• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Halo 4 is such a bummer way to close this project. They should really bring H5 to PC while everyone is waiting for Infinite.
Did they say they are closing the project? They've brought so much good will by diving this deep on getting the game working correctly, and with Game Pass, continuing to work on this and adding Halo 5 makes a lot of sense.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Halo 4 is a technically great looking game (art direction is quite horrid though), but upon closer inspection it's very obvious to see where they had to dial things back from previous Halo games to make it possible. Like texture and particle effect quality, skyboxes being a flat .jpgs instead of actual 3D spaces, and small linear environments with millions of death barriers vs Halo Reach's and Halo 3's quite large play spaces that were open to exploration. You can actually very easily break Halo 4's campaign if you don't follow their scripted paths exactly.

Also can't emphasise enough how much I hate the art direction

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that exactly what it does?

Also, nice to see Halo 4's campaign/art design getting some much deserved love.

Usually it's a best effort kind of thing, then it fills remaining spots with whatever.
That's why Xbox MW2019 players are begging for full opt-out of crosssplay - something the PS4 version already has.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Did they say they are closing the project? They've brought so much good will by diving this deep on getting the game working correctly, and with Game Pass, continuing to work on this and adding Halo 5 makes a lot of sense.
They said recently that they don't plan to add Halo 5 to the collection:

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Sweet Stories

Wake up, John! Halo 4 is working its way to our Halo Insiders, esports competitions are going strong, Halo 5 is in the midst of a month of Global Double XP, and we get a closer look at an in-game item from Halo Infinite. There is a lot to cover, so let's dive straight into our latest Community...

[Halo 4] is the last Halo title we currently have planned for the collection (sorry to crush your Halo 5 in MCC dreams), so let's finish strong!

I think it might still come to PC, but as its own thing. Or it won't, and they'll just have people on PC stream it using Game Pass Ultimate.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
They said recently that they don't plan to add Halo 5 to the collection:

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Sweet Stories

Wake up, John! Halo 4 is working its way to our Halo Insiders, esports competitions are going strong, Halo 5 is in the midst of a month of Global Double XP, and we get a closer look at an in-game item from Halo Infinite. There is a lot to cover, so let's dive straight into our latest Community...

I think it might still come to PC, but as its own thing. Or it won't, and they'll just have people on PC stream it using Game Pass Ultimate.
Wow. That's super disappointing. I thought it would make sense to eventually integrate all Halo games into the MCC launcher to keep the community strong. They put so much work into it that I thought that was the direction

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Usually it's a best effort kind of thing, then it fills remaining spots with whatever.
That's why Xbox MW2019 players are begging for full opt-out of crosssplay - something the PS4 version already has.
There's actually no service standard for input matchmaking yet. It's entirely up to the developer on how it's implemented for now so you can't really compare games like that.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Looking mighty wide.
71wDr2w.png

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
That's what it means, no?

You can chose your preferred input in the options.

I just read up on it again and it's not applied globally, but on a per playlist basis:

mcc-crossplay3-2f29edc6a4d8441ca893ae0b4c95bf3b.jpg

I guess this is to prevent certain playlists to become wastelands, because I could imagine this splitting the playerbase quite a bit.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Not gunna lie, I feel like Halo 4 gets a somewhat underserved rep for linearity.

Halo 2 is no more expansive than Halo 4 and the majority of Halo 3, CE and Reach are very much corridor shooters as well.

It's only really a few moments of Halo 3 and a couple of levels in CE where the games actually open up.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Halo 4 is one of my favorite campaigns in the series tbh. I loveloveLOVED the art direction and cinematography, and the gameplay felt really solid. Didn't mind sprinting one bit. I also thought it had a really solid story.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gunna lie, I feel like Halo 4 gets a somewhat underserved rep for linearity.

Halo 2 is no more expansive than Halo 4 and the majority of Halo 3, CE and Reach are very much corridor shooters as well.

It's only really a few moments of Halo 3 and a couple of levels in CE where the games actually open up.
This is very true

Man would it be cool if a second look at halo 4 multiplayer made it secretly popular :)

I still have fond memories of some of the map design and just how great all the weapons sounded and felt

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually no service standard for input matchmaking yet. It's entirely up to the developer on how it's implemented for now so you can't really compare games like that.

You mean comparing Halo 4 and MW2019?
Because comparing MW2019 on X1 and PS4 I think is fair game. T
They could've given us full crossplay opt-out on both, not just PS4, but probably chose not to because of the smaller X1 install base.
I don't remember for sure but I think maybe Sony has a policy and they were forced to offer it on that version because of that as well.

I know this doesn't directly address input matchmaking, but most m/kb users come from PC over crossplay anyway.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes but you'll still get matched with other input methods if lobby doesn't get filled quick enough.
And this happens most of the time in MW2019 on Xbox for me, at least.
I think it's important that they are doing the work to have the cross-play systems in place. They can tweak details based on playlist popularity etc. later then. I think it's about finding the right balance between matchmaking times and a fair game, although Halo pretty much plays better on a controller anyway because of the aim assist.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
I got a code for the steam flight, but I play via microsoft store. Anyone want to trade codes?

Wanna trade? ^

Unfortunately, it seems it seems the MIcrosoft Store version is codeless? At least for the steam version I usually see the code in that page. And I'm not seeing any code for the windows store.

Unless you know how? I would gladly trade the code, lol.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

It's the constantly "press the button" objective that drag the entire game down for me. Like what the hell was up with that?

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
060vBC.jpg

This looks so nice on PC and gone are the blemishes of the console version such as rocks not loading in textures at a distance.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
There are some parts of Halo 4 campaign that I love. I like the human guns sounds also.

I've always said that Halo 4 just changed way too much at the same time. Which ended up making it feel not-Halo for many, or more like, it never felt "right" for many. I guess if they had kept something it would have been an easier transition.

But changing music, sound effects, artstyle, narration style (in previous Halo's the player/chief shared the same exact knowledge), add the controversial decisions hit indicators/ordnance. No wonder Halo 4 felt off; even if it had great moments.

Also as someone who has played all Halo's in Legendary (except Halo Wars 2 which I haven't had the chance to play). While the guns felt great, it became absurdily clear that the only viable strategy was to shot everything from distance kinda like other shooters. The usefulness of many guns was none. At least in Halo 2 I had the noob combo and the needler being useful against Brutes; and with the exception of the hangars in Cairo Station; never ran out of ammo. But in Halo 4 I frequently ran out of ammo; with the actual useful guns.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There are some parts of Halo 4 campaign that I love. I like the human guns sounds also.

I've always said that Halo 4 just changed way too much at the same time. Which ended up making it feel not-Halo for many, or more like, it never felt "right" for many. I guess if they had kept something it would have been an easier transition.

But changing music, sound effects, artstyle, narration style (in previous Halo's the player/chief shared the same exact knowledge), add the controversial decisions hit indicators/ordnance. No wonder Halo 4 felt off; even if it had great moments.

Also as someone who has played all Halo's in Legendary (except Halo Wars 2 which I haven't had the chance to play). While the guns felt great, it became absurdily clear that the only viable strategy was to shot everything from distance kinda like other shooters. The usefulness of many guns was none. At least in Halo 2 I had the noob combo and the needler being useful against Brutes; and with the exception of the hangars in Cairo Station; never ran out of ammo. But in Halo 4 I frequently ran out of ammo; with the actual useful guns.
Where did Halo 4 deviate from the bolded?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The other games have better designed encounters and AI behavior aswell as more open area's than Halo 4. In addition Halo 2's campaign as linear as it is is also a longer campaign where Halo 4 is shorter.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In for the campaign. The multiplayer wasn't even remotely memorable for me.

Hopefully we get Halo 5 eventually. The multiplayer's so damn good.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Support will still be happening for MCC, but Halo 5 is out of the question for both practical and technical reasons. For one Halo5 by itself is over 100GB. Porting Halo 5 to MCC would also require even more UI and under the hood work for both MCC and Halo 5 as it doesn't support splitscreen, only uses dedicated servers for co-op and custom games, and porting over the REQ system which means (more than likely) bringing in paid lootboxes to MCC which 343i said they will never do for MCC.

343i already said aswell that adding Reach to MCC already brought the game dangerously close to the Xbox One's memory limits, so it's just not feasible and worth the trouble. At this point I want the MCC team to focus on bug fix's for the games.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
btw imo Halo 4 multiplayer is genuinely one of the best ones in terms of weapon sandbox, all the COD perks and progression system, random weapon drops and ordnance it launched with rightfully soured a lot of people on the game but that stuff got toned way down over time, and modes were added with it completely removed, and if you play those it feels super smooth and good. I really hope people will give it a second chance with this release becasue it's definitely not as bad as you remember (the maps are kinda weak though)
Yeah, it's a blast to play now on MCC, and is as smooth to play (gunplay wise) as the others. The movement is still kind of, "slippery"? If that makes sense? But, all in all, I very much enjoy H4's multiplayer when I feel like relaxing for a couple hours, especially with its BTB. The DMR though, while not as overwhelmingly dominant as it was when the game first came out, is still an absolute monster to both use and go up against.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Support will still be happening for MCC, but Halo 5 is out of the question for both practical and technical reasons. For one Halo5 by itself is over 100GB. Porting Halo 5 to MCC would also require even more UI and under the hood work for both MCC and Halo 5 as it doesn't support splitscreen, only uses dedicated servers for co-op and custom games, and porting over the REQ system which means (more than likely) bringing in paid lootboxes to MCC which 343i said they will never do for MCC.

343i already said aswell that adding Reach to MCC already brought the game dangerously close to the Xbox One's memory limits, so it's just not feasible and worth the trouble. At this point I want the MCC team to focus on bug fix's for the games.
I would like see Halo 5 ported to PC as a stand alone game.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
The other games have better designed encounters and AI behavior aswell as more open area's than Halo 4. In addition Halo 2's campaign as linear as it is is also a longer campaign where Halo 4 is shorter.
The combat encounters are so much worse because of how limiting the Promethean designs are. Their behavior restricts your ability to use the entire sandbox and it drives me crazy. You can't reliably kill crawlers with anything but a headshot. You can't kill knights with melees because they teleport around and frequently have one hit kill weaponry. A lot of the time, you can't use grenades on them, either, because they're paired with watchers. After you start to encounter them regularly, the game just isn't that well-designed becuase of how much it clamps down on how you can handle the situation in front of you.

The game is at its best when you're fighting Covenant enemies, but it takes a lot of bad traits from Reach, including the dumbing down of their behavior. It ends up being this facsimile of Halo. It looks like Halo when you're fighting the Covenant (although the new designs are hideous and very not Halo), but then you realize something is off because Elites don't flank like they should and small things like that make it a worse experience.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat encounters are so much worse because of how limiting the Promethean designs are. Their behavior restricts your ability to use the entire sandbox and it drives me crazy. You can't reliably kill crawlers with anything but a headshot. You can't kill knights with melees because they teleport around and frequently have one hit kill weaponry. A lot of the time, you can't use grenades on them, either, because they're paired with watchers. After you start to encounter them regularly, the game just isn't that well-designed becuase of how much it clamps down on how you can handle the situation in front of you.

The game is at its best when you're fighting Covenant enemies, but it takes a lot of bad traits from Reach, including the dumbing down of their behavior. It ends up being this facsimile of Halo. It looks like Halo when you're fighting the Covenant (although the new designs are hideous and very not Halo), but then you realize something is off because Elites don't flank like they should and small things like that make it a worse experience.

Exactly.

Halo 4 isn't a bad game nor is the campaign bad, but when it comes to these specific area's they don't match the quality of the previous game's due to certain design decisions. They were improved in Halo 5 atleast but not fixed either.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
You mean comparing Halo 4 and MW2019?
Because comparing MW2019 on X1 and PS4 I think is fair game. T
They could've given us full crossplay opt-out on both, not just PS4, but probably chose not to because of the smaller X1 install base.
I don't remember for sure but I think maybe Sony has a policy and they were forced to offer it on that version because of that as well.

I know this doesn't directly address input matchmaking, but most m/kb users come from PC over crossplay anyway.
I was strictly only referring to how matchmaking lobbies are filled regarding input devices, not crossplay switches.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Is Skill-Based Matchmaking a thing in MCC? Sure feels like it if not, had one solid game then for the rest of the night I'm getting stomped by these elite 4-man squads.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Extremely good looking game considering it's an x360 port. My GPU fan rarely even spins up playing at 4k/60.

Anyone else get the window disappearing when they alt-tab btw? The game is still running, but there's no icon - no way to alt-tab back.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 does indeed look stunning at times on PC, however, there are still a few issues that need to be sorted out.

1. The lighting on the final cutscene of the mission "Reclaimer" is completely broken and does not accurately reflect how it looked on Xbox 360. This issue was present back when I played through the campaign on the original Xbox One version of the MCC, and I'm sad to see that it has been brought forward to the present.

How it looked on Xbox 360:
KCfQPIP.png

How it looks now:
sLjdW0P.png

2. The Banshee does not feel good to control with a mouse. If you try aiming straight up or down, you need to repeatedly drag your mouse up or down, or else the Banshee will "straighten" itself out. This makes it very difficult to aim low at enemies below you. Also, you're not able to move your crosshairs during the middle of a Banshee flip, however, once the flip is over the game seems to automatically adjust the Banshee's direction to an input you may have entered in the middle of the flip? It's hard to explain, but it does not feel good. Try flying the Banshee in Halo Reach and doing some flips while trying to adjust your aim mid-flip, it is night and day compared to how it currently is in Halo 4. This seems to be accurate to how the Banshee controls in the original 360 version, but it doesn't translate well to mouse controls.

3. The Scorpion turret controls with a mouse are back to the awful sluggish controls from Halo Reach. Y'all got this right in every other game! Load up any mission with the Scorpion tank in Halo 3 and once again the difference is night and day compared it how it currently is in Halo 4.

Last edited:

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Halo 4 does indeed look stunning at times on PC, however, there are still a few issues that need to be sorted out.

1. The lighting on the final cutscene of the mission "Reclaimer" is completely broken and does not accurately reflect how it looked on Xbox 360. This issue was present back when I played through the campaign on the original Xbox One version of the MCC, and I'm sad to see that it has been brought forward to the present.

How it looked on Xbox 360:
KCfQPIP.png

How it looks now:
sLjdW0P.png

2. The Banshee does not feel good to control with a mouse. If you try aiming straight up or down, you need to repeatedly drag your mouse up or down, or else the Banshee will "straighten" itself out. This makes it very difficult to aim low at enemies below you. Also, you're not able to move your crosshairs during the middle of a Banshee flip, however, once the flip is over the game seems to automatically adjust the Banshee's direction to an input you may have entered in the middle of the flip? It's hard to explain, but it does not feel good. Try flying the Banshee in Halo Reach and doing some flips while trying to adjust your aim mid-flip, it is night and day compared to how it currently is in Halo 4. This seems to be accurate to how the Banshee controls in the original 360 version, but it doesn't translate well to mouse controls.

3. The Scorpion turret controls with a mouse are back to the awful sluggish controls from Halo Reach. Y'all got this right in every other game! Load up any mission with the Scorpion tank in Halo 3 and once again the difference is night and day compared it how it currently is in Halo 4.

Definitely report these on Waypoint.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Was never really a fan of halo 4 so can't see myself setting this up but I am very excited for cross play to hit. Should be a huge addition and and maintaining population. Hope that aspect is holding up well!

Hopefully crossplay will be enabled for all games and not just halo 4 initially?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Was never really a fan of halo 4 so can't see myself setting this up but I am very excited for cross play to hit. Should be a huge addition and and maintaining population. Hope that aspect is holding up well!

Hopefully crossplay will be enabled for all games and not just halo 4 initially?
This is a flight that only includes Halo 4, that's why Halo 4 is the only one with crossplay. When Halo 4 hits retail it will be enabled for all of the MCC

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely report these on Waypoint.
Definitely plan to after I finish all of the available campaign missions to scope out any other issues, but after all of these years, I have my doubts they'll fix the lighting in that cutscene. Another issue pertaining to Halo 3 that has been around since the launch of the MCC is the lip sync in cutscenes, it's just not right, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else mention it. Compared to the 360 original, the MCC version has these extra lip flaps that throw off the lip sync that makes it look like a poorly dubbed old kung-fu movie. You can see it in this cutscene whenever Johnson speaks.

MCC: https://youtu.be/cmXEiDqjjj8?t=3043
360: https://youtu.be/sPg2WfC6wIw?t=22

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Flight has been extended to November 6th and Reach has been added.
  • NEW - Our flight patch brings some additional goals for this flight! Along with Crossplay and Advanced Graphics Options for PC, our Reach content features newly updated interpolation work to bring the title closer to our recent releases. We've also implemented some fixes for the existing Halo 4 Flight content, additional information on these fixes can be found on our Halo 4 Known Issues page.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Have they said anything about improving the high refresh support on PC in the future? I assume they're not just gonna dump the janky implementations on Xbox.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
Flight has been extended to November 6th and Reach has been added.
  • NEW - Our flight patch brings some additional goals for this flight! Along with Crossplay and Advanced Graphics Options for PC, our Reach content features newly updated interpolation work to bring the title closer to our recent releases. We've also implemented some fixes for the existing Halo 4 Flight content, additional information on these fixes can be found on our Halo 4 Known Issues page.
Just updated the flight on PC and Reach's unlimited framerate is now perfect. Plays as smooth now as 1-4 at 144hz.

Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer is the only one left to be updated.