• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Another before and after, i just notice how ugly CEA pistol looks, i need a mod to use CE..
halocebmjw1.jpg

haloceag2kn6.jpg

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused - can I buy this separately? I don't own the MCC and I don't really want to pay for everything up front.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
YO THIS GAME RUNS LIKE BUTT. Bloodgulch in multiplayer drops into the 40s on a GTX 950 and 5GHZ i7-2600K. Multiplayer doesn't even have the updated graphics? What gives?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The game is DirectX 9.0 game from 2001. 19 years old. The minimum requirements is a 733MHZ pentium 3. My CPU is fine. It runs reach fine, it runs Crysis (a know single thread performance hog) fine. Even DOOM 2016 runs better than Halo CEA

Those were the requirements for the original PC release. This isn't that game. This is a new port.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Those were the requirements for the original PC release. This isn't that game. This is a new port.

The multiplayer doesn't have the upgraded graphics. It's the same game from 2001. The campaign with updated graphics runs better than the multiplayer. No frame drops there, and again I run other more intensive games better than this.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that "devs" are some fungible resource and not groups of people with different skills, working in different teams, on different timeframes is one of the more common misconceptions gamers have.

That also looks sharpened? Have you got anything like Reshade, Geforce Freestyle filters etc running?
Nope, no reshade and I haven't enabled anything special in GeForce other than Gsync

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Seriously a game that looks like this shouldn't be running the way it is on my rig.
8lDSLF1.jpg

Especially when I can run something like this at 70fps +
Crysis-DX10-Feb-27-2008-17-28-02-2-29-2020-9-33-12-PM.png

Oct 25, 2017
The achievements seem funky on Steam. When I beat the mission Halo, I got the achievement for beating The Silent Cartographer.

I mean, yeah, I beat a few of these missions on Xbox One, but I never got that far, and I never got the Steam achievements for beating the first two missions.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Is the audio fucked up like it was on reach? Was it ever fixed on halo reach
We might need to make a post and threadmark it on every Halo MCC PC thread at this point.

The 343i team is bringing on an industry leading audio mixing company to rework the audio for the whole MCC. They don't have an ETA yet on it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so... Is it just me or does Halo CEA look a lot worse? Like yeah, I know, it's a 360 game, but when I tried it out on MCC on XBO I did not think it looked bad at all. Straight up incredibly low textures on the Autumn in the first cutscene and the text of the ship was floating well away from the ship itself. There was also some weird pop-in and clipping in the cutscene too.

It's set to OG Xbox graphics by default. You can change them in options.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
YO THIS GAME RUNS LIKE BUTT. Bloodgulch in multiplayer drops into the 40s on a GTX 950 and 5GHZ i7-2600K. Multiplayer doesn't even have the updated graphics? What gives?
I remember the game's anniversary mode running bad too on the One X (it would drop frames here and there). Has that ever been updated?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So, as someone who never played Halo before (except Reach as part of MCC in January. I didn't notice any audio issues, but I just played the campaign, with speakers, not headphones):

-anything I should know? I'm in this purely for the single-player, already own the entire MCC (6 campaigns for 50 CAD felt like a good deal)
-I understand there are several graphical options? Are there any other significant differences? Which one should I play?

Appreciate any answers, looking forward into finally learning the Halo story.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having trouble installing this on PC Gamepass? It keeps saying "error". I can install anything else, just this won't work.

EDIT: Error code 0x803FB107

Fixed this by going into the Microsoft Store app and finding MCC and hitting download there.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
wait, is CEA also available in the gamepass ver. of MCC? thought it was just Reach for now.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused - can I buy this separately? I don't own the MCC and I don't really want to pay for everything up front.

It is confusing since there is a message missing from the page. You should go hear and pick up just the Halo DLC and not need to buy the whole collection

The missing message should be same as the DLC Halo Reach. They are in-fact fine to purchase without the full MCC, so you can get just one game you want:
JdMzvDS.jpg

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
We might need to make a post and threadmark it on every Halo MCC PC thread at this point.

The 343i team is bringing on an industry leading audio mixing company to rework the audio for the whole MCC. They don't have an ETA yet on it though.
This is great news, I wasn't aware this was happening. Thanks for posting this. I played about 1/2 hour and stopped due to same muffled audio as Reach.

Thanks!

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I get 400+ FPS on CE BTB Multiplayer and 160 FPS on campaign with anniversary graphics and it's as smooth as can be. Although I have 1080 Ti i7 8700K

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It is confusing since there is a message missing from the page. You should go hear and pick up just the Halo DLC and not need to buy the whole collection

The missing message should be same as the DLC Halo Reach. They are in-fact fine to purchase without the full MCC, so you can get just one game you want:
JdMzvDS.jpg

Thanks! Just picked it up! I'm slow to finish games so picking it up piecemeal makes more sense to me.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to get this version if I already have the Gearbox version with mods?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, as someone who never played Halo before (except Reach as part of MCC in January. I didn't notice any audio issues, but I just played the campaign, with speakers, not headphones):

-anything I should know? I'm in this purely for the single-player, already own the entire MCC (6 campaigns for 50 CAD felt like a good deal)
-I understand there are several graphical options? Are there any other significant differences? Which one should I play?

Appreciate any answers, looking forward into finally learning the Halo story.

You can switch back and forth between graphics modes on the fly, but not audio. You can select different audio before starting a mission in the menu.

the remastered graphics are neat, but for a first time playthrough, I recommend using the original, so I also recommend the original audio.

As for the game itself - TBH I think it's the best Halo campaign in terms of gameplay. I always get the Story was over-praised. It's fine pulpy sci fi nonsense that's interesting enough to keep going, but a lot of it is cheese. There's definitely a charm there but it's not some Oscar winning story.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
WHY DOESN'T THIS GAME RUN ON MY CORE 2 QUAD WHEN CRYSIS DOES

Hey dumbass i fixed it. My GPU was being so underutilized that core clock dropped to 300mhz instead of 1200mhz. 100+ fps.

If you took the time to look at the utilization of my hardware in that screen you'd see the game literally wasn't trying to run. You clearly have no idea about anything hardware related if you think a 5Ghz 8 thread CPU cant run something from 2001.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the problem seems to be that they didn't port over certain effects from either the Xbox (NVIDIA SoundStorm) or original PC version of the game (Creative EAX).

Missing environmental effects like that is an unfortunately common issue in many "remasters" of older PC games (around 2008 and earlier).
A new mix alone is not going to fix that.

Seriously a game that looks like this shouldn't be running the way it is on my rig.
8lDSLF1.jpg

Especially when I can run something like this at 70fps +
Crysis-DX10-Feb-27-2008-17-28-02-2-29-2020-9-33-12-PM.png
Your CPU and GPU both seem to be under-utilized, which suggests that something else may be wrong - like the GPU being stuck in a low-power state after a crash.
Have you tried restarting your PC?

Your CPU is nearly ten years old.
The game is nearly nineteen years old.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm looking forward to diving back in to Combat Evolved later this week. To whoever plays this game for the first time, I hope you will enjoy this experience as much as I did when the game launched on the OG Xbox back in November 2001.

I'll see you on Blood Gulch, fellas.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Sorry guys - I forgot that modern ports of older games always work perfectly and can't have performance issues on vastly superior hardware.

Nah dawg. Don't play that game. You said it was CPU. Point here is the game shouldn't be causing my GPU to do this. I shouldn't have to force a constant clock. I'm not the only one having this issue.

steamcommunity.com

Halo 1 bugging? help me plz :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Halo reach work fine but I have some major issue whit halo 1. I cant pick up weapon on the ground even tough it says hold E to pick up but i can enter vehicle, some map are lagging like hell around 10 fps and screen flicker when i zoom whit weapon, also tried to use controller instead of...
steamcommunity.com

20 FPS on CE :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

What's the point of flighting if 343i is just going to refuse to fix any issues brought up during the flights? The flights are just glorified demos now, they released a single flight and then just released the full game a few days later without fixing any of the issues. Loads of people were...
steamcommunity.com

Terrible framerate in CE only in Classic View :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Anybody else getting this? Playing Halo CE:A with remastered graphics is fine, 60fps and buttery smooth, but when I switch to Classic it stutters and feels like it struggles to keep 25fps even.
steamcommunity.com

Getting very bad performance in CE:A Remastered Mode, anyone else? :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Halo Reach has no performance issues but CE:a Remastered my fps is very low and is all over the place. Anyone else?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had to manually update via Xbox app but it's downloading 25.7Gb now. It's bloody slow, like 8Mb/s slow, busy servers I suppose.

That's it I'm off to buy an Elite 2 controller now.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switching back and forth between classic and remastered graphics in a flash is a fun gimmick. I bet it was a pain in the ass to make the game do that.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Nah dawg. Don't play that game. You said it was CPU. Point here is the game shouldn't be causing my GPU to do this. I shouldn't have to force a constant clock. I'm not the only one having this issue.

steamcommunity.com

Halo 1 bugging? help me plz :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Halo reach work fine but I have some major issue whit halo 1. I cant pick up weapon on the ground even tough it says hold E to pick up but i can enter vehicle, some map are lagging like hell around 10 fps and screen flicker when i zoom whit weapon, also tried to use controller instead of...
steamcommunity.com

What's the point of flighting if 343i is just going to refuse to fix any issues brought up during the flights? The flights are just glorified demos now, they released a single flight and then just released the full game a few days later without fixing any of the issues. Loads of people were...
steamcommunity.com

Terrible framerate in CE only in Classic View :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Anybody else getting this? Playing Halo CE:A with remastered graphics is fine, 60fps and buttery smooth, but when I switch to Classic it stutters and feels like it struggles to keep 25fps even.
steamcommunity.com

Getting very bad performance in CE:A Remastered Mode, anyone else? :: Halo: The Master Chief Collection General Discussions

Halo Reach has no performance issues but CE:a Remastered my fps is very low and is all over the place. Anyone else?
Did you participate in any of the flights? I don't know if it will help, but be sure to delete the MCC folder in this location %appdata%\LocalLow\MCC

Launching game should remake that MCC folder, might help :)

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Good news is 343 is already on the Plasma Pistol and Achievement bug as a few have mentioned in this thread:

Audio: During flighting, many players reported various issues with the audio relating to the Plasma Pistol, levels of audio, and sounds or music overlapping, stuttering, or cutting out. These are known issues that we are working to address in a future update. To read more about ongoing work with audio, check out the "Adding All the Audio" section in the MCC Development Update for February.

Achievement Issues & Support Tickets: Problems with achievements have been one of the most reported issues through our customer support team. The team is continuing to work though these issues. We will not list all fixes below, but many underlying problems have been improved with this update.

steamcommunity.com

steamcommunity.com

steamcommunity.com

steamcommunity.com

How'd you fix the issue btw?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Your GPU is the low-end of a series that is two generations obsolete, your CPU is ancient, and of course the multiplayer doesn't have updated graphics, it was never remastered. CEA is a Singleplayer-Only game which had no multiplayer. This is Halo 1 Multiplayer, not CEA Multiplayer. It'll be a similar case with Halo 2, where the OG multiplayer is old-graphics only - The "Remastered" version of Halo 2 MP is just a handful of the most popular maps in Halo 4's engine with the gameplay regeared to play more like Halo 2.

As for why this would demand stronger hardware than the original PC release, is because it's running in MCC's sandbox with a whole bunch of other backend stuff running in the background that didn't in the 2003 release - The performance impact of such things adds up fast despite how low-impact some people might think they are.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Did you participate in any of the flights? I don't know if it will help, but be sure to delete the MCC folder in this location %appdata%\LocalLow\MCC

Launching game should remake that MCC folder, might help :)

No but I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you.
Good news is 343 is already on the Plasma Pistol and Achievement bug as a few have mentioned in this thread:

How'd you fix the issue btw?

My bad. I went into the Nvidia control panel and forced my power policy to max performance for the game executable. Before that I forced a constant voltage in MSI afterburner but I want to avoid that. NVCP works most of the time but it still drops fps from time to time because the game is just too basic visually. Just happens less often now.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
My bad. I went into the Nvidia control panel and forced my power policy to max performance for the game executable. Before that I forced a constant voltage in MSI afterburner but I want to avoid that. NVCP works most of the time but it still drops fps from time to time because the game is just too basic visually. Just happens less often now.
Max performance should really be the standard if you're gaming. I noticed massive FPS gains when toggled for emulators so I figure it can translate to games too.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Your GPU is the low-end of a series that is two generations obsolete, your CPU is ancient, and of course the multiplayer doesn't have updated graphics, it was never remastered. CEA is a Singleplayer-Only game which had no multiplayer. This is Halo 1 Multiplayer, not CEA Multiplayer. It'll be a similar case with Halo 2, where the OG multiplayer is old-graphics only - The "Remastered" version of Halo 2 MP is just a handful of the most popular maps in Halo 4's engine with the gameplay regeared to play more like Halo 2.

As for why this would demand stronger hardware than the original PC release, is because it's running in MCC's sandbox with a whole bunch of other backend stuff running in the background that didn't in the 2003 release - The performance impact of such things adds up fast despite how low-impact some people might think they are.

My guy...I already fixed it. My GPU was going into low power state cuz the game has such basic visuals. See my other posts. My hardware was being severely underutilized. And AGAIN campaign with remastered graphics runs wayyyyy better than multiplayer. Y'all rushing in to defend this broken port. Tons of other peeps having this issue aside from me. Check the links I posted.

Max performance should really be the standard if you're gaming. I noticed massive FPS gains when toggled for emulators so I figure it can translate to games too.

I suppose, never really had an issue before this game though. Drivers generally picked up on when it should and shouldn't boost. Even with max performance the drivers still think I have no load sometimes though, and drop my clocks. Just less than before.

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Part of the problem seems to be that they didn't port over certain effects from either the Xbox (NVIDIA SoundStorm) or original PC version of the game (Creative EAX).

Missing environmental effects like that is an unfortunately common issue in many "remasters" of older PC games (around 2008 and earlier).
A new mix alone is not going to fix that.
My reply was more about the sound in Halo Reach. Though they really should work with the Azure team and backwards engineer the audio system that was used for Gears 5 into Halo CE:A