• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I am not normally one to do the whole "watch one movie every day in the month of October," mostly because I never get around to compiling a list ahead of time so it falls apart. I finally did it this year, and came up with the following list.

https://letterboxd.com/darthorange/list/halloweenie-2020/

I am going for pretty much anything Halloween vibe, no specific larger theme or subgenre. Some fun picks in there that I haven't seen in a minute, some that I really enjoy, and some I haven't ever seen. Some hard cuts I ended up having to make, mostly because I have already seen them a lot and although they are favorites, there are only so many days and spots for nostalgia picks. Hard cuts I made that y'all should watch if you haven't:

• From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Phantoms
  • It and It Chapter 2
  • The Mummy and The Mummy Returns
  • El laberinto del fauno
  • El espinazo del diablo
  • Get Out
  • The Lighthouse
  • The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy
  • Club Dread

Anyway, was wondering if y'all had lists or movies you are planning to watch this Halloween season.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any hidden gems on Shudder? I haven't taken a look at them in a couple years.

I don't have any sort of list right now, but I know The Changeling and Trick 'r Treat will be in the rotation.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely seems like you're leaning more towards actual horror stuff, but my wife and I always like to watch Nightmare Before Christmas around Halloween.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're Next and Return of the Living Dead are two discoveries we have made in the last couple of years that have become absolute mainstays that will always be watched in October. Other necessities are Halloween, Trick r Treat and Friday the 13th. From there it varies.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I did this last year after a lifetime of generally thinking horror movies are garbage.

While I did find a few gems, my suspicions were confirmed.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
the theme i wanna do this year is Underwater terror
so ive been looking for sea monster movies and lovecratian movies dealing with the ocean

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and Haunted Honeymoon

my wife just hates horror

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Last year I did the challenge for the first time and I had a great time. This was my 2019 list

Here is the list for this year so far: 2020

Last year I had a blast with the "funny" ones like The Banana Splits Movie and Leprechaun so for this year added some gems like Pirahna 3D and Rubber that I will be watching for the first time.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Can't recommend a Shudder subscription enough. They've been a bright spot in the pandemic, particularly with the little gem Host which might be the best piece of quarantainment to come out.

This Friday:

October 1st:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like doing a list beforehand as we like to kinda just wing it night to night. My wife and I also just don't have the time to squeeze 31 movies into 31 days so we just start in September. Here's what we've watched so far:

Tales from the Darkside
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
House (1985)
The Descent
The Frighteners

I've seen a TON of horror movies but my wife likes it when we are both watching something for the first time so I'm trying to do mostly stuff that is new to me this year(although I had seen The Descent before but it had been a while). Looking forward to this thread to show me some new stuff!

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Ones I try to watch
Halloween
Halloween Season of the Witch
The Fog
Creepshow
Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3
Children of the Corn

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up Kill, Baby, Kill (1966) on blu-ray recently, so will probably save that for next month, I guess. Not going to plan it out beyond that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was only able to fit 31 movies into a single October once before and it was a real grind...so many times I ended up starting a movie late at night and couldn't finish until the following day, or would skip a night and then have to double the next day. I saw some cool stuff but it just wasn't an ideal way to really enjoy the films. Even last year, when I did a 31-night Twilight Zone marathon, that was tough to keep up with and those are 20 minute episodes!

So most years I limit it to around 15-20 movies, this year I'm probably just doing 13, a chunk of which be Friday the 13ths.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just leave the TV on 24-hour news for the entire month, since it'll almost certainly be scarier than any horror film.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movies are subject to change

1 Brightburn

2 Scream 4

3 The Girl with All the Gifts

4 The Platform

5 Host

6 The Babysitter

7 The Babysitter: Killer Queen

8 Terrifier 2 (if it's out)

9 A Color out of Space

10 The Rental

11 The Grudge 2

12 Event Horizon

13 Dawn of the Dead (original)

14 Friday the 13th Part 6

15 Wes Craven's New Nightmare

16 Gremlins 2

17 Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

18 The Ring (2003)

19 The Others

20 The Hills Have Eyes

21 Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

22 Hocus Pocus

23 Don't Look Under the Bed

24 Saw 2

25 Cloverfield

26 The Mist

27 Terrifier 1

28 28 Weeks Later

29 Aliens

30 AVP

31 Ghost Ship

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually just watch the classics like Addams Family and Hocus Pocus. As well as animated movies like a lot of Tim Burton movies.

Freeform has their Halloween marathon every year and I just turn that on to watch them, it's especially good for background noise.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Are there any hidden gems on Shudder? I haven't taken a look at them in a couple years.

One Cut of the Dead.

Kamera-o-tomeru-na-japanese-movie-poster-md.jpg

It's been on Shudder forever, so you may have already watched it, but everyone should watch it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Damnnn, yall actually plan out your movies ahead of time? That's impressive.

I have some recommendations, but nothing set yet (if anyone wants to chime in on this list of MUST WATCHES, I'd appreciate it).

New ones i've added so far:
- Bright Burn
- Doctor Sleep
- Gretel and Hansel
- Invisible Man
- Cape Fear
- Good Night Mommy
- The Recall
- Vivarium
- The Babysitter Killer Queen
- Killer Joe
- Take Shelter
- The Pact

Then I have a huge list of old recommendations from previous years I haven't gotten to. I'll post later.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Here's mine:

letterboxd.com

Halloween Movie Jam 2020

A list of 48 films compiled on Letterboxd, including Color Out of Space (2019), House (1977), The Beach House (2019), Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) and The Witches of Eastwick (1987).

A few movies I've seen and my fiancé hasn't and then a ton of stuff Neither of us have seen. It's over 31 cause we start in September usually and then like the option to veto.

This year I built a spreadsheet app that randomly picks the movie for the night and removes it from the list.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

I don't have any sort of list right now, but I know The Changeling and Trick 'r Treat will be in the rotation.

Terrified is one of the best ghost stories in years, really great. One Cut of the Dead, Summer of 84, Blood Quantum, Belzebuth

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have been doing this every year since I was a kid and they would play marathons on Halloween night. Last year I managed over 130 horror movies in October and several series on top of that.

This year is different and a first for me. My 11 & 13yr old daughters want to participate. They have always had a strong stomach for scary/horror related stuff. Still, I am combing through my extensive collection trying to curate a top 10 list to hopefully watch with the throughout them month. Poltergeist is the only one for sure.

My plan this year was to marathon a few entire series, starting with Puppet Master, Hellraiser, and Phantasam.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
As far as new stuff

1) Monsterland - new horror anthology series on Hulu in October based on Nathan Ballingrud's collection North American Lake Monsters

2) Babysitter - Killer Queen. Didn't like the first one at all but whatever... every horror marathon needs a few bad movies to be enjoyed with lots of booze

Jun 10, 2018
Ernest Scared Stupid
1982 The Thing
Trick R Treat
Hatchet Series
Night of the Demons (1, 2, and 09 remake)
Scooby Doo (all Halloween themed movies)
Midnight Meat Train
Nightmare Before Christmas
Coraline
Beetlejuice

That's what I got so far. Still adding to it leading up to next month (this list also doesn't include the yearly staple of binge watching Goosebumps/Beyond Belief).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
DarthOrange ThirstyFly has been doing 31 Days of Horror movie threads for like a decade between here and the old site, so just wait a day or two for that thread to go up :p

My list may change a bit before October starts, but it looks like this for now.
letterboxd.com

31 Days of Horror

A list of 35 films compiled on Letterboxd, including Shutter (2004), The People Under the Stairs (1991), Misery (1990), The Vanishing (1988) and Tales from the Hood (1995).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Right now my definite are:

• The Innocents
  • Doctor Sleep
  • Butt Boy
  • Zombie Land: Double Tap
  • Color Out of Space
  • The Lodge
  • In Fabric
  • Violence Voyager
  • Pray
  • The Haunting (Original)
  • 10 Rillington Place
I think my Letterboxd list has about 80 options? I'll likely get unintentionally close to 31 and then close the gap. Gotta make time for "Over The Garden Wall" too.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I think the only movie we consistently watch every October is The Thing (1982). We usually try to watch horror movies we haven't seen before during the month as well, but I haven't kept up with movies lately, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Here's 31+:

• The Thing (1982)
  • Halloween (1978)
  • They Live
  • Stake Land
  • Creepshow
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Dead Alive
  • Evil Dead 2
  • It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated (TV Series)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  • Land of the Dead
  • The Omen
  • The Exorcist
  • Poltergeist (1982)
  • Begotten
  • Sinister
  • Ghost Story
  • Altered States
  • Looker
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
  • The Ring
  • Re-Animator
  • The Frighteners
  • The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)
  • The Monster Squad
  • X-Files (TV Series)
  • Millenium (TV Series)
  • Scary Godmother
  • The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
  • The Watcher in the Woods

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still working on my list, but man it's gotten to the point where I watch horror movies only in October and then save every horror movie until the next October. I'm still working on the list to choose form but so far I have this:

Train to Busan
Peninsula
Deep Blue Sea 3
Sea Fever
Dead By Dawn
Underwater
The Hunt
The Grudge (2020)
The Gallows Act 2
Doctor Sleep
The Addams Family (2019)
Countdown
Ready or Not
It Chapter 2
Pandorum
47 Meters Down Uncaged
Ma
Doom Annihilation
Midsommar
The Curse of La Llorona
Pet Sematary (2019)
The Babysitter Killer Queen
#Alive
1BR
The Boy

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nekrotronic
Bram Stoker's Dracula
From Dusk Till Dawn
You're Next
Ready or Not
Nightmare Before Christmas
Return of the Living Dead
Trick R Treat
Mr Vampire
Dog Soldiers
An American Werewolf in London
Predator
Alien
Aliens
The Exorcist
The Thing (1982)
The Blob (1988)
The Fly (1986)
Evil Dead (2013)
The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Friday the 13th
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Halloween 3 Season if the Witch
Halloween (1978)

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I Did this a few years back. I watched two horror movies from every decade starting with the 1920s. Ended up seeing some really great films.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't done my list yet but I'm going for a remake theme this year. I'm going to look up some decent (hopefully) remakes to add to the list this year. I will have the staples on there like Halloween and Halloween 3, but I want to try to get a good mix of classics and first time views in as well.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
That's... that's insane.
I can't even fathom how this is remotely possible, even with all the free time in the world and watching at double speed.

Most older movies are around 90 minutes. During an 8 hour shift I could knock out 4-5 easily. So just watching during work was 20ish movies a week. Then I had after work and weekends on top of that. Oddly, I watch so many movies and TV shows while working that I generally do not watch anything after work or on the weekends unless I am painting (my hobby).

I would say my regular daily average is 3 movies a day, sometimes 4 depending on how long they are. So I watch 60 movies every month at the very least but probably much closer to 80 I would guess.

Yeah, it's kind of weird I know. The good news is that my tastes have expanded greatly over time and I like pretty much everything.

In the past 2 days I have watched the following while working:

Krush Groove 1985
Moby Dick 1956
Grizzly 1976
Grabbers 2012
Partners 1982
No Escape 1994
The Monster and the Girl 1941

...and I already have a loose idea of what I'll watch tomorrow but I frequently pick movies based on my mood or figure out a theme like "movies about the end of the world" or "original then remakes".

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I don't like doing a list beforehand as we like to kinda just wing it night to night. My wife and I also just don't have the time to squeeze 31 movies into 31 days so we just start in September. Here's what we've watched so far:

Tales from the Darkside
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
House (1985)
The Descent
The Frighteners

I've seen a TON of horror movies but my wife likes it when we are both watching something for the first time so I'm trying to do mostly stuff that is new to me this year(although I had seen The Descent before but it had been a while). Looking forward to this thread to show me some new stuff!
What did you re-think of the Descent? I think its the greatest horror movie of all time. Now its been a few years though almost afraid to watch it to ruin how good I think it is.

Edit but yeah I will be participating again this year. Will post my list shortly

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have never participated in these, even at the old place, but I'm doing it this year. Maybe it'll give me some semblance to get some sort of Halloween spirit normalcy during this shitty year.

Status
Not open for further replies.