• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
He's solved the case!

Even when people in comments are pointing out Black Christmas, and saying Carpenter even references BC as an influence in a Halloween audio commentary, this Owen guy is saying that doesn't mean Carpenter wasn't subconsciously ripping off TCM.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even when people in comments are pointing out Black Christmas, and saying Carpenter even references BC as an influence in a Halloween audio commentary, this Owen guy is saying that doesn't mean Carpenter wasn't subconsciously ripping off TCM.

Besides, what is even his point? Every movie steals from/is influenced by/is an amalgamation of past movies.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It's somehow a million times sadder too where he is a paid "professional" writer and not some random internet poster.

And the dude's getting stuff wrong about the original Halloween too, describing Michael as wearing an asylum jumpsuit. Should've just stepped back from this one.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Halloween has more Psycho and Black Christmas in its veins than TCM 74.

I'm sure Halloween 78 would still exist in a universe where Hooper never made TCM.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm not sure what I think of it yet. Going to rewatch before decide. Definitely didn't love it as much as the 2018 one

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah... I hadn't thought too much about this in the moment, but now...

This isn't stupid? Marion was attacked by Myers while with Loomis. She probably formed some sort of connection with Loomis after Mikey was captured. If anything she said it because she knows how strongly Loomis would want him dead if he were there.

Oct 27, 2017
All love and respect to everyone who enjoyed this. In a world where Halloween 6 and those awful 90's-early 2000's Halloweens exist, this is the worst one. They turned my graceful, subtle boy into Jason fucking Voorhees, and I love Jason, but Mikey ain't him.

I've always enjoyed his subtlety, his precision, his stalking. Someone here said that Michael was like a ghost you see out of the corner of your eye, and I really enjoy that analogy. I can't find the right words to describe why I don't like him in this film other than to say he's one trip to a summer camp away from bashing a girl in her sleeping bag into a tree covered in barbed wire and then chanting "ECW! ECW!".

And I felt it was super on the nose and screaming "YOU FOOLS! THE REAL MONSTER IS MAAAAAAAN. Michael is a reflection of us alllllll!"

The folks who enjoyed it, that's awesome and I'm stoked you enjoyed it. I just kept hearing Judd Crandall in my head saying "Sometimes dead is bettah..."

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't stupid? Marion was attacked by Myers while with Loomis. She probably formed some sort of connection with Loomis after Mikey was captured. If anything she said it because she knows how strongly Loomis would want him dead if he were there.

You're filling in blanks yourself on that one though.

Let me ask you, do you think anyone would have brought up the line if she said, "This is for that night!" rather than specifically saying it's for Loomis?

Part of why it's stood out to me now is that I suppose I truly would have liked to have learned more about Chambers' history with Loomis since that night. Makes me wonder if there was anything they might have cut there specifically about it.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
You're filling in blanks yourself on that one though.

Let me ask you, do you think anyone would have brought up the line if she said, "This is for that night!" rather than specifically saying it's for Loomis?

Part of why it's stood out to me now is that I suppose I truly would have liked to have learned more about Chambers' history with Loomis since that night. Makes me wonder if there was anything they might have cut there specifically about it.
I'm filing in blanks, but the movie makes it clear that the survivors are all close, plus it's a small town.

Learning more about Chambers' and Loomis' history would've been really nice.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm filing in blanks, but the movie makes it clear that the survivors are all close, plus it's a small town.

Learning more about Chambers' and Loomis' history would've been really nice.

Should have had a quick Loomis and Chambers flashback during the bar scene.

The pair of them in that very same bar, 1st November 1978, "I had him, Miss. Chambers, I had him dead to rights and the police stopped me, their ignorant bureaucracy stopped me from ending the evil once and for all!"

I'd have dug it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Mob mentality is stupid and does stupid so that's kind of fine, the problem was focusing the movie too much on the stupid mob. We've seen stupid mobs in real life just recently making this kind of more to the point, but still it doesn't mean it's the movie I want to watch. I kind of loved the movie at all times that wasn't dealing with the mob of idiots.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't felt such a profound sense of regret for spending $5 in a while. Coulda gotten a crunchwrap and acid reflux afterward and had a better time.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
"this is for Dr Loomis"
1575457217503-GettyImages-876142376.jpeg

Haven't felt such a profound sense of regret for spending $5 in a while. Coulda gotten a crunchwrap and acid reflux afterward and had a better time.
Well you can watch…Dead Silence?

How about The Hills Have Eyes 2?

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it, and yeah, even with lowered expectations that movie was simply dreadful… what the hell happened? Zero character development, pacing was all over the place, and overall was completely forgettable from top to bottom. What a disappointment from the great reboot…

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

I remember both those trailers scared the hell out of middle school lol
youtu.be

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) Trailer

While traveling in a trailer to California through the New Mexico Desert, a family is misled to a shortcut going to nowhere by the owner of an isolated gas s...
Ah, I was out of school when the 2nd one came out.=O But yeah, I'm really curious about both of them and should try to get to them when possible and the trailers help with that!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a massive disappointment. I can't fully put into words why I disliked it so much, but I think it's mainly got to do with this movie fitting a trend of horror movies where the villain is untouchable, and I fucking hate horror movies that are like this.

To be clear, I'm down for Michael staying alive again and again, especially when we know it will happen because there's already another installment greenlit and titled, but to care for these movies, I have to feel like the heroes are capable of defeating the villain. If the villain appears to be an all-powerful being who is stronger than anyone else put together times infinity and can slash his way out of any situation, then I don't care. More than that, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Also, this movie completely wastes almost all the returning characters.

It's well-made, though needlessly disjointed, but to me it goes in the pile with the Rob Zombie movies. It's a clear step back from Halloween 2018, and although I'm sure it's intentional, it doesn't feel like a Halloween movie. It's like a film from a different franchise with a Halloween skin.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, I need to watch The Hills Have Eyes movies.

The 2006 remake is fantastic, one of the few times a remake turns out better than the original, and with a great, thumping score too.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 is sadly quite bad and largely just a retread of the remake, but with worse characters.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
What a massive disappointment. I can't fully put into words why I disliked it so much, but I think it's mainly got to do with this movie fitting a trend of horror movies where the villain is untouchable, and I fucking hate horror movies that are like this.

To be clear, I'm down for Michael staying alive again and again, especially when we know it will happen because there's already another installment greenlit and titled, but to care for these movies, I have to feel like the heroes are capable of defeating the villain. If the villain appears to be an all-powerful being who is stronger than anyone else put together times infinity and can slash his way out of any situation, then I don't care. More than that, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Yeah, this was a bit of an issue for me too. Before the movie came out I was a little perturbed by some of the criticism from Venice or whatever that said Kills doesn't work because you know he's back in Ends. At the time, my response to that was that Michael is obviously surviving the night, but you still don't know who lives or who dies victim-wise.

Sadly, that becomes problematic because in almost all cases except the old couple, and Big John and Little John, I mostly didn't care about anybody else.

Also, this movie completely wastes almost all the returning characters.

Sadly, I completely agree. I think DGG has been on record lately saying many old faces were meant to turn up in 2018 but they scaled it all back in the end to get the essentials down.

...although I'm sure it's intentional, it doesn't feel like a Halloween movie. It's like a film from a different franchise with a Halloween skin.

Friday the 13th Part 11: Jason Kills, basically.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was so bad. Recently, an acquaintance of mine was wanting to rewatch some of the Halloween films, and of course he wants to start with "his favorite". You know, the one that had absolutely nothing at all to do with the first two films and those that followed? So we watched that goofy film, where the most memorable thing about it was the masks, the jingle and how ridiculous it was overall. Then we watched Kills, and it was essentially just a crappy Friday the 13th film. Then we watched the second, which I had not seen since I was a kid, and thought it was the only other one besides the first and 2018 film that I really enjoyed.

Nostalgia is a real bitch, because that film was so drastically different in tone from the original film that it seemed not like a sequel, but more like a knockoff, and it had so many cheesy scenes and many that required some Herculean suspension of disbelief to swallow. I think of all of the Halloween films, only two of them are worth watching again. The first one, and the pseudo reboot/direct sequel 2018 film.

I think the next time I watch a film at this person's house, I'm going to insist that it be It Follows, since he's never seen it, and it's the only other film that I can think of that evokes a similar style of the original Halloween without trying to be a clone.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I think the next time I watch a film at this person's house, I'm going to insist that it be It Follows, since he's never seen it, and it's the only other film that I can think of that evokes a similar style of the original Halloween without trying to be a clone.

Wow, great shout. I hadn't considered that before but I think you're spot on.

Last edited:

Kodiak33

Oct 30, 2017

To be clear, I'm down for Michael staying alive again and again, especially when we know it will happen because there's already another installment greenlit and titled, but to care for these movies, I have to feel like the heroes are capable of defeating the villain. If the villain appears to be an all-powerful being who is stronger than anyone else put together times infinity and can slash his way out of any situation, then I don't care. More than that, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Also, this movie completely wastes almost all the returning characters.

It's well-made, though needlessly disjointed, but to me it goes in the pile with the Rob Zombie movies. It's a clear step back from Halloween 2018, and although I'm sure it's intentional, it doesn't feel like a Halloween movie. It's like a film from a different franchise with a Halloween skin.

I completely agree. I really wanted to like this too since I liked Halloween 2018 so much.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Folks getting really crazy with the hyperbole, even if you didn't like it this is not touching bottom of the barrel of Halloween films.

It's uneven but I still enjoyed lot of it. I think they took risks and tried to make a different movie from the typical stalk and slash type of slasher film, trying to make a big action carnage film. Lot of this I think still will depend on how things go with Halloween Ends and if it helps bookend the trilogy

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
My entire dorm floor is gonna be setting up a projector in the lounge room and watching this on Peacock Friday night. Super pumped.

Goddamn college was the best. Doing stuff like that, it doesn't get much better. I remember in my dorm back in 2000 we all watched The Blair Witch Project in our dorm common room and then some of us went out to an old abandoned TB hospital. One of the best Halloweens ever.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Folks getting really crazy with the hyperbole, even if you didn't like it this is not touching bottom of the barrel of Halloween films.

Yeah this the only thing that bothers me too. I have no issue with people thinking Kills is terrible. That's perfectly fine.

But "worst in the series" is some utterly insane combination of recency bias and rosetinted glasses. Go watch H5 or Resurrection and come back and say that with a straight face. Objectively I don't think you could rank Kills any lower than middle of the pack at worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, movie wasn't good.

Pretty big step down from 2018 Halloween.

Not a big fan of them making Michael like Jason where he is "a child's mind in the body of a man" and not the whole "pure evil" angle they were going with in the previous film. This felt less like a horror/slasher movie and instead a really dumb action movie where the people hunting Michael are grossly incompetent.

Maybe it's commentary on how mobs like this are ineffective due to people not being trained to deal with situations like this, but holy shit the people of Haddenfield are embarrassingly incapable.

I fucking lost it when the doctor shot herself and the fact everyone with a gun seems incapable of hitting a large man walking at a casual pace and will instead somehow shoot themselves or other people.