• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of insane. I am imagining the campaign possibilities.

To be honest, I mostly just want someone to give a RE-HD treatment to Halo CE, where give HD textures to the environment but keep to the original art direction, and that hasn't quite happened yet

but with this, they can do so much. I'm imagining a Halo 3 campaign with both Brutes AND Elites. Hell, you could do a lot with all the campaigns. A SVP3 type remake for all the Halo's.

I'm really happy with how bright the future looks for Halo.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mods are going to be huge in some months! I really hope 343i can create some kind of official mod browser in MCC for Xbox & PC like on Skyrim/Fallout. That would simply be incredible.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
some of this stuff is insane and I can't wait to see where it goes

will they ever make some of the mod work playable on console?

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid and Halo making a triumphant return in the same year? Never would have believed it. So Metroid already stuck the landing, now fingers crossed for Infinite (mostly campaign, MP will be amazing going by the tech preview)
The MCC is just such amazing value, and it's insane to me how they're still updating it, and supporting the community. Looking forward to what we're going to see in terms of mods.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I managed to get light emission materials working in H3, they weren't a standard option in shaders like previous games but it works perfectly in a round about way.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I managed to get light emission materials working in H3, they weren't a standard option in shaders like previous games but it works perfectly in a round about way.

đź‘€

I might need to seal your secrets. I've been finishing up my HCE maps from YEARS ago but just releasing them in H3 instead is looking more and more exciting...

Do we know if H3 has syncing devices (switches/lightbridges/etc)?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I am excited for the eventual MCC all campaigns in one playthrough, all in Halo 3 with destructible vehicles in CE and the pistol being good in all of them :D

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Man, perhaps a pipedream, buy really hope 343i throws console players a massive bone here and officially implements some of these mods, tweaks, and UGC. Backported maps would be amazing

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
đź‘€

I might need to seal your secrets. I've been finishing up my HCE maps from YEARS ago but just releasing them in H3 instead is looking more and more exciting...

Do we know if H3 has syncing devices (switches/lightbridges/etc)?
Happy to share with all :) Would you happen to be Lightning from back in the CE days or is the name just a coincidence? I'm always surprised when I see folks from the old days around… especially on Era, if you are them. I was 12-15 back in the old CE days and now I'm almost 30 so I feel like I've been tinkering with Halo stuff for almost all my life at this point.

Got any good resources for bitmaps/shaders? It's the last thing eluding me atm
There's no good resources out there at all, I'm just trying to figure stuff out and I've just been joining discord's to spread what I've discovered and learn from others too. The community is going hard on trying to discover everything.

Also, tweaked the lighting and really love how lighting looks and works in Halo 3:

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is it possible to download these on the Xbox version of MCC?
No. Without any kind of system to import custom map files built directly into the game (something along the lines of the console mods for Skyrim), there's no way you can just add content to it. No forge levels aren't the same thing.
And if you thinking was any unofficial methods, even more no, the Xbox One has proven to be very air tight.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
btw you can pretty much direct import Halo CE maps into Halo 3

*Not mine

h34.png

This is going to be a really dumb question. I always thought the joke of copy and pasting a level from a game into another was a highly reductive take on the situation and that in reality it's very difficult. But then how come it's so easily done with a mod?

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is going to be a really dumb question. I always thought the joke of copy and pasting a level from a game into another was a highly reductive take on the situation and that in reality it's very difficult. But then how come it's so easily done with a mod?
Might be mistaken but I believe the engines used in the Halo games are just iterations of each other. Very similar across all titles

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Might be mistaken but I believe the engines used in the Halo games are just iterations of each other. Very similar across all titles
Something like that, yeah. The data that makes up levels can be broken down into the same primitive structures, and then imported back into the other tools. It helps that the tools themselves would have been iterations of each other as well.
You can do kind of the same thing between any Quake based game (including Doom3 somewhat and the Source engine) up to a point. You do lose some aspects, obviously anything unique to that game will need to be reconstructed. Notably with Halo, it seems the level meshes transfer, and even some aspects of the lighting, but any map objects such as weapons and player spawns need redoing by hand? That's what it looks like currently, anyway.

It's not a simple copy and paste, but with some work you can break the process down into the same repeatable steps.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Woah, this is insanely cool. The fact that maps can be ported between games without too much fuss is mind blowing. Maybe a silly question but would it be possible for modded maps etc to go on peoples fileshares so console players can get access to them or is this all in a closed off environment?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Woah, this is insanely cool. The fact that maps can be ported between games without too much fuss is mind blowing. Maybe a silly question but would it be possible for modded maps etc to go on peoples fileshares so console players can get access to them or is this all in a closed off environment?
Right now there's no real way to share maps easily at all, you have to rename a map to replace one of the current ones to load it ingame. They have talked about giving us Steam Workshop support in the future to share maps and have them appear properly as functional maps ingame but that doesn't look like anytime soon and it doesn't look like it would support anything other than the Steam/PC version.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Right now there's no real way to share maps easily at all, you have to rename a map to replace one of the current ones to load it ingame. They have talked about giving us Steam Workshop support in the future to share maps and have them appear properly as functional maps ingame but that doesn't look like anytime soon and it doesn't look like it would support anything other than the Steam/PC version.

Makes sense and kind of what I thought! Either way still incredibly cool!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Workshop is coming once all the tools are out

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Workshop is coming once all the tools are out
Yeah, I imagine they'll all be out and out for a while THEN we get workshop a few months after that. Still, the amount of stuff you have to do to get maps to load ingame kind of sucks right now. I wonder if they'll let us set custom icons and such too for maps.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I imagine they'll all be out and out for a while THEN we get workshop a few months after that. Still, the amount of stuff you have to do to get maps to load ingame kind of sucks right now. I wonder if they'll let us set custom icons and such too for maps.
From what Farn was saying they want it out when or very soon after all tools are out. They are working on the last of them + workshop + in-game UI updates at the same time

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means Halo CE can be basically remade in the Halo 3 engine.

I just want Halo CE with upgraded graphics that don't turn the game into visual soup like the Anniversary version does, guys, please

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means Halo CE can be basically remade in the Halo 3 engine.

I just want Halo CE with upgraded graphics that don't turn the game into visual soup like the Anniversary version does, guys, please
Someone is working on getting the first level ported over with the OG chief model