• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I know a lot of people don't like how "stupid" the characters were (it didn't bother me but I wasn't expecting anything less) but it works to juxtapose against Laurie

She's a crazy old conspiracy lady but she's the only one who knows what the fuck she's doing

Really enjoyed the movie, plays plenty of homage and embraces the typical tropes but has enough modern "self-aware" slasher to it to keep it from feeling dated. I'd watch another but I'd be curious what tricks they'd have up their sleeve, I guess since this is a movie all about preparation the sequel could flip it again to where he's subverting their plans

I think there's a bigger message with this, even though this message has always been there in Slashers, it's even more prevalent and relevant in this film. That being that those who are asleep at the wheel/living within self-delusion may find themselves running headlong into a tree/reality catching up with them really quickly.

That Michael Myers in this film is a metaphorical stand-in for hard to perceive, distant, and intangible evil that's not perceptual for most people until it's far too late. The only people who understand to be vigilant are either obsessed or have been personally impacted by this ephemeral evil, and are observed to be "crazy" by those living within the confines of their justified delusions.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that felt relieved
Michael didn't dunk the female podcaster's head in the shit toilet?
Rob Zombie's version would have done that. Still sucks what happened to that character but at least the death wasn't tryhard and extra disgusting.

Nov 5, 2017
Been listening to the full soundtrack now that I've seen the film and one track I've not seen mentioned so far is Prison Montage, which might be my favorite of the new themes.

(YT link should be timestamped to 5:05)

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think there's a bigger message with this, even though this message has always been there in Slashers, it's even more prevalent and relevant in this film. That being that those who are asleep at the wheel/living within self-delusion may find themselves running headlong into a tree/reality catching up with them really quickly.

That Michael Myers in this film is a metaphorical stand-in for hard to perceive, distant, and intangible evil that's not perceptual for most people until it's far too late. The only people who understand to be vigilant are either obsessed or have been personally impacted by this ephemeral evil, and are observed to be "crazy" by those living within the confines of their justified delusions.
I actually took a different message from this film. I felt the film was trying to present a narrative reflective of the modern #metoo movement. Laurie (and, to an extent, her daughter) were suffering for decades from the abuse Laurie had suffered at the hands of a relentless man who would stop at nothing to get her. The film is filled with male characters who do not understand Laurie's struggle and suffering, and some who flat-out do not believe her. In the end, she ends up taking command of her life and destiny and burns down that which followed her her whole life. She confronts the trauma of her past, and with the help from the women closest to her, she triumphs over it and burns down the past.

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
My favourite detail so far is

the fact that Laurie's house was originally set-designed to recreate the Doyle house from the end of the original film, as they were originally planning on recreating the ending for this new film. Notice the balcony and closet are in the same positions.

As it stands in the film, however, you could also see it perfectly as Laurie having been so affected by that night that she subconsciously allowed elements of that house to come out in her own design.

Wonderful little detail.

Oct 31, 2017
I actually took a different message from this film. I felt the film was trying to present a narrative reflective of the modern #metoo movement. Laurie (and, to an extent, her daughter) were suffering for decades from the abuse Laurie had suffered at the hands of a relentless man who would stop at nothing to get her. The film is filled with male characters who do not understand Laurie's struggle and suffering, and some who flat-out do not believe her. In the end, she ends up taking command of her life and destiny and burns down that which followed her her whole life. She confronts the trauma of her past, and with the help from the women closest to her, she triumphs over it and burns down the past.

I think it's both of these things, honestly, plus how abuse/trauma tend to produce more abuse/trauma. There's a lot of this kind of stuff in the movie I think, and that makes it a better movie. I want to rewatch this at least a few more times.

Also, I haven't seen Rob Zombie's Halloween remake since watching it in the theater, but I came out of this one thinking how it basically made his movie look like a complete amateur hour in comparison. Haven't bothered with seeing his sequel lol.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think it's both of these things, honestly, plus how abuse/trauma tend to produce more abuse/trauma. There's a lot of this kind of stuff in the movie I think, and that makes it a better movie. I want to rewatch this at least a few more times.

Also, I haven't seen Rob Zombie's Halloween remake since watching it in the theater, but I came out of this one thinking how it basically made his movie look like a complete amateur hour in comparison. Haven't bothered with seeing his sequel lol.
The problem with Zombie's remake was that it focused on an element that never needed exploration.

Oct 31, 2017
The problem with Zombie's remake was that it focused on an element that never needed exploration.

Yeah, but not only that, but making it trashy and gratuitous as hell, which is the exact opposite from the original. It's definitely his version, that's for sure lol. This movie definitely understood what made the original film good, while also amplifying things for a sequel 40 years later. It's actually pretty impressive it's as good as it is.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, but not only that, but making it trashy and gratuitous as hell, which is the exact opposite from the original. It's definitely his version, that's for sure lol. This movie definitely understood what made the original film good, while also amplifying things for a sequel 40 years later. It's actually pretty impressive it's as good as it is.
I didn't mind how "Zombie-esque" the remake was. I felt that was mostly fine. It was his own take on the material. The problem is that his deep exploration of Michael's character eliminates a lot of what made the character work in the first place. Michael is "The Shape" and "The Boogeyman" first, and a human being last (if at all a factor).

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've watched a more average film this whole year. It's all so completely whatever and forgetful.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Had to watch it again earlier today for work. Now all the tension was gone, it was really boring. I din't like it the first time around, even less the second time. Shitty movie.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
they don't want to have some convoluted story again to how he survived like in h20

I mean people were laughing the whole babysitter scene juat like busta rhymes wearing the myers costume.

Because the kid was FUNNY, they were laughing WITH the movie, not AT it. You keep talking of it like the tone of that scene is accidental or indicative of the entire film. It's not and that's why your comparison is ridiculous.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great fuckin movie. It was tense the entire time. Now to listen to Carpenter's score on repeat.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was excellent and easily the best sequel in the franchise.

To get the bad out of the way first, after the amazing opening scene and credits, there was a good 30 minute stretch that really felt like it plodded along. It really took the movie a while to kick into gear. And secondly, not that it was ever even remotely possibly in jeopardy, but the original film's legacy remains untarnished and its shadow too large to overcome. David Gordon Green, while a fine director in his own right, is not prime John Carpenter. He doesn't possess Carpenter's restraint, his eye, his ability to palpably ratchet up tension, his almost Hitchcockian ability to induce fear with the implied rather than the explicit, and he certainly doesn't have the Cundey.

Getting that out of the way, Halloween 2018 is awesome. Focusing on trauma, not just the victim's trauma, but the generational trauma it breeds, was a wonderfully unique path to take the material. So many horror sequels never give an ounce of thought to the repercussions being stalked by a psychopath would have on a person. Jamie Lee Curtis anchors the entire film in a sobering take on how Laurie's life crumbled after that fateful Halloween night. I won't dive into spoiler territory here, but let's just say those themes as well as the themes of family and catharsis hit hard and true for me. Oh, and that plodding 30 minute stretch I mentioned? Well, let's just say that the final 30 minutes of the film is the complete opposite - propulsive, gripping, suspenseful and supremely well made. It moves.

And dear god, if John Carpenter never directs another film, I sure as hell hope he scores a few more. I'm prepared to call this score a masterpiece. The way he reworks the brilliant original tracks, but never uses them as a crutch, and layers multiple brand new stone cold classics into the mix, is nothing short of astounding. There are two pivotal scenes now scorched into my memory backed with brand new ass-kicking Carpenter wizardry.

Looking forward to reading all the spoiler posts now and delving into the discussion!

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It was excellent and easily the best sequel in the franchise.

To get the bad out of the way first, after the amazing opening scene and credits, there was a good 30 minute stretch that really felt like it plodded along. It really took the movie a while to kick into gear. And secondly, not that it was ever even remotely possibly in jeopardy, but the original film's legacy remains untarnished and its shadow too large to overcome. David Gordon Green, while a fine director in his own right, is not prime John Carpenter. He doesn't possess Carpenter's restraint, his eye, his ability to palpably ratchet up tension, his almost Hitchcockian ability to induce fear with the implied rather than the explicit, and he certainly doesn't have the Cundey.

Getting that out of the way, Halloween 2018 is awesome. Focusing on trauma, not just the victim's trauma, but the generational trauma it breeds, was a wonderfully unique path to take the material. So many horror sequels never give an ounce of thought to the repercussions being stalked by a psychopath would have on a person. Jamie Lee Curtis anchors the entire film in a sobering take on how Laurie's life crumbled after that fateful Halloween night. I won't dive into spoiler territory here, but let's just say those themes as well as the themes of family and catharsis hit hard and true for me. Oh, and that plodding 30 minute stretch I mentioned? Well, let's just say that the final 30 minutes of the film is the complete opposite - propulsive, gripping, suspenseful and supremely well made. It moves.

And dear god, if John Carpenter never directs another film, I sure as hell hope he scores a few more. I'm prepared to call this score a masterpiece. The way he reworks the brilliant original tracks, but never uses them as a crutch, and layers multiple brand new stone cold classics into the mix, is nothing short of astounding. There are two pivotal scenes now scorched into my memory backed with brand new ass-kicking Carpenter wizardry.

Looking forward to reading all the spoiler posts now and delving into the discussion!
Got the Solo seal of approval. I'm even more excited now!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen a halloween film, gonna see this in 40. Not really sure ehat to expect!

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Loved it. Haven't been scared of Michael since the original and this brought that back. Hope I can talk about it more later on.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen lots of talk about the obvious/overt nods to the original like
Michael's sit up and Laurie disappearing after falling out the window,
but there were a lot of more subtle ones too that I liked.
The clothesline outside the window during the babysitter scene, and the the recreation of when Laurie first sees Michael at school, but swapping Laurie for Allyson and Michael for Laurie
both come to mind.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, "The Shape Hunts Allyson" is a straight up BANGER. Straight into my veins.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
What if he didn't run into those journalists would he get a new mask? It was really convenient he ran into. "I hope this jumpsuit fits me, wait a minute ain't this a bitch. You motherfuckers had the nerve taunt me in prison, give me my motherfucking mask".

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Movie was pretty fun.

Some the comedy was a tad too much for me-

Really liked the girl who was babysitting the kid and their chemistry. Thought the kid was hilarious but I could have gone without that "Oh shit!" line when Michael came out of the closet and the cops with their PB & J Ban Mi. Not too bad as the comedy I was worried about but just a bit much.

Did not like the twist but fortunately it's not something the movie relies on.

There was one moment I hated, very small that probably won't bother others-

The moment when Karen, Laurie's daughter, says its not a cage...(wait a beat)... "It's a trap." I know. I get it. I don't know if it was the delivery that bothered me but it felt like someone was looking into the camera and explaining what was obvious. Like I said, it's something really small to focus on but I just did not like it.

While I mostly listed the complaints I actually liked the movie quite a bit. It's not a work of art but it's fun and tis the season for this kind of stuff. Some very creative situations and camera work. Loved the long take as Michael begins his Halloween assault on the neighborhood. Wish there was more long takes as it really had that Carpenter vibe in that moment.

Ah yeah, and the score fucking rocks.

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked it. It does have issues and some things I disliked, but it overcomes those ands winds up as a thoroughly enjoyable film. It's easily the best sequel in the franchise.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING AMAZING

I CANNOT EVEN HOW GREAT IT IS

IT'S BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL

WHAT THE FUCK

IMMA CALM DOWN AND COLLECT MY THOUGHTS LATER

PS THE SCORE HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY GOT DAT BLADE RUNNER 2049 SIREN IN THERE

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Movie was pretty fun.

Some the comedy was a tad too much for me-

Really liked the girl who was babysitting the kid and their chemistry. Thought the kid was hilarious but I could have gone without that "Oh shit!" line when Michael came out of the closet and the cops with their PB & J Ban Mi. Not too bad as the comedy I was worried about but just a bit much.

I'm pretty sure regarding the one part of your spoiler:

The cops having a goofy conversation was the movies homage to Halloween 5. They've got something from pretty much every sequel; that was the one I pinned down to H5 with the 2 bumbling cops. They probably could've cut it; but I guess they wanted to keep it as a callback.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure regarding the one part of your spoiler:

The cops having a goofy conversation was the movies homage to Halloween 5. They've got something from pretty much every sequel; that was the one I pinned down to H5 with the 2 bumbling cops. They probably could've cut it; but I guess they wanted to keep it as a callback.

Ah didn't realize that was an homage. I haven't seen 5. Actually I don't think I've seen any after 4. Might check them out though as I'm certainly in the mood for more.

And I guess I'm doing a bit of a disservice to the movie by saying the comedy was a bit much for me. I mean that in the softest way possible. I enjoyed the comedy overall but was just maybe a line or two that I felt I could've done without.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Starting off with what I dislike.

It's slightly a bit too heavy with nods to previous ones and slow to get going. Also the one twist wasn't quite needed in my mind.

But for the most part, the flick is how to do design a great horror flick. The film is rooted in its theme and story. The repercussions of that night, mental anguish, paranoia, etc. It's also very modernized with turning the normal 80s cliches around. Laurie is the one obsessed, the hunter now, while Micheal is just a sort of force of nature who doesn't give too shits about her or anything. Just whatever is in front of him.

Outside of a single kill too, its not too much of a gorefest either. Showed some good restraint with it.

The score and style is perfection though. It's funny, after years of fucking up remakes, revitalized franchises, etc. Hollywood is getting better. It, Mad Max, Halloween, etc.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. The first act felt mostly pretty bad; a couple good scenes in there, but something just felt off and hammy in a bad a way. Improved more in the second act, with strong sequences like
Michael stalking that kid among the motion sensors
but still uneven in other places. But then the third act was totally great. Some clutch audience moments, great sense of tension, definitely the most on edge and glued to the screen you're going to be for the whole film. Karen's
fake out
was just great.

On that point, I wish the movie was much more about Laurie and Karen. I actually liked Allyson, but she wasn't a big enough part of the climax to really justify the amount of time spent building her and her friends up in the first two thirds of the movie. Conversely, Laurie often feels like more of a side character for those same two thirds, and Karen's character is delivered in fits and spurts of exposition. The way Laurie and Karen come together for the third act is great stuff, I just wish there was more of a buildup to it.

Anyone think the final scene
of the three escaping in the back of a pickup was a nod to Texas Chainsaw?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Initial thoughts:

VERY fun movie. It has an excellent opening and third act but has some weird pacing in the first half of the second act. Jamie Lee Curtis is on fucking fire - she's so good that it makes it all the more jarring that it cuts to Allyson's high school drama and the movie feels like it grinds to a halt until Michael's starts wreaking havoc on Haddonfield. Thankfully, he doesn't take long to do so and it kicks into high gear.

I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face during the 'trick-or-treat' scenes. It's so well done and surreal since the locations almost look identical to the neighborhoods I used to live and trick-or-treat in. I love the look of the orange street lights that gave the night scenes an orange hue. A couple of moments during Michael's rampage, married with the score - magnifique. There was an audible nervousness in the audience during the climax that was fun to experience.

It's the best sequel in the franchise, and I can't believe some critics think the banal H20 is better. It has some issues and it doesn't try and reinvent the wheel but it didn't have to. I actually appreciate Green and McBride for injecting subtext about trauma and its affect on your loved ones, while never inching close to pretentiousness. They knew what fans of the original wanted and I think they delivered.

On THAT subplot:

I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would, however, I found it to be rather useless and a plot device to get Michael to Laurie and co.. I know it's about attempts at demythologizing characters, but I felt like the two investigators got that out of the way kind of quickly. I was also disappointed that Will Patton went to waste. [/spolier]

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I was SUPER disappointed by that movie. I'd heard all the hype and the good reviews but it turned out to be a generic slasher flick with very little tension, lots of unfinished plot threads, some of the stupidest and most unrealistic character decisions in any horror movie, and a betrayal of many of the things that made the original so great. All of the simplicity of the original was lost on this one.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This movie didn't need Michael Myers.

I'll write out more later but that's my first remark. There was a gutsier movie there somewhere that got killed by Michael Myers.

Myers should have been saved for the final frame/sequel.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The way they humanized trauma, Michael Myers, and the way the camera was framed really made this a terrifying experience. I expected a cookie cutter sequel with a spin on female empowerment. It was in my opinion something that does not make light of violence and gore.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'll also add one other quick note.

I've never seen a movie that had a bit side character almost entirely wreck the whole thing that significantly... until now.

Since we're talking Scream too in this thread... this doesn't touch Scream, Scream 2 or Scream 4... not even close for me. The potential was there but nah... nope not in execution

Last edited:

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I loved the movie. Some great scenes in there, with some sure to become iconic in the lexicon of the franchise. And that score... oh yeah, was so good.