• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Honestly, I played through Halo 2 anniversary last week and the graphics during gameplay had more of a wow factor to me than Infinite, something just feels very flat about the visual quality of Infinite overall, I imagine it's going to be pretty difficult to fix at this point in development but them even trying is appreciated.

I am more concerned about the open world nature of the game than the graphics though.

Dec 13, 2017
I legitimately feel bad for 343. MS probably has them under tons of pressure to get this game out for the XBOXSEX launch, and clearly there's a lot of work to be done, but that deadline is set in stone. I'm guessing this is the lynch pin for the generation launch marketing and the big draw for GamePass. If this must be delayed then I wonder if they'll get cold feet on their launch date or pull some update roadmap shit and spin it positive.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I mean, it's great that they addressed it, but between the things they say here and the fact that they've already announced the game is launching without ray-tracing and it's being viewed as a platform, it's hard not to feel like this game is launching into early access. It really feels like it's not really going to be ready, but is being forced out so Xbox has a launch game.

To be fair, several unfinished games (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2) have already been plonked onto Game Pass without a care about the state they were in, or the shallow amount of content available.

And Halo: Infinite looks set to join those games.

The fact that that build was 'several weeks' old is not particularly encouraging either, although I wish them all the best of luck from here henceforth.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much the perfect response from 343. I'm minimally bitter about the classic shotgun not being in the game but I was impressed with the replacement in the gameplay demo and if we're being nitpicky the actual "classic" shotgun hasn't been in any Halo game since the original so it would be weird to shit on them. I liked the range and firing rate on the new shotgun and the hit reactions as well, that thing is punchy as hell. I guess the role of the classic pistol will once again be transferred to the BR and I can see why having two functionally identical weapons in the sandbox is not an option for them. Their new heavy auto rifle comes pretty close to a gun that I suggested in the Halo Infinite Speculation Thread, so of course I'm happy with that:

Crazy weapon idea: Slow firing heavy automatic rifle. Somewhere between Halo CE Assault Rifle and Reach DMR. Clip size 13-18 shots. No scope. Last round in the clip is a tracer round that does 25% more damage than a regular round. Drops shields in four to five body shots with regular rounds. Unsure wether I would want headshot capabilities on this thing, depends on other factors currently learning towards "fuck no".

Before anyone asks, I know tracer rounds don't work like that.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but PvE modes (Firefight, Campaign, etc) in Halo in 2020 should have sprint, ADS, clamber, abilities, etc otherwise it's going to feel a bit archaic and I love the original trilogy and probably like Halo 4 more than others do campaign wise but those games feel, well, archaic/limited in 2020 in terms of gameplay.

Do whatever they want for PvP to appease the so-called community but don't ruin/limit the PvE side because of it.
ADS is a terrible mechanic which only serves to slow games down.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Of course what that person said was hyperbole, it's the LOD and lifeless environments which are reallly detracting form the positives. I mean the games plays really nice the combat flows great, I thought the animation was done well, the Brute stumbling after taking a bullet to the leg was superb. Look it needs a lot of work yet but I'm sure it will improve considerably by release.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest issue with this game is that they tried selling it as some kind of Next Gen game. The game is fine for what it is.
Remember when the first footage was shown last december (I think)? MS tried selling it off as: Actual next gen footage!

They should have said it is an Xbox One game that will get a port to XSX. Kind of like Destiny, Dirt etc.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
We didn't have the AR in Halo 2 nor the BR in ODST or Reach

I think we can survive not having the "classic" and "iconic" magnum and shotgun at launch at the very least
But why are they not in a launch? Bungie got a load of shit for ommiting those weapons in the games you mentioned, it just boggles my mind that 343 would do the same especially given that the magnum was one of the things they got right in Halo 4/5. I get why they'd add new weapons in because variation is good and having another sidearm that has a faster firerate but does less damage makes sense but to have variation you need the other ones in there too.

Even if they patch them in post launch I doubt they're going to go back and add them into the single player campaign (none of the Halo 5 weapons they added made it back into the campaign) so we'll probably end up only using them in multiplayer.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
User banned (1 week): trolling and platform warring

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Ms have both
Money and time
This is such a ridiculous statement. You have to plan to do either a CG trailer or gameplay demonstration. MS can't last minute pull back on the gameplay demo because it looks a bit rough and insert a CG trailer. They would have had to plan a CG trailer months and months in advance with a third party animation studio.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good post but I fear for Halo if this is what they chose to show for the first real gameplay reveal. How much can they actually improve in a few months?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
To be fair, several unfinished games (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2) have already been plonked onto Game Pass without a care about the state they were in, or the shallow amount of content available.

The only thing that's confirmed not to be in by launch is Ray tracing, and that's coming in a later patch. And just for that, you're claiming it will be 'unfinished' and 'shallow on content'?

although I wish them all the best of luck from here henceforth.

Might want to stop misrepresenting their game if you're sincere about this.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that that build was 'several weeks' old is not particularly encouraging either, although I wish them all the best of luck from here henceforth.

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is out today on Gamepass

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I wasn't joking, you can compare screenshots

Might as well go full hog and compare it to Goldeneye N64, eh?

I think the biggest issue with this game is that they tried selling it as some kind of Next Gen game. The game is fine for what it is.
Remember when the first footage was shown last december (I think)? MS tried selling it off as: Actual next gen footage!
They should have said it is an Xbox One game that will get a port to XSX. Kind of like Destiny, Dirt etc.

Good luck running at high res and 60fps with ray tracing on Xbox One

It's a good post but I fear for Halo if this is what they chose to show for the first real gameplay reveal. How much can they actually improve in a few months?

Why? Nothing about the gameplay looked bad or 'not fun'. Visuals are much more easily resolved than gameplay concerns.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Really, resistance 3? KZ2? 720p games? Cmon

Might as well go full hog and compare it to Goldeneye N64, eh?

Why? Nothing about the gameplay looked bad or 'not fun'. Visuals are much more easily resolved than gameplay concerns.
Please compare screenshots, that's all I can say. Only resolution doesn't define how the game looks

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Please compare screenshots, that's all I can say

Why should anyone do the work for you? You've made the claim. Where are your supporting screenshots?

It's like popping up in the TLOU 2 thread to say Syphon Filter on PS1 looks better, then challenging everyone who (rightly) questions that claim to 'provide screenshots'.

Oct 27, 2017
Well a next gen version of the game will need to have that or else it wouldn't be next gen port.

My point is that instead of insisting this is a next gen game without having the next gen look, they could have called it an Xbox One game then showed the improvment for the Xbox Series X when they are ready.

What we saw didn't look much different from current gen games. And sure you can say 60 fps but casual people don't care about that if I wanna be frank.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Might want to stop misrepresenting their game if you're sincere about this.

Oh do bugger off.

I was a narrow-minded Xbox fanboy for sixteen years, and Halo used to be my favourite franchise.

And yes, given what we have seen and the comments from the developers themselves, Halo: infinite is going to be rushed to launch, hence the 'unfinished' comment. Whether you choose to agree with this or not is entirely up to you — we've already seen at least three first party games from Microsoft being rushed to launch in the past couple of years so, it wouldn't be anything new.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I really hope they improve the look over time. There's no excuse for pop in on the Series X for instance. Game looks fun and has that classic Halo feel, I really hope to play it someday, just glad I wasn't intending to be a day one Series X buyer because it would be disappointing knowing the game was a work in progress.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well a next gen version of the game will need to have that or else it wouldn't be next gen port.

My point is that instead of insisting this is a next gen game without having the next gen look, they could have called it an Xbox One game then showed the improvment for the Xbox Series X when they are ready.

What we saw didn't look much different from current gen games. And sure you can say 60 fps but casual people don't care about that if I wanna be frank.

Why would they call a WIP Series X build an Xbox One version? Especially in a next gen showcase?

No, they could not have called it that.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they call a WIP Series X build an Xbox One version? Especially in a next gen showcase?

No, they could not have called it that.
For the same reason Yakuza 7 is a current gen game and yet will get a next gen version.

I am just saying that they had two choices, make a game that looks mindblowing and next gen or call the game a current gen game that will be ported to XSX.

You mentioned ray tracing and I believe that would make the game look more "next gen" but they didn't show it because it is not done and the footage we got doesn't look impressive to most people.

If they comunicated it better it wouldn't have been received this badly.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that's confirmed not to be in by launch is Ray tracing, and that's coming in a later patch. And just for that, you're claiming it will be 'unfinished' and 'shallow on content'?
after reading his comment about rushed games , I actually thought 343i had confirmed some major features or game modes being dropped for launch.. that was until i realized he was just making assumptions.

we've already seen at least three first party games from Microsoft being rushed to launch in the past couple of years so, it wouldn't be anything new.
so 3 first party games "which you claim" were rushed to launch is your basis for this assumption? what about the other multiple "polished" XGS games also released within same period? should we base your argument on just those 3? also until Halo Infinite is released you have no proof or reason to believe it will be rushed to launch.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I am disappointed about the visuals, but I am glad they addressed the issue once again.

Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't, games that are 60fps on consoles (Call of Duty, FIFA etc.) would be 30fps instead.
Well, can you go to someone who isn't that hardcore as us and ask them what FPS is?
I am pretty sure you will either get answers telling you games like COD or asking you what fps is.

That's how it is for people around me atleast.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good to see they're addressing the concerns but seems very late in the day, which only means more crunch for the devs.

I do think the weirdest part of the whole thing was the point where he said in the video that raytracing would come later as a patch, that seems wild.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Oh do bugger off.

I was a narrow-minded Xbox fanboy for sixteen years, and Halo used to be my favourite franchise.

This is immaterial, really. I've responded to your post in this thread.

And yes, given what we have seen and the comments from the developers themselves, Halo: infinite is going to be rushed to launch, hence the 'unfinished' comment.

Rushed or Crunched to launch doesn't mean you aren't getting a 'finished' product that's worth $60. You've been told by 343 that you're getting an expansive, full Campaign with a robust MP suite and significantly improved Forge at launch. Them adding a post-launch ray-tracing patch doesn't make the game 'unfinished' in the context you're using it.

Whether you choose to agree with this or not is entirely up to you — we've already seen at least three first party games from Microsoft being rushed to launch in the past couple of years so, it wouldn't be anything new.

And we've seen first party games like FH4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Ori and the Will of the Wisps that launched without issue in the past few years. All their AAA games in the past few years have come in as expected. So...

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Well, can you go to someone who isn't that hardcore as us and ask them what FPS is?
I am pretty sure you will either get answers telling you games like COD or asking you what fps is.

Casual fans might not be savvy about framerates, but if you lock the PC version of Call of Duty down to 30fps and hand them a controller to play it, they'll tell you it doesn't feel as good as it should. Responsiveness and smoothness is a huge part of any game's feel and people can tell it apart.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Thats a pretty cool response and acknowledgement and I hope somewhere it is possible to get this game a delay and not just crunch ppl into dust for 4 months, or release this thing hot into a FFXIV 1.0 situation

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020

They dont have to know what it is to experience it. You can go to someone who isnt hardcore and ask all kinds of question like what is a gpu, cpu, ram etc and they dont know. Doesnt mean that those things arent important to them, even if they dont know what you're talking about.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone keeps saying there's 4 months left to polish the game up, but there isn't really. Big games these days (especially with the pandemic going on) sometimes go gold a month or more ahead of release, so even being generous 343i probably have a little over 3 months left to work on the game prior to launch, if that.

I suspect a lot of visual and performance improvements will come after launch by way of patches etc.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
If they are hearing more positive than negative regarding the visuals, they need to get out of whatever bubble they are living in. Those visuals are unequivocally rough. The art for the brutes also bears little resemblance to their "classic" roots.

Yeah, that was typical PR/343 speak. They even added that dreadful video of 'You are not a TRUE Halo fan if you didn't react like THIS' while a bunch of the people in that vid have since then been a lot more mellowed out on the entire thing (HiddenXperia for one).

I mean I have been a massive Halo fan since 20 years or so now? I definitely didn't explode with hype during the entire ordeal.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is immaterial, really. I've responded to your post in this thread.

Rushed or Crunched to launch doesn't mean you aren't getting a 'finished' product that's worth $60. You've been told by 343 that you're getting an expansive, full Campaign with a robust MP suite and significantly improved Forge at launch. Them adding a post-launch ray-tracing patch doesn't make the game 'unfinished' in the context you're using it.

And we've seen first party games like FH4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Ori and the Will of the Wisps that launched without issue in the past few years. All their AAA games in the past few years have come in as expected. So...

Ori had tons of issues at launch. I think it's still not perfect to this day.