• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 3 still has one of the best uses of light bloom I've seen in a game, it gives it this angelic look throughout the campaign that just never gets old for me plus the explosions look oh so nice with it. It's stunning how well this game holds up visually even with those 2007-era character models. Halo 3 really is Halo at it's best to me. Yeah, the Brutes aren't as fun to fight as Elites and the BR can get annoying trying to land shots, but it's vehicle play is just sublime. I really hope Infinite can recapture that. Something about sprint and armor abilities just gutted the vehicle combat in Reach/4/5.

I had the weirdest thing happen to me earlier today though, I was playing for like 4 or 5 hours with my gamepad over bluetooth and I noticed the framerate had some noticeable stutter going on like it wasn't running the 144hz my monitor said it was. Similar to the other games in the collection upon release.

However, then my batteries died so I plugged my gamepad in over usb and low & behold the framerate instantly smoothed out. Full 144 fps without any stutter or frame drops whatsoever. It was beautiful. I kind of want to try the same thing out with the other games and see how they perform.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Halo is fun and 3 especially is really good, but I'm wondering how they are going to evolve it for Halo infinite.

Because back in the day, Master Chief felt like the epitome of the space marine super soldier badass, right? I'm not saying he was necessarily the BEST or whatever, but he felt like the one I thought to when I imagined a space marine.

Now, that's Doomguy from DOOM 2016 and Eternal. Halo is still really fun, but it is weird to go back to the guy that used to be considered THE space marine and feel like he isn't to snuff. Chief walks super slow, he only carries two guns at a time, he has a standard looking melee and no other major ability.

There's a lot of controversy about how Halo 4 and 5 followed the tread of Call of Duty, adding sprint and later aim-down-sights mechanics, and I agree with those who feel that was a mistake. But I honestly think that if Infinite did that but took after the modern DOOM series, that'd be a major step in the right direction. You can't make him as crazy as Doomguy, but it something to make feel a bit less like a relic of the past.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
User banned (1 week): Platform warring, off-topic derailing, previous similar infractions
Halo multiplayer is essentially a consolized and dumbed down version of Unreal Tournament.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I've decided that I don't want the MCC, but would rather just have one of the Halo games to satiate any Halo itch.

If you had to pick one Halo game from the collection, which do you think would be the best choice?

Halo 3? Reach? Halo 2 Anniversary? 4?

Halo 3, it's a masterpiece. Although, it is so good you'll find it difficult to not go back to the rest of the series.

Cadmium Cat

Apr 9, 2020
Help!! When I opened up the MCC collection it told me the game was "offline" so the MS store is now forcing me to redownload I attempted to uninstall the game first before redownloading but now I cannot get my space back on my ssd. The program doesn't show up anywhere at all. I can't even manually delete the files

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Took a quick peek at theater, shame to see it hasn't really been improved since the days of the original (I think?). Timeline scrubbing would've been nice, and a proper mouse+keyboard UI. That said, wasn't there a slow-motion toggle before? I could swear there was, but I can't seem to find anything wrt that.

e: oh yeah, it was right trigger on the controller. Man, the theater sucks with m+kb. That's a bummer.

e2: also, tried playing with the controller, but man, I've really grown to hate playing shooters or first-person games in particular on a controller. Back to m+kb for me, I guess. Practice makes perfect.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Played the first 3 levels. Absolutely superb, flawless port. Great audio, runs smoothly and beautifully in 4K.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
r3mbAF8.png

How do I keep forgetting this is a thing

Nothing better than seeing this after literally matchmaking for 15 minutes

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can i skip Halo CE and 2 and go straight to this one? As a PC only player i never really got into Halo.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Can i skip Halo CE and 2 and go straight to this one? As a PC only player i never really got into Halo.
No. Don't do that. Come enjoy the multiplayer though.

I really just wouldn't skip. Don't give into the launch hype. Play some multiplayer and take your time playing through the campaigns.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I get some stuttering at the beginning of every match.

I'm running a 2080ti 9700k, 1080p DSR 4K at 141 fps

Why is this happening to me.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
I definitely think Halo 3 will keep people around longer than usual for these game launches.

Halo 2 is my favorite Halo but for some reason Halo 3 multiplayer has an extra element of excitement. I don't know what it is.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As in campaign? I recommend you play them all, as they're all great and the story will have a bigger impact when you play Halo 3.

Yeah campaign i played CE ages ago with the first pc version but i don't remember anything about it only that the levels felt a bit repetive and samey.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
God this felt good at 110 FOV. I remember flighting and being unable to go beyond 60 which was rough. 110 is a revelation.

Two questions, though:

1) Is there a file share or way to get all the old classic custom gametypes + maps (Duck Hunt, Halo on Halo, Ghostbusters, etc)? Hoping to do a custom game night but want to make sure I've got everything. I've found the 'Find Player' option but everytime I punch in a gamertag from this list it says 'player not found'. Can't even find my friends. Any ideas why? Anti-cheat failed so I couldn't do anything :/ Had to move it to another drive to verify and run :/

2) Through PC Game Pass is it necessary to have the entire Master Chief collection installed or can you just do Halo 3? I've currently got it all installed at over 70gb but hoping to cut down/convince more friends to download just 3.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Halo 2 is my favorite Halo but for some reason Halo 3 multiplayer has an extra element of excitement. I don't know what it is.

For me, at least, it has a certain wackiness that none of the other Halo games have, and the physics engine (and the generous amount of physics objects in some of the levels) is a big part of it. Already had multiple amazing BTB moments with people dying left and right due to debris and flying warthogs and shit.

I feel like this is chaotic Halo at its best, and chaos is the reason why I like these games as much as I do.

Sparse

Oct 27, 2017
God this feels like coming home. Played upto The Ark on legendary with my brother for the first time since it originally came out. So comfy.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Got to play some Halo 3 today. It was pretty damn sweet. Ultrawide with a much higher FOV and unlimited fps. It was so damn smooth. Reliving the campaign again is awesome. Online was great too but I sure did get my ass kicked. It's been a while, but those kb/m snipers were too much for me on controller. Once/if big team battle comes back, i'm f'n in. just give me a damn warthog to drive and im good for hours.

Big team battle is 8v8 social playlist, my group played it all night.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Is it time to go through all of the Halo games on Legendary once more

... yes it is

Just being able to use a mouse makes Legendary so much easier. I remember back on release how we struggled getting through the games, but now it has not really been a problem at all. Halo 2 is slightly harder since no one is allowed to die, but that just made it more fun and actually gave us a bit of a challenge. :P

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Played my first Halo 3 BTB on rats nest.

I was getting merked. And it is glorious. Playing with a mouse is a little weird but omg the game is still a blast. Gimme that Valhalla goodness.

Can't wait to go through the campaigns again, especially H2A since I haven't played it with the updates yet. Those cinematics yummy. It's been so long since I've played you old friend :)

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah you totally could but I recommend loading up 'The silent cartographer' from Halo 1, see if the first 15 mins suckers you in. If so just start Halo 1 from scratch.

If you end up playing Halo 1 and at the halfway mark notice the level design falls off a cliff... just skip ahead to the last mission and read a quick story synopsis.

if the game is so dated even the Silent Cartographer into doesn't draw you in... then yeah totally just skip to Halo 3.

the reason I use that as an example is... it was the demo mission and that first 15 mins suckered in a lot of fans for the franchise. I honestly dont know how well it would have aged though.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Does anybody know what the 'legacy' skull is in the customisation? I remember it was only for bungee employees, was there a certain criteria I had to meet to unlock it ? ( like play halo 3 before) or is it just unlocked by everyone by default

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Does anybody know what the 'legacy' skull is in the customisation? I remember it was only for bungee employees, was there a certain criteria I had to meet to unlock it ? ( like play halo 3 before) or is it just unlocked by everyone by default
If you're talking about the flaming helmet for Halo 3, then yeah that was unlocked for everybody.