• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Did they ever fix 60 fps+ in Reach? The cutscenes are broken but Halo CE campaign is working above 60 fps without the stuttering and it feels so good to play.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This brings a flood of nostalgia from my days of playing on Blood Gulch, but it makes my thirst for H2A even stronger.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
My friend is telling me that the sound on CE is different than the console version. How are they messing this up so bad?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The cutscenes in H:CE still seem messed up at 60fps or unlocked. I've tried fullscreen, windowed, and borderless. The gameplay itself is perfect.. but the cutscenes have a weird stutter to them which looks like 30fps animations trying to be interpolated to 60 or unlimited fps and it doesn't sync properly.

The only thing I didn't try, which I guess I should have, was changing my monitor to 60hz instead of 165hz. Maybe that will fix the issue?

Is it like that on Xbox?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is making me so much more excited for Halo 2 and 3. This already feels so much better than Reach.

I didn't read my emails. When do I get to play matchmaking?

NJhvItj.png

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The cutscenes in H:CE still seem messed up at 60fps or unlocked. I've tried fullscreen, windowed, and borderless. The gameplay itself is perfect.. but the cutscenes have a weird stutter to them which looks like 30fps animations trying to be interpolated to 60 or unlimited fps and it doesn't sync properly.

The only thing I didn't try, which I guess I should have, was changing my monitor to 60hz instead of 165hz. Maybe that will fix the issue?

Is it like that on Xbox?
Campaign cutscenes animation run at 30FPS on Xbox, there's a simple mod on original Halo PC to fix this. I was really hoping 343 would fix this with this port but looks like they haven't among all the other issues with classic CE.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I got the Steam code/invite. This pre-release version of CEA is ALARMINGLY poor. Right-click is non-functional, sound is constantly popping (especially in menus), and I have a bizarre amount of stutter on a 144hz VRR display on a high-end system in both gameplay and cutscenes. This should not have been sent out. I legitimately can't zoom with the sniper rifle on Mouse 2, which to my taste, is unplayable. I've played this at length on Xbox, and these issues are specific to PC.

I'll say it again: This should not have been sent out.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Steam code/invite. This pre-release version of CEA is ALARMINGLY poor. Right-click is non-functional, sound is constantly popping (especially in menus), and I have a bizarre amount of stutter on a 144hz VRR display on a high-end system in both gameplay and cutscenes. This should not have been sent out. I legitimately can't zoom with the sniper rifle on Mouse 2, which to my taste, is unplayable. I've played this at length on Xbox, and these issues are specific to PC.

This is an interesting take considering It's a test flight. Submit a ticket on the Halo support site.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is an interesting take considering It's a test flight. Submit a ticket on the Halo support site.

Already done. I've been doing the test-flights for some time. I'm saying this is notably below par, including basic functional things like default controls working for things like zoom.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually checked my other email and I did get in the flight. I'll mess with this over the weekend for sure. Really curious what the deal is with the sound quality for CE...

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

I think you should reconsider your participation in these test programs. :p

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think you should reconsider your participation in these test programs. :p

I think basics like controls (not nuance like"feel", but buttons working in a default environment) should be handled before sending out to test groups. I care enough to ticket the issue in their Zendesk system. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to question whether they're making their own jobs harder by sending out versions where that level of problem will eat up time and energy all around. This issue was reproducible for me on two different devices.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They should really just use that interpolation mod for 60+ fps.
Also the sounds still being broken, cmon now, it's been broken in Reach for months.

Oct 25, 2017
I got an invite, I hope they won't kick me off the test for not playing Friday and Saturday, I'll be joining in on Sunday.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think basics like controls (not nuance like"feel", but buttons working in a default environment) should be handled before sending out to test groups. I care enough to ticket the issue in their Zendesk system. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to question whether they're making their own jobs harder by sending out versions where that level of problem will eat up time and energy all around. This issue was reproducible for me on two different devices.

Most of the time these tests are targeting specific aspects unrelated to the issues you are refering to. In addition they may already be aware of it but it's a non-issue for testing purposes.

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
Man I missed halo 1. Its nice to be back. That being said I hope that HEH is never in btb for release. Absolutely horrid map for that amount. 4v4 max.
The sounds are fine, not muffled like reach but they're the remastered ones so they sound meh to me. Glad mp is getting OG sounds.
Other small things I noticed:
the netcode is much better than pc 2003
No zoom noises, weird
That customization screen is laughably weird looking for halo 1
No minimap, weird

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the time these tests are targeting specific aspects unrelated to the issues you are refering to. In addition they may already be aware of it but it's a non-issue for testing purposes.

If you're following the flights, they have a list of known issues in the builds so they don't get redundant tickets to run through. This was sent out without any outward sign they were aware of it. We can agree to disagree that control inputs for something like zoom are an issue for testing, but you don't need to act like I'm unaware of things you obviously aren't following, yourself.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're following the flights, they have a list of known issues in the builds so they don't get redundant tickets to run through. This was sent out without any outward sign they were aware of it. We can agree to disagree that control inputs for something like zoom are an issue for testing, but you don't need to act like I'm unaware of things you obviously aren't following, yourself.
Just saying, you are making a mountain out of an ant hill. This is an early test build and has no set release date yet. If they were expected to have every issue ironed out before flighting then the game will either never release or they will skip flighting altogether.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just saying, you are making a mountain out of an ant hill. This is an early test build and has no set release date yet. If they were expected to have every issue ironed out before flighting then the game will either never release or they will skip flighting altogether.

I made one post, and you've been badgering me since. You can either stop making a big deal out of it, or I can set you to ignore.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019

Zoom in with the scope is broken because its bound to the same button as the secondary vehicle fire and that causes an issue for some reason. If you rebind the conflicting vehicle fire itll zoom fine. Not a perfect fix but thats why its a test

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Zoom in with the scope is broken because its bound to the same button as the secondary vehicle fire and that causes an issue for some reason. If you rebind the conflicting vehicle fire itll zoom fine. Not a perfect fix but thats why its a test

Makes sense, and that was my best guess in another thread where it came up. I assume that's the same reason zoom and increase-zoom are two different buttons (but aren't functional if set to the same button). The version notes did say they're working on overlapping binding, so that may bode well for impending changes.

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I didn't make it in, but I received the invite at 2:55 AM my time.

My friend is telling me that the sound on CE is different than the console version. How are they messing this up so bad?

Tell your friend that there is a toggle for Classic and Remastered Audio in the Options:

DlkU8I3.png

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Cool stuff! Got in. Shame the limited play times and the ungodly hours they chose.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This may just be the result of me being rusty, but with keyboard-and-mouse, I feel like the reaction time on enemies like elites may have been tuned a bit so they're still tricky to fight at close-range. It feels good, once you get used to the improved precision. I say this basically any time I come back to classic Halo games, but I'm still impressed how robust the mechanics feel, even decades after-the-fact.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, i really forgot how dull and repetitive level design in Halo 1 lol. Also cutscenes are animated in 30 fps?

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recall a rep for 343 once saying they were looking into putting back some of the missing textures/effects from the original Xbox Bungie version, can anyone comment if that is true?

Here is a list of them, tagged and with solutions from the modding community for the existing PC version.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, some good fucking food.

Plasma Pistol sound effects are broken as all hell

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
That Halo 1 stream and that wide FOV... Ugh. Why? I can understand a little wider, but seeing distortion just ruins the game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
are the transparency effects and lighting that were broken in the original mcc fixed now? i saw some other similar stuff had been was wondering if they went the whole way

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Halo Combat Evolved is so fucking good

Just imagine if they made a sequel......

unknown.png

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How have they not figured out the audio issues by this point, are they all playing off tv stereo speakers in a loud room over there or what?