• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Disappointed to see the mostly now negative reaction towards Kills. Really pumped to draw my own conclusions tomorrow night

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed to see the mostly now negative reaction towards Kills. Really pumped to draw my own conclusions tomorrow night

It mostly sounds like a reaction to H2018 of sorts - H2018 rose above the slasher genre and offered up something more. The exploration of trauma, the Me Too timely social commentary, etc.

Based on the reviews it sounds like Kills eschews all that and is a straight up slasher. Whether that's good or bad is of course up to personal preference.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it would review poorly when I read the script. I think the themes in '18 were bungled, so I'm fine with this being a well-made slasher movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I felt 2018 exceeded at the cross-generational Strode drama and returning Michael to being a relentless unnerving Shape, while struggling or downright failing at the rest. 2018 to me felt less like a movie and more like a collection of scenes that couldn't decide which of three stories it was so haphazardly did all three middlingly: the Strode family's lasting scars from that fateful night? Preventing another massacre throughout the streets of Haddonfield? A released killer and prepared victim driven towards a final clash?

Kills being a slasher massacre with Strode revenge and Haddonfield at the center ideally sounds more focused, hopefully that turns out to be the case

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I expected this as soon as it went rotten again a few days ago, plus the average rating is in the 5.60 range as well.

On the bright side it's the 4th best reviewed Halloween movie on RT so far(it could be 3rd but that depends really if it could beat H20).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Me every time I check the score again:

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It dropped to 46%? Yeah I don't see it beating H20...still the 4th best reviewed film though!

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give it a 0 for all I care. Michael is back tomorrow, and that's the end of that.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing some impressions that the entire story feels more on Michael's side than any of his victims

As someone who read the leaked script that isn't totally off from the vibe I got

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That's.....actually a fresh take?

Well...not in the sense that Myers is more sympathetic or understandable but more in the sense that most of the people he kills are so unlikeable and incompetent that you kind of get the vibe that you're supposed to want them to fall into the Michael Myers shaped woodchipper

The Double Toasted review is mostly about this, hence the thumbnail

A waste of Danielle Harris.

To be fair, her big scene in Zombie's Halloween 2 is probably the best scene in the duology

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So that will be the next Halloween reboot.

God willing. It's outrageous they haven't tried it at least once before all of these remakes and reboots. Was Busta Rhymes kung fu really a better idea that doing a sequel to the best ending any of these things has ever had? Just thinking about it makes me pissed at Halloween 5 all over again.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Well...not in the sense that Myers is more sympathetic or understandable but more in the sense that most of the people he kills are so unlikeable and incompetent that you kind of get the vibe that you're supposed to want them to fall into the Michael Myers shaped woodchippe
So They Jason-ed Michael? Considering we won't be getting a new Friday for a long while, I'm cool with that

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Funny that some of you brought up when we will see Michael again after Halloween Ends. In my mind it's gonna be 2028. What that movie ends up being who knows, but I don't see anyway they don't have a new movie come out during the originals 50th anniversary. 6yrs would be a good buffer IMO

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it'll be a while before that happens after Halloween Ends.

BTW I'm watching the OG Halloween now and then will watch Halloween 2018 afterward(in the same day) to prepare for Halloween Kills.
There will definitely be a new Halloween in 2028, if not sooner. This is one franchise that has never let an anniversary go to waste:
  • 1988 10th anniversary - Halloween 4
  • 1998 20th anniversary - H20
  • 2008 30th anniversary - nothing that year, but sandwiched by the Rob Zombie movies in '07 and '09
  • 2018 40th anniversary - and here we are
This is thinking way far ahead but I wonder if they'd do yet another JLC return for the 50th, continue the story with just Judy Greer and Andi Matchiak, or do another alt timeline reboot? I figure JLC has got to be done with this franchise after Ends, but she's said that twice before...

edit: damn, took long to write this out lol

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ends in 2022 and some kind of new version in 2028 for the 50th is absolutely guaranteed.

JLC and this cast/crew is done after Ends.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that some of you brought up when we will see Michael again after Halloween Ends. In my mind it's gonna be 2028. What that movie ends up being who knows, but I don't see anyway they don't have a new movie come out during the originals 50th anniversary. 6yrs would be a good buffer IMO
If the franchise does come back which we'll probably be getting another remake/reboot of the OG film again, since most of the OG cast won't be around anymore, and Michael himself would be pushing about 71 years old in universe. This is really the last time they could do a direct sequel to the OG film.

Oct 27, 2017
going to a screening tonight. so excited.

i love badly reviewed horror (uh the entirety of the friday the 13th franchise) so i'm not too deterred on the reviews.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
It's so crazy. As excited as I am for Kills and to see where Ends ultimately… ends… I am so curious about where they go with the franchise after this trilogy

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

I legitimately think the amount of time between this trilogy and the next reboot largely depends on how successful Scream 5 is (which I see kickstarting another couple movies), how many more years it takes for Friday the 13th's lawsuit to wrap up, and if anyone is willing to try to reboot Nightmare on Elm Street. If Halloween Kills, Scream 5, and Halloween Ends are big financial successes, I could see studios starting to greenlight more big slasher movies again after paranormal and ghost stuff have reigned over the horror-sphere for the past decade.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Halloween H20. It's my most-watched movie ever, at well over 100 rewatches. I love how simple and straightforward it is. The only things I'd change is I'd have them stick to either the H6 mask or the slick mask used in the workprint and I'd have them stick to an original score. If they thought Ottman's score didn't fit certain scenes, fine, but don't just replace it with another famous horror movie's score.

Other than that, I think it's perfect. By far my favorite sequel. Not even the 2018 movie comes close to me, the plot is a mess and the ending is a cop-out.
H20 is probably my second or third favorite Halloween movie. it just works for me, is briskly paced, and has an absolute gut punch of an ending. (resurrection doesn't exist)

i do love the 2018 movie though, haha.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it a few hours ago, and I enjoyed my time, but the film absolutely has a fair share of problems. I will give them this, the way Michael survives the fire is actually well thought out and the way the town ends up up and about for blood was a great idea with a mostly great execution. However, execution was the films biggest problem for me honestly.

A lot of the film just kind of happens and it jumps back and forth a number of times between 1978 and 2018 for seemingly no real reason, but we learn nothing new of importance in the end. A cop accidentally killed his partner back in '78 and swaps his gun with a colleague, but that story isn't concluded in any way shape or form, it's being shown and that's it. Doctor Loomis also appears during these flashbacks and doesn't really add much either, something happens and it's never mentioned again... Bringing Marion back just to have her shoot a number of times, miss like a complete moron and be stabbed because she ran out of bullets was just a complete waste of the character (at least she smacked Michael a number of times in H20). The chase of Lindsey was pretty great, but she's just dropped completely after her one real scene. Tommy and the town driving an innocent man to suicide was a great piece in the film, but there's no real repercussions. It happens and a small group happily does it all over again literally directly after having done this. The Sheriff is introduced, does literally nothing and it completely forgotten by the end. The '78 Sherriff is also brought back, shouts something and just disappears as well. And this really feels like a running theme. Someone or something appears, does a thing, and disappears again for the rest of the film.

I did absolutely love the kills though, even if some were absolutely ridiculous (Michaels kills something like 12 fire fighters at the start single handedly and murders a mob towards the end as well despite having been stabbed and shot multiple times moments before). The florescent beam kill was absolutely brutal, Michael seemingly beheads a child off screen and uses it as a prop to scare others, seeing someone's eyes be squeezed out like they were was something else and that final kill left me with my jaw on the floor. I genuinely did not expect them to have the ball to pull that one and so unceremoniously too!

Too Long, Don't Wanna Read Spoilers.

There's some really great moments, absolutely brutal kills and great cool ideas. However, most (if not all) story elements being set in place are just left completely unanswered or simply go ignored by the end. The film very much rides on what Halloween Ends will end up deliver and it really shows. A lot happens, but there's no real pay-off to anything in the end. I enjoyed my time, but left with a sour after taste...

I have not a single bad thing to say about the soundtrack though, that's absolutely killer!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure I read once that DGG pitched this as two films.

I wonder if their original plan effectively covered 2018 and Ends story-wise, and Kills as the middle chapter was born from necessity when they decided on a trilogy.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

H50.

H-five-o

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it a few hours ago, and I enjoyed my time, but the film absolutely has a fair share of problems. I will give them this, the way Michael survives the fire is actually well thought out and the way the town ends up up and about for blood was a great idea with a mostly great execution. However, execution was the films biggest problem for me honestly.

A lot of the film just kind of happens and it jumps back and forth a number of times between 1978 and 2018 for seemingly no real reason, but we learn nothing new of importance in the end. A cop accidentally killed his partner back in '78 and swaps his gun with a colleague, but that story isn't concluded in any way shape or form, it's being shown and that's it. Doctor Loomis also appears during these flashbacks and doesn't really add much either, something happens and it's never mentioned again... Bringing Marion back just to have her shoot a number of times, miss like a complete moron and be stabbed because she ran out of bullets was just a complete waste of the character (at least she smacked Michael a number of times in H20). The chase of Lindsey was pretty great, but she's just dropped completely after her one real scene. Tommy and the town driving an innocent man to suicide was a great piece in the film, but there's no real repercussions. It happens and a small group happily does it all over again literally directly after having done this. The Sheriff is introduced, does literally nothing and it completely forgotten by the end. The '78 Sherriff is also brought back, shouts something and just disappears as well. And this really feels like a running theme. Someone or something appears, does a thing, and disappears again for the rest of the film.

I did absolutely love the kills though, even if some were absolutely ridiculous (Michaels kills something like 12 fire fighters at the start single handedly and murders a mob towards the end as well despite having been stabbed and shot multiple times moments before). The florescent beam kill was absolutely brutal, Michael seemingly beheads a child off screen and uses it as a prop to scare others, seeing someone's eyes be squeezed out like they were was something else and that final kill left me with my jaw on the floor. I genuinely did not expect them to have the ball to pull that one and so unceremoniously too!

Too Long, Don't Wanna Read Spoilers.

There's some really great moments, absolutely brutal kills and great cool ideas. However, most (if not all) story elements being set in place are just left completely unanswered or simply go ignored by the end. The film very much rides on what Halloween Ends will end up deliver and it really shows. A lot happens, but there's no real pay-off to anything in the end. I enjoyed my time, but left with a sour after taste...

I have not a single bad thing to say about the soundtrack though, that's absolutely killer!

How jump scary is it?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
There are a number of attacks that happen promptly from (near) complete silence, but there's no ridiculously loud stinger.
It could be that one jumps from these, but personally I was mostly unfazed by these moments.

I'm very much excited to see the film this weekend, but I've honestly become such a wimp when it comes to jump scares in my old age. What you've described doesn't sound too bad anyway 😅