• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 204 21.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 519 54.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 153 16.2%
  • 80-84

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
VentureBeat's review is pure garbage: "Real life is scary right now so Half Life Alyx isn't the right game to play."

Otherwise I'm happy to see reviewers are loving it.

The writer seems pissed about having to write the review, not about the game itself. It affected his enjoyment of the game, clearly. VentureBeat should've picked someone else to review it, I suppose.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not to be a pain vestan , but can we have the two review banners click link to the relevant review aggregate sites?

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
The writer seems pissed about having to write the review, not about the game itself. It affected his enjoyment of the game, clearly. VentureBeat should've picked someone else to review it, I suppose.

Why? Games do not exist in a vacuum, they exist as moments of culture within wider society. There was a time while reviewing Alyx where, late in the night, it hit me that I needed to call my mother and tell her she was no longer allowed to see her grandchild. I cried into the VR headset, and had to give myself a moment of "What the fuck am I doing here?" before progressing forward. Reflecting that in your examination of the art makes perfect sense. You have plenty of extremely positive reviews from people who didn't have that hangup. Grow up.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
But a lot of people do. That's why so many people complain about cyberpunk being first person. But developers all have to make the decision of the type of game they want to make.

VR has never made me motion sick unless framerate is really bad. It's just as valid a format as regular first person design in regards to motion sickness. There's plenty of solutions in VR to alleviate it if needed.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I ignored this until seeing this thread. Now that I've seen video reviews, I'm hella jealous. I just can't afford a VR set right now, let alone the Index which looks to be the best way to experience this (I tried PSVR and hated it, but loved using a Vive). This looks like exactly the kind of AAA gaming experience that VR deserves. Maybe next year, I'll get to play.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Argh this is the absolute worst time to be stuck at work. Don't get off until 1am local time so probably just going to end up starting the pre-load decryption and then going to sleep...

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's the thing they lead off with and put in the header though, so hugely important to them.
It seems to be a review from someone who isn't a fan of horror games, and the situation in the real world seems to have affected their enjoyment but it's not as if the VentureBeat writer has dragged the game with a negative review for that reason. It's actually a very positive on the game itself

I know you weren't the one who said it but I'm having trouble seeing why others have said it's 'hot garbage'. I don't identify with that mindset but it's certainly one that I know some people have so I see the value in the review for others.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
aqmpcu0fslz0n2qly5ny_jpg_1200x0_crop_q85.jpg

Changed gaming in 98. Changed it again in 2004. One more time in 2020.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I get to play this someday. I played HL2 several years after it was released so I guess it's no big deal.
Why? Games do not exist in a vacuum, they exist as moments of culture within wider society. There was a time while reviewing Alyx where, late in the night, it hit me that I needed to call my mother and tell her she was no longer allowed to see her grandchild. I cried into the VR headset, and had to give myself a moment of "What the fuck am I doing here?" before progressing forward. Reflecting that in your examination of the art makes perfect sense. You have plenty of extremely positive reviews from people who didn't have that hangup. Grow up.
Why wouldn't you remove your VR headset before crying

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It seems to be a review from someone who isn't a fan of horror games, and the situation in the real world seems to have affected their enjoyment but it's not as if the VentureBeat writer has dragged the game with a negative review for that reason. It's actually a very positive on the game itself

I know you weren't the one who said it but I'm having trouble seeing why others have said it's 'hot garbage'. I don't identify with that mindset but it's certainly one that I know some people have so I see the value in the review for others.

Yeah, having read the review, I feel like all the other reasons explained and expanded on in there make sense for his scoring. To the degree that even without mentioning C19, the review would still reflect the score he gives it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Why? Games do not exist in a vacuum, they exist as moments of culture within wider society. There was time while reviewing Alyx where, late in the night, it hit me that I needed to call my mother and tell her she was no longer allowed to see her grandchild. I cried into the VR headset, and had to give myself a moment of "What the fuck am I doing here?" before progressing forward. Reflecting that in your examination of the art makes perfect sense. You have plenty of extremely positive reviews from people who didn't have that hangup. Grow up.

As a reviewer myself, I strongly disagree. I think that our mission is to judge a product on its own merits and while I can understand real-world events influencing the score if the game is commenting on them, I struggle to think of any logical reason why the score of HL: Alyx should be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. If anything the game comes out at a time when people desperately need distractions from the issues of the real world and some entertainment in their homes because they can't go out and enjoy life outside.

Draughn

Oct 29, 2017
Redmond, WA

I completely disagree with this. Reviews would need to be consumed with history books, weather reports and the reviewers mood ring to determine if the score was based on the game or the reviewers off day. Let's be honest and say that you have no business reviewing a game that you don't want to play (at absolutely no fault of the game). I agree with others that it likely didn't impact the number, but come on saying it's ok to review games like that.

Oct 29, 2017
Could not disagree more with this honestly. The game should be reviewed on its merits alone, and if a reviewer doesn't feel comfortable reviewing a game due certain circumstances, they should let someone else review it.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing scores. Didn't anticipate any less since Valve wouldn't sully their foundational franchise with something half assed. Very bummed it's a VR game still but I'm excited to watch some play through on YouTube just to see that world again.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really kind of sucks to know that there's a full blown new half life and you can't play it, but well nothing I can do about it

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As a reviewer myself, I strongly disagree. I think that our mission is to judge a product on its own merits and while I can understand real-world events influencing the score if the game is commenting on them, I struggle to think of any logical reason why the score of HL: Alyx should be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. If anything the game comes out at a time when people desperately need distractions from the issues of the real world and some entertainment in their homes because they can't go out and enjoy life outside.
Because the tone, setting, graphics, atmosphere and general feel of the game only underline the current general day to day life instead of distracting from it. Even I thought that was pretty clear from the review.