• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, thrust seems like a good compromise for those who want sprint. It basically gives the same function to an extent (Quickly get-away or change direction).

I think this might be a taste of things to come with Halo Infinite. However, I don't expect a mode like this to be the full-on only MP option for Infinite.
I do see something like this being the standard for Ranked and Esports play however. With casual modes being more "typical" of what you'd expect in today's shooters. Similar to how say Smash has modes with both Items and no Items for online.

cluk

May 22, 2018
This looks fun but what is with the bland looking maps?
They are made in the map editor (forge).

Fuck I wish we knew more about Infinite. I don't know what to expect. I'm thinking a push towards all things more classic though (art, gameplay etc). Which I would absolutely love. Though I wonder how they will bring it up to be more "modern" you know? I'm all for no sprint, but for the average shooter fan in 2020 wouldn't they be like what the hell is this?

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand why bungie did this for several maps in reach and 343 has done it for 5. They just don't look good at all. If these were user made maps, that's one thing, but if 343 made these....cmon

Either way I'm still redownloading Halo 5 and it's ultimately not a huge deal I just don't get it tbh

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I dont mind sprint but dont care if it goes away. But Id be really upset of we lose most of the Halo 5 spartan abilities.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I hope 343 used the regular Halo 5 multiplayer as a basis for Halo Infinite. They're on the right track. We'll always have the classic Halos for that classic gameplay.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck I wish we knew more about Infinite. I don't know what to expect. I'm thinking a push towards all things more classic though (art, gameplay etc). Which I would absolutely love. Though I wonder how they will bring it up to be more "modern" you know? I'm all for no sprint, but for the average shooter fan in 2020 wouldn't they be like what the hell is this?

One of the things I was thinking Is what if they kept Sprint for BTB and Warzone and Campaign, and made Arena (4v4,5v5) more like Mythic.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why bungie did this for several maps in reach and 343 has done it for 5. They just don't look good at all. If these were user made maps, that's one thing, but if 343 made these....cmon

Either way I'm still redownloading Halo 5 and it's ultimately not a huge deal I just don't get it tbh
In this case maps are simple and clean to evoke that classic Halo feel.

Personally, I want Halo maps designed like this. Less busy, more colorful, clean, almost basic-looking, etc.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hope 343 used the regular Halo 5 multiplayer as a basis for Halo Infinite. They're on the right track. We'll always have the classic Halos for that classic gameplay.
Agreed.

I thoroughly enjoyed my short time with Halo 5, even though I just played the FFA and Team Slayer modes. The game felt great to me at least, even though 3 is my all time favorite mostly due to the nostalgia factor/memories I have playing the fuck out of it during my teens.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind if this is a playlist, but I'm still firmly in the "Halo 5 is objectively the best MP Halo" camp for sure.

But options are nice for those who are feeling nostalgic :)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I think Halo 5 has the best gameplay and multiplayer in the series, but it would be even better if sprint was removed (and to a lesser degree, clamber) i.e. resembling the Mythic playlist.

-Drop sprint, and increase base movement speed.
- Remove clamber, add a bunny-hop double-jump (provides same function as clamber, but would facilitate greater verticality and 360 degree movement at all times)
- Remove Spartan charge
- Keep slide

Perfection

Last edited:

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try this mode tonight , do love me a sprint + crouch slide + jump + boost combo though

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Halo 5 in couple of years. This is literally what i want them to do in the next Halo game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the issue with clamber so long as maps are not designed around its usage. If I barely miss a jump, I wouldn't mind that mechanic saving me. Hell, in most games it's included in now it's not even considered a mechanic, just a standard for convenience.

Why take it away?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still of the opinion Halo should innovate in regards to weapon/vehicle sandbox and map interaction/destructible elements. Even the equipment in Halo 3 was a much better addition than loadouts in Reach and I think expanding/improving on the equipment in Halo 3 would have been better than what Bungie did with Reach.

Wait why the fuck is slide gone?
You need sprint for it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see the issue with clamber so long as maps are not designed around its usage. If I barely miss a jump, I wouldn't mind that mechanic saving me. Hell, in most games it's included in now it's not even considered a mechanic, just a standard for convenience.

Why take it away?

I feel the same, it's such a commonplace mechanic too. I don't think I can even name a big FPS that doesn't use it

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017

Why take it away?
Because a poorly timed jump and the option of missing stuff adds to the game, maps are designed in the original to flow a certain way while still giving ways to create quicker paths by crouch jumping, and in some cases it's a bit of a ballsy play.

Clamber also is this disjointed second where you can't shoot or anything, and part of why people want sprint n stuff gone is because Halos movement allows you to do everything you need while still being able to shoot at all times.

Execution mechanics have merit, especially in multiplayer.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great vid btw of ShyWay analysing Shotzzy his movement in Halo 5 and using its full potential.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Tried it yesterday and didn't like it. The maps were bad and everything felt too floaty. Power weapons were also pretty pointless since the BR is so good. I'll pass on this being the future for Halo 6.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Halo is the closest we are ever going to get to a popular arena shooter like unreal tournament. I'm hoping they dont fuck up infinite.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it yesterday and didn't like it. The maps were bad and everything felt too floaty. Power weapons were also pretty pointless since the BR is so good. I'll pass on this being the future for Halo 6.
I don't think the playlist is that great because of the big awful maps and the H2 br doesn't work well as a starting weapon in H5.

But that doesn't mean the idea can't work in Infinite if the game was designed for it.

Jun 10, 2018
I haven't played it yet, but from the gameplay I have seen it instantly started making me wonder if this could be a Beta test of sorts of Halo Infinite.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now bring it back to 30fps so it still feels like Halo and you have the perfect situation.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Only now hearing about this. This is the best Halo has felt in a decade. Where was this game in 2015?

I'd rather have two hit with decreased lunge but I assume that wasn't a variable they could easily change.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Now bring it back to 30fps so it still feels like Halo and you have the perfect situation.

Bring it back to 30 FPS so it feels worse? What am I reading lol.

Edit: Actually, is this a common sentiment? The MCC games at 60 FPS feel so much better than the Xbox + 360 games at 30 FPS?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think the playlist is that great because of the big awful maps and the H2 br doesn't work well as a starting weapon in H5.

But that doesn't mean the idea can't work in Infinite if the game was designed for it.
I'm speaking on this particular execution. The idea could work but this won't.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing some of this last night and ended up having a couple pretty intense matches.

I was previously all-in on Spartan Abilities sticking around, but a Halo 3 LAN last year reminded me how approachable those games used to be (having folk come by who hadn't ever played a Halo title before). There's a lot more to explain if you're passing someone a controller for Halo 5 vs one of those earlier games; I can see the argument about simplicity being king here.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Community: we want Infinite to be a refined version of this, a better and modernized Halo 2/3, the glory days

343 Industries: Gotcha, Infinite will have two times as much Sprint and Abilities than our previous game. We'll toss in a classic side mode once again so you people realize how much you don't miss it.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I would miss a lot of the Spartan Abilities if they were stripped out of Infinite, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

Every Halo game has somehow felt completely different in terms of gameplay, why stop that train now?

This. I really loved Halo 5 MP, it they go back I'm I'm probably just going to move on. Halo 3 was amazing but just felt too damn slow.