• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
This is due to Universal's contract with HBO for all movies released in theaters up to December 31st, 2021. The next movie will be on Peacock, followed by Prime Video due to the new streaming contract for live action Universal Pictures films

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
While not as good as Halloween 2018, outside of the "evil dies tonight!" stuff I enjoyed this. Might check it out again (at home this time).

I'd give 2018 probably a 9/10 (relative to the series), up there with the original and III for favs in the series. I would give Kills around a 7/10, better than a lot of the junk in this series but definitely not the best.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Will probably watch this later tonight. I enjoyed the previous one but was interested in the divisive reception that Kills got. Really want to see for myself.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, it looks like they have the extended unrated cut under extras? It's not labeled as such, and the rating is TV-MA rather than R or UR, but it's four minutes longer.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I haven't watched the previous million Halloween movies. Obviously I know Myers is the bad one and Jamie Lee is the good one. Is there anything worth knowing about this one before watching, or is an extensive background in Halloween franchise lore not needed?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I haven't watched the previous million Halloween movies. Obviously I know Myers is the bad one and Jamie Lee is the good one. Is there anything worth knowing about this one before watching, or is an extensive background in Halloween franchise lore not needed?

Not really but you should watch the newest Halloween before this one (the 2018 film). I don't want to spoil anything but they are very directly linked. Halloween is a much better film too

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This is a new timeline. If you want to catch up, here's everything included.

Halloween (1979)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween Kills (2021)
Halloween Ends (2022)

Basically though, just know they're not siblings, michael got locked up after the first movie, came back for 2018, and continue from there.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
^ Thanks all.

EDIT: According to justwatch, Halloween 2018 isn't on any of my services, so I'll wait for that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's good for the people who haven't seen it and wanted to

This one only takes the original Halloween and Halloween 2018 into account

2018 was less dependent on you having seen the original but this one REALLY wants you to watch the original and 2018 first

E_14fszUYAUW2vu

tbone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm used to being disappointed by Halloween sequels, but this one was uniquely painful after the COVID delay.

I'm in for Halloween Ends, but my expectations are looooooooow

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It doesn't get enough, quite frankly
For real.

In addition to what others said about this being a direct sequel to 2018, I will also say the first three Halloween movies are well worth watching in their own right.

Especially 3 if you have minimal interest in Michael Myers. It has nothing to do with the rest of the series and it's weird.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Movie is fucking trash.

Big John and Little John are the only characters that aren't shit.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
It's kinda fun, but it's just so ridiculously, headache-inducingly stupid at times.

Hey, Michael Myers seems dead, let's turn our backs on him and slowly walk away.

I guess. But it's just kind of interesting considering a lot of that logic is in the original too. Laurie drops the knife several times, yet that film is still considered a masterpiece. I just think it's funny how most of the negatives around the movie surround the logic of the town, yet discards all of the other aspects of it. Cinematography? Great. Music? Great. Acting? Pretty good. Gets Michael Myers right? Yes. Yet a few dumb character decisions renders it incomprehensible trash for most? :/

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I guess. But it's just kind of interesting considering a lot of that logic is in the original too. Laurie drops the knife several times, yet that film is still considered a masterpiece. I just think it's funny how most of the negatives around the movie surround the logic of the town, yet discards all of the other aspects of it. Cinematography? Great. Music? Great. Acting? Pretty good. Gets Michael Myers right? Yes. Yet a few dumb character decisions renders it incomprehensible trash for most? :/

Except in the first Halloween, that made sense because no one knew he was an unstoppable killing machine. In Halloween Kills, they knew exactly who they were dealing with and still acted like complete dumbasses.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, just finished it. This movie was kind of a mess, I have so many thoughts.

I think it starts strongly enough, the flashback was cool, and I think the premise itself had a lot of potential. I liked the idea of the town deciding to fight back especially given the Strodes are benched for most of the movie.

Problem is that most of an already short movie feels kind of like padding. It's some of the dumbest people I've ever seen trying to kill a 70 year old man and he proceeds to tear through them all like tissue paper. The story doesn't feel like it actually moves forward till the last half hour.

I get they were going for a commentary on mob mentality but it just so surface level, especially with Brackett saying "he made us into monsters" (subtext is for cowards). Although I was surprised they actually picked the full on supernatural lane for Michael again. He was always a manifestation of pure evil, but I guess they had to explain how an old man could survive so much punishment.

The citizens of Haddonfield are so comically stupid, let's give highschool kids guns, that will go well. I spit out my water when Michael made that lady shoot herself. It was at least entertaining on that level

People were hyping up the kills as well but I didn't find them that impressive. Big John and Allyson's boyfriend were the only ones that made me wince.

So not terrible but it's an awkward bridge movie. I think a lot is going to hinge on what ends up happening in the next one.

Last edited:

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the RLM review and that was enough to make me never want to see it myself. It's a shame too, since the 2018 movie was really promising.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
They shoulda got an award for making this somehow even worse than the last one. Everyone is this movie was stupid as fuck and frankly deserved to die. Avoid movie like a broken florescent light bulb to the throat