• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The father represents disbelief in her trauma. He's the guy who is never going to be on her side. His presence in the film is stuffed with little digs about Laurie and how nuts she is. He does not empathize with her, and never will.

His fate is a metaphor for the death of opposition once the truth comes to light.

That's an interesting take but Laurie's daughter pretty much acts the same way as the husband. Plus, for that to really be driven home, it feels like it should be the case for all of the key male characters in the film but Hawkins seems to pretty much be aligned with Laurie from the start on the threat that Myers represents.

Plus, as I mentioned before, I don't think the production timeline allows for an intentional parallel to #metoo unless it was part of reshoots. Script was being written throughout 2017 and the movie went into full production just two months after the metoo movement startedx.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said: it had very little tension for the first time. It was really boring the second time when you knew what's happening. This won't stand the test of time. It's just mediocre at best.
I think it will be looked back on pretty much like h20. H20 was clearly better than 5-6...4 is debatable, but a potential decent movie to at least end the franchise on, but doesn't. This movie at least washes away the zombie remakes, but also isn't amazing.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think it will be looked back on pretty much like h20. H20 was clearly better than 5-6...4 is debatable, but a potential decent movie to at least end the franchise on, but doesn't.

Indeed. It's a well enough sequel but no way near the greatness of the original.

I'm glad it's banking money though. Maybe the sequel is better like Annabelle 2.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's an interesting take but Laurie's daughter pretty much acts the same way as the husband. Plus, for that to really be driven home, it feels like it should be the case for all of the key male characters in the film but Hawkins seems to pretty much be aligned with Laurie from the start on the threat that Myers represents.

Plus, as I mentioned before, I don't think the production timeline allows for an intentional parallel to #metoo unless it was part of reshoots. Script was being written throughout 2017 and the movie went into full production just two months after the metoo movement startedx.
The daughter is not disbelief, she is dealing with the generational trauma of the abuse. She is the symbol for everyone who is struggling with learning and living with the fact that a close relative is a victim. She wants to forget what she knows, but in the end confronts the truth and rises to stand by her mom.

As far as Hawkins, his role is basically spoken aloud in the film: He had a chance to kill Michael, and didn't take it, and did not support Loomis and Laurie at the time when they said Michael needed to die. To put it in perspective of our discussion, he stayed silent, despite knowing the absolute truth first-hand.

As far as timeline goes, the film began shooting in January 2018, plenty of time to inject some social commentary into the film.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The daughter is not disbelief, she is dealing with the generational trauma of the abuse. She is the symbol for everyone who is struggling with learning and living with the fact that a close relative is a victim. She wants to forget what she knows, but in the end confronts the truth and rises to stand by her mom.

As far as Hawkins, his role is basically spoken aloud in the film: He had a chance to kill Michael, and didn't take it, and did not support Loomis and Laurie at the time when they said Michael needed to die. To put it in perspective of our discussion, he stayed silent, despite knowing the absolute truth first-hand.

As far as timeline goes, the film began shooting in January 2018, plenty of time to inject some social commentary into the film.

Thanks for the perspective. Honestly it still feels very much like it's either reaching or, if completely intended, was botched in the execution and/or editing. But I'll be in interested to see if these stand out to me when I watch it again.

I do totally agree that there is a lot of social commentary in the film. I'm just dubious that it's specific to #metoo. Or at least a direct reaction to #metoo. I can certainly believe that Green and McBride may have had some of these things on their mind from working in the industry even before the metoo movement started.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Eh. We'll see. I have no doubt there will be rush for re-reboots of F13 and ANOE but this feels like something that will pass pretty quickly. Zombie's H1 opening weekend was actually pretty damn good by genre standards. I suspect that a Halloween sequel from this team will have an opening weekend much closer to the Zombie H1 given the very divisive reaction to Halloween 2018.

Elm Street, maybe. But Jason is a as good as dead for a few more years at the earliest.

I think this will blow away Zombie's opening personally, but Zombie still holds the Labor Day weekend record with his. Which is crazy. Surprised nobody as taken advantage of the holiday with a big release to break it.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah,- there's some legal stuff going on right now with F13 isn't there?

Yeah, the original's writer & the director/studio that owns the rest of the series are at odds presently. Appeals court will keep Jason gone for the foreseeable future. Unless this Halloween movie does massive money & these guys all decide, wait a minute, we want some of that slasher money too.

With the Texas Chainsaw rights recently sold; this movie could get Leatherface back on the big screen too after that shiity DTV prequel that just came out.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, the original's writer & the director/studio that owns the rest of the series are at odds presently. Appeals court will keep Jason gone for the foreseeable future. Unless this Halloween movie does massive money & these guys all decide, wait a minute, we want some of that slasher money too.

With the Texas Chainsaw rights recently sold; this movie could get Leatherface back on the big screen too after that shiity DTV prequel that just came out.
I have to finish my script for my Friday the 13th film. Once the rights are sorted out, I want to absolutely send a completed script to the right people.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, look, if you have a good enough idea, there's no reason not to pursue trying to get it on the big screen. The issue currently is that it's unclear where the franchise will land when all is said and done.

The issue is that you need an agent. If it's a good enough script you can use it as an example of your work to get paying gigs. Then, in the event that the rights do get sorted, having paid work under your belt would help enormously at getting producers to give you the time of day.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This would be the best sequel if 2 didn't exist.

Oh and if we don't count 3, cuz 3 is just awesome.

I think this is alright; they had some really good ideas, it had moments of brilliance, but most of it was way too ho hum.

It kinda reminds me of the second American Godzilla (what an insulting piece of shit honestly, and I don't often shit on movies). You finally show people what they care about, and they cut away to shit you don't care about! I remember that Godzilla movie insulted me by cutting away just as we finally meet Godzilla, and it does that several more times. It feels like this movie does the same with Michael Meyers.

The teen stuff felt so out of place, it was hardly ever effective. Way too new school.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The issue is that you need an agent. If it's a good enough script you can use it as an example of your work to get paying gigs. Then, in the event that the rights do get sorted, having paid work under your belt would help enormously at getting producers to give you the time of day.
I'm aware. I have a trio of horror film scripts I'm working on, a new Friday the 13th film being one of them. I've been trying to hammer them out, and in the near future I'll get all three down.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
This would be the best sequel if 2 didn't exist.

I rewatched 2 earlier this year and it didn't hold up for me at all. The early movie is pretty good. But once the focus shifts entirely to the hospital it just feels like a generic slasher. Curtis was utterly wasted, spending 2/3 of the movie either asleep or drugged up (her awful wig didn't help either).

I do appreciate how well Rick Rosenthal was able to match Carpenter's style and the Cundey cinematography hold up well.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware. I have a trio of horror film scripts I'm working on, a new Friday the 13th film being one of them. I've been trying to hammer them out, and in the near future I'll get all three down.
Just be ready for them to look at your F13 script and ask you to write something else. A lot of screen writers get in the business by writing spec scripts for shows/movies they'll never actually work on or get made.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The comedy was way too out of place and took me out of the mood of "Halloween" every single time.

Really unfortunate they went such a cheap route, I expected more from this.

I hate this trend of injecting silly ass comedy into movies.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just be ready for them to look at your F13 script and ask you to write something else. A lot of screen writers get in the business by writing spec scripts for shows/movies they'll never actually work on or get made.
I'm aware. I'm not expecting to get it made, but I want to say I tried, is all. I've had this idea for a new Friday the 13th ever since I saw Part 5, and I just want to say I put it out there and gave it a chance.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
H40 now tracking to make $80.3 million, which would dethrone Venom's only 2 week old record of top opening weekend in October. Whether it makes it or not, for the slasher genre, this has to be in the realm of being considered a "slasher blockbuster". Info from box office mojo, btw.

The inevitable reemergence of slasher metoos will be eye-rolling but maybe we'll get some classic sequels in the vein of H40 as well as some new modern classics.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I sure hope they do a bit better with other slasher sequels/reboots.

This was a good effort, I respect what they were trying to do, but at the end of the day this misses the mark of trying to deliver an amazing horror movie.

Lack of tension, weird editing, and way overdone comedy spoil this movie for me big time unfortunately. The tone wasn't consistent. This needed to take itself more seriously in my opinion.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
There was only three moments that was mostly comedy. This entire movie was not littered with jokes. Some of you are really being dramatic.

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the film I can really see what they meant when they filmed this as a two part series. It feel like they made this one with a sequel in mind which it's likely going to get at this point.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There was only three moments that was mostly comedy. This entire movie was not littered with jokes. Some of you are really being dramatic.

There were jokes in 15 minute intervals. Like literally. From slapstick to police comedic bits and "funny dialogue".

The comedy falls short, that's why you think there's only three moments. Only funny part was that young boy.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
There were jokes in 15 minute intervals. Like literally. From slapstick to police comedic bits and "funny dialogue".

The comedy falls short, that's why you think there's only three moments. Only funny part was that young boy.
The young boy, cops on their meal, and the drunk friend. The rest was standard character development talking bits with some light hearted tone. Not every single character was a stand up comedian.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The young boy, cops on their meal, and the drunk friend. The rest was standard character development talking bits with some light hearted tone. Y'all are acting every single character was trying to do stand up.

Well they were.
Like the babysitter murder. She tripped over like in a slapstick comedy, only the banana and funny sound was missing.

You missed the dad and his scenes throughout the movie: even penis jokes. Toilet/shit humor with the female journalist. Huge load of the dialogue was written in a sarcastic tone, which made it comedic. Laurie drinking the wine in the restaurant.

Etc. etc. Every 15 minutes.

The audience was laughing more than it was scared.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The young boy, cops on their meal, and the drunk friend. The rest was standard character development talking bits with some light hearted tone. Not every single character was a stand up comedian.

The young boy I get- he was funny but it undercut the moment.

I don't see an issue with the cops. They were just a couple of cops on a stakeout. It was pretty much exactly the kind of conversation I would expect cops to have.

The drunk friend? You mean
the guy that tries to kiss her? I didn't think that was played for comedy much at all. Seemed unfortunately realistic.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw First Man on thursday, this last night, what should I see today to complete the trifecta of awful?

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Just got back from seeing it. Decent flick, but way too many jump scares. Worst part was the bit with the
Dr. killing the cop, putting on the mask and pretending to be Michael o_O.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Saw this yesterday. Absolutely loved it, think they nailed pretty much everything I wanted from it.

Also the comedy went over really well in the theatre I was in, lots of laughs.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the "Michael walking through the neighborhood" scene was twice as long as that was brilliant.

I thought this had some glimpses of a better movie but was ultimately disappointing. I can understand the idea behind "the New Loomis" but it just seemed silly to me.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Well they were.
Like the babysitter murder. She tripped over like in a slapstick comedy, only the banana and funny sound was missing.

You missed the dad and his scenes throughout the movie: even penis jokes. Toilet/shit humor with the female journalist. Huge load of the dialogue was written in a sarcastic tone, which made it comedic. Laurie drinking the wine in the restaurant.

Etc. etc. Every 15 minutes.

The audience was laughing more than it was scared.
Everyone in my audience was sad at what happened in the spoiler. No one laughed. That is a moment where your cheering for that person to escape but then the unfortunate happens and your hopes are gone. I don't know where your getting toilet humor when all the reported did was react to a shit filled toilet. It was set up to have her move a couple stalls away from the entrance/exit. Laurie drinking wine was her being stressed and trying to hide an emotional breakdown after having to witness Michael get transported away. The entire family was built on being really positive and fun to hang around with the dad leading. It's suppose to serve as the exact opposite of how Laurie is living, and then Michael ruins everything for them.

With the exception of the kid, everyone's reaction to Michael in person was serious and deadly. Outside of that I can't imagine a community not trying to move on and be happy after 40 years.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly excited to see this. I'm not a big horror guy, but I have some weird nostalgic soft spot for the Halloween series. Have tickets to see it here in a couple hours with my wife. Hoping it lives up to the hype!

Oct 28, 2017
I rewatched 2 earlier this year and it didn't hold up for me at all. The early movie is pretty good. But once the focus shifts entirely to the hospital it just feels like a generic slasher. Curtis was utterly wasted, spending 2/3 of the movie either asleep or drugged up (her awful wig didn't help either).

I do appreciate how well Rick Rosenthal was able to match Carpenter's style and the Cundey cinematography hold up well.

II's biggest failing for me, other than the lame retconning of Laurie as being Michael's sister, is Pleasence's total hammy performance as Loomis. He goes way past number 10 and just ratchets into comedic send up of the original, "You don't know what death is!", "I shot him 6 times!! I shot him in the heart!" It's supposed to be a continuation of the same night from frightened but focused and determined Loomis, yet he sounds like one of the escaped crazies at various points. And the death of Ben Tramer is so unintentionally hilarious. II was so completely forced by the studio, and it sadly shows throughout Carpenter and Hill's writing and the general production. There's just not enough desire or care taken in it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I hadn't watched the trailers first. All the best bits were in those and it just ruined the tension from watching specific scenes. Ah well.

I am quite surprised to see so many in here declaring their love for it because it was so painfully average.

What was with the guitar shredding music that came on everytime Michael appeared on screen towards the end? He's not a freaking rock star.

I don't think this is going to hold up well, and will get worse with repeated viewings.

Did people like those blatant nods to the first film? Such as
Alyson running down the street banging on doors?
They aren't fun, they're just too on the nose references that we didn't need.