• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I had a really big shower thought while thinking of this trailer.

Here's what we know for sure:

* Valve recommends people play Half-Life 2 Episode 2 even though this is supposedly a prequel.

* There are lines from Eli (with the new VA) directly from HL2E2 in the trailer.

* A Vort says "You will not save him. Alyx Vance alone can not prevent his fate."

* We know from Portal the Borealis has become unstuck in time & space.

* We know the original outline for Half-Life 2 Episode 3 was that G-Man would team up with Alyx and it'd involve a crazy time & space trip in the Borealis including seeing the 7 Hour War.

* The old man says "If we get this weapon we can change things forever."

I have a big feeling this game is pulling a Metal Gear Solid 2 style misdirection, and this isn't actually a prequel at all.

Big feeling this is Alyx (with the help of the G-Man in the future) using the Borealis/G-Mans abilities? to change the past by working with the guy who in HL2E3 was supposed to take Gordon & Alyx to the Borealis, so they can get to the Borealis in the past before the Combine ever finds it and try to change Eli Vance's fate from HL2E2 and curb the Combine.

So it's a prequel in the sense that you're doing stuff in the past, but in reality going to be primarily about the present/future of Half-Life.

Even if it isn't that, I don't think this is actually solely a prequel either way.

They will pull an Outlast Whistleblwoer DLC stunt with this with the events taking place before HL2 events, then during HL2 events then afetr HL2 EP2 events. That is why they recommened playing EP2 first, just exactly liek how you shoudl finish Outlast before playing Whistleblower eventhough that DLC starts before the event of Outlast (then later meets with the event of Outlast and the last part is even after the events of Outlast). Logical.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, I am not seeing anything that makes the HL:A G-Man look more cartoony or less photo-real than the previous. I guess his pores are no longer the size of the holes in Pinheads face anymore?

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing anything in the hl2 model that looks better in that comparison.
I should say the character models in game. G man didn't give off that vibe as much. They have a sort of stubby/chubby look to them which I don't think will be apparent while viewing through a headset. Visuals and style look superb but it did strike me as different but familiar. I'm digging it.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
fuck man i had a vive and i hated it

made my face hot

it was a lot of fucking set up

i really regretted the purchase, I only used it 2-3 times and wound up selling it.

god

im about to buy an index aren't i

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this was discussed already...but didn't the previous main writer of the HL series posted his conclusion for the series a few months ago on his website and expressing disappointment with Valve that they weren't doing anything anymore with the series? And now we get Alyx reveal...Does this mean the game was made without any involvement of him?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Sorry if this was discussed already...but didn't the previous main writer of the HL series posted his conclusion for the series a few months ago on his website and expressing disappointment with Valve that they weren't doing anything anymore with the series? And now we get Alyx reveal...Does this mean the game was made without any involvement of him?
He is sharing his input with Valve's writing team throughout the development.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...this might be big. Tyler McVicker is saying that he's heard that Merle Dandridge is actually voicing Alyx for most of the game.

The two voice clips he plays from the trailer does sound like two different people.

I'll be entirely honest, that's what I thought. In the trailer she says a thing that does not sound like Alyx at all - immediately followed by "So what's the plan?" or something which sounds 10000% like original Alyx.

Something is up lol

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
So...this might be big. Tyler McVicker is saying that he's heard that Merle Dandridge is actually voicing Alyx for most of the game.

The two voice clips he plays from the trailer does sound like two different people.
Unrelated to the Merle stuff, but what mod is being played on top of HL2/Minerva Metastasis there? Those animations look pretty dang good.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After viewing the trailer several times, I find myself looking forward to seeing an actual demo of the game being played. I have so many question about the structure of the gameplay. For example, does Half-Life: Alyx play like Half-Life 1 through HL 2: Episode 2 in that the player will walk (teleport or whatever) freely through the world? Or is the game divided up in some way to make it more accessible for people in VR?

Having played a number of VR games, I've found that some of the best do away with traditional first-person world design in favour of stationary gameplay based around an extremely high level of interactivity. Those that do have free movement, generally have some sort of gimmick which makes it work in VR. About the only game I have played in VR that approaches a traditional flat-screen game in design is Lone Echo.

Jumping from the environment complexity in Lone Echo to what is on display for Half-Life: Alyx would be a major achievement. HL: Alyx looks like a mix of a traditional first-person game and Job Simulator in terms of level design and interactivity. At least, that is the impression I have from the trailer and what has been said outside of that.

I think that is what excites me most about Half-Life: Alyx, not just that it is another Half-Life game, but that it might be the culmination of the last several years in VR game design.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn on the Dandridge stuff, after watching the vid, because it's impossible to say what's going on behind the scenes. Recastings aren't uncommon including after extensive recording with original actors, if the production team feel like the performance isn't meeting their standard. For example, it is possible that Dandridge was cast and has done a lot of early recording work, and eventually Valve just felt her voice (which will have also aged over a decade) doesn't fit the character they're writing and the performance they expect. It's not a nice reality, but its a possible one.

On the other hand, time dialation is a staple of Half-Life, and so there could be narrative beats involving Alyx at various states of her life, thus multiple castings.

Who knows.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
As a long time PC Gamer who grew up playing Half Life and its expansions + Half Life 2 + expansions, and who things it's still one of the greatest FPS series ever, but who doesn't own a VR headset or plan to, this is hugely disappointing. I want a proper Half Life game. Not some VR thing.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
As a long time PC Gamer who grew up playing Half Life and its expansions + Half Life 2 + expansions, and who things it's still one of the greatest FPS series ever, but who doesn't own a VR headset or plan to, this is hugely disappointing. I want a proper Half Life game. Not some VR thing.

This being a VR game and a proper half life game are not mutually exclusive.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well fuck everything, just bought an Index, mostly for this title, I needed to play it with the knuckles.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's all misdirections

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

No, he was really clear with the opposite. He's even helped guide the writers for the new game.

As usual it's more conjecture and whining, yelled loud enough to be "fact". He retired and is writing a new book last I heard, outside of answering Alyx writers questions.

5j88dFR.jpg

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

made my face hot

i really regretted the purchase, I only used it 2-3 times and wound up selling it.

god

I love my Index, and I wholly think it's the best headset, but if the setup is a big sticking point for you maybe consider the Rift S or Quest. They're super painless to set up in comparison, and far cheaper.

Imo the quality difference is real, but Index is firmly a hardcore enthusiast device.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Fun speculation time:
Between Valve's "hey you should really play Episode 2 before this", Eli's "Close your eyes honey!" in the trailer, and Dandridge's voice maybe being in the trailer and in game files behind the scenes, it really does seem like there will be a significant flash forward in the game. I could see them recreating the final scene from Ep 2 and then another new scene or two beyond that setting up Alyx's motivation and the plot for the next game (and this would be where all the Merle audio files comes in). Gordon would presumably be knocked out the whole time so you don't have some mute weirdo staring at you.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh man this video put a huge damper on things for me. Apparently the smooth locomotion option isn't implemented properly into the current build of the game. Moreover according to an interview the teleportation way of moving around was the intended design for the game.

So pardon the pun (and the hyperbole) but VR gameplay basically takes some steps forward but at the same time takes us back to games like Myst, Riven, etc? Great...

Oct 27, 2017

Oh man this video put a huge damper on things for me. Apparently the smooth locomotion option isn't implemented properly into the current build of the game. Moreover according to an interview the teleportation way of moving around was the intended design for the game.

So pardon the pun (and the hyperbole) but VR gameplay basically takes some steps forward but at the same time takes us back to games like Myst, Riven, etc? Great...

This is silly.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

The gameplay we've seen seems to be smooth locomotion. Teleport spots is probably the best way to create a consistent experience between players if you want to make sure a player sees X at Y so they do Z.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Geoff has played through it all. In that interview, he asks "Why isn't this HL3?" He is fucking in on it. He lives for this Kojima shit.

People are going to be so salty when they change the name of this game to Half-Life 3 on release day, lol.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

made my face hot

god

The setup hasn't changed much, though there are lots of QOL improvements over the years (such as the lighthouses power on and off on their own without issues now, the audio automatically toggles to the right devices).

Comfort is vastly, vastly improved over the Vive though. It takes only a second or two to put the headset on and be comfortable and it doesn't suffocate your face anymore as the mount is very well balanced. If you're playing a game that isn't high intensity (like No Man's Sky or something) it's pretty easy to leave the headset on for hours.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The gameplay we've seen seems to be smooth locomotion. Teleport spots is probably the best way to create a consistent experience between players if you want to make sure a player sees X at Y so they do Z.
I think you are misinformed about "teleport spots" in that there are predetermined spots you can teleport to that are hand placed. The teleport system should be more like it is in SteamVR Home where you can teleport anywhere. There isn't going to be a handful of spots you can teleport to.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I had a really big shower thought while thinking of this trailer.

Here's what we know for sure:

* Valve recommends people play Half-Life 2 Episode 2 even though this is supposedly a prequel.

* There are lines from Eli (with the new VA) directly from HL2E2 in the trailer.

* A Vort says "You will not save him. Alyx Vance alone can not prevent his fate."

* We know from Portal the Borealis has become unstuck in time & space.

* We know the original outline for Half-Life 2 Episode 3 was that G-Man would team up with Alyx and it'd involve a crazy time & space trip in the Borealis including seeing the 7 Hour War.

* The old man says "If we get this weapon we can change things forever."

I have a big feeling this game is pulling a Metal Gear Solid 2 style misdirection, and this isn't actually a prequel at all.

Big feeling this is Alyx (with the help of the G-Man in the future) using the Borealis/G-Mans abilities? to change the past by working with the guy who in HL2E3 was supposed to take Gordon & Alyx to the Borealis, so they can get to the Borealis in the past before the Combine ever finds it and try to change Eli Vance's fate from HL2E2 and curb the Combine.

So it's a prequel in the sense that you're doing stuff in the past, but in reality going to be primarily about the present/future of Half-Life.

Even if it isn't that, I don't think this is actually solely a prequel either way.

This....Hmm this makes perfect sense

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Doesn't bother me either, my impression is that it's mainly people who don't play VR who think it will be immersive breaking.
Yep. It always looks silly and then you actually play VR games and realize it isn't that silly, especially when the alternative leads to a lot of awkward arm angles that aren't possible in real life.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Fun speculation time:
Between Valve's "hey you should really play Episode 2 before this", Eli's "Close your eyes honey!" in the trailer, and Dandridge's voice maybe being in the trailer and in game files behind the scenes, it really does seem like there will be a significant flash forward in the game. I could see them recreating the final scene from Ep 2 and then another new scene or two beyond that setting up Alyx's motivation and the plot for the next game (and this would be where all the Merle audio files comes in). Gordon would presumably be knocked out the whole time so you don't have some mute weirdo staring at you.

With the hints in the trailer that the plot is partially about "saving" Eli and the call-backs (forwards?) to the end the episode 2 I'm starting to wonder if the twist might be that Alyx knows about the events at the end of Episode 2 (or it's after them), and she's trying to change/prevent them. Of course it would also add an extra layer of cruelty to it if she had foreseen the end but can't prevent it... (as well as a bunch of anger/motivation for future games if she knows/finds out the G-Man is involved in some way)

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God.

Can you imagine if they actually deliver the storyline follow up Episode 2's cliffhanger and conclusion to the HL2 saga and its VR only so only a fraction of those people can see it.

DO IT GABE! BURN IT DOWN! KILL VR AND HALF LIFE IN ONE GO!

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
What if it's not a prequel but a parallel ever so slightly different universe. One with New Zealanders and gravity gloves

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I think you are misinformed about "teleport spots" in that there are predetermined spots you can teleport to that are hand placed. The teleport system should be more like it is in SteamVR Home where you can teleport anywhere. There isn't going to be a handful of spots you can teleport to.
oh so its just teleport with an animation?