• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why H2 got retconned, would have made sense but I guess that added the Laurie is Micheal's sister thing and it just never clicked so they said fuck it?
Saying Michael survived at the end of H2 has always been a stretch imo. At least In H4, the coma was a good way to explain him surviving.

H20 saying he just walked away was super dumb

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Going Thursday at 7PM and I cannot wait. I'm so thrilled this seems to be a worthy successor to my favorite film ever.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why H2 got retconned, would have made sense but I guess that added the Laurie is Micheal's sister thing and it just never clicked so they said fuck it?

Laurie being Michael's sister makes the whole scenario MUCH less terrifying. If she's his sister, then the only people who have anything to fear are Laurie and her friends/family. It confines the terror to the family and gives Michael a motive.

Whereas, what the original film (and by extension, this one) did so brilliantly was have it be a completely random act. And it's all the more terrifying for it. Michael wasnt after Laurie because she was his sister. Michael was after her because of pure dumb luck. She came to the wrong house at the wrong time and it cost 3 of her friends their lives and scarred her for life. And it could have happened to anyone. And that to me is true terror: random acts of violence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
OP's name is oddly fitting
babydriver_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOnF-pGyuMayIW5_daymjxmlvl7jkGFy-NmHws6v9akM.jpg

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still at 84% after 82 reviews now. Will be curious to see if it can stay afloat over 80% when all is said and done!

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
A review from Rossatron, who uses this as a springboard to talk about the nature of movie sequels. Found it interesting, no spoilers but some extended footage that's been released is used.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep that last 2 minutes is a total eargasm

Not only has Carpenter still got it as a composer, hes still getting better. Goddamn.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Been listening to the full album for days now.

its really good

carpet is a great composter.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm there opening night. Bought tickets for my wife and horror group soon as Alamo put them up for sale. Can't wait.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could see it this weekend but I won't have any free time sadly. This movie is going to rock.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
wish I could go opening night, but I need to give my dog a hair cut before the winter and the only time my dad was free is this weekend... next weekends my girlfriends Halloween party so it'll be pretty busy then as well :/ hopefully I can go see it next Wednesday or something.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Going to see it on Saturday for my birthday. I'm not a Halloween mega fan or anything (and I even like the second Zombie one!) but who cares, it'll be fun to see how they handle the reboot aspect of it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A review from Rossatron, who uses this as a springboard to talk about the nature of movie sequels. Found it interesting, no spoilers but some extended footage that's been released is used.

This is a good video and well-spoken by Rossatron. Framing his review in a discussion of what a good sequel should strive to do was smart

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's now "certified fresh" at RT with 85% after 85 reviews. What a time to be alive.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah! I just bought my tickets for Saturday night Regal RPX! I am so hyped. I'm taking my wife's little sister (she's in college) who has never seen a Halloween film before. I'm trying to get her to watch the original before we go but she's got a busy schedule so it might have to be something she watches after we see this. I can't wait to hear what she thinks about this though. She's never seen a classic slasher flick in general as horror films were generally discouraged in their household growing up. My wife won't go to this new one because I showed her the original some years ago and it still haunts her to this day!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm re-watching the first and watching Halloween 2 for the first time before seeing this. The contrast and similarities should be interesting

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that since everything else was retconned, Loomis and Marion Chambers aren't dead unless otherwise stated.

Granted, Donald Pleasence would be 99 years old, but we never know.

Oct 25, 2017
The first mistake Halloween 2 did was happen on the same night as the first film and ruin the originals ending. Then the whole sister angle ruined the rest. I'm honestly surprised it took so long for the sister retcon to finally get ditched.

Last edited:

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna see it on ohe 31st with my brother. He had nightmares about Michael Myers when he was 8 after watching the original with me and a friend who both where 11 at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Why? I thought that was the best thing about the sequel.
Mainly because it limits the narrative of the sequel to be more of the same. Since it happens right after the original ended. Just think how much better the original ending would have stuck if they didn't know where Michael disappeared to after being shot off that balcony. I would have liked a sequel tackle that and it's implications.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why? I thought that was the best thing about the sequel.

You're not quoting me, and I'm not going to proclaim to speak for that person, but I'm guessing it has to do with the ending of Halloween, where Michael has disappeared and all we hear is his breathing, and he could be anywhere.

Then H2 opens and is like "actually hes just down the street lol"

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
You're not quoting me, and I'm not going to proclaim to speak for that person, but I'm guessing it has to do with the ending of Halloween, where Michael has disappeared and all we hear is his breathing, and he could be anywhere.

Then H2 opens and is like "actually hes just down the street lol"

To be fair the new one will have that problem as well, except of instead of him going on a killing spree the rest of the night he just gets captured.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
XELPSNx.jpg

This was my halloween costume whilst I was back at uni, had to sell in after graduating whilst I was inbetween jobs but its times like this I wish I still had it.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RT just dropped 14 more reviews in and the rating is going up. 87% after 99 reviews.

Lawd, Friday cant come soon enough.

Last edited:

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the more negavite reviews make it sound like it wasn't the movie they wanted it to be.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the 1978 original on Amazon Prime. I haven't seen it since college. It's even better than I remember!

Man, does the movie ever move swiftly. At the very end I was doubting that 90 minutes had passed. They really don't make movies as tight as that anymore. I almost want to watch it again, just for the music and the mood and stuff.

Is Halloween 2 worth watching? I remember it being one of the most respected of the sequels, but it sounds like everyone here believes it to be kinda crummy.

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched the 1978 original on Amazon Prime. I haven't seen it since college. It's even better than I remember!

Man, does the movie ever move swiftly. At the very end I was doubting that 90 minutes had passed. They really don't make movies as tight as that anymore. I almost want to watch it again, just for the music and the mood and stuff.

Is Halloween 2 worth watching? I remember it being one of the most respected of the sequels, but it sounds like everyone here believes it to be kinda crummy.

It is definitely inferior to the original film, in pretty much every way. I used to view it more favorably, but the last time I watched it (a few years ago) I felt it was definitely worse and actually kind of weakened the original with the whole sister angle + it's the same night.

I'd say it's worth watching though. I like both it and 4 (more of a guilty pleasure) as pure 80's slasher flicks, but none of the sequels are anywhere near the original.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I marathoned Halloween's 1-4 last night

Halloween 3 is really fucking good in my opinion. It's got everything I like about a Horror movie.

I can't remember Halloween 4 because right off the bat I was annoyed with it so I'll probably watch it again with a fresher mind.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Halloween 3 is really fucking good in my opinion. It's got everything I like about a Horror movie.
I'm one of those people that just doesn't consider it a Halloween movie, irrespective of it's quality.

It's OK. A lot of people have a problem with the plot elements that it introduces, but IMO it's biggest problem is that it's just a bit dull and derivative of the original. I'd probably rank it 3rd overall.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Heh, my GF and I rewatched the original last night too. No matter how many times I see it, I'm never not amazed by:
- how well paced it is. There is no fat, just a lean and mean film.
- how amazing it looks. Carpenter and Cundey worked absolute fucking wonders on the film. To make it look so good on such a budget is a miracle.

Man, some of Cundey's night time shots where you see The Shape from afar or as a silhouette? Absolutely gorgeous and chilling.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched 4 in preparation for the new one tonight, since they're both about his second return to Haddonfield.

...I think it's safe to say the new one will have no trouble being better than 4. It makes Friday the 13th look like the first Halloween in comparison.