• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how easy it is to kill yourself with vehicles in Halo 1. I love it.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Was just coming in here to post this.. I actually can't believe these are what shipped. They are a fundamental misunderstanding of the art in the original game. I love having this game in widescreen 4k high framerate - and the original visuals look absolutely gorgeous - but I can't imagine ever wanting to play through it with the anniversary graphics.

Probably the worst remake visuals I've ever seen.
Yeah Saber artists are quite mediocre. Just compare their MC design with the original Bungie ones or even fan redesigns and it's terrible
HALO CEA
HALO CE
Reach Concept art

Fan redesign

Damn even ported models from Reach look bad like Cpt. Keyes
jacob-keyes-generacion-xbox.jpg
CEA_Keyes1.png

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to play Halo 3 with a FoV higher than like 2 and with centered crosshairs.

I play on a monitor and just 🤢 I can't do it

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Lack of split-screen on so. many PC games is so shit, man. I maybe understand it 10 years ago when controllers were slightly less ubiquitous but in 2020? Come on. Especially on a platform where I could play 4 player split-screen at 60fps. Did 343 ever give an actual reason for missing split-screen on PC?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Lack of split-screen on so. many PC games is so shit, man. I maybe understand it 10 years ago when controllers were slightly less ubiquitous but in 2020? Come on. Especially on a platform where I could play 4 player split-screen at 60fps. Did 343 ever give an actual reason for missing split-screen on PC?
Wasn't the MCC supposed to release in early access originally on PC?

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020

Yeah it's really getting annoying, pc ports are mostly better than the console versions but always miss splitscreen multiplayer. I have my pc hooked up to my TV in the living room, and use it mostly as a gaming multimedia center. The lack of splitscreen games really sucks on pc

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... Splitscreen on PC was one of my main hopes for this. It's still on the schedule though, right?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Having used the Tab to see differences in the art style I have to agree, even if I enjoy the new style they killed the mood of some areas. Places that were completely dark are too bright right now

Deleted member 7373

It sucks there is no split screen but on the bright side the game has low system requirements and has a true lan mode, so it isn't crazy to get 2 machines running it. But yeah I really hope they add split screen.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just finished - had a good time. Was pretty smooth, had one level though where the sound was messed up. It was like I was playing underwater or something. Aside from that no problems.

Library still sucks, but I just powered through that.
I forgot how basic the vehicles are - no horn, hand break, boost, slow entry.
Mag is OP as hell, especially in multiplayer.

Would love to finish 2, 3, 4 before Infinite comes out but can't see them releasing them all by the end of the year. Fingers crossed we get Halo 2 by the summer.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just completed the campaign. Was a classic then and still a classic now. :) Can't wait until i get to re live my childhood with Halo 2 my first Live game.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Man that sucks so much.

Stinkles can we get an update on this at all?

A lot of microsoft games seem to be skipping this on PC and it's kind of concerning, like with FM7. I know the PC ports of MCC are all a lot of work, but stil.

FM7 supports HDR on PC. All of their recent games have, too. Gears 5, Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon 4 all do. That's what makes them not supporting it with the MCC even stranger IMO.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody getting this bug where there's like slight and inappropriate motion blur during cutscenes? OG visual

Apologies if it's well documented, I might have missed it

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
FM7 supports HDR on PC. All of their recent games have, too. Gears 5, Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon 4 all do. That's what makes them not supporting it with the MCC even stranger IMO.
yeah, last first party game that didnt support HDR from MS is FH3, it got patched for Xbox later and wasnt launched with it. Guess MCC is the same, patched in to Xbox version later.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

aw crap I misread the thread as a reply to the question about split screen.

It is strange to not support HDR for MCC though yeah. Really unfortunately. Hate when there's not like a definitive edition of a game.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
... what a time to be alive to replay the original masterpiece... :)

Especially when I could try to re-recreate some of the old glitches from the original release. Ms Man, Ducain and all of the rest greatest glitchers/tricksters of that era... :')

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The gameplay in CEA has not aged well. :) Getting rather frustrated at some parts. Enjoyed Reach more.

Have only played up to Halo 2, I wonder if the newer games change how the gameplay feels. Halo feels like it is trying to be old school DOOM of sorts, but instead of demons, you're killing alien children (yea, based on Halo 1 2 and Reach, I consider most of the mobs to be children since they run like munchkin kids). :D

Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay in CEA has not aged well. :) Getting rather frustrated at some parts. Enjoyed Reach more.

Have only played up to Halo 2, I wonder if the newer games change how the gameplay feels. Halo feels like it is trying to be old school DOOM of sorts, but instead of demons, you're killing alien children (yea, based on Halo 1 2 and Reach, I consider most of the mobs to be children since they run like munchkin kids). :D
I will say, I had a hard time transitioning back to Halo 3 after playing H5 for so long. Halo 3 initially felt like I was moving with concrete shoes on the moon with a 75 FOV. It felt so slow and floaty compared to the movement in H5.

Halo really is a series where nearly every iteration has a different feel wholly separate from its predecessor. I'd say that H4 and H5 are the only ones that have a resemblance to one another in movement.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sleeping munchkins, so many to bash.

I feel it going back but you get used to it. Halo 3 is pretty awful but once you get in the groove, it's kinda what it is and you adapt, enjoy the sandbox. They are very much treacle after playing modern games after a break.

Will be intersting to see what people think of Halo 2 after all these years, I loved the multiplayer with some negative aspects but the campaign was always a bit of a let down bar a few open encounters were everything is going on.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any difference with Original and Enhanced video options if you're playing the game with OG graphics?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really true that you're unable to select the region you want to matchmaker with?

The original PC release was better than this...

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is giving me such a nostalgia rush. When I was 13 and got my first gaming PC one of the games I played over and over again was the <terrible> PC port of Halo: CE. Playing that game online was endlessly entertaining, even with the atrocious 55 degree FOV that you couldn't change.

Now I just need remasters of UT2004 and Call of Duty 1 and I'll be fully reliving my early teen gaming years.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, at least this plays MUCH better than Reach. It actually plays really nicely with GSync and a high refresh monitor.

The lack of animation interpolation can be really jarring though. The start of The Silent Cartographer is a great example. The game is running at 100+ fps, but the flying animations are all still 30 fps which feels incredibly jarring.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Question from someone who only played reach back in the day. Does any mainline halo entry have adsing? Maybe I'm just not used to it but im having a super hard time playing through reach again now that I've played Destiny for 5 years.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
If they really want some momentum we'll get Halo 3 on PC and shortly there after Halo Infinite flights.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
After playing a bit this definitely feels a lot more dated than Reach. I played H1 back in the day, but playing Reach recently was more how I remembered Halo 1 being.

The new graphics are OK, the art direction of the old style is probably a bit better, but IMO overall the new look is still an improvement.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Question from someone who only played reach back in the day. Does any mainline halo entry have adsing? Maybe I'm just not used to it but im having a super hard time playing through reach again now that I've played Destiny for 5 years.
ADS as in aim down sights?

If so, no.

Hipfire is a core aspect of the gameplay. The closest you'll get is Halo 5 where they just added zoom to all the weapons and changed up the visuals somewhat.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Eh, I had forgotten how Halo CE was. The munchkin kids were enough, but the damn Flood levels... Glad we are not the early 2000s in game design anymore.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I had forgotten how Halo CE was. The munchkin kids were enough, but the damn Flood levels... Glad we are not the early 2000s in game design anymore.

Yeah. Library gets a lot of shit. But I forgot how much copy + paste level design happens everywhere else in the game. So many levels drag on with repeating corridors

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah. Library gets a lot of shit. But I forgot how much copy + paste level design happens everywhere else in the game. So many levels drag on with repeating corridors

Yea, I guess back in the days when I was much younger I didn't really notice that. I've been going the last two hours, how is this still the same place I've been playing through?! :D

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I did co-op with a friend of mine over xbox live and it was a solid experience but my main issue is all the loading zones especially in the first level. Though he really likes the CE:A graphics compared to the original. He in hasn't played the original in a very long time and asked me where the sprint button, I told him the Master Chief just moves fast without that.