• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
During an Instagram Live with hairstylist Christin Brown, the former X-Men star spoke about her plans for the potential future project.

Berry explained the film was pitched to her some time ago, but was put on the back-burner ahead of production on her directorial debut Bruised, in which she plays a disgraced MMA fighter.

She said: "[It's] a character where the woman is a trans character, so she's a woman that transitioned into a man. She's a character in a project I love that I might be doing."

Halle Berry continued: "This project got pitched to me right when I was the brink of making Bruised, but I so was in the mindset of getting in the body to play that, and I don't know how long I can play an MMA character, so I had to get that out… but this got pitched to me, and I thought, after I do this movie, that's the character I'm going to play."

"I want to experience that world, understand that world. I want to deep dive in that in the way I did Bruised. Who this woman was is so interesting to me, and that will probably be my next project, and that will require me cutting all of my hair off."

She added: "That's what I want to experience and understand and study and explore… it's really important to me to tell stories, and that's a woman, that's a female story – it changes to a man, but I want to understand the why and how of that. I want to get into it."

Oh honey no.... Just no.

www.pinknews.co.uk

Halle Berry says she’s preparing to play a transgender man in a new film, and we are so very, very tired

Halle Berry said she is planning to play a trans man in a new film, and we can only assume that literally zero transgender people were consulted.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Personally I thought Cloud Atlas was pretty nightmarish on all sorts of racial and gender fronts, so this is not a surprising perspective to hear from her.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The "Just asking questions" of trans-acting movie stars. What a bad look for her.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns regarding trans representation over multiple posts
I'm probably being too generous, but perhaps the movie opens with the character being pre-transition and they use she/her in the opening? Unlikely I know, just tired of everyone being shit :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Just...no, Halle. Just no.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
That's what I want to experience and understand and study and explore… but I want to understand the why and how of that. I want to get into it.

Yeah and after you do, go back to read this shit and shrivel into a pile of embarrasment.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
"I want to experience that world, understand that world. I want to deep dive in that in the way I did Bruised. Who this woman was is so interesting to me, and that will probably be my next project, and that will require me cutting all of my hair off."

She added: "That's what I want to experience and understand and study and explore… it's really important to me to tell stories, and that's a woman, that's a female story – it changes to a man, but I want to understand the why and how of that. I want to get into it."

Yeah how about you do that on your own personal time rather than broadcast your ignorance to the world.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If she wants to do a story like this maybe she should be a producer for it and hire a trans actor and a trans writer so this thing isn't a total trash fire.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck can these people not just use google once, read a single article, speak to a single trans person before proudly voicing their ignorance to everyone listening. It's really not that hard.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Holy Christ everything in that's atrocious, just every single word is screaming exactly why it's so incredibly wrong and how she's wholly unqualified for such a role as a cis woman with literally negative understanding of trans people.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

FFS do your damn research Halle! If you're not familiar with a perspective ask some people who know and experienced it! It's not that hard.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Someone needs to sit her down and explain some shit to her. She sounds like she's someone who is totally ignorant and has no idea what she's talking about more than someone who is actively trying to be hateful so hopefully she'll eventually understand how bad she sounds here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Has Berry been under a rock since Catwoman or something? This kind of "she becomes a he" take is so early 2000s it fucking hurts.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Holy Christ everything in that's atrocious, just every single word is screaming exactly why it's so incredibly wrong and how she's wholly unqualified for such a role as a cis woman with literally negative understanding of trans people.
Yep. Even if I'm extremely generous and presume she's just not good at talking about this issue...

That sort of underlines that she is completely wrong for the part.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is so bad it reads like a parody. Like it's an over the top example to show why cis actors playing these roles is a bad idea. Brutal.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should have realized this earlier but after watching disclosure no cis peoplen should ever play trans roles. Basically modern day blackface.

KozukiOden

Feb 5, 2019
How the fuck can these people not just use google once, read a single article, speak to a single trans person before proudly voicing their ignorance to everyone listening. It's really not that hard.

Its like tweeting about transphobic people in the gaming scene but still using transphobic language.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Scar Jo was supposed to do the same but backed out... use her as a lesson