• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 19, 2020
Either truly masterful, brilliant, awe inspiring satire, or one of the most obnoxious, ill-informed, absolute idiotic takes I've ever read. I don't know whether my inability to identify which is a criticism of this forum or myself.
They quote replied me and two others then never came back so I'm assuming his or her views were real and didn't feel like substantiating the arrogant nonsense that said views were packaged in.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I remember is that two of the levels are the same level, only you're backtracking the second time. And it was boring as hell the first time.

Edit: I'm not trashing the whole game, just that the annoyance of having to basically repeat that endless corridor level still sticks with me.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm playing through "legendary historical all-time classics" that I've never played before including games like FF7, Ocarina of Time and Halo. I'd say FF7 and OoT still holds up pretty well today and I still consider them some of the best game ever but Halo really aged terribly IMO. I played until after the Flood level and I just don't feel like playing it anymore its just so boring.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When it came out it was fucking mind blowing, there was nothing remotely close to it in terms of scale and story and gameplay.

I think it still think the first half of the game stands up nicely but the second half is really quite bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP no big deal but I just wanted you to know that me and you are now mortal enemies and if I meet you in person there will be a fight thank you for your time

LapinAgile

Oct 29, 2017
On consoles the argument is far simpler, Halo controlled better than any other FPS on the market prior to it. Bungie nailed FPS controls on console to the point that they have basically remained unchanged until present. Add to that excellent AI, 2 weapon loadout, vehicles, health regen and open map design and you have a game adored by millions. Plus the local/LAN MP was excellent.
The combat loop was unique as well, dealing with the sheilded enemies. Guns, Grenades and melee . I remember the first big encounter on halo being frustrating because I wasn't used to having enemies just dropped in from all directions. Every shooter I'd played had been a corridor based affair. That and the vehicles, seamlessly going from indoor to huge outdoor environments was amazing for the time. Also playing the best halo game right before going back to the original blueprint is going to sour your perspective a fair amount. The flood sections were tedious but they didnt ruin the game for me.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's with era and it's hottakes.

The game has aged but it's still damn fun. The A.I. design in the sandbox of the game still shits on some modern shooters A.I. That's the biggest disappointment I have with a lot of modern shooters.

The pathing in the levels of the original is it's weakest point because you can for better or worse get lost at times. The other major thing I wanna point out is the "new modern" Anniversary are the inferior way to experience the original game. Plasma shots don't have good tells, it's overly filled with details that aren't needed at times, and most importantly it destroys the atmosphere in many moments throughout the campaign with it all its bright ass colors. It's a shame that's gonna be ur first playthrough.

ROFL, this should have been first post.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Highly spicy of you. The good levels are still good 20 years later. Pillar of Autumn through Silent Cartographer mostly.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
What a terrible take.

Next we'll see a post saying Ocarina of Time is also a bad game because someone played it after the franchise and the genre went through decades of evolution.

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta use this OP
RWqEhR

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, played it this year for the first time on original hardware and it's still a fun game. Silent Cartographer is the best level and it does dip in the back third but I enjoyed my time with it overall.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before Halo, the N64 shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok) pretty much stood alone in protecting the genre from PC-ized FPSs, which tended to follow a similar template

- Toxic masculinity (Doom, Duke Nukem)
- Atrocious enemy AI (Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- No allied AI (Half-Life, Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- Appalling art-styles (Half Life, Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- Horrible music (Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- No dynamic combat (Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, Quake, Wolfenstein)
- No co-op (Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, Quake, Wolfenstein)

It comes as no shock that the genre's popularity sky-rocketed once Halo came to the rescue; sure it has its flaws, but let's not forget the dark era.
hell yes, hell tyes bro

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i was all in for the Xbox. Halo was a huge disappointment. Although i guess after UT99 everything else feels like shit so who knows?

Transworld Surf and Tony Hawk 2x best Xbox launch games. Everything else.. Bloodwake, Azurik, Halo.. all trash.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly... I kinda felt the same when I was playing it for the first time couple of days ago.
But then again it's a really old game so I kinda understood that it can't be on par with todays shooters.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AI? all the enemies just walked straight in front of me or attempted randomly dashes to the left sometimes
They get much much smarter and more coordinated in retreating behind cover and dodging at higher difficulties. The elites in particular are brutal on legendary. I find heroic to be the most fine tuned for a fun but challenging experience throughout. The A.I. imo peaked with Reach's campaign mode and ODST's Firefight mode.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Before Halo, the N64 shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok) pretty much stood alone in protecting the genre from PC-ized FPSs, which tended to follow a similar template

It comes as no shock that the genre's popularity sky-rocketed once Halo came to the rescue; sure it has its flaws, but let's not forget the dark era.
Quake has a great art style. Quake 2 and 3 had great music.

To a minor extent, Half-Life actually has allied AI but why do you see the lack of that and co-op as strictly negatives? Lots of games don't have either, even now, and not all of them are necessarily worse for it.

First-person shooters were already massively popular on PC (and had been throughout the 1990s) and from the sixth generation onward the consoles had become powerful enough to do the genre more justice, plus online gaming was becoming a thing for console gamers too. That better explains why first-person shooters spiked in popularity at the time (on consoles.) Halo just influenced the games that followed it. Had it never existed we would have still seen a glut of first-person shooters.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
AI? all the enemies just walked straight in front of me or attempted randomly dashes to the left sometimes

You're playing the PC version. Halo is HEAVILY balanced around gamepads.

Even the hard difficulty is just a shooting gallery with all the elites trying to sidestep your attacks (while triumphantly WORTWORTWORTING) which I'm sure would fuck with someone on a controller but on mkb is a joke.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Im not sure what discussion you're attempting to create with this thread. Your critiscms have been discussed ad nauseum since the games release, in fact I'm pretty sure there was a long thread about it just his week on era.

Not every game is for everyone and it's clear halo isn't for you and that's fine.

Halo is pretty widely considered to have some of the best AI in FPS games so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Oct 25, 2017
One time I tried to headshot an elite with a pistol and he ducked the last shot. Probably a coincidence but 12 year old me had his mind blown by genius AI.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it hasn't held up. Halo 2 has held up waaay better, strangely enough.

I'd rank the campaigns as such:
  1. Halo Reach
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 2
  4. Halo 4
  5. Halo
  6. Halo 5

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Yaaaaaaa, nah.

The entire game rests on the back of its combat loop and how it changes encounter ranges and variety amongst its enemy types. The level design being fairly plain and repetitive means little in the face of how often it mixes up combat encounters and lets you mix it up yourself with different weapon types. There's so much goofy player expression that can happen because of how the game let's you mess with different enemy types mixed with different weapon types that you have access to and it's all about alternating that throughout the entire course of the game.

I think only The Library is really a "weak" level and even then it's the only level that constantly hounds you and pushes you to keep moving and scrambling and scrounging and that itself is a huge pace changer and I genuinely do not mind it.

May 10, 2019
This is definitely the opinion of someone who was born after this game came out.

Old dude who was enjoying Half-Life 1, Alien vs. Predator 2000, and TimeSplitters at release here.

Halo did nothing for me and it still does nothing for me. Worst Bungie games ever, and I'm still sore that this stupid franchise robbed the world of a proper Myth 3.

Glad they turned it around with Destiny.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Old dude who was enjoying Half-Life 1, Alien vs. Predator 2000, and TimeSplitters at release here.

Halo did nothing for me and it still does nothing for me. Worst Bungie games ever, and I'm still sore that this stupid franchise robbed the world of a proper Myth 3.

This is definitely the opinion of someone who was born in the 70s.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017

The hell? Destiny is just Halo with a different skin. If you said you hate Destiny id understand, but the AI, movement, shooting, level design is all Halo.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

Destiny is ass

May 10, 2019
The hell? Destiny is just Halo with a different skin. If you said you hate Destiny id understand, but the AI, movement, shooting, level design is all Halo.

The gameplay loop is different, the momentum of movement and level design are WAY different compared to the first two Halo games (at least in their original releases), AI and enemy design I don't give a fuck about comparing. I had fun with both Destiny and Destiny 2, Halo bored me to tears every time I tried it. Sorry some of y'all can't deal with that.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I first played it in 2010 and also thought it was easily the worst in the series. Of course Halo fans at the time were saying how much worse Reach was in comparison which was nonsense.

Dec 31, 2017
User Warned - Uneeded Hostility

Did you take your medication this morning? Because I don't think you are thinking straight, all I'm reading is nonsense.

May 24, 2020
Funny to see this since I just started replaying Halo: CE with a friend who had never played it before today. In my opinion the remastered graphics hurt the experience a lot. The original level design was not created to support the amount of detail they add in the remaster, and it becomes visually overwhelming in a lot of places as a result.

It was also built to be played on a CRT (High refresh, no blur for moving objects). I'm lucky enough to still have a little 17" dell monitor to play it on, and it makes a huge difference visually.

If you're finding yourself overwhelmed try playing while using the original graphics a bit. The loss of fidelity is sad, but the benefit of visual comprehension (and, in many cases, improved atmosphere) is worth it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I always struggled with Halo. Played the first 3 near their respective release dates, but never played them for more than a few hours. I remember trading H3 away for PGR4 preorder credit after only playing it for a couple of hours.

They just never really appealed to me, even though I played and loved majority of the big name FPS games on both consoles and PC.

With MCC releasing on Steam, my friend insisted that we buy it so we can play every game in coop. I agreed to it, fuck it, why not? Gotta give it another chance.

I enjoyed Reach and 2. I can't say I "loved" them, but I had a good time overall, not bored or annoyed (technical issues aside).

But Halo 1.... man. First of all, the updated graphics suuuuuuuck. I couldn't believe how terrible most of the art changes were. After a few hours I just gave up and permanently played the game with classic graphics, occasionally changing to the updated graphics just to see the difference, and, it was almost consistently worse.

But that was the smallest issue I had with the game. I just really really really hated the level design. Both Reach and 2 were so much more enjoyable in this regard. 1's campaign isn't really long - it's roughly the same lenght as the other 2 games, maybe a little longer. But it felt like an eternity. So many tight, repetative corridors. There's a few levels like silent cartographer where the appeal of Halo really shines through, but honestly, it wasnt nearly enough.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the issues you have with the aesthetics are down to the poor art choices of the anniversary mode. It's way too colourful and over-designed.

It also a nearly 20 year old game 🤷‍♂️

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Just another shitty opinion to add to the recent pile of bad era takes.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is the definition of "I don't like thing" "OK". It's ok to like different things.

I played the game for the first time long after it's first release and still loved it. It's really unique it's it open, but linear design. The battlefields are designed like playgrounds. Depending on the type of player you are it can really resonate with you and it does seem to resonate with a lot of people.

Oct 31, 2017
Halo is a timeless, paradigm shifting, classic. It is to FPS what Super Mario Brothers is to platforming games, and yes I 100% believe it is Halo in this role in regards to FPS and game design.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018

Enough people have commented on why this is absurd, but...I just want to add on top of it that Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex all came out while Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were "protecting" the FPS from the terrible influence of PC shooters.

Also bashing the Doom Guy for "toxic masculinity" while elevating a game starring James Bond as a more positive alternative is, well, an ironic complaint (even if those aspects of Bond's character aren't in the game much).

Last edited:

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. Halo is incredibly overrated. It was when it was released, and still is. It's surrounded by so much hyperbole that it's silly. It was a fun MP experience, even though I always sucked at it.

RE: hyperbole. Look at this;

Halo is a timeless, paradigm shifting, classic.

Last edited:

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Listen to the people: legendary or bust. The levels aren't the thing. It's about fighting, finding your enemies flaws and weapon rotation. People say elites are hard, use anything plasma on them. The needler. Try to stuck 'em. Get their shields off then pistol in the head. Snipe in the dome. It gets easier as you learn the game. Sure you'll die a lot but the auto-save system is so forgiving. On coop the respawn mechanic is almost a cheat.

If you don't like the controls, the floatiness, aiming or the gun play, I don't think the game is for you. The next installments get eventually more and more produced and over-produced. More setpieces and "variation". More convoluted in every way.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The first time I played through the game I thought it was just alright, but almost every replay I have had with it since has been more and more enjoyable. The combat sandbox is just absolutely phenomenal and makes most other FPSs feel rather basic and shallow to me. Especially on heroic it feels like every encounter is almost unpredictable even if you know exactly how to go about it. It is even better still with a friend in co-op.

Now Halo 2, that campaign is an absolute mess. I still like a lot of what it does, though.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm with you OP. Halo is incredibly overrated. It was when it was released, and still is. It's surrounded by so much hyperbole that it's silly. It was a fun MP experience, even though I always sucked at it.

RE: hyperbole. Look at this;
How is this hyperbole? It's legitimately true. Regenerating shields alone is a fundamental, industry wide shift/change. The vast majority of action games today and made in the last two decades, FPS or otherwise, have some form of regenerating health system and they have Halo to thank. And Halo still feels satisfying and good to play, much like the original Super Mario Bros.

Halo is to FPS like SMB is to platforming. Yeah there's groundbreaking originators that were there first, but it takes the baton and runs with it, refining it into a form that standardizes industry wide, affecting a ton of things. Dual analog FPS control systems (and even modern dual analog third person controls) have Halo directly to thank too.

People's hatred towards Halo has always been so strong.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
The shooting is fine but the level design is offensive. It ruins the game. It is the worst in the trilogy.

Even back then games like Half Life and Perfect Dark destroyed the original Halo.