• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
343 is just a middle man to the people actually working on the MCC port, while they work on Infinite. This HCEA release is literally littered with bugs. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 343 never not once seems to push back on anything Microsoft tells them to do. Which is why I called 343 a super sub before and Microsoft being their dom.

Literally obey is all 343 knows how to do, they do not think for themselves as a company nor does microsoft consider that 343's name get tarnished over and over the more they fuck these ports up.
The concept of a Microsoft company being a "sub" to Microsoft gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So just to confirm, steam is 7 GBish?

EDIT: thanks TaySan

This is hilarious. Please 343 stop being a sub to microsoft. You're managing the fucking HALO IP.

This flight was beyond fucking buggy. How did this get approved? Push back and tell them you need to work ON IT.

Your 3rd party support studios at this point literally aren't doing their job right.

Is this with respect to the MP or the campaign? I don't know much about the flights so not sure if you guys have had access to the campaigns.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm a huge Halo fan who is not nearly as bothered by Reach's audio issues as some, but it's a valid complaint. It is very tinny. People should be able to talk about it.

you don't see the difference between 'talking about it' and going '343i are incompetent clowns' in a thread about another game?

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
After playing Halo Reach vanilla vs modded Halo Reach Evolved campaign (both in coop and legendary) I honestly rather wait until the'res also a mod to change the many flaws of the game. It was tons more fun playing Reach Evolved than the vanilla version.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
you don't see the difference between 'talking about it' and going '343i are incompetent clowns' in a thread about another game?

Huge difference, I agree. But the person I was responding to isn't the same coming with the same energy as that other individual calling 343i everything but children of God.

Fair discourse is legitimate, no need for the name calling.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, noticing a lot more graphic detail (especially in the Chief's armor) and noticeable improved IQ overall in Halo CEA compared to even the 4K Xbox One X version. I always loved the remastered version's look with the exception of the Gold Elite which was too busy and tribal-like for no apparent reason. Love, love Anniversary...plays like a dream on PC.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so has anybody else those weird dithered shadows (especially in the cutscenes) in the new graphics mode? Looks so ugly, I changed to the classic mode.

Think this is tied to the Advanced graphic setting. Not sure what the setting does but I noticed the dithering effect with it turned on. You can turn off Advanced graphics and it removes this on the Anniversary graphics.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That is not entirely true.
It's true. They've even said their outsourcing it in their blog posts. 343 does almost nothing in this. Maybe data collection? Error Reporting? QA? But actually developing these ports? Not a fucking chance.
What are the issues with CEA on PC right now?
I've had issues with input, latency, and multiple UI bugs. Character customization is using reach skeleton so it looks like someone dislocated all of chief arms. Extremely simple fixes that for some reason made it through. A bunch of the MP text just says "null" all over the place.
The concept of a Microsoft company being a "sub" to Microsoft gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.
I mean it's true is it not?

Is this with respect to the MP or the campaign? I don't know much about the flights so not sure if you guys have had access to the campaigns.
It's really in respect to the whole package.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol, just turned the Steam framerate counter thing on, and the game's been running at 500+ fps in multiplayer, so that might be causing some issues. Is it weird that I'm not getting screen tearing though? 62 fps in menus though.

Doesn't seem like anybody's playing 8v8 in CE.

Also, why's friendly fire off?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's true. They've even said their outsourcing it in their blog posts. 343 does almost nothing in this. Maybe data collection? Error Reporting? QA? But actually developing these ports? Not a fucking chance.

If you don't know what you're talking about then it is best that you don't speak on the topic. Yes, they're outsourcing, but they are not just the middleman.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
lol, just turned the Steam framerate counter thing on, and the game's been running at 500+ fps in multiplayer, so that might be causing some issues. Is it weird that I'm not getting screen tearing though? 62 fps in menus though.

Doesn't seem like anybody's playing 8v8 in CE.

Also, why's friendly fire off?

At 500 fps you're very unlikely to notice screen tearing on a high refresh rate monitor. At most, you might notice distorted angles when moving. For example, a vertical wall might look slanted.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
The audio issues do not make it unplayable and they also communicated clearly before launch that they were looking into it. So to say they didn't learn their lesson after multiple flights and a sporadic release with each game is just bullshit.

if you can play the game like this then more power to you but i can't. not everyone has the problem which is good but a sizeable amount of players are experiencing the game like this and that is simply not something i will deal with.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
My initial campaign impressions from someone who hasn't been in any of the flights:

- Runs well. Locked 144 fps on my 6700K/1070 at 1440p with ~15-20% GPU usage with classic, 80-144 fps ~50% with anniversary graphics depending on action. Game looks great, and the UI elements are nice and sharp.
- The unlocked framerate looks and feels good in gameplay. Miles better than Reach. Mouse movement feels flawless to me.
- Anniversary graphics don't look half bad in 2020, but there are changes to the art style that I'm equivocal about. My most recent playthrough was with Anniversary graphics so I'll probably be playing in classic.
- Cutscenes are weird in that they have smooth camera panning that looks like it's at the native framerate, but animations and particularly moving characters have a strange interpolated, motion blur-ish look to them. Gameplay looks fine though.
- Some animations and effects still appear to play at 30 fps, notably plasma weapons. Especially notable with the Covenant dropships' plasma bolts.
- Audio sounds normal. Not muffled as in Reach. The music may be a bit soft, but I don't remember exactly what CE's sound mix between effects/music/voice sounds like.
- Some minor bugs I've run into so far: plasma pistol played the charge shot sound when I was just tapping. When Master Chief gets out of his cryosleep casket thing, his model also remained in the casket, so for a second there were two Chiefs.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. It feels kinda crazy to play Halo: CE on PC at 144 fps with a decent FOV and good m/kb controls.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Whelp I'm in. Never played the series really just bought it.

This is gonna be a big week for me, Black Mesa and a Halo remaster. Haven't played FPS for years.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Is the netcode for this one still really bad? I remember it being a major issue on Xbox as an outgrowth of the PC gearbox port.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The biggest thing I noticed while playing HCE multi on Steam today is that audio levels are all over the place. My footsteps are amped up and my gun fire is quiet.

Already had to alt+F4 out of multi after three matchmade sessions. As of today, 343i apparently didn't update the multiplayer queue options to favor HCE matchmaking. My first match was in Longest with everyone spawning on top of their opponents. I can't remember if that map was always a nightmare in terms of spawn points.

Potentially unrelated, I have no idea how to report players; I had a guy on my team going on a betrayal frenzy, and in the post-game report, I couldn't figure out how to flag his account for being an asshole. Ah well.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
If you don't know what you're talking about then it is best that you don't speak on the topic. Yes, they're outsourcing, but they are not just the middleman.
Well I explained what they potentially could be doing. QA/Error Management/Feedback. If that's not what their doing right now then please explain.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Is this one's audio broken like Reach which they still didn't fix but released another game in the collection???

Jun 1, 2018
Is this one's audio broken like Reach which they still didn't fix but released another game in the collection???
giphy.gif

btw does the multiplayer work now?

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019

Don't know if they fixed it, but the flight's audio was noticeably different from XB1 version. The gunshot sounds and voice lines were tuned down and the music was tuned up. It didn't sound too great.

What's the aim assist like on controller? It was so strong in reach, it felt OP

It's weaker than Reach's but still there. It's not as "strong" in this game since you need to lead all of your shots, and the pistol is as random as the DMR when it wants to be.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
Slightly weird bug in that I completed the Pillar of Autumn level in single player but unlocked the Steam achievement for Truth and Reconciliation.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Holding off until I can buy Halo CE seperately. Not interested in the other games.
store.steampowered.com

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary on Steam

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary comes to PC as the second installment of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, chronicling the rise of the legendary Master Chief.
You can do that now, I believe. Reach was the same way.
It says on the store page "To play either purchase Halo: Master Chief Collection, or Individual DLC."

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
My initial campaign impressions from someone who hasn't been in any of the flights:

- Runs well. Locked 144 fps on my 6700K/1070 at 1440p with ~15-20% GPU usage with classic, 80-144 fps ~50% with anniversary graphics depending on action. Game looks great, and the UI elements are nice and sharp.
- The unlocked framerate looks and feels good in gameplay. Miles better than Reach. Mouse movement feels flawless to me.
- Anniversary graphics don't look half bad in 2020, but there are changes to the art style that I'm equivocal about. My most recent playthrough was with Anniversary graphics so I'll probably be playing in classic.
- Cutscenes are weird in that they have smooth camera panning that looks like it's at the native framerate, but animations and particularly moving characters have a strange interpolated, motion blur-ish look to them. Gameplay looks fine though.
- Some animations and effects still appear to play at 30 fps, notably plasma weapons. Especially notable with the Covenant dropships' plasma bolts.
- Audio sounds normal. Not muffled as in Reach. The music may be a bit soft, but I don't remember exactly what CE's sound mix between effects/music/voice sounds like.
- Some minor bugs I've run into so far: plasma pistol played the charge shot sound when I was just tapping. When Master Chief gets out of his cryosleep casket thing, his model also remained in the casket, so for a second there were two Chiefs.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. It feels kinda crazy to play Halo: CE on PC at 144 fps with a decent FOV and good m/kb controls.
I absolutely still have the audio issues in Reach, but HCE is 100% fine for me.
Much obliged for the impressions, really looking forward to this now

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
You can do that. Just purchase the "Halo CE" DLC.

store.steampowered.com

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary on Steam

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary comes to PC as the second installment of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, chronicling the rise of the legendary Master Chief.
You can do that now, I believe. Reach was the same way.
It says on the store page "To play either purchase Halo: Master Chief Collection, or Individual DLC."

Really? It says this over on my end:

untitledoljeq.png