• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

One of the reasons why Halo co-creator Marcus Lehto left Bungie was because of the extended periods of crunch that negatively impacted his life. Speaking during a roundtable interview for his new game, Disintegration, Lehto said his new studio, V1 Interactive, is taking a stance against crunch and trying to do right by its employees for their health and happiness.

"One of the reasons I left Bungie--and I know one of the reasons people from the industry have joined us here at V1--is that many of us have seen the bad side of extended crunch periods that would go on for months and months ... and what kind of human toll that took," Lehto explained. "We don't want to experience that, we don't want to replicate that at all again [at V1]. So at V1, one of our primary goals with the studio is making sure that we create an atmosphere where everybody is intimately involved with what we're working on, so there is a lot of responsibility on everybody's shoulders. And everybody wears several hats."

"We also value, incredibly, the health of everybody here--both physically and mentally. Making sure they have that time outside the office to be with their family," Lehto added. "And we support them to be home when they need to be home, to go to their kids' school concerts and to have the weekends to themselves. That is a very important part to me, and it's one thing we've extended to everyone here at the studio."

"It's not like we don't work hard--we work really hard. And at the end of every milestone, we maybe spend a week or so working extra hours."

"The Halo 2 crunch almost killed Bungie as a company," he said. "It is the most I've ever seen humans work in a year and a half. It was brutal."

"Bungie is said to have adopted policies and practices after that to lessen the instances of crunch, but it still happened. For the first Destiny, there was a "department-wide crunch" for the engineering team, Timmins said, though the team never had to crunch on any of the game's numerous expansions. Destiny 2 also had no "full, enforced crunch,"

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have mentioned this before, but the making of halo 2 documentary is really something else - its an actual documentary. You can see when they realize they have to scrap most of the work they have done.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah Bungie has always had bad crunch and I can't even imagine how much that would blow. Glad he's working to end that practice in his studio.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I can not imagine how brutal the Halo 2 crunch must have been. The version we got was built in months from what I understand

I watched a bunch of interviews with Ed Fries and in one of them he mentioned how he had to defend Bungie from the rest of Microsoft.

Exec: We've spoken to the marketing team and they think it'll be ready for February [2004].
Fries: And I work with Bungie every day and this game is at least a year away from being ready.

He managed to buy them time until November 2004 at least, but he and everyone at Bungie knew that wasn't enough.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Am I remembering right that there was a making of documentary for Halo 2, and 'fans' actually tried to shit on Bungie Studios for having a fun day of volleyball because they disliked Halo 2's direction?

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
And Halo 2 is by far the least polished and most broken of all the Halo games because of having to cobble it together in just over a year. It's honestly kind of miraculous that it ran at all. That being said, it is also one of the most fun games in the franchise. However, I would argue it would have been even better if the team were given another year to properly pace themselves and maybe even finish the ending they had planned originally instead of the cliffhanger we got.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's okay just blame Jason Jones. He's already fucked up Destiny's entire franchise once, done it to Halo as well.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
That 'Making of Halo 2' documentary that was included in the steel book version really opened my eyes up to the hardships in game development. It also made me weep seeing all that cutting room floor stuff :((((

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's okay just blame Jason Jones. He's already fucked up Destiny's entire franchise once, done it to Halo as well.

As someone who's followed Bungie since Marathon, there's no pinning the organizational and scheduling problems at the studio over the years on just one person. There have been a good number of people with unhealthy egos in the upper echelons of the company, lol.

That being said, the vast majority of the people who've worked at Bungie (and 343 for that matter) over the years are insanely talented, kind, and passionate people who've produced some of the best games of all time.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like peer pressure crunch

Which is awful... the type of crunch nobody has to take responsibility for because it's 'organic from the team'. Ugh.

Of course I don't know if that's what's being referred to there, but that kind of peer-pressure to overwork due to a cohort of workaholics on the team is so toxic because it's so easy for management to coast along with it and turn a blind eye.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
As someone who's followed Bungie since Marathon, there's no pinning the organizational and scheduling problems at the studio over the years on just one person. There have been a good number of people with unhealthy egos in the upper echelons of the company, lol.

That being said, the vast majority of the people who've worked at Bungie (and 343 for that matter) over the years are insanely talented, kind, and passionate people who've produced some of the best games of all time.
Oh I'm sure but Jason Jones is the head of developement on Destiny. His sole decision caused them to delay the game 2 times (a delay of a year and couple of months.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
What's sad is that "crunch" was a thing going back even further.

Tom Hall
"In the early days of id, we were like the limbs of one big creature, working brilliantly in parallel. But I now felt isolated [during the development of Doom]. We worked 14 to 16 hours a day, seven days a week, with little outside contact," Hall recalled in new Guardian feature. "Taking a weekend off was looked on with disdain. Playing fighting games, often on the [rare Japanese console] Neo-Geo, was one of our few releases."

The more things change, the more they stay the same?

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I feel like I've heard stories about Halo 2 crunch for years. That game also had a crazy development hiccup where Microsoft wanted the game out for holiday 2003 but Ed Fries championed for them and got them an extra year.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Legit everything I've heard above Activision-Bungie has been awful. I feel bad for everyone who suffered through that transition.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

It's also silly since I guarantee you probably 98% of games made, has a crunch period. Hell, I work in mobile dev and crunch still happens. Crunch is not the failing of any single man or company's management, it's an industry-wide issue.