• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'm probably being too generous, but perhaps the movie opens with the character being pre-transition and they use she/her in the opening? Unlikely I know, just tired of everyone being shit :/

This is my take. But I don't know her views on trans rights so I'm looking at it in a vacuum.

"It changes to a man"

🙄🙄🙄

Clunky phrasing but it seems like she's trying to say it changes to a man's story. Still a problematic sentence though.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck her, and the explanation sounds terfy.

But you know what really makes my day, makes me happy and feels like progressis assured? When trans people get called "it". Just fucking love it and makes me so happy to be a member of the species.

Fuck you Halle Berry.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean the backlash will be pretty severe already, so going through with it now would be insane. But if they're truly evil they'll look at it as "publicity" and do it anyway.

Edit: I missread the article and mistook the film in question and bruised as the same film.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Only way this would be ok is if the character in the movie starts out pre transition. But yea it's kinda yikes how she is saying the characters a woman...that's going into TERF territory.

There's actual yellowface, tribal appropriation, racist Asian stereotypes and cultural generalisations, Hugo Weaving in outdated Mrs Doubtfire-type drag. The list goes on and on for me.
There are also asians and black people playing white people, because the whole movie is about the same person being reborn in different lives and different races. In the context of the movie I'm pretty sure it was a non issue.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She added: "That's what I want to experience and understand and study and explore… it's really important to me to tell stories, and that's a woman, that's a female story – it changes to a man, but I want to understand the why and how of that. I want to get into it."

What part of "Trans men are men" is so hard for these celebrities and such to understand? :\

"It changes to a man" - That NOT what happens. That's NOT how this work. Geez...

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably being too generous, but perhaps the movie opens with the character being pre-transition and they use she/her in the opening? Unlikely I know, just tired of everyone being shit :/

Then why the fuck did she call him an it? Or never use he period? Ask yourself why you're giving them the benefit of the doubt for a change.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Then why the fuck did she call him an it? Or never use he period? Ask yourself why you're giving them the benefit of the doubt for a change.
I did right in the post you quoted. Don't accuse me of transphobia please, it makes for an extremely toxic environment. I just wanted to be optimistic for once in what feels like forever.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How many times she refers to the person as a woman in such a short snippet almost makes it seem like some sort of parody, even though it obviously isn't. Maybe she is just out of the loop who knows.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are also asians and black people playing white people, because the whole movie is about the same person being reborn in different lives and different races. In the context of the movie I'm pretty sure it was a non issue.

Off-topic to the thread at this point, but I personally didn't feel the concept excused the execution.

If you have tan actual issue with Cloud Atlas you should be directing that angst against the Wachowski's instead of some random actor.

Felt it was on-topic to note that given Halle Berry has in the past been comfortable with acting in a film containing yellow-face, it stands to reason she may not see the issue with playing a trans character.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
edit: ignore this post i mixed movies

The weirdest is that every place that you search about this movie, the most complex summary you get is

Jackie "Justice", a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she's ever been good at fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons, face one of the fiercest rising stars of the MMA world, and ultimately fight to become the mother this kid deserves

Zero references to any character being trans.

So not only they casted a WOMAN to play the role of a MAN but it probably still uses "trans" part as a plot twist

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I did right in the post you quoted. Don't accuse me of transphobia please, it makes for an extremely toxic environment. I just wanted to be optimistic for once in what feels like forever.

You need to seriously reassess your post, what value is it bringing to this thread, what is it saying?

You can't just pepper language of doubt into your message to make it more acceptable, and you aren't bringing optimism into a thread by telling transpeople that they are wrong and should shut up.

My first reply to this was going to be "I'm sorry for using strong language" because my nature is to give people the benefit of the doubt too, but honestly, no. Shut up and listen.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The weirdest is that every place that you search about this movie, the most complex summary you get is

So not only they casted a WOMAN to play the role of a MAN but it probably still uses "trans" part as a plot twist
That's a different movie.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The hubris of being so ingorant on a subject and feeling you can do it justice anyway is incredible. This goes for both Halle and whoever thought it was a good idea to pitch this to her.

The MMA movie is separate from the trans one, she was talking about what she's working on next after filming.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
What part of "Trans men are men" is so hard for these celebrities and such to understand? :\

"It changes to a man" - That NOT what happens. That's NOT how this work. Geez...
Sounds like she's pretty ignorant about this and presumably, so are the people who pitched this movie to her if they didn't give a primer so she'd understand? Idk, probably a more generous take than this deserves.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Felt it was on-topic to note that given Halle Berry has in the past been comfortable with acting in a film containing yellow-face, it stands to reason she may not see the issue with playing a trans character.

I'm subtly pointing out you have no clue what Cloud Atlas was about and the background of the people who authored it. It's fine to criticize Barry for her comments in this specific thread but to bring up Cloud Atlas as additional evidence is misguided.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
cis actors playing trans characters is never not offensive, please stop thinking you will be the one person to do it right

hire trans actors for trans roles

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You need to seriously reassess your post, what value is it bringing to this thread, what is it saying?

You can't just pepper language of doubt into your message to make it more acceptable, and you aren't bringing optimism into a thread by telling transpeople that they are wrong and should shut up.

My first reply to this was going to be "I'm sorry for using strong language" because my nature is to give people the benefit of the doubt too, but honestly, no. Shut up and listen.
I'm not reporting this since I'm not a snitch but the hostility and gaslighting is completely uncalled for.

That's the end of this tangent. I won't be involved in a distraction from the important topic.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's okay to want to be optimistic, but misplaced optimism can be more harmful than good. There are many red flags with Halle's comment that make it clear that she herself doesn't understand the issue or understand how she's being transphobic, even if her intent wasn't to be.

Sounds like she's pretty ignorant about this and presumably, so are the people who pitched this movie to her if they didn't give a primer so she'd understand? Idk, probably a more generous take than this deserves.

That's still no excuse on her part, and in fact is all the more reason why she shouldn't play such a role.

As a reminder to all, trans women are women, trans men are men. It is incredibly egregious and insulting on Halle's part to call this a "female story", or to consistently use the wrong pronouns.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck every single thing she said, holy shit. She shouldn't be able to play a trans character after that.

Also: yes, for the love of god, just hire a trans actor ffs.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Her words make Scarlet Johanson looks a trans ally dear god

cis actors playing trans characters is never not offensive, please stop thinking you will be the one person to do it right

hire trans actors for trans roles

of if your project will catch fire if they hire a trans person (pro tip: it won't), at least hire a cis MAN to play the role of a character who is a MAN

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm subtly pointing out you have no clue what Cloud Atlas was about and the background of the people who authored it. It's fine to criticize Barry for her comments in this specific thread but to bring up Cloud Atlas as additional evidence is misguided.

The author of Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell) is a white man, and his time in Japan doesn't remove the position of privilege from which he writes. I am well aware the Wachowskis are trans if that's what you're getting at. I recognise the themes of Cloud Atlas, but as I said, I didn't feel that message and intent excused content.

Anyway, don't wish to derail - genuinely felt that her role in Cloud Atlas made her sentiments of trans as 'performative' unsurprising.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of ignorance in her comments, but the "it" is clearly referring to the story. She's (ignorantly) saying that it starts off as "a woman's story" and that it (the story) changes to "a man's story," which is a sure fire sign she doesn't get that the transition has no bearing on her character's gender.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trans men are men even before/without transition. Even the most generous reading of these comments is still fucked.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not reporting this since I'm not a snitch but the hostility and gaslighting is completely uncalled for.

That's the end of this tangent. I won't be involved in a distraction from the important topic.

So you're going to sow seeds of doubt as to if something is incredibly transphobic or not, call me hostile for replying, then accuse me of gaslighting? What am I gaslighting you about? Please go back to the source of this conversation and understand that your original post is unproductive and hurtful and why transpeople don't feel welcome here. You're pushing me out of the thread now. I am allowed to speak on this matter without being pushed out by you.

You say you want to end this tangent so that you won't create a distraction but you're highlighting a very real and important problem we've been talking about for threads upon threads here, and it should be discussed.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There is also the point of .... who even remembers Halle Berry ?
What was the last time her name bough people to theaters ?

Like the producers don't even have that excuse anymore