• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying not to watch a lot of this on Twitch, because the half hour or so I've watched of it looked absolutely stunning in terms of moment to moment creativity, visuals, atmosphere, immersion, etc. I'm really hoping to pick this and an Index up after I'm done with school.

I will say as a huge fan of the Half-Life series and the mystique of the franchise, I am a little sad that the success of the game is restricted by its hardware requirements, though, because it would've been really cool to see how huge a "Half-Life 3" would've been, especially if it were also a PS5/XSX launch title, reasserting itself as the preeminent FPS after a 13 year hiatus. I imagine the launch concurrent would have been astronomical, like 15-20x this figure on Steam alone, maybe even as high as 1m, as well as the biggest numbers for each of the consoles at launch (unless maybe Halo Infinite is an XSX launch title).

I guess being the standard bearer for new technology breakthroughs in gaming is still a worthy distinction for the series.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm trying not to watch a lot of this on Twitch, because the half hour or so I've watched of it looked absolutely stunning in terms of moment to moment creativity, visuals, atmosphere, immersion, etc. I'm really hoping to pick this and an Index up after I'm done with school.

I will say as a huge fan of the Half-Life series and the mystique of the franchise, I am a little sad that the success of the game is restricted by its hardware requirements, though, because it would've been really cool to see how huge a "Half-Life 3" would've been, especially if it were also a PS5/XSX launch title, reasserting itself as the preeminent FPS after a 13 year hiatus. I imagine the launch concurrent would have been astronomical, like 15-20x this figure on Steam alone, maybe even as high as 1m, as well as the biggest numbers for each of the consoles at launch (unless maybe Halo Infinite is an XSX launch title).

I guess being the standard bearer for new technology breakthroughs in gaming is still a worthy distinction for the series.

I think you're probably overselling how much Half Life would mean to a PS5/XSX gamer.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pick it up this weekend. Watched a friend play for about an hour and was enthralled.

Left 4 Dead VR when?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're probably overselling how much Half Life would mean to a PS5/XSX gamer.
You really think a new Half-Life game with a 90+ Metacritic as a launch title would not be huge? Orange Box sold 3m in its first year of release and that was three years after HL2 came out. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 both sold 3m each on Xbox 360 alone. Also I hear console gamers like scifi first person shooters.

And you know the hype would be immense for a legendary franchise coming back after 13 years, on the platforms people have or would be getting soon.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
End of the day if this moves the needle for VR becoming more mainstream then it's done what it needs to.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Thats awesome, more people getting into VR every day.

You have to try it to understand it, videos and reviews mean nothing.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
End of the day if this moves the needle for VR becoming more mainstream then it's done what it needs to.
If only Oculus put their games on all storefronts. I think if people saw Alyx and all of Oculus' quality games together on Steam there would be a greater case for them to buy into VR.

I think it's unlikely that big PC gamers find out about Oculus titles unless they go out of their way. If they were on Steam things would be different I think.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I'm so glad, but at the same time I'm so sad

Sometimes I want to forget that this game even exists

One dollar is the equivalent of 5 brazilian reais. So a Valve Index setup would cost me R$ 5.000,00.

Yeah, that's insane. Not even mentioning the cost to build a gaming PC, which would end up being another 5 grand.

I look forward to play this entry on my favorite franchise 10 years from now :(

Anyway, that's great news. We will sure have HL3 in VR

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool to see VR getting bigger. I've never tried it but I really want to some day. Hopefully Sony will make VR games of this level for the PS5. Games like Astrobot are nice and all, but that is not the type of game I would buy a pricey hardware for. But HL: Alyx? Now for that I would.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Very, very nice. It won't be anytime soon, but I'm very much looking forward to the moment I can play this for myself.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I can only wish all the best for Alyx. I also wish it's the last Half Life game on VR.
I hope not. To go back to 2D would be a regression for Half-Life. This is the technological innovation Valve wanted (and waited) for the series to evolve.

Half-Life was about a developing narrative in an unbroken game world, where instead of "levels" broken up by stat screens and "you are now here" a la Doom, you'd walk through an area to find yourself in a new "chapter".

Half-Life 2 took it a step further. Motion capture, realistically animated faces, and a physics engine that gave objects a real sense of weight and presence in the world.

Alyx went further still. Full performance capture, an environment you can reach out and "touch", objects that spill out of the way as you strike them with your hands or tools, and unprecedented interactivity with the world as well as objects and characters within it. It's hard to describe how much of a game changer Alyx is not just for Half-Life, but for VR as a platform.

And through it all, Half-Life never lost the "unbroken game world" that was so integral to the original game. Hell, Alyx even shows you a map showing the path you've followed through the story. It really is incredible how much the game remains connected to its roots while still evolving in meaningful ways.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It also has 97% Positive reviews out of almost 8K reviews.

xItIwrB.png

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
In a way, a testament of the strength of Hal-Life, in another sense a testament to the low penetration of VR in gaming so far.

Oct 27, 2017
I dno I guess these are good numbers for a VR game but for a Half Life title they're kind of bad. I honestly feel like valve has become a provider of niche experiences for tech journos and people with a lot of expendable income. I mean it seems like a revolutionary experience for the 2% of their userbase with the hardware required but for everyone else it might as well be a wet fart. Call me back when VR headsets are actually affordable enough that there's an install base outside of early adaptors.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That sounds insane... Red Dead 2 got to, what, 35,000 in the first 24 hours?
If we're doing random comparisons to non-VR games, then Doom Eternal got to 100,000 in the first 24 hours.

RDR2 launched a whole month later on Steam compared to Rockstar Launcher and Epic Games Store, hence its low concurrent Steam user numbers.

40,000 is really impressive for a VR game. And this is a VR game that will have real legs.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a little sad that the success of the game is restricted by its hardware requirements, though, because it would've been really cool to see how huge a "Half-Life 3" would've been, especially if it were also a PS5/XSX launch title, reasserting itself as the preeminent FPS after a 13 year hiatus. I imagine the launch concurrent would have been astronomical, like 15-20x this figure on Steam alone, maybe even as high as 1m, as well as the biggest numbers for each of the consoles at launch
Why would you care about this?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I really dislike this retcon, it seems like a PR line/explanation they came up with recently to sell their latest VR game to me.

I don't get what else the reason would be, especially after playing the game. Multiple Valve employees said it pretty off-hand, like the interview with Geoff Keighly they agreed that they felt the expectations would never be satiated with a standard game at this point because their past ones always brought something new to the table. VR is innovative tech. Valve said they like doing innovative things with Half Life (and most would agree that this is readily apparent). Valve made Half Life in VR because they wanted to innovate. Hard to find a sensible crack in those premises.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what else the reason would be, especially after playing the game. Multiple Valve employees said it pretty off-hand, like the interview with Geoff Keighly they agreed that they felt the expectations would never be satiated with a standard game at this point because their past ones always brought something new to the table. VR was the reason Half Life was made. VR is innovative tech. They said they like doing innovative things with Half Life. Hard to find a sensible crack in those premises.

It speaks more to Valve being dysfunctional from the inside and them trying to paper over this. Half-Life 3 isn't they only sequel they never produced.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if this is the highest rated Steam game ever? Thankfully you need to own it to post reviews otherwise I bet it would look a lot different.

Well things are good even on Metacritic User reviews.

www.metacritic.com

Half-Life: Alyx

Half-Life: Alyx for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: Half-Life: Alyx is Valve's VR return to the Half-Life series. It's the story of an impossible fight against a vicious alien race known as the Combine, set betwe...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Valve is one of the few willing to take a risk, I wish more would do that (in order for VR to reach a wider audience) but I fully understand not everyone is financially able to.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Depending on the context:
Big for VR games I guess.
Not so much for a brand new Half Life game

Currently not even in the top 75 currently played though :P

Game looks genuinely great, wish I could play it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It speaks more to Valve being dysfunctional from the inside and them trying to paper over this. Half-Life 3 isn't they only sequel they never produced.

Man I can't... even back then that was their philosophy with Half Life so I wasn't surprised for that long wait. Also the didn't want to build a game when the new engine is not even finished unlike Half Life 2.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
It beats the previous record for concurrent player peak (Beat Saber had 42,095, launch window on the Oculus Quest in July 2019) by less than 800 players.
That Beat Saber number has been confirmed to be incorrect. It was due to a bug in SteamVR tracking in July 2019. I believe the devs said the real peak is around 10k, and that might be across all platforms because Steam is only 4k.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wonder how many of them don't even have a VR set to play the game...

Attempting to run the game without a VR headset just gets you as far as SteamVR exiting with an error message saying it couldn't detect a compatible device, so for such users to count as players, they'd have to leave said error window open. While I'm sure some who bought the game in anticipation of owning a VR headset in the near future did try their luck, I can't imagine they left it running in the background, as the SteamVR equivalent of nosoupforyou.gif is literally all there is to see on a VRless system.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
For a VR game.

We will know that VR has broke out at mainstream level when that disclaimer won't be needed anymore.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

So you talk about hardware requirements and then suggest it as a launch title on next gen consoles.. which are also hardware requirements to play it.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome. That's definitely good! You can't really compare a double exclusive to regular games. Of course something that doesn't require something is more popular.

Can't wait to see what Valve puts out next and I'm sure this will push more devs to aim for full fledged VR games that take complete advantage of what VR has to offer.