same lazy devs stuff except with more misplaced confidence in some factoid you learned about one game, or one part of the process.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
How about you, fraking, developers aren't as secretive so you don't lead people with no clue how game dev works into thinking things are easy or straightforward.
How about people learn to word themselves with respect and an understanding of their own lack of knowledge? This is a two way street. The onus always gets placed on the person receiving the bullshit and it's just ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Misdirected frustration is misdirected.

If you want critiques based on the full pipeline of development for your product, make you process transparent.

Oh you won't? Then STFU about getting critiqued in the manner in which it comes. Eat the meat and spit out the bones like any other professional in any other industry.

That sounds like the solution in theory but it gives other people a lot more surface for a lot more unwarranted criticism and hate, which is why most devs don't do it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
in one thread, you've called him 'unprofessional', 'classless' and a 'whiner'.

this, in a thread where the majority of responses here are of empathy towards the oft-abused developers.

really?

I never called him "classless," do not put words in my mouth. And if you go around calling people "ignorant little shits," you might get called a few things in return. Try it in your everyday life and see what happens.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
it's very clear he's talking about 'lazy devs' or 'incompetent devs' rhetoric, not well meant feedback.
How do you easily make the disctinction ?

Say if I posted : " I don't get why I can't see the tickets left in the server browser of battlefield V" wouldn't you say that exact same post could be used with with 2 very different intent ?
Is the answer they should give "because it was a very bad idea and they know better and I should feel bad ?".

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
How about people learn to word themselves with respect and an understanding of their own lack of knowledge? This is a two way street. The onus always gets placed on the person receiving the bullshit and it's just ridiculous.
true true, but a player being very ignorant with things like "Why didn't they add that character? They had the other, it looks easy enough" is a different form of ignorance than a developer going "Can you please tell me in my own work language how to do my job!?"

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hes totally right. Hell get blasted because God knows most fanbases love calling you all sorts of shit but as soon as you dare to send criticism back their way they become ultra sensitive little things.

Im always down with constructive criticism from outside the industry. You all can see things from the outside that we sometimes miss. Its when people go to the next step (because of the usual lack of empathy, inflated ego, arrogance, etc) and start telling devs not "I dont like it" but "do it like this" that well just stop paying attention.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Misdirected frustration is misdirected.

If you want critiques based on the full pipeline of development for your product, make you process transparent.

Oh you won't? Then STFU about getting critiqued in the manner in which it comes. Eat the meat and spit out the bones like any other professional in any other industry.

343 has probably the most transparent development process ever seen in a bigger, let alone a AAA studio. Look at this January update for the Master Chief Collection. They have written dozens of these for months and months now. They are putting early versions of their games up months before release for the community to test them. This type of transparency is completely unheard of in the AAA space. Even Early Access and Kickstarter Projects don't tend to chronicle their development process and future plans this well and thoroughly.

I'd argue that you are the one spouting misdirected frustration here.

Jun 22, 2018
Voicing criticism and making suggestions is completely fine.

Doing so while insulting the developers or marginalizing the amount of hard work that went into a game, is not.

He's talking about the people in the second group and he's not wrong.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
"Acting professional" is overrated. It's always up to the person with all the pressure on them to "act professional". How about people act like decent human beings and not be aggressive over video games?

Yes, it's always up to the professional to "act professional." You've hit on the obvious here. And if you want people to act like decent human beings towards you, I suggest calling them ignorant little shits it's not the way to help that cause.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Backseat driving is real and shitty and I'm probably guilty of it, specifically with Halo. Anyone with a job should understand why criticism structured around your actual job performance is extremely irritating, especially when the person criticizing you has no idea how that job is done or what it even looks like. Basic empathy should solve this.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well I cant say im not guilty of doing that, like complaining about why Smash has terrible netcode. Like, I get that its probably way harder than it seems, especially for a team like the Smash team where online has never really been a priority, but does that mean I should stop complaining? Or when a feature is so below the industry standard is complaining justified?

Or maybe im just misreading the conversation entirely and its more about stupid misc stuff like missing guns or saying shit like "why doesnt halo have boats", and not actual flaws like bad netcode

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's always up to the professional to "act professional." You've hit on the obvious here. And if you want people to act like decent human beings towards you, I suggest calling them ignorant little shits it's not the way to help that cause.
Do you think that they were acting like ignorant little shits before he called them ignorant little shits, perhaps

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what he's saying but given his position this isn't the best outlet. Immediately, I'm thinking something is wrong at the studio other than anything else. Wrongly or rightly of course.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
People who aren't devs don't understand anything about development and should just shut up instead of trying to talk back to an expert in that field.
Being a game dev seems like the most thankless task ever. And it has to be incredibly frustrating when devs are obviously doing the best they can and people constantly complain about a thing that they have no idea about.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Well I cant say im not guilty of doing that, like complaining about why Smash has terrible netcode. Like, I get that its probably way harder than it seems, especially for a team like the Smash team where online has never really been a priority, but does that mean I should stop complaining? Or when a feature is so below the industry standard is complaining justified?

Or maybe im just misreading the conversation entirely and its more about stupid misc stuff like missing guns or saying shit like "why doesnt halo have boats", and not actual flaws like bad netcode
He's not saying you can't criticize video games or certain aspects of games. You can say that netcode in Smash is bad. You probably shouldn't say, "I don't get why Smash devs don't X, Y, or Z about netcode."

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I see nothing wrong the statements.

Dev time is real, and is WILDLY different than a modder working in their free time. Waterfall or Agile, it doesn't matter the development.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Do you think that they were acting like ignorant little shits before he called them ignorant little shits, perhaps

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. But calling them such isn't going to win you any favor, besides a few "cool internet guy" points. Which by the way, is probably all you're looking for at that point, because that's the only thing you can gain from those fourth grade actions.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, sometimes player complain about bullshit and are ignorant....

but sometimes it's legit criticism and tons of modder do the <thing> in like a day

he's not wrong, but it doesn't mean it will stop when it's warranted

Still not a legit criticism. Modders don't have a laundry list of other tasks they need to complete in a day, a budget they have to adhere to, or a deadline they have to meet for launch. Not even remotely close to warranted. Ever.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From reading the replies, I feel like people internalize this very strongly and think the dev is talking to YOU and its making you deaf to the actual point which is having to hear from hundreds to thousands of people telling him/her how to do their job in very non polite terms.

All it would take for 99% of gamers "constructive feedback" to go away is to spend ONE day in a game studio and see what its actually like. Alas, thats not a thing that can happen. People who think you just need to be more transparent are showing a lot of naïveté there

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
true true, but a player being very ignorant with things like "Why didn't they add that character? They had the other, it looks easy enough" is a different form of ignorance than a developer going "Can you please tell me in my own work language how to do my job!?"
Ignorance? People aren't obligated to waste time educating every asshat throwing vitriol their way.

Maybe if people worded themselves with more respect they'd get better answers, eh? "It looks easy enough" is another way of saying "I have no idea what I am talking about". Cut it out of your commentary. If you don't understand how a thing works or is made, try asking the questions that allow you to instead of throwing out words that sound like they'll get you what you want.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yes a lot of times it's unwarranted, but equally there are cases where major issues go unaddressed for years along with questionable design choices that did make their way to the game.

A live game needs to constantly bridge the gap between what developers want/can do with their game and what player base want and would like to play, one is not necessarily more important than the other. Because if you go fuck players and do whatever you want, you'll lose the player base, but if you do everything that players ask then you lose focus of your project and also put an unnecessary amount of load on the employees. And sometimes studios just have an inefficient development pipeline which becomes the real problem.

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gamers are irrational, overly emotional, capricious, entitled and clueless manchildren.

It is known.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
He's absolutely right and I don't get why is people in here getting defensive about this.

He's not talking about feedback (positive or negative), suggestion or valid complains. He is talking about abuse and ignorance.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. But calling them such isn't going to win you any favor, besides a few "cool internet guy" points. Which by the way, is probably all you're looking for at that point, because that's the only thing you can gain from those fourth grade actions.
It was more of a rhetorical question. You can look to any thread on any gaming website and see people acting like ignorant little shits.

The biggest contention I have with your posts is that they're... well, ignorant. Like, imagine telling a retail worker not to complain about the people who give them the most grief because not all customers are like that.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It was more of a rhetorical question. You can look to any thread on any gaming website and see people acting like ignorant little shits.

The biggest contention I have with your posts is that they're... well, ignorant. Like, imagine telling a retail worker not to complain about the people who give them the most grief because not all customers are like that.

I'm not telling anyone not to complain about anything. The way you complain determines whether what you are doing is productive or not. Calling people ignorant little shits (regardless of how you think they are acting) is not a productive way of doing anything. Why? Because any point you may have had is now falling on death ears. You can not fight ignorance with ignorance.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From reading the replies, I feel like people internalize this very strongly and think the dev is talking to YOU and its making you deaf to the actual point which is having to hear from hundreds to thousands of people telling him/her how to do their job in very non polite terms.

All it would take for 99% of gamers "constructive feedback" to go away is to spend ONE day in a game studio and see what its actually like. Alas, thats not a thing that can happen. People who think you just need to be more transparent are showing a lot of naïveté there
Absolutely. Even then, one day at Game Studio A is completely different than at Game Studio B. I completely understand devs who don't want to engage at all with customers because, unless they're involved with community management, it's not part of their job to educate anyone. But at the same time, if they as much as mention they work somewhere, there will be dozens/hundreds/thousands of people directing their anger at them.

Being online and open about what you do is not an invitation to discuss about said work.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Well, sometimes player complain about bullshit and are ignorant....

but sometimes it's legit criticism and tons of modder do the <thing> in like a day

he's not wrong, but it doesn't mean it will stop when it's warranted

A modder has no accountability to anything, no that doesn't really apply. This reminds me of the Angry Joe/Major Neslon "Flip a switch" thing with the Xbox One changes. It was a total platform rethink, and still to this day people say it was a simple flip of a switch/line of code. Ignorance is high. Modern games/platforms are complex.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
sounds like dude had a bad day at work that day
Have you seen twitter? That is not hard to do.

On the topic. I get were he is coming from and he is right, there isn't anything to be had with the empty statement of "This sucks. Why didn't d*** a*** dev do <x> thing?"
I get being open to critisim, but the way that the gaming community tends to voice it's discontent with mob mentality is counter productive. It will tend to produce less results than it garners.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah I was being crudely reductive but it's not over my head. If he were actually targeting the right people here, those who are abusive to devs specifically, I'd empathize entirely.

The comments are needlessly abrasive and boil all criticism that doesn't come with ridiculous criteria as being made by "ignorant shits".

Yup. Call me whatever you want, I have no history of ever calling devs lazy or anything silly like that. But these comments are unprofessional and like you said, needlessly abrasive. They have no chance or improving any dialogue and serve only to allow "good fans" to feel good dog-piling on strawmen.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Why don't the Halo developers come round my house for a few beers and a couple of rounds of Smash Bros, huh? Why don't they come eat the pizza I'd buy for them to show my appreciation for all their hard work? Why won't they do what I say? Lazy devs won't even drink my beer! Or a non-alcoholic alternative!

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that devs aren't and should never be shielded from criticism. Obviously any criticisms should be directed in a constructive manner, but as a consumer who spends my hard earned cash on your product, I have every right to criticize something I pay for whether I'm an expert in game dev or not.