• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
EJ9Y4PrUcAIa9ut

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
That moment at the 57 second mark has me seriously intrigued.

You need to manually use your hands to sweep aside stuff on the shelf, find some ammo, eject your gun, pick up the ammo with your free hand, chamber the round, then rotate, aim, and fire.

If the controls are as precise as that scene makes them look, this could seriously be a major step forward in game immersion.
it wouldnt be too suprising, manual reloading of weapons and stuff like that is common place in VR whats the most impressive is the environments and physics which imo is only comparable to Boneworks which comes out on Dec10 and is a game that they have played and they have collabed with the devs of that for help on solving some of the issues that kinda stuff presents in VR.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
Should add a poll which asks how many people have a VR head set and can actually play it.

It looks great but not spend £800 on VR gear for one title good.

Interesting that the said in the interview only 50 ppl worked on the title. That sounds like quite a small development team for a 15hour game. I wonder if the game is on rails.
True but you don't need to get an Index, The Rift S is £399

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
In the trailer Dr Eli Vance says "Close your eyes honey". This is the exact same line from the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2. Therefore, I wonder if this truly is a prequel or is this some sort of time travel story where Alyx tries to alter the ending of Half Life 2.

It's like I teleported back to 2007 and I'm pissed all over again at that cliff-hanger ending. Not pissed because it's a cliffhanger, but because we're 12 years later with no end. :(

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I guess this will be the breaking point for me. I've loved all my ventures into VR hardware, especially the Vive, but held off getting one for myself. Almost broke a few times, but this is probably going to tip me over the edge haha.

Question is...what. Index is stupidly expensive, and not available in Australia. Vive Pro seems neat, but even more expensive. I don't mind it being an investment purchase for the best experience. Hmm.
honestly go with oculus. Rift S or Quest is up to you but they have easily the best controllers outside of the Index controllers (which to be fair you can get to work with a VIVE if you wanted to drop some money on top of that)

edir: that and the experience is the same as the VIVE imo plus its easy access to the exclusives which are great like Asgards Wrath. You can get em working on vive but kinda of a pain you can avoid

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like I teleported back to 2007 and I'm pissed all over again at that cliff-hanger ending. Not pissed because it's a cliffhanger, but because we're 12 years later with no end. :(

Well, if this is some Avengers style time travel story, the end will be resolved. However, "Close your eyes honey" being in both Half Life 2 Episode 2 and Half Life Alyx could be nothing more than a nod/easter egg. Much in the same way that Metal Gear Solid likes to reuse "Kept you waiting, huh?".

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Like you said, that's just your opinion. I only got VR two months ago and 90% of my gaming time has gone to that due to all the good games. Between Asguards wrath, lone echo, Moss, beat Saber, psychonauts, Boneworks etc. The games are absolutely there in my opinion, it's not the platforms fault they don't appeal to you.

Yep. The posts saying how the investment for one game is too much are quite frustrating.

There's a ton of great VR content out there! You're buying into a whole new frontier of gaming. If HL:A pushes you to finally take the leap, make sure to check out the other cool stuff that's being done in the space.

Play Superhot VR you cowards

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
you know....I might actually get the new index controllers for this.
I know that I can use the original vive controllers but they do kinda suck.
I am still happy with my original vive and the deluxe headstrap.

Only thing concerning me is that it would lock me into the the vive/htc hardware line for another few yers.
My plan was to wait until 2021 before I invest into VR again.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
My key takeaway from the trailer is that they've finally gotten the feel and sound of firearms right for Half Life on any iteration of the Source engine.

Coming from GoldSrc's take on the Glock and MP5, using the 9mm pistol and SMG felt like playing with a bunch of plastic imitations thoughtout 2 and its episodes.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
In the trailer Dr Eli Vance says "Close your eyes honey". This is the exact same line from the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2. Therefore, I wonder if this truly is a prequel or is this some sort of time travel story where Alyx tries to alter the ending of Half Life 2.

Doesn't have to be time travel. Could start pre-hl2 and just carry on sequentially through alex's life up to the franchise cliffhanger

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Doesn't have to be time travel. Could start pre-hl2 and just carry on sequentially through alex's life up to the franchise cliffhanger

This is what I'm expecting. The idea is to just bring players back up to date with who these people are, make you care for them all over again, then remind you what happened 12 years ago right at the end.

Half Life: Alyx is just Valve resetting the dinner table.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, here's a transcript because now I think the preceding line is important too.

Halfe Life: Alyx

Vortigaunt: "You will not save him, Alyx Vance alone cannot prevent his fate."

Eli: "Close your eyes honey".

Half Life 2: Episode 2

*Eli dies*

Whose fate is the Vortigaunt talking about? I think it insinuates Eli, although it could be talking about Gordon or some new character. Maybe even that robot dog but that placement just before what Eli says is highly suspect. She is trying to prevent someone's fate in this game but she can't do it alone. I wonder if that confirms Gordon Freeman returns.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't think that's exactly accurate. The reason Artifact had issues taking off is because it's in a very competitive space. We aren't lacking for good digital card games with a healthy userbase these days. On the other hand, when Valve stopped making HL and Portal, it definitely left a huge void in that sort of first person action experience. Practically no one else makes that sort of action-adventure experience well. Titanfall 2's campaign was the last game that offered that and it got a lot of acclaim for it.

With or without HL Alyx being announced, Artificat was going to be a hard sell.
It was a factor, but one of many and certainly not the defining one. Lots of reasons for the failure, and most of them on Valve (although I maintain the base game is amazing). But there was definitely a vocal base of Valve fans that wouldn't shut the fuck up about Half Life and immediately dismissed anything else that Valve did. From the start there were people actively rooting for Artifact (and Underlords, and everything else Valve did - including VR) to fail because it just wasn't what they wanted. DOTA and Artifact were review bombed. This is Valve's third game in a year and a half but up until a few days ago there were still people complaining that Valve didn't make games anymore. They were making games, and people missed out.

But anyway, I'm glad the Half Life fans got their bone so they can stop crying when Valve does anything else.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm all for time jumps.

Let's go back to Black Mesa. I wanna stand in Black Mesa. I wanna hear the robotic PA system. I wanna see the vents of that facility again. I wanna hear the hum of the lights.

VR Black Mesa me.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, we probably won't see any major headset upgrades for another 2 to 3 years or so anyway.

I will wait and see how essential the knuckle controllers would be for HL-A and decide then.
What bugs me most about the OG Vive Controllers is that stupid track pad. Games like Skyrim, where you can walk around using the pad are really hard to play for me because the pad is sooo finicky.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I'm pretty surprised I must say.

Sure, it looks amazing, but I thought the VR hate would be stronger.
I'm seeing most VR hate here (and I assume places like IGN) tbh. At the end of the day VR is amazing tech, it's literally what tons of people have dreamed about since they were kids. Most people can put the price/availability issue aside and just be happy this dream is becoming a reality.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Okay, here's a transcript because now I think the preceding line is important too.

Halfe Life: Alyx

Vortigaunt: "You will not save him, Alyx Vance alone cannot prevent his fate."

Half Life 2: Episode 2

*Eli dies*

Whose fate is the Vortigaunt talking about? I think it insinuates Eli, although it could be talking about Gordon or some new character. Maybe even that robot dog but that placement just before what Eli says is highly suspect. She is trying to prevent someone's fate in this game but she can't do it alone. I wonder if that confirms Gordon Freeman returns.
Might be the Vortigaunt being cryptic as always, same way G-Man said to prepare for unforseen consequences. Maybe they know what is going to happen far in the future already.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty surprised I must say.

Sure, it looks amazing, but I thought the VR hate would be stronger.

Angry Joe in his trailer reaction said he came into this wanting to hate the game but was impressed following the trailer. I guess because the game doesn't look like the smaller more experimental titles that VR games tend to usually be but rather a full fledged title, it found acceptance.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Angry Joe in his trailer reaction said he came into this wanting to hate the game but was impressed following the trailer. I guess because the game doesn't look like the smaller more experimental titles that VR games tend to usually be but rather a full fledged title, it found acceptance.
Yeah, my friends who almost entirely all shit on VR were very impressed by the trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
Like, really? It's a paywall when a new game relying on new technology requires new hardware to play it?

Will people be complaining that Uncharted 5 is behind a paywall when it requires a PS5?

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
I won't be able to play for a long time but i am glad it exists.

I feel like we'll get more of these as a way to continue stories in the Half Life universe but sidestepping the need to add a '3' to any of the titles. I.e. Half Life:Freeman, Half Life:Barney, Half Life:Gman. (Hey, you never know. ;) )

emphyrian

May 17, 2018
Like, really? It's a paywall when a new game relying on new technology requires new hardware to play it?

Will people be complaining that Uncharted 5 is behind a paywall when it requires a PS5?

Exactly. I've been on PC for about 20 years now and a few big games I have wanted to play in that time have all required some sort of upgrade.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I will wait and see how essential the knuckle controllers would be for HL-A and decide then.
What bugs me most about the OG Vive Controllers is that stupid track pad. Games like Skyrim, where you can walk around using the pad are really hard to play for me because the pad is sooo finicky.
Oh then you'll be really happy with the Knuckles. That and the grip buttons were my biggest issues with the Wands and they fix both. Ironically Oculus exclusive games have been the best showcase for them since they translate perfectly.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks way way better than I expected. Still Im getting a feeling its an episode instead of a full game.
But doesnt matter what it is, Im hyped.

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Thread Derailment

Problem is there would be many more quality games playable in PS5, but with VR, I'm afraid there won't be much besides a few.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Oh then you'll be really happy with the Knuckles. That and the grip buttons were my biggest issues with the Wands and they fix both. Ironically Oculus exclusive games have been the best showcase for them since they translate perfectly.

hmmm is that oculus viking god game playable with the OG vive and knuckle controllers.
At the release there were some issues and I did not follow them too closely.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Apart the graphic, that looks incredible for a VR title, the trailer didnt get me.
Looks like the physic could be a good part of the gameplay? (more than one time we see the player moving objects from shelves...)
Looks like an AAA Fps on VR.
But from my VR experience, all the games that literally I loved in VR, where something different from "Classic" experiences that I could imagine would fit in VR.
Thumper, Statik, Astrobot, Rigs...

I hope this game will help VR get even more boost, cant wait to see what the future will bring.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been battling with dodgy trackpads with my Vive too since launch. I found myself not using VR often enough to spend more money on it but since the game will be a freebie now, they got me and I bought the Index controllers now.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that looks pretty amazing. By far the best looking VR game I've laid my eyes upon for sure.

It sucks I cant handle VR though, but probably for the best as I would crap myself if a facehugger jumped on me like that.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've been battling with dodgy trackpads with my Vive too since launch. I found myself not using VR often enough to spend more money on it but since the game will be a freebie now, they got me and I bought the Index controllers now.

Please let me know how the combination works and if you get around you experiences with Asgards Wrath should you ever play it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The real hype is gunna start when we get a gameplay walkthrough. I hope they've got advancements in multiple areas, not just VR. The HL2 tech demo introduced innovation pretty much across the board. Would love to see something similar again.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the things in The Lab that people who try it have talked about at length was how awesome the small robot dog was. I've personally seen people refuse to exit that part of the demo, playing fetch with the dog, petting it, just generally playing with it. The dog fake AI they have is really convincing.

Just imagine how that's going to be applied to Dog in half life Alyx. This is going to be awesome.