• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I saw the trailer and I can't help but get powerful nostalgia of the times when I played Half Life. Love this entire universe and am keen as hell for this entry.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way the final game is gonna look that good. Just take a look at the history of AAA games pre-release media! Although I'm sure the drop-off won't be too big.
I do think the game is beautiful but it's mostly due to art direction, I don't see anything super crazy about how it looks if anything it looks less technically "intensive" than let's say, Gears 5.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Game looks good. It's been far too long of a wait. Will the game really have the disembodied floating hands though? That looks shit. Also sad I won't be playing it because VR makes me wanna vomit.

Have you tried any of the latest headsets in a standing environment/game? They have made some progress with motion sickness.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure, that looks interesting enough to keep an eye on. Maybe my Vive will finally get to play something else, and not just be a glorified Beat Saber machine, which to be fair is an amazing game.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best looking vr game ive seen, not so much in graphics tho it looks incredible, but in the vr animations. Course that could all just be the trailer tricks, but it might inspire me to buy a vr headset

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played with the Oculus Rift S a few months back and I wasn't too impressed with its IQ. That's a shame, cause the trailer looks absolutely bonkers.

Yeah, even with all the progress they have made, the headsets and IQ still feel like first generation tech. I bought a Vive Pro in the beginning of the year, but returned it after a week. I tried a bunch of the demos and virtual tours, and it is all very promising, but nothing was really compelling beyond the initial novelty of it. Half Life looks and sounds like it may be that killer app, but the headset IQ still has a long way to go before I buy another one.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, even though I bought a headset today and am pumped for this game, I do kind of wish it was coming to PSVR. I think the hype would be even higher around here with less negative comments. Black Friday is coming up and those headsets will be at a good price. Plus there are other games there like Astro Bot, Beat Saber and such I'm sure some people want to check out, but can't justify the headset on just 1 game.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds of some sort of prototype of the gravity gun showing up in this game? I think chances are high.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
I have an original Vive, running on a GTX1070.

Index owners, if you had to pick only one, what would you consider the biggest upgrade of these options?

-Index headset
-Index controllers
-GPU upgrade

I'm considering just going with the controllers as I'm not sure my 1070 can really do the Index headset justice.

Good move?

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Index owners, if you had to pick only one, what would you consider the biggest upgrade of these options?

-Index headset
-Index controllers
-GPU upgrade

I'm considering just going with the controllers as I'm not sure my 1070 can really do the Index headset justice.

Good move?
Controllers.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
1. We forgive you king!

2. Holy mother of god this game looks amazing. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this turns out to be a worthy successor to HL2. Every instinct in my body says this is going to be pure awesomeness.

3. Fuck. I'm probably going to have to buy a Valve Index :(

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alright alright. So I got a chance to sit down and watch this on my headphones instead of the shitty computer speaker at work/on a bigger screen. My hype is actually rising now. It was much, much more of a teaser than a trailer, but... I need to see more.

I'm still incredibly, incredibly disappointed that Merle Dandridge isn't returning to the role though.

Do we know why this didn't happen? Sorry if it's already been answered. She was just fantastic.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Looks great, but a lot of people will end up just watching the lets play on youtube I think. I can't even buy most vr headsets for reasonable price in my country :|

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Alright alright. So I got a chance to shit down and watch this on my headphones instead of the shitty computer speaker at work/on a bigger screen. My hype is actually rising now. It was much, much more of a teaser than a trailer, but... I need to see more.

I'm still incredibly, incredibly disappointed that Merle Dandridge isn't returning to the role though.

Do we know why this didn't happen? Sorry if it's already been answered. She was just fantastic.
lol

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Alright alright. So I got a chance to shit down and watch this on my headphones instead of the shitty computer speaker at work/on a bigger screen. My hype is actually rising now. It was much, much more of a teaser than a trailer, but... I need to see more.

Alyx is like Late teens/early 20s in HL:A and they wanted her to have a younger voice. Merle seems pretty excited about the game on twitter regardless though

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trailer suggests Prequel with maybe some things up to and past ep 2. And given I'd need to drop a grand for a their VR setup, consider me less than thrilled. Looks cool, tho

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The first Portal 2 trailer had much higher visual fidelity than the final game.

The actual game has none of that volumetric lighting.

Portal 2 was a good example of how old PS3/360 were by 2011 & how much they were holding games back, even in the dev commentary they mention having to rewrite a lot of code because of 360's CPU.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
WHOOPS lol
Alyx is like Late teens/early 20s in HL:A and they wanted her to have a younger voice. Merle seems pretty excited about the game on twitter regardless though
MEH, that's not a big difference! Did they even allow her to audition? There's a grown woman who plays Clementine in TWD series and and older version (teenish I believe?)

Isn't Alyx like 20s in HL2/episodes anyway?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So...

They're giving us a game about saving a guy we watched die during the cliffhanger ending of a game they'll never make a sequel to.

Cheeky bastards.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-Index headset
-Index controllers
-GPU upgrade

Good move?

Skip all of these and buy the wireless adapter

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

-Index headset
-Index controllers
-GPU upgrade

Good move?
I'd probably go with controllers now and hold off on the HMD until you upgrade your GPU. I have a 1080 and feel like I'm just barely getting by with it. You could probably still get by with a 1070 but you'd need to make sacrifices on the more demanding games. I'd hold off on the Index until next year when nvidia releases their next line of GPUs. I'm really looking forward to that so I can up my refresh rate to 120 and use more SS

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn. I wanna play this but upgrading my GPU, getting a VR unit + controllers is going to be one hell of a commitment to play the next HL.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

-Index headset
-Index controllers
-GPU upgrade

Good move?
The price tag is hard to swallow but the controllers unless you really have no issues with the Vive Wands.

Skip all of these and buy the wireless adapter
Actually yeah, this is the right choice if you have a Vive as long as you don't feel the need to upgrade your headset for the next few years. I have an Index with the controllers but it was hard leaving my wireless Vive behind. It was a huge leap in usability.