• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I accidentally press tab

tenor.gif

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well, hopefully I get to check out the Halo remaster tonight.

Tried installing from Game Pass last night, and I've no idea if it did or not. Usually you hit install and a game starts installing, with a percentage shown as to how far along you are.

I got nothing with Halo. Hit install with MCCC and it just sits there. Is it installing? Who knows? Hit install on Halo CE and it just gives an error. I figure MCCC needs to be installed first, but that may or may not be doing what it's supposed to.

Between this and the crashes/lock ups I've been experiencing on Game Pass, I don't see myself continuing after my time runs out.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Well, let's just hope that 343 fixes it someday, or some modders can make it happen with the MCC version.

Is the DF crew going to be doing a video on this port?
I will be. Just really covering the PC version and I do not imagine it will be 100% very positive based upon everything I know about it.

The video will be probably shorter than the reach one since all the problems with this version of Halo have been detailed so often in the past.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
to confirm, there's like no AA in the PC version of CE right? it looks really jaggy in both graphics modes at 1080p

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hopefully I get to check out the Halo remaster tonight.

Tried installing from Game Pass last night, and I've no idea if it did or not. Usually you hit install and a game starts installing, with a percentage shown as to how far along you are.

I got nothing with Halo. Hit install with MCCC and it just sits there. Is it installing? Who knows? Hit install on Halo CE and it just gives an error. I figure MCCC needs to be installed first, but that may or may not be doing what it's supposed to.

Between this and the crashes/lock ups I've been experiencing on Game Pass, I don't see myself continuing after my time runs out.
The Xbox app is just an alternate UI for Microsoft Store. Does anything Halo related show up in the download section on the Microsoft Store app?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Same! It's a long time that i am waiting the classic sounds for CEA in campaign so I was really confused by Postum post mentioning it was already supported in mcc x1. I went to check to be sure and it's as usual only the music unfortunately.

So i don't know what is happening there, will this feature come with the CEA season update on xbox one?
The MCC 343 team just have no clue what they're doing, this was finally their chance to have a decent port of Halo 1 and we still don't get it. Thankfully modders will be able to fix most of it but that doesn't help us players on Xbox.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I think I kind of hate the redone Anniversary graphics. It looks like one of these HD Texture mods that makes everything look tacky and cluttered, something about the ratio between surface detail and geometry is just off. Especially since a lot of that detail just seems extraneous, not purposefully designed. A surface? Just put ridges all over it! It also really just kind of flattens everything in a weird way, removing most of the lighting contrasts. Meh.

I'm playing this game for the first time right now (never really played a Halo before the MCC on PC) and I've even stopped swapping back and forth just to see. Original just looks so much more cohesive.

Other than that, I think I'm enjoying this more than Reach right now. God that pistol is just so good!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think I kind of hate the redone Anniversary graphics. It looks like one of these HD Texture mods that makes everything look tacky and cluttered, something about the ratio between surface detail and geometry is just off. Especially since a lot of that detail just seems extraneous, not purposefully designed. A surface? Just put ridges all over it! It also really just kind of flattens everything in a weird way, removing most of the lighting contrasts. Meh.

I'm playing this game for the first time right now (never really played a Halo before the MCC on PC) and I've even stopped swapping back and forth just to see. Original just looks so much more cohesive.

Other than that, I think I'm enjoying this more than Reach right now. God that pistol is just so good!

The "remastered" graphics of CEA were always pretty divisive for those reasons. Sorta like they spruced up the textures, but without giving full consideration to what the overall aesthetic would be.

Thankfully the Halo 2 remaster is awesome. Especially those redone cutscenes that they turned into full-on cinematics.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "remastered" graphics of CEA were always pretty divisive for those reasons. Sorta like they spruced up the textures, but without giving full consideration to what the overall aesthetic would be.

Thankfully the Halo 2 remaster is awesome. Especially those redone cutscenes that they turned into full-on cinematics.

It helps that OG Halo 2 campaign is ugly as sin, but I genuinely don't think I've played Halo 2 classic graphics for very long ever since H2A came out

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 is my favourite Halo game so I was enjoying some damn good big team battle last night. God damn I miss the vehicles from Halo 1 when I'm playing Reach.

I will say though, why the hell is Rat race in the 8v8 modes.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Halo 1 is my favourite Halo game so I was enjoying some damn good big team battle last night. God damn I miss the vehicles from Halo 1 when I'm playing Reach.

I will say though, why the hell is Rat race in the 8v8 modes.

Halo CE is obviously a classic, but it's also by far my least favourite Halo game to play today - especially multiplayer. Later games refined what CE did to a mirror shine.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Halo CE is obviously a classic, but it's also by far my least favourite Halo game to play today - especially multiplayer. Later games refined what CE did to a mirror shine.

I never got into any following Halo game nearly as much as Halo 1. I love that vehicles are indestructable, I love that the assault rifle and pistol are both good and I love the maps. The maps are so good from Halo 1 that they remade most of them for Reach, but in some cases made them worse.

Sidewinder and Blood Gulch are godlike. No Blood Gulch a like map after felt the same to play.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I forgot how awful The Library is. It's the same thing over and over again. I like to think we've come a long way in terms of game design.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the Halo PC 8v8 CTF maps are a real slog to play on, I played for a few hours last night and none of the games on infinity or Gephyrophobia had more than a single flag capture.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I forgot how awful The Library is. It's the same thing over and over again. I like to think we've come a long way in terms of game design.
Well it was a launch game so I always believed they just tried to make the game artificially longer with seemingly big but same looking level design and back tracking. The game was still amazing when it came out. I still like to play it but it's my least favorite Halo from a gameplay perspective.

The anniversary graphics make the game look less repetitive when it comes to level design but I don't really like how it looks.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
im surprisingly enjoying the fights
and the remastered visuals are nice

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
41fps
LaJzLaf.jpg

141fps
2n6aZDW.jpg

some y'all out here really trying to defend this shit with some nonsense.
This forum is getting really bad about piling on anyone who dares not love every single thing about their favorite popular franchise (Halo, FFVII, Souls etc) even if they are having technical issues or other valid complaints.

You want programmers, artists, and other personnel to stop working on the other games until this audio thing is fixed on Reach? That's insane.
Imagine if devs had to stop working every time one department had a problem, games would come out every 10 years.
I haven't seen anyone want them to stop development. People are upset that they are releasing a new game without fixing the previous one first. That the previous game even shipped in the state it did, and has still not been fixed yet.
Instead of a faithful remaster, they just went "eh, good enough" and put it out there - which is unfortunately the state of many "remastered" games this generation. I can think of very few remastered games which are on-par with, or better than the original games in every single way - or even previous ports that had known issues.

It upsets me that Capcom are releasing Resident Evil 3 soon without having fixed outstanding issues in Resident Evil 2 (such as the awful mouse controls). I'm not going to buy RE3 because of that, and have a right to complain about it.
I get it, these companies are running a business and they can't do ongoing tech support forever. But a lot of the time it feels like games are dropped in a broken state, maybe get a patch within the first month or so of release, and are then completely abandoned. They couldn't even put one person on long-term support for the project, or pay attention to the community and fix glaring issues?

I got hundreds of FPS in both modes with my 1080ti. Your setup is just fucked.
Where do people go to collect their free $700 GPU?

Is abload the worst image host on the planet or something?
They used to be good, but I think they might have started recompressing JPEGs now.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a lot shittier with the pistol than I used to be. I remember if it took more than 3 shots to kill somebody back in the day, then you felt like a failure. Last night, it was taking me like 6-7 shots on average to kill people. I guess maybe that aim assist on console was a lot more helpful than I always gave it credit for. Or maybe I just need to get back into the swing of things.

Also, is there a graphical bug with the shields, or am I remembering things incorrectly? I seem to remember that when you were shooting someone, their shield would eventually burst and that would be your queue that all your subsequent shots were taking down their hp. But when I was playing last night, the shield animations lasted all the way until the characters died. Even their dead bodies still had the shield animation going.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I never got into any following Halo game nearly as much as Halo 1. I love that vehicles are indestructable, I love that the assault rifle and pistol are both good and I love the maps. The maps are so good from Halo 1 that they remade most of them for Reach, but in some cases made them worse.

Sidewinder and Blood Gulch are godlike. No Blood Gulch a like map after felt the same to play.

I'm kind of confused you're enjoying BTB tbh, I want to like it but on Xbox nowadays it's just Pistol beats everything - like, really, if you get in a Warthog you're just a massive target for Pistol users. Incredibly easy to kill the driver and gunner. The Pistol can even beat the ghost in a lot of encounters by just aiming above the hood and beating its molasses fire-rate and turn speed. Assault Rifle has zero point because the Pistol kills people in three shots. Really makes me feel like Bungie actually had no idea the Pistol was so good when they released it, because I can't imagine making vehicles and the Assault Rifle useless in comparison was the intention. You're doing something wrong if people are swapping to their alternate weapon immediately on spawn.

I can only imagine the mode works if people don't know how overpowering the Pistol is.

Also, the spawns on Sidewinder are incredibly broken. I have no idea how it's playable at all, enemies constantly spawn in on each other.

Some of the Halo PC 8v8 CTF maps are a real slog to play on, I played for a few hours last night and none of the games on infinity or Gephyrophobia had more than a single flag capture.

Yeah, they seem cool at first but the painful parts of BTB I just outlined are made even worse on them because they're stupidly huge. Tons of time to just get over to the other side and then you die in a few Pistol shots. Most games I play I just end up going on constant suicide runs with vehicles, ignoring players along the way because any fight is just a distraction from the game ever going anywhere. You can hold the flag while driving a vehicle so there's no point to wait ages for teammates and just get you all picked off by Pistols, it's easier to drive over, sneak in on your own, and drive back.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, it is an issue, but not nearly as bad of one as he keeps trying to make it out to be. All hes doing is just coming across as extremely whiny without actually trying to convince people its more of an issue

Let's put it this way. I couldn't care less about multiplayer in Halo. Me coming along in 2014 and saying who cares that multiplayer is broken is the same as you saying the audio issues aren't that bad to those of us that expect top quality sounds in our games.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of confused you're enjoying BTB tbh, I want to like it but on Xbox nowadays it's just Pistol beats everything - like, really, if you get in a Warthog you're just a massive target for Pistol users. Incredibly easy to kill the driver and gunner. The Pistol can even beat the ghost in a lot of encounters by just aiming above the hood and beating its molasses fire-rate and turn speed. Assault Rifle has zero point because the Pistol kills people in three shots. Really makes me feel like Bungie actually had no idea the Pistol was so good when they released it, because I can't imagine making vehicles and the Assault Rifle useless in comparison was the intention. You're doing something wrong if people are swapping to their alternate weapon immediately on spawn.

I can only imagine the mode works if people don't know how overpowering the Pistol is.

Also, the spawns on Sidewinder are incredibly broken. I have no idea how it's playable at all, enemies constantly spawn in on each other.

Yeah, they seem cool at first but the painful parts of BTB I just outlined are made even worse on them because they're stupidly huge. Tons of time to just get over to the other side and then you die in a few Pistol shots. Most games I play I just end up going on constant suicide runs with vehicles, ignoring players along the way because any fight is just a distraction from the game ever going anywhere. You can hold the flag while driving a vehicle so there's no point to wait ages for teammates and just get you all picked off by Pistols, it's easier to drive over, sneak in on your own, and drive back.

I don't see the issue with the pistol. I find reach worse with the battle rifle, atleast it feels you can fight back against the pistol as even though its a 3 shot kill they have to hit you with 3 seperate bullets, the battle rifle feels like you instantly die in Reach. Hang Em High or whatever the map is in Reach is just unplayable because of it.

I enjoy BTB but only really for CTF as it can be so tense. Other thing is it takes forever but then there's always an alternate path through the middle which is super chokey which means you can get some nice kills there with AR.

Nov 8, 2017
Stoked and downloading.

I still have no idea what everyone is talking about regarding the Reach audio issue, and I played campaign the week of its release. Can anyone give an example of the problem?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
How is there no AA options natively in game? I thought this was supposed to be a proper PC port?

There are literally no individual graphics options in this or Reach. Just a generic toggle between "Performance," "Classic," and "Enhanced." And no indication of what the difference is between each.

Stoked and downloading.

I still have no idea what everyone is talking about regarding the Reach audio issue, and I played campaign the week of its release. Can anyone give an example of the problem?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
There are literally no individual graphics options in this or Reach. Just a generic toggle between "Performance," "Classic," and "Enhanced." And no indication of what the difference is between each.

How are people ok with this after 343 talking about how the ports would take full advantage of the PC platform?

Nov 8, 2017

Lol wtf is that? Luckily I didn't experience a single instance of this playing through. Does hardware or anything make a difference? I played with headphones the whole time.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Well it was a launch game so I always believed they just tried to make the game artificially longer with seemingly big but same looking level design and back tracking. The game was still amazing when it came out. I still like to play it but it's my least favorite Halo from a gameplay perspective.

The anniversary graphics make the game look less repetitive when it comes to level design but I don't really like how it looks.
I didn't think any levels before The Library were repetitive. They have a reasonable amount of backtracking. The Library and Two Betrayals are just ridiculous. Oh well glad those are over.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Played a bunch of CEA last night in Campaign and MP, had a great time with it. I was surprised that I didn't have many issues once I got the correct campaign downloaded. Lack of graphics options is weird, but the game seems to run fine in the middle setting.

One thing that is weird though is the audio page only has a toggle for "use classic sound effects in multiplayer", but not for campaign? Also, it seems like you can't swap graphics modes outside of the campaign mode, so if you want to play the whole game from the start with classic graphics, you need to skip the first cutscene->swap graphics->restart level. Both of those seem like they could have toggles in the options menu, but maybe there's a reason why they weren't included.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind too much that Saber took some liberties with the new models and textures, but the anniversary edition is so much brighter that it kills the mood in many places. Strange decision..

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Please help :'(
Whenever I try to change any setting in either Reach/CE, I get a notification saying some keys are unbound and therefore I cannot save any changed settings.
BOTH Reach/CE actions are bound. I tried restoring standard settings, same shit.
Wtf, apparently many people are experiencing these issues, for some certain actions were not bound to keys, for some it is similar to my situation.
Anyone here who figured out a solution?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
There is native anti-aliasing in CE btw, but it's only in the new visuals.

S7TxGdN.png

TCH28kS.png

Please help :'(
Whenever I try to change any setting in either Reach/CE, I get a notification saying some keys are unbound and therefore I cannot save any changed settings.
BOTH Reach/CE actions are bound. I tried restoring standard settings, same shit.
Wtf, apparently many people are experiencing these issues, for some certain actions were not bound to keys, for some it is similar to my situation.
Anyone here who figured out a solution?
Try binding the zoom out key for both Reach and CE. Noticed that seemed to be a new bind that showed up.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about the "seventh-gen aesthetic" that I dig with the remastered visuals, but it definitely isn't in line with Bungie's design

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone else have glitchy stuttering garbage performance on a high end PC? People say to shut off external programs like Synapse but I refuse to. When will they fix this shit.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Every single possible variation of an opinion under the sun, from huge disappointment to happiness. This is a Halo thread alright.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Every single possible variation of an opinion under the sun, from huge disappointment to happiness. This is a Halo thread alright.

I'm happy the games are on PC, and especially on Steam, but I'm disappointed they have lingering issues - some of which have been around for a long time - and the lack of things like separate graphical options after all the talk of it being a PC port "done right."

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
This game with the classic graphics at 144fps and a little reshade tweaking, so good. Reach still feels funky beyond 60 but CE is awesome.