• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 204 21.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 519 54.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 153 16.2%
  • 80-84

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea that it's okay to bring the pandemic into the review stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what a review is. A review in a professional publication isn't simply an exploration of the reviewer's mental state or subjective experience of the game. We already have user reviews for that. What do game journalists add then?

A professional review is one that aims to help potential players decide if the game is for them, and if it's good. That's the entire philosophy behind Karak's Buy/Rent/Wait For Sale system. As such, you, as a reviewer, are free to feel whatever you felt when playing the game, but when reviewing it, you have to think of yourself as a service provider to potential buyers. You aren't writing your autobiography.
That's a type of review. A review that is very personal and about why something resonates with that person is just as valid as reviews that are directed at an audience. Reviews that treat games as something to experience rather than purely something to buy are important

I often find that deeply personal impressions are far more informative as to why a game is unique or interesting

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm both surprised and elated at the lack of "The game is great but does not hold up under 13 years of expectations," reviews. I expected many and for it to really get in the way of giving a clear picture of how people felt about the game.
It kind of dodged that by being VR - I don't think there's really anything else to compare it with in that space.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it kinda is the same thing. In both these situations, a factor not in the professional's control has affected the work of that professional. And in both these situations, though this influence is understandable (whether on the game or the review), it can't be argued the influence hasn't spoiled the quality of the work. In the game's case by making it a worse experience for players, and in the review's case by making it a worse guide for potential buyers who are reading to know whether they should buy this game.
Games don't exist in a vacuum. Life, culture, and the world outside all influence how we perceive and resonate with something. Impressions are experience, context, and quality working in concert

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it kinda is the same thing. In both these situations, a factor not in the professional's control has affected the work of that professional. And in both these situations, though this influence is understandable (whether on the game or the review), it can't be argued the influence hasn't spoiled the quality of the work. In the game's case by making it a worse experience for players, and in the review's case by making it a worse guide for potential buyers who are reading to know whether they should buy this game.

It's almost like journalism and critique can be an examination of a work's place in the world and the influence it can and can't have on you and others. An examination of a piece of art doesn't have to be a faux-objective amalgamation of "facts" about that game. See also: Austin Walker's review of Daemon X Machina: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...with-colorful-and-dynamic-mecha-action-review Reviews don't have to try to be "objective". They don't have to be a buyer's guide. It can be whatever the authors wants it to be.

Nobody of you loses anything by reporters openly talking and writing about their subjective experiences while playing a game. There are still dozens, hundreds of articles not doing that. Since Patrick apologized for it even though I thought he was entirely on point with it i feel like repeating it here: Grow up.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fucking loving this. Look at them glowing reviews for that VR HL game. Glad that the reviewers also had a great time with it overall and didn't throw up all over the place. :::)

Edit: just read the rest of this review thread. *sigh* of course, I don't know why I almost expected otherwise.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
That's a type of review. A review that is very personal and about why something resonates with that person is just as valid as reviews that are directed at an audience. Reviews that treat games as something to experience rather than purely something to buy are important

I often find that deeply personal impressions are far more informative as to why a game is unique or interesting
Deeply personal experiences can be a part of the review. But they should never overshadow the primary purpose of a professional review, which I have already talked about. I can go to steam reviews for deeply personal reviews. The top reviews there are often more insightful, funny and compelling than what most game journalists deliver. And I don't mean this as a shade on game journalists. Writing talent is everywhere, and some players are really talented at communicating their emotional experience in words.

I believe that in the Venturebeat review, the personal experience overshadows the primary purpose of the review. And as such, it's a poor review. That doesn't mean that the author of the review is a bad writer or even a bad journalist. It simply means that in this instance, for me, this review didn't deliver on its primary purpose.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Deeply personal experiences can be a part of the review. But they should never overshadow the primary purpose of a professional review, which I have already talked about. I can go to steam reviews for deeply personal reviews. The top reviews there are often more insightful, funny and compelling than what most game journalists deliver. And I don't mean this as a shade on game journalists. Writing talent is everywhere, and some players are really talented at communicating their emotional experience in words.

I believe that in the Venturebeat review, the personal experience overshadows the primary purpose of the review. And as such, it's a poor review. That doesn't mean that the author of the review is a bad writer or even a bad journalist. It simply means that in this instance, for me, this review didn't deliver on its primary purpose.

You seem to think you have the authority on what the "main purpose" of a review is. You don't. You know what you want out of a review. That doesn't mean that any other form of review is any less valid, accurate or necessary.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oh man sounds amazing. As someone who has not played half-life, but heard so much about it. I would love to try this game if it ever came out on next-gen PSVR

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this thread sure is a thing.

All I want to know is if this game does unique, new things for VR to move the medium forward or if it's just that it is a competent narrative game in VR? I don't like the Half Life series at all, so unless it does something truly unique and new I'll probably pass.

From what I've seen, the interactivity with the world is the most interesting thing in this game so far, the number of things you can mess with and use is astounding.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's almost like journalism and critique can be an examination of a work's place in the world and the influence it can and can't have on you and others. An examination of a piece of art doesn't have to be a faux-objective amalgamation of "facts" about that game. See also: Austin Walker's review of Daemon X Machina: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...with-colorful-and-dynamic-mecha-action-review Reviews don't have to try to be "objective". They don't have to be a buyer's guide. It can be whatever the authors wants it to be.

Nobody of you loses anything by reporters openly talking and writing about their subjective experiences while playing a game. There are still dozens, hundreds of articles not doing that. Since Patrick apologized for it even though I thought he was entirely on point with it i feel like repeating it here: Grow up.
Please. There's no need to be rude. We can discuss an issue without calling each other names or throwing childish insults.

No one's arguing that a review should simply be a buying guide. The idea is a little more nuanced. It's that as a reviewer, you aren't writing the review for yourself. You are writing it for an audience. And that must be considered when the review is being composed. Since the majority of that audience will be reading that review to make a buying decision (whether immediately or in the future), that must serve as a strong consideration in the reviewer's mind. That means, saying - "I dislike this horror game because it involves a character falling down a well and as a kid I fell down a well and it was traumatizing" is not a good review. But saying "I wasn't able to enjoy this game as much as I wanted to due to the fact that it echoes <traumatic childhood experience>, but it's a great horror title and most horror aficionados are really going to enjoy it" is a good review. It acknowledges the quality of the game even while mentioning the personal experience, and doesn't let the personal experience sabotage the primary goal of the review.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Really looking forward to playing this one day, glad they decided to go the VR route.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Couldn't even be the highest rated game of the month. Why did they even bother. What a disappointment. /s

In all seriousness, I'm jealous of those that get to play it right now. Will be a while before I get a VR set for my PC.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You seem to think you have the authority on what the "main purpose" of a review is. You don't. You know what you want out of a review. That doesn't mean that any other form of review is any less valid, accurate or necessary.
I never said I had any sort of authority. We are all sharing our opinions. At the end of the day, you're free to disagree with anything I say (as you do here). We'll just amicably agree to disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ouTpFyj.png

hngggggg

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Please. There's no need to be rude. We can discuss an issue without calling each other names or throwing childish insults.

No one's arguing that a review should simply be a buying guide. The idea is a little more nuanced. It's that as a reviewer, you aren't writing the review for yourself. You are writing it for an audience. And that must be considered when the review is being composed. Since the majority of that audience will be reading that review to make a buying decision (whether immediately or in the future), that must serve as a strong consideration in the reviewer's mind. That means, saying - "I dislike this horror game because it involves a character falling down a well and as a kid I fell down a well and it was traumatizing" is not a good review. But saying "I wasn't able to enjoy this game as much as I wanted to due to the fact that it echoes <traumatic childhood experience>, but it's a great horror title and most horror aficionados are really going to enjoy it" is a good review. It acknowledges the quality of the game even while mentioning the personal experience, and doesn't let the personal experience sabotage the primary goal of the review.

So two things, the review in question is an 8/10. There are more things than just the virus that are in that review - notably things that broke the reviewers immersion (hands getting stuck on things - using teleportation). So describing it as sabotage is... interesting. Was it a part of it? Sure but people are acting like that is all the review contains and seem to be ignoring that the review does in fact contain a lot of praise for the game.

Secondly, your example of "good reviews" doesn't seem to take into account that perhaps the audience that the writer was going for are people who may have similar views to themselves.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got my work machine in the house and this joint is kitted out.

"Man, maybe I should grab an Index and play some HALF LIFEL: ALYX..."
*Checks Valve site*
"EIGHT WEEK BACKORDER?!!!"

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Score is at a 93 on metacritic. Most games drop a point or 2 after a couple of days. Safe to say this is going to finish in the 90's. I'm enjoying it a lot so far and I'm impressed. Valve still got it.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I will say that Half-Life: Alyx is perhaps the first VR game that gets close to making the player feel like they are a tangible part of the world. It represents some of the absolute best that VR technology can offer right now, and I would point to this particular game for anyone who wants to decide for themselves if VR is "worth it."

WorthPlaying - 9.8/10

www.worthplaying.com

PC Review - 'Half-Life: Alyx'

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Alyx features Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mounting the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by an alien race known as The Combine.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am glad it's reviewing well even if I'll never play it myself. Bittersweet but at least the franchise is continuing and having success.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands

Just wanted to say that this is a good post, agreeably written. Thanks for writing it.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Port begging; history of similar behavior
Holy shot Sony needs to lock this down for PS5 PSVR!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
mfw i have 3 more hours of class before i get to play D:

hope everyone is having a blast, these reviews are fantastic

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen, the interactivity with the world is the most interesting thing in this game so far, the number of things you can mess with and use is astounding.
That could be interesting then, maybe I'll check it out despite the franchise not being of interest to me. Wish we got a Portal VR game instead lol

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
If they can port this to PSVR, I can see it being a killer app for that platform especially if it's a lowest cost of entry for most people.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
damn. reviewed better than I expected. I'll get this someday when it's released on consoles.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Great scores as expected,this year started slow,but now in an incredible streak,unfortunately I will not play.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
MC(24 reviews) now 93 and OC(23 reviews) now 92

And I suspect these 10/10 reviews weren't posted here as of yet...

www.vrfocus.com

Review: Half-Life: Alyx - GMW3

Valve does not disappoint.

www.vg247.com

Half-Life: Alyx review - VR's killer app is a key component in the Half-Life story

News, reviews and opinions on the biggest video games.

www.dualshockers.com

Half-Life: Alyx Review — Welcome Back to City 17

Through the lens of VR, Half-Life: Alyx is an amazing experience that blends action and storytelling with a profound level of immersion.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Review: Half-Life Alyx is VR’s stunning killer app | VGC

A stunning return for Half-Life and an essential VR purchase - if you have the required equipment and space.