• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
They've since said that they don't have any VR games other than HL:A in development. So the other two were likely cancelled I guess.

I edited my post, but Coomer said they put all resources on Alyx late in development and there is no concrete plan on what's next. Since Alyx is doing so well, I still would bet on another VR release.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Certainty is the first stage.

Valve has done quite a few interviews lately. If you've watched/listened to them you'll realize why future Half Life games most likely will not be standard PC.

It beats the previous record for concurrent player peak (Beat Saber had 42,095, launch window on the Oculus Quest in July 2019) by less than 800 players.

It's half the price of Alyx and isn't a PC game (well it is, but those aren't the PC numbers). But that's definitely impressive for Quest.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good for a VR gam3, should grabe myself a headset but it's lockdown here so no chance. Hoping they can release it to other headset in the future

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure is cool to have a "VALVE DOESN'T MAKE GAMES" discussion in a topic about their 1-day old game passing 40k in players on launch day.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Watch someone create a thread in a week of so titled "HL:A number drastically plummet after just one week", because that's what always someone does for every hyped up single player game, like no fucking shit the numbers are down, people finished the game :D

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If you've been following Valve in the past, say, 15 years, you'd know they are a company that wouldn't shy away from changing their direction dramatically.

Not sure what your end game is here, because it sounds like you don't like VR and just trashing about talking about the next HL game without any substance whatsoever.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If you've been following Valve in the past, say, 15 years, you'd know they are a company that wouldn't shy away from changing their direction dramatically.

Okay, well they straight up said VR is the reason they went back to Half Life, because it enabled them to do things that standard gaming couldn't do. They specifically talked about how much more user input is possible in VR compared to a m/kb. They also talked about how they have been wanting to create hardware/software congruently to make better experiences.

They can't be much clearer that Half Life has always been about pushing technological innovation; if VR stays a thing then you can bet your ass it will be in VR. If something else comes along that's better, then maybe that will be the thing, but it will likely just be a different form of VR since in a way it's the final destination of accurately simulating environments digitally.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If they wanted to make a flat version of a Half life EP/3 they would have done so within those 13 years lmao

Oh, they definitely wanted that. It just didn't happen.

Okay, well they straight up said VR is the reason they went back to Half Life, because it enabled them to do things that standard gaming couldn't do. They specifically talked about how much more user input is possible in VR compared to a m/kb. They also talked about how they have been wanting to create hardware/software congruently to make better experiences.

They can't be much clearer that Half Life has always been about pushing technological innovation; if VR stays a thing then you can bet your ass it will be in VR. If something else comes along that's better, then maybe that will be the thing, but it will likely just be a different form of VR since in a way it's the final destination of digitally simulating environments.

Possibly. I just don't think that's final. And I wouldn't be surprised if the next game is much more traditional.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Good question. Profits and money and stuff I suppose.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about - basically every single thing you've said in this thread has been contradicted by Valve in recent interviews. Gabe has explicitly said that being a private company they don't have a profit motive and if they did they'd just be cranking out regular HL sequels and instead they're doing whatever they want and pushing boundaries in interactivity.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about - basically every single thing you've said in this thread has been contradicted by Valve in recent interviews. Gabe has explicitly said that being a private company they don't have a profit motive and if they did they'd just be cranking out regular HL sequels and instead they're doing whatever they want and pushing boundaries in interactivity.

All I know is that not making Episode 3 goes agaisnt all the dev commentary I read playing Episode 2. It's very easy to read Valve motives now and just take their word for it. But my point is that this is folly.

Valve will do what Valve will do, and thinking you know what that is is just a illusion.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that not making Episode 3 goes agaisnt all the dev commentary I read playing Episode 2. It's very easy to read Valve motives now and just take their word for it. But my point is that this is folly.

Valve will do what Valve will do, and thinking you know what that is is just a illusion.

Taking their word on a dev commentary from 13 years ago over an interview with gaben from literally last week is sure something

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yes, and if you have been following Valve in the past, say, 15 years, you'd know they don't change their direction dramatically to just do what everyone else is doing.

Yes?

Taking their word on a dev commentary from 13 years ago over an interview with gaben from literally last week is sure something

The dev commentary from 13 years ago was the interview with gaben from literally last week 13 years ago.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes?

The dev commentary from 13 years ago was the interview with gaben from literally last week 13 years ago.

source.gif

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
this whole thread has been "boy i hope a future hl isn't only vr" and "NO NO SHUT UP IT'S ONLY VR VALVE IS GONNA DO THIS FOREVER NOW SHUT UP" and then bickering back and forth on this bullshit. they'll do what they do, it doesn't matter what internet argument happens here or how certain they're sounding about anything. valve works on whatever whim they feel like at the time, and are just as likely to drop it on another, that's the only thing concrete about them.

anyways those are baller numbers for the game given the context.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
this whole thread has been "boy i hope a future hl isn't only vr" and "NO NO SHUT UP IT'S ONLY VR VALVE IS GONNA DO THIS FOREVER NOW SHUT UP" and then bickering back and forth on this bullshit. they'll do what they do, it doesn't matter what internet argument happens here or how certain they're sounding about anything. valve works on whatever whim they feel like at the time, and are just as likely to drop it on another, that's the only thing concrete about them.

anyways those are baller numbers for the game given the context.

That's my point by the way.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pkhVVU2.png

The vast majority of which are to the effect of "Ha ha Valve isn't going to make another game like this next" or, when presented with interviews indicating the opposite, are to the effect of "No I'm right, here's something from 13 years ago."

Very, very cool.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
pkhVVU2.png

The vast majority of which are to the effect of "Ha ha Valve isn't going to make another game like this next" or, when presented with interviews indicating the opposite, are to the effect of "No I'm right, here's something from 13 years ago."

Very, very cool.

VR threads always get derailed by concern trolling

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
pkhVVU2.png

Very, very cool.

I never said Valve won't do another VR game. I said that I don't feel confident enough to say Valve with do another VR game. They might, they might not. If I'm using stuff from 13 years ago, it's to reinforce how much the sheer confidence of the present is not enough to determine what they will do next.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Years ago Valve said they have 3 full fledged VR games in development. I wouldn't doubt if another 1 is HL related.

EDIT; Ignore my post. Apparently they moved all resources to Alyx and nothing is concrete right now.

No need to correct that. They said they are working on 3 AAA VR games, not that they were making them all at once. Alyx was the first now they'll start on the next. I'm betting on something L4D.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, ignore what I said earlier I guess. Considering Beat Saber can also be bought/played via the Oculus Store, it's clearly still had the highest concurrent players.
Not ignoring what you said, but I should've clarified this was entirely based on Steam's data. Obviously being available elsewhere gives it the edge but this is in the context of the thread here.